Matt Rendell...

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a really simple question:

Do you understand that warning that bad things are going to happen is not the same as saying you want bad things to happen?

What is the problem, why can't you answer this? Afraid of anything?

You are misrepresenting the situation to pretend that is the only problem. If you listen to Triggs interview on 5aa or Rendells interview on MMM it is clear there were several other issues as well.

The guy AGONIZED over the decision. He doesn't report it to the people he should report it to, instead mentions it to a national paper. That's just odd. One would think if it was weighing on his mind so heavily, it wouldn't have just slipped out in a newspaper interview. Again, seems odd.

How and why it was leaked to the press are two of my biggest concerns over the story. Supposedly Mifsud had reported it to the AFL prior to discussing it in the interview - the Crows had been told of the incident tehe Wednesday before Mifsud rasied it in the media. This stinks - Mifsud would have known it was a current inssue and in the course of being handled - he should have said nothing to the paper - seemingly as he had been for almost two months prior to that.

The other is what Trigg said about mediation - if the story hadn't been leaked to the media then Rendell would have been sent for mediation with Mifsud and we may never have heard of it.

No.

But they do tell you that its already been summarized and why don't you look it up. When you say you can't find it and please repost it, you get called a racist. :D

Trigg wouldn't go into details on tha radio, just stated that it wouldn't be in Rendells best interest to release what was said. Rendell said he remembered a bit more of the conversation that he didn't detail on Footy Classified and wouldn't be drawn into exactly what that was. Both sides of the story are saying there was more to it than the "one white parent" comments - and even Rendell was refusing to go into details.

I'm not supporting either side atm, had a bit of fun on the bay when it first leaked but it's just an interesting story to me atm.

So Vlad comes out without any knowledge saying that the person who made the "one white parent" comment had better start looking for other employment and we are seriously supposed to believe that Trigg is telling the truth?

The best way to lie in these situations is to tell half truths as though you are trying to trick a polygraph - it helps you to deliver your BS convincingly.

For example, Rendell's position did actually become untenable because his continued employement would make Vlad look like the dick he is. We all know what a vindictive prat Vlad can be so it is clear that for Trigg and Adelaide (who are in the firing line), Rendell's position was actually "untenable". Obviously, and most importantly, this has nothing to do with the fact that Rendell is racist or that he did anything wrong.

Another example, Mifsud has "agonised" over the decision to dobb in Rendell. Mifsud likes to beat his chest in public to push his cause forward and he clearly underestimated Vlad's reponse to the situation and would not have expected to be asked to give up the name or his job. Given that Mifsud is friends with Rendell it is quite clearly a very difficult decision one would "agonise" over.

There is a whole lot of hearsay about a comments used to emphasise a worst case scenario resulting in the public disgrace of a man with the references and record in the game that suggests that he is anything but racist.

To even say they are Rendell's comments completely misses the point because it implies they had a substance which did not exist. At this stage all we actually know is that he used the comments to emphasis a worst case scenario. There is no need to apologise for comments that were not improperly motivated.

By the time Mifsud say anythign he and the AFL will have had the best part of a week to contrive a response to this situation. I really don't know why we should believe anything they have to say.

I think the most interesting chapter is still to come tomorrow night on The Marngrook Footy Show which will have Jason Misfud on it.

(ABC2, 8.30 - Ill be posting it here shortly after for those who miss it)

Marngrook's tweet last night and the promo on their website might give us a taste of how the interview will pan out? Treating what are presently "alleged" racist comments as a proven fact?

Twitter:
@jason_mifsud breaks his silence & speaks exclusively to @marngrook following Matt Rendell's racist comments. 8:30 Thurs @ABC2
5 hours ago

From the Marngrook website:http://www.marngrookfootyshow.com.au/ (directly linked from their abc.net.au homepage):

Mifsud speaks - EXCLUSIVE to Marngrook
SUBMITTED BY MARNGROOK STAFF ON WED, 03/21/2012 - 19:49 IN NEWS STORY
The Marngrook Footy Show has an exclusive interview with the AFL's Community Engagements Officer, Jason Mifsud, on our first show of the year, this Thursday night.

The issue of Indigenous participation in AFL football has been a huge topic over the last month, which culminated in the sacking of Adelaide's recruiting officer Matt Rendell last Friday after he made racist comments to Jason Mifsud in a meeting about multicultural participation in the game earlier in the month.

Jason opens up to the Marngrook Footy Show and spoke about his vision for the game and the participation of Indigenous people.

Our expert panel will discuss the issue and give their views on what direction the AFL should take next... and you can catch it all, exclusive to Marngrook and ABC2, Thursday 8:30pm.

He is being sanctified. Some people are taking everything he says at face value and assuming his version is the unvarnished truth. Naturally they are also assuming everything that contradicts him is a lie and/or a conspiracy.

Your username, join date and lack of interest in any other subject suggest you've got an axe to grind on this issue - whatever, but don't pretend to be objective.

Of the people most closely involved in the orginial conversation, we've heard one side only and will hear one more tonight. Of the peope involved in the sacking we've heard from Rendell and Trigg (and at least a bit less directly involved, Demetriou and McLachlan) - Rendell's version has not yet been backed by anyone. Doesn't make him a bad guy - he's obviously confused and angry and we all see our own actions in the best light. But it doesn't make him a total victim either.

I think he was hard done by and should have been offered and gone through mediation instead of being sacked. But from his FC interview I wouldn't be surprised if he'd flown off the handle and just brought his secretly-planned retirement a few months closer instead.

Of course Rendell's version hasn't been backed by anyone because the only other people involved (Demetriou, Trigg, Mifsud and Fahour) will come out looking even worse if they backed it. It's not in their best interests to back it, it is in their best interests to discredit it anyway they can. As you said we still haven't heard anyone else's version of events in any detail other than a few vague half arsed insinuations so how are people expected to take their side ahead of Rendell's side.

I know Mifsud is appearing on the Marngrook show tonight but I wouldn't expect any great insight from that interview. Apparently it was pre-recorded and sounds like a very soft, scripted interview. They don't ask any of the relevent questions like why did Mifsud take two months to report Rendell's comments or what were the other offensive comments Rendell apparently made on top of the one white parent comment. You can almost guarantee that every question asked on the show will have been screened by the AFL first and all of Mifsud's answers to the approved questions will be prepared for him.

What I would have liked to have seen was Mifsud or Demetriou go on The Footy Show and get grilled by Sam Newman, now that would be a great interview with no punches pulled. Of course they would never agree to that.

How and why it was leaked to the press are two of my biggest concerns over the story. Supposedly Mifsud had reported it to the AFL prior to discussing it in the interview - the Crows had been told of the incident tehe Wednesday before Mifsud rasied it in the media. This stinks - Mifsud would have known it was a current inssue and in the course of being handled - he should have said nothing to the paper - seemingly as he had been for almost two months prior to that.

The other is what Trigg said about mediation - if the story hadn't been leaked to the media then Rendell would have been sent for mediation with Mifsud and we may never have heard of it.

This is what bothers me, lets assume Rendell has said something deeply offensive. Here's a guy who was a much loved Fitzroy stalwart for ten years, a dual best and fairest winner and club captain. He has been around football as an assistant coach and recruiter for the last twenty years. Couldn't he have been given a chance at mediation, just maybe a guy who has had a blameless involvement with footy for over thirty years should get a second chance?
It is unclear wether he was offered a chance at redemption or forgiveness. I can only assume that everybody that transgress's in the future will receive similar treatment

Trigg wouldn't go into details on tha radio, just stated that it wouldn't be in Rendells best interest to release what was said. Rendell said he remembered a bit more of the conversation that he didn't detail on Footy Classified and wouldn't be drawn into exactly what that was. Both sides of the story are saying there was more to it than the "one white parent" comments - and even Rendell was refusing to go into details.

I'm not supporting either side atm, had a bit of fun on the bay when it first leaked but it's just an interesting story to me atm.

Already most people would think Rendell's comment as first portrayed has been taken out of context - even though most people would say it was an inappropriate way to make his point.

Most people agree that Rendell meant well, and was concerned to help indigenous players.

Most people would agree that Rendell wears his heart on his sleeve and puts his foot in his mouth from time to time. So any thing else would have to be pretty bad before most people would stop giving him some leeway.

So what on earth extra could there be? Are we to believe in that meeting that Rendell went from at the very least, well meaning, to outright racist? :D

I'm sorry RonSon, that's far too intelligent and thought-out for the bay. I'm very much in the same boat; it was a good laugh at the beginning; you'll always be 119 and we'll always be KKKrows now, but the issue is serious and the stench is getting worse every day. I suspect this will be Marngrook's best ever rated episode, for sure.

Marngrook's tweet last night and the promo on their website might give us a taste of how the interview will pan out? Treating what are presently "alleged" racist comments as a proven fact?

@jason_mifsud breaks his silence & speaks exclusively to @marngrook following Matt Rendell's racist comments. 8:30 Thurs @ABC2
5 hours ago

From the Marngrook website:http://www.marngrookfootyshow.com.au/ (directly linked from their abc.net.au homepage):

Mifsud speaks - EXCLUSIVE to Marngrook
SUBMITTED BY MARNGROOK STAFF ON WED, 03/21/2012 - 19:49 IN NEWS STORY
The Marngrook Footy Show has an exclusive interview with the AFL's Community Engagements Officer, Jason Mifsud, on our first show of the year, this Thursday night.

The issue of Indigenous participation in AFL football has been a huge topic over the last month, which culminated in the sacking of Adelaide's recruiting officer Matt Rendell last Friday after he made racist comments to Jason Mifsud in a meeting about multicultural participation in the game earlier in the month.

Jason opens up to the Marngrook Footy Show and spoke about his vision for the game and the participation of Indigenous people.

Our expert panel will discuss the issue and give their views on what direction the AFL should take next... and you can catch it all, exclusive to Marngrook and ABC2, Thursday 8:30pm.

That's poor journalism. Could get a job with one of the major tabloids, being that inaccurate. Sacking = resignation, alledged, January. Surely they'd been following the case at some stage??

My general feeling is that not many people are enamoured with Mr Mifsud, and if his performance tonight - in a pre-recorded interview, no less - isn't satisfactory, or if the interviewer isn't sufficiently probing in their line of questioning... the court of public opinion may swing against him dearly.

Already most people would think Rendell's comment as first portrayed has been taken out of context - even though most people would say it was an inappropriate way to make his point.

Most people agree that Rendell meant well, and was concerned to help indigenous players.

Most people would agree that Rendell wears his heart on his sleeve and puts his foot in his mouth from time to time. So any thing else would have to be pretty bad before most people would stop giving him some leeway.

So what on earth extra could there be? Are we to believe in that meeting that Rendell went from at the very least, well meaning, to outright racist? :D

apparently there was a comment about punctuality ("you blokes are always late?") and something comparing African kids to Aussie indigenous kids ("you blokes/your mob"?) I'd be surprised if he dropped the "A" word, a la Dipper. That would have been a suspension only ;).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can someone let me know about everything going on with this thread. Don't want to read 50 odd pages and want to contribute with the post

apparently there was a comment about punctuality ("you blokes are always late?") and something comparing African kids to Aussie indigenous kids ("you blokes/your mob"?) I'd be surprised if he dropped the "A" word, a la Dipper. That would have been a suspension only ;).

Hmmm? "You blokes?" I thought Mifsud arrived first by himself. :confused:

"You blokes", being AFL employees? :p

Rendell is on record as saying he got told off for calling indigenous players Aboriginals by Mifsud when they were working together at St Kilda.

Just speculating, but anyway I do wonder if there is some element of "exaggeration" in Mifsud's story as being hurt and upset at Rendell’s comments during this meeting ..

I remember him tweeting after the Paul Roos and James Hird article he wrote, in reply to some criticism of the story, that either way its "great to get the topic out in the open to openly discuss" etc...I remember thinking his motive must have been to just get people talking..

anyway, what would i know..

Can someone let me know about everything going on with this thread. Don't want to read 50 odd pages and want to contribute with the post
Everyone agrees Rendell could have chosen his words better. His track record doesn't suggest he has racist tendencies.

The main questions are did Vlad force Trigg to get Rendell's resignation? If so, did Rendell deserve to be (effectively) sacked? Why did Mifsud wait 6 weeks to "complain"? What part did Fahour play? Did the reporting of Rendell's comments threaten a financial deal involving the AFL?

BTW check out page 68 for some serious pwnage :D:thumbsu: (post 805)

Also some posters won't answer a direct question :rolleyes:

I don't believe Matt Rendell is racist. I think he's a genuinely good guy.

But he has now taken ownership of his mistake, so all the conspiracy theorists should find something else to take up their time with now.

It was a mistake, a pretty huge one.

Whether he worded it clumsily or not, or whether his intentions were just or not, he insinuated that having one white parent is "better" than two black parents. That is inexcusable for anyone. But the fact that he is also a head recruiter? There was no other choice.

He himself has said there was no other choice, he had to have been stood down.

No way.

You don't think he was pressured by the AFL and the AFC?

The guy genuinely loves the Adelaide Football Club, and the AFL itself; he's trying to minimise the damage.

And the AFL with Mifsud and Fahour and Co (and that includes the Crows) can get ****ed - their stories and the level of offence are constantly changing; they have no credibility.

The AFL have used a sledgehammer to kill a fly; they've taken action before they were even fully aware of the situation and now they're trying to justify their behaviour; knowing public opinion (and media) is largely against them.

I think equally as important for Andrew was that the comments had offended one of his employees who's brother is responsible for allocating significant sponsorship money to the AFL, and who's inital sponsorship seems to loosely correlate to the time the offended individual took up employment from the AFL.

This is the huge elephant in the room that nobody is willing to address.

Somebody Tweet Robbo, he actually seems like he has a pair of balls and a sense of decency - see if he'll pursue it.

Again, he was INSINUATING it.

In Australia children who have one white parent and one black parent are discriminated against less the ‘whiter’ they look.

I have no evidence to back that up but I reckon it is true*.

I’m not insinuating anything at all with that statement other than its face value. I’m talking about racism, I am not being racist.

*I also think it is completely disgraceful

That's what I'm saying ;) I was asking Roby how many racists were in the thread as he seems to see them everywhere.
I,d like to add, that Matt Rendell was also thinking about the future life after football for these young men, with education , that could allow them to go home and make lives much better than they are for some at the moment.

We have a problem here in Perth at the moment where indiginous people are making a stand on something that, I as a white fella don,t really understand, they are camped on Herrison Island next to the city.

They are angry some are violent some are being abused by passers by in boats and cars going over the causeway.

They definately have a very heavy serious issue but they don,t seem to know how to make the point , because maybe the way we,ve treated these people over two centuries there are thousands of issues in their experience and in their minds.

I would like to ask any indiginous person on Bigfooty whether full recognition and respect for them and recognition of their ownership of this country is really what this is all about . Rather than wanting to take over and own outright everything, do they simply want some decent recognition of their important existance to this place we all live on.

We need to get close to these people and understand them. When one of the protest leaders on Herrison Island yells threats and foul language at a a provocative radio individual Howard Sattler , he does his cause no good at all .

Sattler indeed sounds provocative most of the time , I personally believe he is a style radio propagandist , in his private life he is probably a good bloke.

He goes about his radio business looking for problems and brings out the worst in his listeners, by the same token, he does some good things too.

My point is that with good education and help, some of these young footballers, Matt Rendell was trying to look after. Might be able to take on issues like this and make their points without the war like circumstance we will have here soon.

Football Australian rules style is appropriately named , the first races here for 40 to 60 thousand years fit AUSTRALIAN FOOTBALL like it was purposely made for them , it fits them so well that maybe its the only and the best way most of the time to allow remote tribal people and indigenous people in general the greatest chance to mix as equals in this country and so we white fellas can become real Aussies too, if someone takes offence to "us becomming real Ausseis too" and to we all being one , then you have no idea what I,m talking about , and thats a great pity , we must understand our first nation people and become one nation.

Now if that sounds shmaltzy and bullshitty it shouldn,t because if we in this modern world don,t recognise our first peoples they will resent and hate forever , and thats not evolving together at all, thats just being mongrels like we have in the past.

Every one of us is capable of being racist or saying things the wrong way and appear racist, we have to get to a stage where we can throw political correctness out the gate and have a comment or even a joke with our own Aussie people without being massacred
by official fools , like Andrew Dimetriou, who is full of words but no substance , like a stupid recording.

No way.

You don't think he was pressured by the AFL and the AFC?

The guy genuinely loves the Adelaide Football Club, and the AFL itself; he's trying to minimise the damage.

And the AFL with Mifsud and Fahour and Co (and that includes the Crows) can get ****ed - their stories and the level of offence are constantly changing; they have no credibility.

The AFL have used a sledgehammer to kill a fly; they've taken action before they were even fully aware of the situation and now they're trying to justify their behaviour; knowing public opinion (and media) is largely against them.

This is the huge elephant in the room that nobody is willing to address.

Somebody Tweet Robbo, he actually seems like he has a pair of balls and a sense of decency - see if he'll pursue it.
Out of interest, have you contacted the Crows (as a supporter and, I assume, member) to let them know how you feel?

Do you know if many other Adelaide supporters/members have done likewise?

I'm just sensing they may have copped a fair bit of flak from their own over this issue.

And I ask because I have no issue whatsoever in contacting the club I support and letting them know exactly how I feel if I am not happy with them (and I have done it several times :D ).

If I was Rendell, assuming his version of the story is correct, then I wouldn't have resigned, I would have made them sack me then taken them to court for unfair dismissal.

Rendell genuinely loves the Crows, he wouldn't do that.

And I hope to christ we've given him a massive payout (all of his contract), I suspect we would've.

Sherb - I haven't mate, but plenty have.

Everyone agrees Rendell could have chosen his words better. His track record doesn't suggest he has racist tendencies.

The main questions are did Vlad force Trigg to get Rendell's resignation? If so, did Rendell deserve to be (effectively) sacked? Why did Mifsud wait 6 weeks to "complain"? What part did Fahour play? Did the reporting of Rendell's comments threaten a financial deal involving the AFL?

BTW check out page 68 for some serious pwnage :D:thumbsu:

Also some posters won't answer a direct question :rolleyes:

Thank you very much Werewolf

You are misrepresenting the situation to pretend that is the only problem. If you listen to Triggs interview on 5aa or Rendells interview on MMM it is clear there were several other issues as well.

From all the talk in the press I realise that other things happened and it is a more complex situation than we know about.

I am specifically talking about how the incident played out in the media and how poorly handled the entire affair has been.

The sensational and unfair headline got him fired. He may well have been insensitive in other cases, but these issues would have been much better dealt with outside the blazing media spotlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back