Live Event Mid Season Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we were doing that in interest of getting him as a Category B rookie. We have three Cat B spots open at the end of the year

Thanks for that
I just posted on your club board as well because I was genuinely interested as to why you guys didn’t pick him up

Thanks for that
I just posted on your club board as well because I was genuinely interested as to why you guys didn’t pick him up
Yeah I noticed, just didn't bother repeating myself.

In what universe did I say 'this week'? I said, 'this year.' The fact that all of you are taking pot shots at me personally, when I keep just detailing my opinion on a flawed idea, is frankly just a reinforcement of how bad you are at communicating. Most of your members are great, but some of you just make it really difficult not to hate the club as a whole. It's really starting to irritate me as I'm always respectful to your cohort. ******** if you're not going to give me the same courtesy

Thanks mate, for showing how a respectful response can be delivered. I agree on that, and I think I mentioned that earlier. If he plays this year, then happy days and I rescind my previous statements. If not, then I'm justified in what I've thought.

Nah I don't think you were meant to overlook him, I just think that it doesn't sit well with me that a player who might not actually play or fill that list spot, is just there so that another club can't snare him. It's still premature, but immediate thoughts are that barely any players will play this year, yet clubs will have priority selection (ala Academy players) of a player that has been in their system, rather than coming through the draft again

But you said you take “umbrage” with Richmond and Pickett. Why?

It's meant to be used to replace an injured player on the LTI list. Replacing an injured player with another injured player is just dodgy af. Not meant to be a 'free hit' just so clubs can get someone in they like the look of. If he hadn't of broken his finger, then you guys most likely wouldn't have been first to draft him - Essendon being a good example of this:

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/es...n-mondays-mid-season-afl-draft-ng-b881208985z

If you don't see the lack of integrity that's on display here, I feel sorry for you
So because the best player outside the afl as rated by some broke his finger and other clubs passed on him due to this the tigers should have as well? Due to integrity and stuff yeah?

You're right it's not what this draft is meant for but this is what smart clubs do. They find a way to gain an advantage.

Don't disagree with this, and I gave kudos to Richmond (and Sydney last year) for doing this, but it undermines the integrity of the comp as a whole. There's already a lack of it as it is, don't need things like these incidents further driving it into the doldrums

Pickett might not have even been our first choice we were linked to Dunkley who went early then knoll who the swans took so after that probably said **** it and took the most talented guy we’re in a premiership window bringing in a guy with Pickett’s skill set something we don’t really have is a big deal

He basically has 6 months to learn the game plan and get fit and offers a pod if we need it for finals but more likely for next season

Makes more sense taking him then a kid who’s long odds to make the grade makes griggas retirement mean something and gives a talented guy who’s turned his life around a chance

Did the same thing with stack it’s all up too Pickett now if he wants it enough he thrives if not another good mid for our undefeated vfl side

I agree. This means that there is no integrity in the idea as a whole, because barely any of the players are being used for the designated purpose of the reasoning behind why this was introduced in the first place.

I just take umbrage a bit more with Richmond and Pickett, because I think its just a blatant misuse that exposes the fallacy of 'replacing players on the long term injury list.' If they're being honest, then it should just be a mid-season draft, with a free hit for anyone. Make contracts 18 months, 36 months etc. as well as 1 year or 2-5 years, and enable more movement. Don't hide behind this BS that clubs are injury stricken and they need ready made players to 'fill the gaps.'

If none of these players really are 'ready made' then what the hell is the point in having the mid-season draft in the first place?
Who do Richmond have on the long term injury list?

Don't disagree with this, and I gave kudos to Richmond (and Sydney last year) for doing this, but it undermines the integrity of the comp as a whole. There's already a lack of it as it is, don't need things like these incidents further driving it into the doldrums
The rules will change (IF this draft sticks around). We've pulled a shifty one. several clubs have simply "warehoused" young talent for next year. Deluca, Sutcliffe and Knoll are the only 3 i really see being taken the way the AFL wanted.

So because the best player outside the afl as rated by some broke his finger and other clubs passed on him due to this the tigers should have as well? Due to integrity and stuff yeah?

If the idea of the reasoning behind the mid season draft being brought in, is to replace someone on your list who's either retired or an LTI, then yes, they should have.

Geelong could have put both Cockatoo and Cunico on the LTI list, but chose not to because they're against the idea of doing this, for the exact reasons that have shown themselves after the fact. Neither will play this year (maybe Cockatoo in the latter half, but unlikely), but they didn't want to poach a state league player, just to get a 'free shot' at a player before the national draft.

But you said you take “umbrage” with Richmond and Pickett. Why?

Essendon showed interest in Pickett and most likely would have drafted him to replace the genuine loss of Dev Smith, if they thought they might be playing finals. Their pick was before Richmond's. It's possible that they may have chosen him, had he not been injured. That's why I take particular umbrage with Richmond taking Pickett, after they knew he was injured.

Like I said, if he does play this year, then it's fine. But I suspect that the integrity of the idea is already shot, just like Sydney displayed during their in-draft trading of picks to get Blakey for much less.

The fact that all of you are taking pot shots at me personally, when I keep just detailing my opinion on a flawed idea, is frankly just a reinforcement of how bad you are at communicating

We’re not the one spouting BS and trying to pass it off as some sort of learned judgement on our drafting decision.

We’ve followed the rules to the letter. Given a 27 years old a crack at the big time within a great environment.

Maybe ask Marlion what he thinks.

I bet his bags are already packed.

The rules will change (IF this draft sticks around). We've pulled a shifty one. several clubs have simply "warehoused" young talent for next year. Deluca, Sutcliffe and Knoll are the only 3 i really see being taken the way the AFL wanted.

Doesn't that seem a bit sh*t in general, lol? Like, what is the point?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’re not the one spouting BS and trying to pass it off as some sort of learned judgement on our drafting decision.

We’ve followed the rules to the letter. Given a 27 years old a crack at the big time within a great environment.

Maybe ask Marlion what he thinks.

I bet his bags are already packed.

Good job completely missing the point.

If the idea of the reasoning behind the mid season draft being brought in, is to replace someone on your list who's either retired or an LTI, then yes, they should have.

Geelong could have put both Cockatoo and Cunico on the LTI list, but chose not to because they're against the idea of doing this, for the exact reasons that have shown themselves after the fact. Neither will play this year (maybe Cockatoo in the latter half, but unlikely), but they didn't want to poach a state league player, just to get a 'free shot' at a player before the national draft.

Essendon showed interest in Pickett and most likely would have drafted him to replace the genuine loss of Dev Smith, if they thought they might be playing finals. Their pick was before Richmond's. It's possible that they may have chosen him, had he not been injured. That's why I take particular umbrage with Richmond taking Pickett, after they knew he was injured.

Like I said, if he does play this year, then it's fine. But I suspect that the integrity of the idea is already shot, just like Sydney displayed during their in-draft trading of picks to get Blakey for much less.

But what about the clubs that took 19/20 year olds? No particular “umbrage” for them? Plus your speculating that he wont play for Richmond this year, you just dont know. I suspect you’re just a salty cat supporting Richmond hater who’s spewing didn’t have a mid season pick. Pretty piss poor behaviour actually. To deny a player an AFL spot because of broken finger is just ludicrous.

Seeing as no-one else decided to go and find this info themselves, lol:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-07/midseason-draft-when-is-it-and-how-will-it-work

"Here are the key questions answered.

When is the Mid-Season Rookie Draft?
The evening of Monday May 27, the night after round 10 concludes.

Why is the Mid-Season Rookie Draft being introduced?

******It's an effort to limit the impact of long-term injuries and premature retirements at AFL clubs.********

Holding the draft midway through the season gives clubs the opportunity to replenish their lists for the back half of the campaign.

How many picks will my club have?
Clubs can fill vacancies on their list created by players succumbing to long-term injury, or retiring from the game."

I'd be saying the very same thing if we picked him up too. I'm happy he's getting a shot. I'm not happy that he's not being brought in under the intended purpose of the idea.

Some of you really need to learn how to communicate better...I'm not 'melting' or 'hating Richmond.' I genuinely think that the idea as a whole has displayed its lack of integrity, and it doesn't sit well with me.

I genuinely do hope he plays this year, and plays well, as he looks like a great player. The competition is better for these type of players. If he doesn't play though (or many of the others don't as well), then there was no need for the mid-season draft in the first place
Yes, only clubs that have players on the long term injury list or have had retirements will have space on their list to enter this draft.

In any case, I have no problem with any club’s picks, especially Richmond’s, who had their eye on this player who then broke a finger on the weekend, but they decided to go through with it anyway.

It’s also highly unlikely in these days of structured football that any player could play within 4-5 weeks of joining a club. There’s just too much to learn about team structure.

Personally I find the whole thing a bit weird, but picking up an ex-con with a family seems like a good thing to me.

I hope he gets a contract next year.

Doesn't that seem a bit sh*t in general, lol? Like, what is the point?
The AFL are hopeless and never think these things through. Clubs find loopholes like this all the time and there's nothing they can do about it because each team has followed the very loose guidelines they've provided.

At the end of the day these blokes get a chance to prove themselves in the AFL environment. The players and clubs win. But the AFL lose lol.

The AFL might try and sell it one way. But clubs are going to do what they feel is right for the club. If Melbourne’s season wasn’t cooked I suspect they might have taken a different strategy. But getting the jump on clubs by picking up a guy who might have gone early in the ND makes sense. Even if he doesn’t play this year. Although I suspect he’ll get a run up forward soon enough.

Easy to miss your point when you never had one

I've actually made the point that the integrity of the idea was bringing in players to replace LTI's or retirements, as ready made players. I've linked articles that stipulate this. Your own supporters have acknowledged that it was a 'shifty move' or a 'rort.' Also have joked that he should have been placed on the LTI list, just to bring in another player in the mid season draft.

You did it within the rules, but the ethical means under which it was done, doesn't sit within the spirit of the idea.

There's no integrity in the idea, when the the purpose of the idea isn't being used. Cheers for reaffirming just how bad some of you are at communicating

Remove this Banner Ad

Back