Game Day Match Sim - Roos v Tigers - Arden St - 10am

Remove this Banner Ad

De Goey had 15 x 20+ possession games last year, I doubt Zurhaar has 3.

He’s had 2 in his 84 games in his career to date.

Not even close to the natural midfielder De Goey is.
I personally thought that Zurhaar was bang average for most of the game and made way too many mistakes by trying to do too much.

The only benefit was his added size and attack at the footy in the centre bounces, but with Cunnington back in that becomes less necessary.

The way I see it is that currently there’s marginal returns, he needs some work on his pure stoppage craft, is more needed up forward, and is taking valuable centre bounce time from our full time mids.

I don’t want to be reactionary and say it won’t work, but he needs to improve a bit, especially to get to De Goey level. He’s a pinch hitter at best - 10% CBAs when we need a spark.

I personally thought that Zurhaar was bang average for most of the game and made way too many mistakes by trying to do too much.

The only benefit was his added size and attack at the footy in the centre bounces, but with Cunnington back in that becomes less necessary.

The way I see it is that currently there’s marginal returns, he needs some work on his pure stoppage craft, is more needed up forward, and is taking valuable centre bounce time from our full time mids.

I don’t want to be reactionary and say it won’t work, but he needs to improve a bit, especially to get to De Goey level. He’s a pinch hitter at best - 10% CBAs when we need a spark.

He can still be very handy without necessarily approaching De Goey’s output.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Zurhaar going to be that de goey type player for us
I would of said Stringer but I get your point.

Don't mid seeing Cam and Curtis in CBA as impact players. Perhaps 5-10 mins a quarter against the opposition 2nd string.

We are already seeing signs Cunners and Simpkin will spend some time in the forward line, so it makes sense.

He can still be very handy without necessarily approaching De Goey’s output.

Would have to be a strictly bash and crash stint. If he stays in there a minute too long I can see him hampering our midfield output. He has forward instincts, he moves like a forward, there's a very fine line between utilising his robust style of play in the midfield and negatively affecting the midfield

I would of said Stringer but I get your point.

Don't mid seeing Cam and Curtis in CBA as impact players. Perhaps 5-10 mins a quarter against the opposition 2nd string.

We are already seeing signs Cunners and Simpkin will spend some time in the forward line, so it makes sense.
Yeah this is the part I think people are not getting - that there will be a lot more rotation of mids through forward and backline rather than the bench.

Also, I certainly wouldn't have thought that Cam was the type to leave his pregnant missus for a schoolgirl but I get your point.

I think a Stringer comparison is more accurate. Predominantly a forward with bursts in the midfield mainly to win clearances.

I wish we would just play Zurhaar forward of the centre square. With two good talls as forward targets he could either be another target or cause mayhem when the ball hits the deck. His pressure will cause turnovers and help to lock the ball in our attacking area for longer than has been the case for many years. I think he is the perfect foil for Larkey and Comben and the likes of Curtis and Sheezel will benefit immensely from the opportunities his pressure on the ball would create for them. I just don't see Cam being nearly as effective and important as a mid. Cam was good with very little support last year. I think he'll be great with better players around him and a better forward structure.
How about this possible synergy:

Curtis Comben Sheezel
Watson Larkey Zurhaar

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nor does he have the skill or the blistering pace, from a stoppage.

Bull will never die wondering though. Has him for courage, and always will.

The one thing that brought a tear to my eye (in a good way), was when there was a play on the wing close to Richmond's defensive 50, and our players were not all suckered into going for the ball like moths to the light. It was so good to see them play smart footy and hold back, making it more difficult for the opposition to exit the contest.

It was so refreshing seeing this, instead of seeing four players run towards one player and then seeing the easy handball over the top. This used to do my head in. It was like they had no idea about a basic function of defending.

The one thing that brought a tear to my eye (in a good way), was when there was a play on the wing close to Richmond's defensive 50, and our players were not all suckered into going for the ball like moths to the light. It was so good to see them play smart footy and hold back, making it more difficult for the opposition to exit the contest.

It was so refreshing seeing this, instead of seeing four players run towards one player and then seeing the easy handball over the top. This used to do my head in. It was like they had no idea about a basic function of defending.
And here in lies the value of a coach that knows how to get a message across. It's one thing to be able to devise a strategy, have a game plan, speak well in front of the group or media, but getting your team to actually execute on the game plan when it matters, would have to be the number one trait of a good coach. (Of course the other things are important too!)

Clarkson in such a short space of time appears to be making real in roads to how we play.

This was a Clarko clearances specialty at Hawthorn with the way he had Sam Mitchell extracting and drawing a crowd, while others like Lewis and Sewell waited outside for him to feed them. There was a game down in Tasmania in 2007 where Laidley unpicked their game plan by instructing Rawlings and Simpson to ignore the contested ball at stoppages and sweat on Lewis and Sewell on the outside. We smashed them in that game. It was a Laidley masterclass.

I've sat through all six quarters. The last two were tough, made worse by the commentators who didn't know many of our VFL listed players names or just talked dribble which was frustrating. While he didn't do a lot it was nice to see Edwards kick two, one from a nice mark and the other from a tight angle on the boundary. The kid is young and raw. I hope we give him time to build his confidence as a forward.

No problem with five of them, but I don't know who Watson is. In any case, that would be the strongest forward set up we've had for a long time.
I was looking at some games in 2014-2017 era, and we had some incredible firepower up forward:

M.Wood Petrie Harvey
Waite Brown Thomas

+throw in Daw for good measure. That is one sick forward setup.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back