News MFC Rebrand??

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the new logo is very underwhelming. Very simple that a 6 year old kid could of created.
What is even funnier is the club have an article on the graphic designer who came up with the logo. Anyone could put Melbourne in simple cap locks and then tip off the Carlton logo. It is almost a joke that the club has built this up to be a ground breaking moment

What is even funnier is the club have an article on the graphic designer who came up with the logo. Anyone could put Melbourne in simple cap locks and then tip off the Carlton logo. It is almost a joke that the club has built this up to be a ground breaking moment

As a Graphic Designer ... You're really under selling the amount of work and skill involved in producing something like this.

Go and hit caps lock in Word and put that together ...

Pretty much sums it up mate! Now us fans need to get on board the positivity train!

I think some have been on the "train" for quite a few years - some will never get on the "train". Paul Roos made a huge statement this year and finally started addressing the MFC's real problems. It took balls - Thank-you Paul.

AFL football is in the business of professional sport. Professional sport is all about money. Like it or hate it ... Well paid people build awesome, successful football clubs/business's.

Good thing about the "train" is ... most will get on at their own pace. We can leave the rotten, negative, bitter apples on the station platform they outed themselves long ago.

Quite often i consider leaving this forum due to the flat out whinging that goes on. Trade period was rotten on here until the end. And its a shame that those of us that positive about the club sit back to much and the warriors take over. But on the other hand its great to see more enthusiasm when it happens.
As far as the logo goes i like it. I liked the old logo but maybe i was just hanging onto the stynes memory.

New logo and new direction. I love and believe the direction Roos and PJ have taken. Its been hard but it had to be.

New logo, fresh start for the oldest club

I like it. Didn't mind the last one either.

As long as Hogan is wearing it, it doesn't matter what the logo looks like.

I can't believe the negative feedback! It's been received pretty well over on the Footy Jumpers & Graphic Design board. This is what I wrote over there...

For what it's worth, I love this logo. It is slightly laughable that the club has had three major rebrands since the last time they made finals, but this one is the best for future-proofing given it's so simple.
The best thing is how they're really attaching themselves to that Melbourne name. They don't need to isolate the demon entirely like they did in the first rebrand – that was just a cheap grab at attracting a Chinese market, anyway – but there is HUGE brand equity in the club name.

This is the sporting capital of the world, it's a massive tourist destination and if the AFL does eventually start to infiltrate internationally then overseas travellers would want a team. You know how when people from Australia go over to New York and buy a Yankees cap and wear it around everywhere? I reckon that's what the Dees are looking for. Tourists to buy a nice clean navy cap with a beautiful red monogram, wear it around, free advertising for the club. Even if no-one recognises the logo back in the US (or wherever) it's still a great win from a marketing standpoint.

They don't need to isolate the demon entirely like they did in the first rebrand – that was just a cheap grab at attracting a Chinese market, anyway – but there is HUGE brand equity in the club name.
We can use a dragon for all our Chinese merchandise...

I think it's a great logo - simple and effective. When I look at it - it's as if they are trying to recruit new melbournites to become Dees supporters. Good marketing move.

Key things I took from the articles today:

- positioning the club to youth and the uniquely Melbourne lifestyle - trying to be cool and shake the old rich boys type image that comes with the MCC affiliation.
- letting go of the "we invented the game, we're the oldest" line - good! Matters stuff all to potential fans and paints the club as self entitled.
- new logo designed to work well online, old logo had issues standing out. Again, getting with the times.
- the last thing to go from the "mismanaged era". A new slate, a new and modern Melbourne.
- it mounts into insignificance, results do the talking. How does Hawthorn's current logo rate in it's history? Who cares, they have 3 flags. People jump on the bandwagon (and stay there) due to results much more than a clubs brand.

Overall, I like how it positions the club to potential supporters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love how much your club is involving daisy with the brand launch. Every chance to be the inaugural women a brownlow medalist when the women's league begins

This. I don't think this is spoken enough about here. History will show that Melbourne was instrumental in helping pave the way for the development of women's football. Incredibly proud to follow this club.

I posted in the general MFC thread that I was pretty indifferent to the logo but I have to admit that it's growing on me. Also hadn't really considered the implications of strengthening our ties to the city name but it's a good move. I love the city and club so I suppose I'm the target audience.

brb buying $$ merch

In all honesty most of the responses in this thread have been positive at one level or another IMO.

Well Said - MFC have a core of awesome supporters. Resilient bunch with what they have had to endure. ie 95% of our supporters

But we have also a small element of angry, frustrated, depressed , aggressive, negative, conservative supporters that have caused all the problems.

Key things I took from the articles today:

- positioning the club to youth and the uniquely Melbourne lifestyle - trying to be cool and shake the old rich boys type image that comes with the MCC affiliation.
- letting go of the "we invented the game, we're the oldest" line - good! Matters stuff all to potential fans and paints the club as self entitled.
- new logo designed to work well online, old logo had issues standing out. Again, getting with the times.
- the last thing to go from the "mismanaged era". A new slate, a new and modern Melbourne.
- it mounts into insignificance, results do the talking. How does Hawthorn's current logo rate in it's history? Who cares, they have 3 flags. People jump on the bandwagon (and stay there) due to results much more than a clubs brand.

Overall, I like how it positions the club to potential supporters.

Long overdue - ie our re-position/re-branding.

However, the good work has been done thanks to the huge injection of cash by the AFL.

If it was not for the AFL we would have had - no PJ, no Roos and NO MFC.

Very unfair to have a crack at previous admin's that were financially constrained due to being forced to write out cheques to play a game.

Yeah for the life of me I don't know why they got a tattoo artist to do it. But the awesomeness of the idea and the ballsiness to make it happen speaks more loudly than the average piece.
Indeed. I guess getting someone who isn't good mates with the captain to do it would've been hard because most graff artists wouldn't touch this commission with a barge pole.
Side note: I know of half a dozen taggers that are now tattooists or graphic designers. They are all richer than most of us :(

uh
yeah
as with all art "I/a child could've done that" ends up with the riposte "Why didn't you, then?"

Idea is as important as the execution.

This. I don't think this is spoken enough about here. History will show that Melbourne was instrumental in helping pave the way for the development of women's football. Incredibly proud to follow this club.
This whole biz is brilliant. I'm so psyched my three year old girl will grow up knowing there's a female captain of the Demons who's just as fierce as Jonesy. Also, reckon they should name the inaugural Women's B&F after her.

"The footy club is the only team in the league that holds the Melbourne name, and [the logo is designed for the club] to become more edgy and cool and I think they've done that."
Nathan Jones pictured below.
tumblr_mi9z90nlSe1rikjyro1_500.jpg

Anyone else look at the AFL website? Maybe it's just the 'newness' of it but the logo looks absolutely striking amongst all the others.
I actually think it looks really compressed and pixelated shrunk down to that size. Maybe we could just roll with the monogram there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back