List Mgmt. Mid Season Draft 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

We took a 203cm tall last year Brynn Teakle. And people fling at him like demented chimpanzees because he hasn't walked into AFL footy as a ready made player.

Our squad is already unbalanced with talls. We have Scully, Visentini, Teakle, Hayes and Lord rotating through the forward line. Clurey, Pasini, Marshall and MacCallum through the backline. Even Teakle has been parked there.

What help is some mid aged tall who has been continually overlooked going to be?

Meanwhile in the sanfl our best clearance mid is Nick Moore although Jackson is rocketing up the charts. And our flankers are mostly sanfl top ups.

A genuinely quick small forward is where I would look, not opposed to Bryant who would add to our tough clearance mid stocks, even Hosie as a marking medium forward could be handy in that Georgiades third tall role.
We should be looking for the now in the MSD.

We are in it this year and have gaping holes in ready to go rucks and genuine tall defenders.

If Lycett returns to norm or Aliir goes down we are done. Even if they don't some selection pressure in ruck and someone who means Aliir never has to play the lock down defender improves us significantly.

If they are 30 and off our list in 18 months it doesn't matter as we have the young talls coming through.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

We took a 203cm tall last year Brynn Teakle. And people fling 💩 at him like demented chimpanzees because he hasn't walked into AFL footy as a ready made player.

Our squad is already unbalanced with talls. We have Scully, Visentini, Teakle, Hayes and Lord rotating through the forward line. Clurey, Pasini, Marshall and MacCallum through the backline. Even Teakle has been parked there.

What help is some mid aged tall who has been continually overlooked going to be?

Meanwhile in the sanfl our best clearance mid is Nick Moore although Jackson is rocketing up the charts. And our flankers are mostly sanfl top ups.

A genuinely quick small forward is where I would look, not opposed to Bryant who would add to our tough clearance mid stocks, even Hosie as a marking medium forward could be handy in that Georgiades third tall role.

I am not saying take a developing tall. We need to look for a mature player who can fit the bill for the rest of 2023. I have also acknowledged that getting such a player is not easy but it is a matter of priorities.

You cite Teakle and you are right, he is not up to it, but as I posted at this time last year the stand out small forward in the VFL was Francis Evans and like Teakle we drafted him and he hasn't fired either. Brynn Teakle is actually younger than Sam Hayes which suggests that Ken had given up on Hayes at the time of last year's MSD and for some reason Ken has been prepared to push Teakle ahead of Hayes in the pecking order. Maybe Ken is trying to justify picking Teakle in last year's MSD?

Again, I agree with you as we have plenty of talls on the list but they are possibly a couple of years off of AFL footy and if you look at Ken's record at developing talls there is no guarantee that any of them will make it. That is why we should test the water and see if there is a ready made mature ruckman out there. The frustrating thing is we had a understudy for Lycett but he is now playing for Sydney. I think Ken & Co overestimated Sam Hayes' rate of progress and maybe they expected him to be banging on the door for AFL selection by now.

The long and the short of it is the MSD hasn't coughed up many aces and from all the names that have gone through this thread I have not seen one that really leaps of the page. In fact I looked through the past MSD mkII and there haven't been many success stories across all of the clubs. Jai Newcombe who was picked up by Hawthorn has had 32 games in two seasons but that is for a club near the bottom of the table.

The more I think about it the more I think pass and bank the savings.

We are in it this year and have gaping holes in ready to go rucks and genuine tall defenders.

If Lycett returns to norm or Aliir goes down we are done. Even if they don't some selection pressure in ruck and someone who means Aliir never has to play the lock down defender improves us significantly.

If they are 30 and off our list in 18 months it doesn't matter as we have the young talls coming through.

Easy said but who are the AFL ready tall defenders or ruckmen in state leagues?

Oscar McDonald will probably go earliest and posters here think he is Spuddy McSpudface. How ordinary are the ones behind him?

And we will still be unbalanced. If we lose a tall defender, Clurey comes in or we take a punt on Pasini or we play Teakle down back, which is where we were experimenting early in the year.

I think a genuinely quick small forward would be a dangerous addition to our side. Or a bit more depth in our clearance mid ranks is always handy.

I would
You would have to look at Kobe Ryan racking numbers up in senior football across all the categories.

I would still like a genuine speedster like Hansen jnr.
I would go for Ryan who is averaging 20 odd possessions , Hansen has kicked 3 goals in 5 games, sorry you should have to do better than that to make an AFL list. The standard of required performance has slipped so much in the last 10 years

We took a 203cm tall last year Brynn Teakle. And people fling 💩 at him like demented chimpanzees because he hasn't walked into AFL footy as a ready made player.
It's more about unjustified selection than anything. If Teakle develops away at SANFL level and showed he deserves selection then he doesn't cop the heat he has. Instead he was a mature ager the coaches toyed with down back, presumably because they realised he wasn't a good ruck, then suddenly we find out he is actually our second choice ruck and not only are they prepared to pick him on the back of zero form, but out of that practiced position, and also ahead of more promising rucks.

To then perform as horrendously bad as he has, and it has been horrendous, is not only vindication of incredibly poor coaching and selection policy, but it also shows a glaring concern that he is actually miles away from the level, clearly below a couple of our other junior rucks, yet they weren't given a chance. This brings heat, at a far more extreme level than is probably deserved individually due to the collective factors at play.

It's like Mitch Marsh for Australia, picked on potential for so damn long, he couldn't walk the street without being embarrassed by people's talk behind his back. This sort of thing we've seen all over the place for a long time, unjustified selection, creates animosity and the only way out of that is performing.

Teakle needs to go back, start to perform and the chatter will stop. I've personally written him off because I see athletic ability, but nothing else. He's still on a list though, and still has an opportunity, so he should be trying to string together some good SANFL form and to prove doubters like me wrong. Good luck to him, I hope I am wrong.

Honestly, I'm totally on board with picking a fully ready to go player. I'm not sure there is a ruck at lower levels that is better than Lycett, but if there was I'd pick them. Also honestly I think we could do worse than picking someone like McBean who can fill a gap as a tall forward. With no Georgiades, we can't afford for Dixon and Marshall to stay down. In particular Marshall, if there's a chance this could be long term, then we need a temp backup. If McBean would take a 6 month contract I'd be happy to take him.

I guess the point is I agree with you, that a short term top up is a good idea. No point having an empty spot on your list of you could fill it with a ready to go talent who can provide depth for a team that needs to be thinking of going deep in finals.

I think we're covered for defenders though. At lower level Clurey is the best defender in the SANFL. Yes he isnt the greatest at AFL level, but having him and Pasini ready to go as depth I think means we're well covered short term. Our KPD needs are longer term.

Honestly, I'm totally on board with picking a fully ready to go player. I'm not sure there is a ruck at lower levels that is better than Lycett, but if there was I'd pick them. Also honestly I think we could do worse than picking someone like McBean who can fill a gap as a tall forward. With no Georgiades, we can't afford for Dixon and Marshall to stay down. In particular Marshall, if there's a chance this could be long term, then we need a temp backup. If McBean would take a 6 month contract I'd be happy to take him.

I guess the point is I agree with you, that a short term top up is a good idea. No point having an empty spot on your list of you could fill it with a ready to go talent who can provide depth for a team that needs to be thinking of going deep in finals.
What about Tom Lewis from Sturt , would be a hands addition to our mids

The one tall I would have taken a punt on in the past couple of years was Luke Surman because he could have been turned into a big full back. 196cm and over 100kgs he is mobile enough to play a key position forward or back and even pinch hit in ruck.

But that ship has seemingly sailed and he walked away to go back to Norwood.

North Adelaide had a few likely looking fast small forwards in the past few years but not sure how they are placed now. We were linked to Frank Szekerley at some stage but he's only kicked 1 goal this year. Seems to be a solid possession winner though, so maybe they've moved him to midfield duties.

The gap between state league and AFL widens all the time and you have to look for a point of difference in a player. Genuine leg speed is a point of difference that can translate to the higher level and be used for teams who rely on pressure football.

Last edited:
We must use a pick. Not doing so is like a tennis player opting not to have a second serve.

We could easily have taken the “non pick” option late in the 2016 rookie draft and missed out on Dan Houston.

If we haven’t identified a clear target, go the high risk high reward type on a 6 month contract. Nobody loses. A kid gets a chance to impress and some income, the club gets a chance to have a very close look and Magpie depth. I’m not actually suggesting this but someone like Harley Bennell fits my high risk high reward profile.

And Quinton Narkle is too good not to be on an afl list.

Last edited:
Probably, and that is the problem we take players because they are there and not because we need them. As things stand we need to look at tall players not short people.

One of the stand out small forwards in the VFL last year was Francis Evans and we finished up with him anyway and Evans hasn't exactly set the AFL alight.

I could go with a midfielder like Kobe Ryan who seems to be a bit of a ball magnet with potential but we have pick 8 and he may not be there.

If there are no ready made talls and Bryant is not there then save some money and pass.

Reality is that our recruiters have seen far more of these players than we have, and their priorities often won't align with ours.

They are balancing selecting best talent available, overall alignment with strategic list build, coaches input or recommendations, availability of draft capital and likely targets in future years etc.

McEntee is a good example of this, in that the decision was obviously to bring in a pressure/defensive small forward. To supporters this wasn't a high priority at the time, but we are seeing the fruits now.

Will be interesting to see what the club thinks this time around.

The one tall I would have taken a punt on in the past couple of years was Luke Surman because he could have been turned into a big full back. 196cm and over 100kgs he is mobile enough to play a key position forward or back and even pinch hit in ruck.

North Adelaide had a few likely looking fast small forwards in the past few years but not sure how they are placed now. We were linked to Frank Szekerley at some stage but he's only kicked 1 goal this year. Seems to be a solid possession winner though, so maybe they've moved him to midfield duties.

The gap between state league and AFL widens all the time and you have to look for a point of difference in a player. Genuine leg speed is a point of difference that can translate to the higher level and be used for teams who rely on pressure football.
Think leg speedy is overrated when your skills footy smarts and body shape are lacking. There are too many AFL players selected just on their speed and they get exposed at crucial times

Its weird he wasn't liked but Hinkley

I think he was good enough to keep his spot but played small forward in the AFL. As a mid in the SANFL/VFL, he's dominated from day one. Still only 23. Very myopic of football recruiters who want 6'2 beasts if he misses out again.

Reality is that our recruiters have seen far more of these players than we have, and their priorities often won't align with ours.

They are balancing selecting best talent available, overall alignment with strategic list build, coaches input or recommendations, availability of draft capital and likely targets in future years etc.

McEntee is a good example of this, in that the decision was obviously to bring in a pressure/defensive small forward. To supporters this wasn't a high priority at the time, but we are seeing the fruits now.

Will be interesting to see what the club thinks this time around.
To be fair there’s a bit of revisionism in this if Fantasia had actually managed to keep his paper machete body together Jed wouldn’t get a run like he has

Don’t get me wrong he’s grown and is playing his role now but let’s not pretend we drafted him as anymore than coverage imho

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think he was good enough to keep his spot but played small forward in the AFL. As a mid in the SANFL/VFL, he's dominated from day one. Still only 23. Very myopic of football recruiters who want 6'2 beasts if he misses out again.
He kicked goals as his main attribute

There were success stories from the three mid-season drafts since it was reintroduced in 2019, with clubs on the hunt for the next Ryan Gardner, Marlion Pickett, John Noble, Jai Newcombe, Ash Johnson, Sam Durham or Jai Culley. Culley’s ACL setback gives the Eagles the chance to make a pick.
But recruiters who spoke to The Age on the condition of anonymity consistently said for weeks there was a dearth of talent available this year, owing to the SSP, end-of-year drafts, and separation from the COVID-19-impacted years.
In previous editions, talent scouts felt some footballers who were overlooked in the traditional draft because of a lack of exposure in the COVID-19 period represented a bargain in the mid-season equivalent.

None of Adelaide, the Brisbane Lions, Carlton, Collingwood, Gold Coast, Melbourne or St Kilda is expected to make a selection unless a player suffers a season-ending injury this weekend – and even then, still might not. Geelong and Port Adelaide are yet to decide if they will be involved, according to sources familiar with the situation, with the Cats considering handing injury-cursed ex-Sydney Swans ruckman Sam Naismith an AFL lifeline.

Yeah I really liked Surman as a KPD and pinch hitting ruckman. Oh well....... 😒

Coulthard from the Bays any good?

Casilini doing everything right at the Roosters too from all accounts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm actually starting to think that a missing KPD isn't going to do us that much benefit with how tall our list already is. Aliir & McKenzie are playing well enough so it'd only be for the sake of injury.

Don’t think there is a MSD option in the area of desperate need (KPD, Ruck) that makes us even slightly better. Said it earlier but would rather us use the pick on a utility like Poulter.

With the time it takes to develop talls, and us in ‘Win now’ mode we’ll probably wait on Visentini and then look to snag a KPD from another AFL club via trade/FA to increase our chances of actually improving those areas.

There’s a chance we go real aggressive and see what AFL rucks are available as well but how much capital are we willing to risk?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back