Marriage equality debate - The plebiscite is on its way. (Cont in Pt 3)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Western civilisation is based on the Romans who weren't religious.. but keep grasping.

Bit more complicated than that.

The Catholic Church was for centuries at the center of the development of the values, ideas, science, laws, and institutions which constitute Western civilization. Empiricism later gave rise to the scientific method during the Scientific revolution and the Enlightenment. Values of Western culture have, throughout history, been derived from political thought, widespread employment of rational argument favouring freethought, assimilation of human rights, the need for equality and democracy.

Ancient Greece is considered the birthplace of many elements of Western culture, with the world's first democratic system of government and major advances in philosophy, science and mathematics. Greece was followed by Rome, which made key contributions in law, government, engineering and political organization. Western culture continued to develop with the Christianisation of Europe during the Middle Ages and the reform and modernization triggered by the Renaissance. The Church preserved the intellectual developments of classical antiquity, and is the reason many of them are still known today. Medieval Christianity created the university, the hospital system, scientific economics, natural law (which would later influence the creation of international law), and numerous other innovations across all intellectual fields. Christianity played a role in ending practices common among pagan societies, such as human sacrifice, slavery, infanticide and polygamy. The globalization by successive European empires spread European ways of life and European educational methods around the world between the 16th and 20th centuries.[citation needed] European culture developed with a complex range of philosophy, medieval scholasticism and mysticism, and Christian and secular humanism. Rational thinking developed through a long age of change and formation, with the experiments of the Enlightenment, and breakthroughs in the sciences.​

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_culture

Yes, imagine the gloating and smugness from the No campaigners if there is a "No" result. It would be unbearable. :(

This is what is worrying me. There may be a split in the yes vote (similar to the Republic referendum). The Republic was (and is) the popular position but there was friction on the model which caused some to vote against.

Do you guys think monogamy is a key foundation of marriage?
Do you think being able to marry will encourage a higher level of monogamy amongst gay men?

I hope the yes vote has a decent public relations strategy in mind.
If they roll out a campaign like this I don't think the people on the fence will be swayed.

Do you think being able to marry will encourage a higher level of monogamy amongst gay men?
That really depends on the relationship. I'm sure there will be gay men that marry and swing just like their heterosexual counter parts.

Monogamy is supposedly a key foundation of marriage, but it certainly hasn't worked with heterosexual marriage, so I'm not sure if it will be any different amongst the gay community.

Not sure what your point is?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You stated in an earlier post that I made a post about interracial marriages leading to the downfall of society.

I made no such post.
My apologies it was a different individual.

You just think the relationships are less than hetros.

Much better. Nothing personal in that

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

What are people trying to achieve by boycotting the postal vote? It appears to be the pro SSM side that is suggesting it, which seems very 'cutting off the nose to spite the face' to me.

Am I missing something?
The big unknown is what result a voluntary postal vote will deliver, which is something out of their control.

If they try to cloud the process with a boycott, it makes it easier to dismiss a no result.

Monogamy is supposedly a key foundation of marriage, but it certainly hasn't worked with heterosexual marriage, so I'm not sure if it will be any different amongst the gay community.
There is a pretty big disparity in the rates of monogamy between heterosexual and gay male couples.

What are people trying to achieve by boycotting the postal vote? It appears to be the pro SSM side that is suggesting it, which seems very 'cutting off the nose to spite the face' to me.

Am I missing something?
A couple of reasons:
1. This could simply be solved by having a Parliamentary vote
2. Waste of $122 million
3. Result isn't binding
4. If a 'yes' vote succeeds it still goes to a Parliamentary vote where even if a 'yes' vote was a majority from the plebiscite it can still be stopped in Parliament
5. Some members of Parliament have stated they will vote 'no' and it doesn't matter if their electorate voted 'yes'

A couple of reasons:
1. This could simply be solved by having a Parliamentary vote
2. Waste of $122 million
3. Result isn't binding
4. If a 'yes' vote succeeds it still goes to a Parliamentary vote where even if a 'yes' vote was a majority from the plebiscite it can still be stopped in Parliament
5. Some members of Parliament have stated they will vote 'no' and it doesn't matter if their electorate voted 'yes'

Yeah I get all that. I'm of the opinion that a plebiscite/postal vote is a complete waste of time and money for all the reasons you've listed. But imo they are reasons to not have the vote in the first place; if the vote is going to happen regardless I just can't see how boycotting it will do anything but help the anti SSM brigade.

Yeah I get all that. I'm of the opinion that a plebiscite/postal vote is a complete waste of time and money for all the reasons you've listed. But imo they are reasons to not have the vote in the first place; if the vote is going to happen regardless I just can't see how boycotting it will do anything but help the anti SSM brigade.
It will help them in the short term. SSM is going to happen, if the plebiscite failed it's just stalling the inevitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back