Confirmed Max Holmes [re-signed with Geelong through 2028]

Remove this Banner Ad

What Holmes offers is something Geelong appreciate and desperately needs but in truth he would get a game in any best 22. The recent CBA agreement is going to see several contract numbers for young players go thru the roof. so yes... it going to be a very big contract for Max and for a lot of other young kids with potential. If not this year then in 2025 and clubs with a lot of young talent will feel the squeeze to hold them.

If Geelong did lose Holmes ..it will leave them need to add ... they will have even more space to chase out of contract players. Perhaps they would enquire about Bailey Scott again or Tom Powell.

No, certainly not complaining, as I am very happy with the outcome.
It was more the smugness and way it was handled from Mackie and co.

Just looking forward to the shoe being on the other foot.

I think the smugness was all media hype. If they made you angry they got the result.

Mackie isn't in the role anymore anyway so it's not like you're getting one back on him

I think the smugness was all media hype. If they made you angry they got the result.

Mackie isn't in the role anymore anyway so it's not like you're getting one back on him
Mackie's press conferences were not 'media hype'. Bloke was acting like an absolute campaigner during that trade period.

I'd never normally defend Collingwood on any topic but Mackie in his couple of years in the job was genuinely as bad as Dodoro.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just looking forward to the shoe being on the other foot.
Henry was the shoe being on the other foot. Pies came and poached Kreuger from us the year prior, switch the roles and boy did your mob start screeching like banshees. I guess being on the receiving end for a change was a humbling experience.

Oh I hope he wants to come to Collingwood, as I remember the fun had when Mummy Henry missed his bed.

A future second should get the job done.

...T. Mitchell
...McStay
...B. Hill
...Frampton
...Kreuger
...Lipinski
...Schultz

Over the last 3 years. You forced out Treloar and Grundy, and the only one you lost who you didn't want to, was Ollie Henry. Some perspective perhaps.

...T. Mitchell
...McStay
...B. Hill
...Frampton
...Kreuger
...Lipinski
...Schultz

Over the last 3 years. You forced out Treloar and Grundy, and the only one you lost who you didn't want to, was Ollie Henry. Some perspective perhaps.

Rob the poor and the police barely show up

Rob the rich and you'll get hunted to the ends of the earth

1m under the new CBA over the course of a 4 year contract makes it equivalent to about a 750k per annum contract pre-CBA before everyone gets hung up on the number
That number still seems ridiculous to me. He's a good AFL player but that's top 5 at your club money for a mid/wing.

...T. Mitchell
...McStay
...B. Hill
...Frampton
...Kreuger
...Lipinski
...Schultz

Schultz and to a lesser extent Bobby, would be the only players on that list that would be wanted by the other clubs.
McStay was a free agent, so you are clutching there and the rest were superfluous to their clubs needs.

Also we really didn't want to lose Grundy and especially for little return, we just made a complete mess during that period and an unfortunate cleanup was required.

Schultz and to a lesser extent Bobby, would be the only players on that list that would be wanted by the other clubs.
McStay was a free agent, so you are clutching there and the rest were superfluous to their clubs needs.

Also we really didn't want to lose Grundy and especially for little return, we just made a complete mess during that period and an unfortunate cleanup was required.

Lipinski definitely would have had interest. Mitchell too if you guys weren't interested.

With that said, the point I was making was you've been on the beneficial end of several incoming players who have improved your club. Players leave for all kinds of reasons - see Schultz and Bobby Hill as examples. It's just the nature of player movement.

He wasn't Best 22 for you guys, and he is with us. He also is very close with his family, and grew up across the road from Kardinia. It makes sense he'd want to return. No need to keep calling him a 'mummy's boy' because he exercised the same rights that several players in the last 3 years alone have done, in order to join your club. You win some you lose some. We still miss Linc McCarthy.

Lipinski definitely would have had interest. Mitchell too if you guys weren't interested.

With that said, the point I was making was you've been on the beneficial end of several incoming players who have improved your club. Players leave for all kinds of reasons - see Schultz and Bobby Hill as examples. It's just the nature of player movement.

He wasn't Best 22 for you guys, and he is with us. He also is very close with his family, and grew up across the road from Kardinia. It makes sense he'd want to return. No need to keep calling him a 'mummy's boy' because he exercised the same rights that several players in the last 3 years alone have done, in order to join your club. You win some you lose some. We still miss Linc McCarthy.
I am not going to argue with you.

Mainly because you make valid points ;)

Still wouldn't mind having Max but not for the $1mill that has been mentioned.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back