Live Event Mid Season Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree. This means that there is no integrity in the idea as a whole, because barely any of the players are being used for the designated purpose of the reasoning behind why this was introduced in the first place.

I just take umbrage a bit more with Richmond and Pickett, because I think its just a blatant misuse that exposes the fallacy of 'replacing players on the long term injury list.' If they're being honest, then it should just be a mid-season draft, with a free hit for anyone. Make contracts 18 months, 36 months etc. as well as 1 year or 2-5 years, and enable more movement. Don't hide behind this BS that clubs are injury stricken and they need ready made players to 'fill the gaps.'

If none of these players really are 'ready made' then what the hell is the point in having the mid-season draft in the first place?
Roos just had a good point about the AFL probably being disappointed that so many 18-19 year olds got picked up.
A 27 year old getting drafted is exactly in the spirit of this draft

If Richmond did something the AFL don't like then they should change the rules, wouldn't be the first time
In the meantime a ripping, older age, state footballer gets a golden chance; sounds like a good story to me

I just take umbrage a bit more with Richmond and Pickett, because I think its just a blatant misuse that exposes the fallacy of 'replacing players on the long term injury list.' If they're being honest, then it should just be a mid-season draft, with a free hit for anyone.
The mid season draft was always the latter. Hardwick has been open in the intentions of the draft and used Stack as an example. It should have been no surprise we took the punt on Pickett.

I agree. This means that there is no integrity in the idea as a whole, because barely any of the players are being used for the designated purpose of the reasoning behind why this was introduced in the first place.

I just take umbrage a bit more with Richmond and Pickett, because I think its just a blatant misuse that exposes the fallacy of 'replacing players on the long term injury list.' If they're being honest, then it should just be a mid-season draft, with a free hit for anyone. Make contracts 18 months, 36 months etc. as well as 1 year or 2-5 years, and enable more movement. Don't hide behind this BS that clubs are injury stricken and they need ready made players to 'fill the gaps.'

If none of these players really are 'ready made' then what the hell is the point in having the mid-season draft in the first place?

Are you melting that Pickett was given an opportunity at AFL level or that he landed at Richmond?

As suspected, not many clubs are even going to use their players to compensate for injuries. Just using it as a means of getting a free draft pick and undercutting other clubs before the national draft. Picking up Marlion Pickett when he's injured for nearly the rest of the season, just so they don't have to compete with others in the draft next year, is beyond dodgy to me and against the spirit of the idea.

Not impressed at all with this.

Turn it up mate. Pickett is 27. He has been passed on in multiple drafts and we took him pick 13 here. They are not 'undercutting' anybody and there is no 'spirit' of this draft. No club is obliged to pass on any players if they are injured. We picked up a bloke that we think can make an impact and that can maybe stay on the list.

because richmond like a bunch of other clubs have realized the mid season draft is a way to extend your traditional draft.

you can be assured next year the rules will be you must be 25 or older to be drafted.

Our guy is 27, so no issues there.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

As suspected, not many clubs are even going to use their players to compensate for injuries. Just using it as a means of getting a free draft pick and undercutting other clubs before the national draft. Picking up Marlion Pickett when he's injured for nearly the rest of the season, just so they don't have to compete with others in the draft next year, is beyond dodgy to me and against the spirit of the idea.

Not impressed at all with this.

So he’s 27 years old, all the clubs know of him and his talent, no one has bothered to take a chance on the bloke in 10 years he’s been playing and NOW it’s an issue he gets a chance? Probably not your smartest or best post i’d suggest. Reeks of dare i say it, whinging.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is the reason for gambling and then tell you to gamble responsibly. Same stuff different wording.
I thought the whole idea was to give players who have fallen through the normal processes a chance to get onto an AFL list and show what they can do? "Replacement of injured players" was certainly touted by some as a reason why some clubs might get involved, but it was never the primary purpose.
The mid season draft was always the latter. Hardwick has been open in the intentions of the draft and used Stack as an example. It should have been no surprise we took the punt on Pickett.
Turn it up mate. Pickett is 27. He has been passed on in multiple drafts and we took him pick 13 here. They are not 'undercutting' anybody and there is no 'spirit' of this draft. No club is obliged to pass on any players if they are injured. We picked up a bloke that we think can make an impact and that can maybe stay on the list.
Where in the rules does it say you need to replace injured players??
Massive FOMO from the pussys

Seeing as no-one else decided to go and find this info themselves, lol:

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-07/midseason-draft-when-is-it-and-how-will-it-work

"Here are the key questions answered.

When is the Mid-Season Rookie Draft?
The evening of Monday May 27, the night after round 10 concludes.

Why is the Mid-Season Rookie Draft being introduced?

******It's an effort to limit the impact of long-term injuries and premature retirements at AFL clubs.********

Holding the draft midway through the season gives clubs the opportunity to replenish their lists for the back half of the campaign.

How many picks will my club have?
Clubs can fill vacancies on their list created by players succumbing to long-term injury, or retiring from the game."

I'd be saying the very same thing if we picked him up too. I'm happy he's getting a shot. I'm not happy that he's not being brought in under the intended purpose of the idea.

Some of you really need to learn how to communicate better...I'm not 'melting' or 'hating Richmond.' I genuinely think that the idea as a whole has displayed its lack of integrity, and it doesn't sit well with me.

I genuinely do hope he plays this year, and plays well, as he looks like a great player. The competition is better for these type of players. If he doesn't play though (or many of the others don't as well), then there was no need for the mid-season draft in the first place

It's meant to be used to replace an injured player on the LTI list. Replacing an injured player with another injured player is just dodgy af. Not meant to be a 'free hit' just so clubs can get someone in they like the look of. If he hadn't of broken his finger, then you guys most likely wouldn't have been first to draft him - Essendon being a good example of this:

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/es...n-mondays-mid-season-afl-draft-ng-b881208985z

If you don't see the lack of integrity that's on display here, I feel sorry for you

He broke his finger 2 days ago.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-07/midseason-draft-when-is-it-and-how-will-it-work

******It's an effort to limit the impact of long-term injuries and premature retirements at AFL clubs.********

Holding the draft midway through the season gives clubs the opportunity to replenish their lists for the back half of the campaign.

Clubs can fill vacancies on their list created by players succumbing to long-term injury, or retiring from the game."

I'd be saying the very same thing if we picked him up too. I'm happy he's getting a shot. I'm not happy that he's not being brought in under the intended purpose of the idea.

Some of you really need to learn how to communicate better...I'm not 'melting' or 'hating Richmond.' I genuinely think that the idea as a whole has displayed its lack of integrity, and it doesn't sit well with me.

I genuinely do hope he plays this year, and plays well, as he looks like a great player. The competition is better for these type of players. If he doesn't play though (or many of the others don't as well), then there was no need for the mid-season draft in the first place

Lol. As if a part time state league player is coming in and playing senior AFL footy the week they’re drafted. Grow up.

Thoughts when Geelong drafted Hawkins for a bag of peanuts? Were you as outraged then as you are now about a pick 100+ player in a midseason draft?

Somebody think of the children.

because richmond like a bunch of other clubs have realized the mid season draft is a way to extend your traditional draft.

you can be assured next year the rules will be you must be 25 or older to be drafted.
i'd say 21+. Taking overage NAB League players feels a bit dirty.

It's meant to be used to replace an injured player on the LTI list. Replacing an injured player with another injured player is just dodgy af. Not meant to be a 'free hit' just so clubs can get someone in they like the look of. If he hadn't of broken his finger, then you guys most likely wouldn't have been first to draft him - Essendon being a good example of this:

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/es...n-mondays-mid-season-afl-draft-ng-b881208985z

If you don't see the lack of integrity that's on display here, I feel sorry for you
Pickett has an 8-10 week injury, there are 14 weeks to finals so there is still a chance that a couple of months getting fit and learning the Richmond structures and game plan could see him be available when the whips are cracking at seasons end.

FWIW, Pickett got his chance because we had Grigg retire due to injuries, unfortunate that he broke his finger again in his first game back, but he was an eligible player so were we supposed to overlook him after 12 other teams had also overlooked him yet again?

Yep, so Shaun Grigg (a wing/onballer) has retired and Jack Ross is out for 6-8 weeks with an ankle. Maybe you should be more aware of our injury list before making general statements. Jayden Short is another. Out for 8 weeks with the elbow. Pickett could be replacing about 4 current injured blokes on our list making it “within the spirit” of the rules you are preaching.

Does anyone know if it's true that the Swans tried to get Dunkley as a priority pick in this draft?

Yeah I’m sure I saw it reported somewhere also Essendon tried to do the same with Tipungwuti’s younger brother who they had access to via the academy

Weirdly enough despite trying to lock him down they didn’t even take him and they had a pick that they passed on

Yeah I’m sure I saw it reported somewhere also Essendon tried to do the same with Tipungwuti’s younger brother who they had access to via the academy

Weirdly enough despite trying to lock him down they didn’t even take him and they had a pick that they passed on
I think we were doing that in interest of getting him as a Category B rookie. We have three Cat B spots open at the end of the year

Lol. As if a part time state league player is coming in and playing senior AFL footy the week they’re drafted. Grow up.

In what universe did I say 'this week'? I said, 'this year.' The fact that all of you are taking pot shots at me personally, when I keep just detailing my opinion on a flawed idea, is frankly just a reinforcement of how bad you are at communicating. Most of your members are great, but some of you just make it really difficult not to hate the club as a whole. It's really starting to irritate me as I'm always respectful to your cohort. P*ss off if you're not going to give me the same courtesy

Pickett has an 8-10 week injury, there are 14 weeks to finals so there is still a chance that a couple of months getting fit and learning the Richmond structures and game plan could see him be available when the whips are cracking at seasons end.

FWIW, Pickett got his chance because we had Grigg retire due to injuries, unfortunate that he broke his finger again in his first game back, but he was an eligible player so were we supposed to overlook him after 12 other teams had also overlooked him yet again?

Thanks mate, for showing how a respectful response can be delivered. I agree on that, and I think I mentioned that earlier. If he plays this year, then happy days and I rescind my previous statements. If not, then I'm justified in what I've thought.

Nah I don't think you were meant to overlook him, I just think that it doesn't sit well with me that a player who might not actually play or fill that list spot, is just there so that another club can't snare him. It's still premature, but immediate thoughts are that barely any players will play this year, yet clubs will have priority selection (ala Academy players) of a player that has been in their system, rather than coming through the draft again

You're right it's not what this draft is meant for but this is what smart clubs do. They find a way to gain an advantage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back