Live Event Mid Season Rookie Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

As suspected, not many clubs are even going to use their players to compensate for injuries. Just using it as a means of getting a free draft pick and undercutting other clubs before the national draft. Picking up Marlion Pickett when he's injured for nearly the rest of the season, just so they don't have to compete with others in the draft next year, is beyond dodgy to me and against the spirit of the idea.

Not impressed at all with this.

Oh didums. Should just have free agency until round 12. No draft needed, at the end of the day every team has passed on these guys multiple times before we got here.

Age of players and position should give an indicator as to a club's plans and thought process:

Carlton: Josh Deluca (23yo mid)
Gold Coast: Mitch Riordan. (19yo mid)
Melbourne: Kyle Dunkley. (18yo mid)
Sydney: Michael Knoll. (26yo ruck)
North: Lachie Hosie. (22yo forward)
Bulldogs: Ryan Gardner. (21yo KPP forward)
Essendon: Will Snelling. (21yo mid)
St Kilda: Jack Mayo. (19yo KPP forward)
Port: Cam Sutcliffe. (27yo utility)
Freo: Dillon O'Reilly. (19yo KPP forward)
Richmond: Marlion Pickett. (27yo mid-half back)
Collingwood: John Noble. (22yo wing)
Sydney: Cody Hirst. (19yo mid)

Oh didums. Should just have free agency until round 12. No draft needed, at the end of the day every team has passed on these guys multiple times before we got here.

It's meant to be used to replace an injured player on the LTI list. Replacing an injured player with another injured player is just dodgy af. Not meant to be a 'free hit' just so clubs can get someone in they like the look of. If he hadn't of broken his finger, then you guys most likely wouldn't have been first to draft him - Essendon being a good example of this:

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/es...n-mondays-mid-season-afl-draft-ng-b881208985z

If you don't see the lack of integrity that's on display here, I feel sorry for you

Can someone please explain why Richmond just picked someone who is injured for the next ten weeks anyway?

He will be ready to play by round 18 , 3 weeks in the VFL then play in the finals and win the norm smith

To finish 9th
Freo only wishes they could finish 9th this year, They should really give an 'Almost' trophy so your cabinet has something in it after so many years

As suspected, not many clubs are even going to use their players to compensate for injuries. Just using it as a means of getting a free draft pick and undercutting other clubs before the national draft. Picking up Marlion Pickett when he's injured for nearly the rest of the season, just so they don't have to compete with others in the draft next year, is beyond dodgy to me and against the spirit of the idea.

Other clubs have had plenty of chances to draft him.

Lol.

Other clubs have had plenty of chances to draft him.

Agreed. I'm not saying that it's a problem that you guys drafted him, I'm saying that it's against the integrity of the idea of using it as means of getting in players to replace LTI's on your list. It just means that if he doesn't play at all this year, or plays one or two games, that you weren't replacing anyone, and were just using it as a 'free hit' as many others have stated. Also means that next year the AFL will change the rules again, using this case as a precedent.

Was a good idea in theory, but this is a clear case of a club rorting the system, because it has the ability to. Can give kudos for Richmond for being smart enough to do it, but also have to acknowledge that it's against the spirit of the reason that the idea was brought in, in the first place

Agreed. I'm not saying that it's a problem that you guys drafted him, I'm saying that it's against the integrity of the idea of using it as means of getting in players to replace LTI's on your list. It just means that if he doesn't play at all this year, or plays one or two games, that you weren't replacing anyone, and were just using it as a 'free hit' as many others have stated. Also means that next year the AFL will change the rules again, using this case as a precedent.

Was a good idea in theory, but this is a clear case of a club rorting the system, because it has the ability to. Can give kudos for Richmond for being smart enough to do it, but also have to acknowledge that it's against the spirit of the reason that the idea was brought in, in the first place

If you seriously think any more than one or two of the players drafted tonight will play Sr footy this year you are delusional

They have had no afl standard pre season and had no exposure to the teams structures, game plan or even trained with the teams they are getting recruited too

It’s only being used to get clubs used to the idea of mid season player movement so eventually they can enable a mid season trade period

Perhaps have a look at those drafted tonight. Not many are there to make an impact this year. All clubs had the future in mind with their picks, not just Richmond. It will be surprising if even one of these players plays 8-10 AFL games this year.

It will be surprising if even one of these players plays 8-10 AFL games this year.

I reckon Gardner could play a bit for the Dogs since their only other KPP is Naughton. He has come off 3 seasons at Geelong so has AFL pre-seasons under the belt and knows their system from playing in their VFL team this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you seriously think any more than one or two of the players drafted tonight will play Sr footy this year you are delusional

They have had no afl standard pre season and had no exposure to the teams structures, game plan or even trained with the teams they are getting recruited too

It’s only being used to get clubs used to the idea of mid season player movement so eventually they can enable a mid season trade period

Yo, don't get into that method of back and forth. I literally popped onto your board the other day to say that Baker should get the rising star nom, and have generally been pretty respectful.

I'm saying that a move like this where you replace an LTI with essentially another LTI, does nothing for the integrity of the idea. It'll raise more debate, and it could go the other way come next year.

I agree that the mid-season trade period will eventually be the goal, but I don't think the AFL envisioned clubs picking up injured players from state leagues to replace other injured players.

All I'm saying is, there's a lack of integrity in that process. I don't blame Richmond specifically as they were smart enough to pull that move - ala Sydney last year with their trading out of picks and then trading in so they didn't have to use high picks on Blakey - but just like that incident, I think it calls into question the integrity of clubs being able to pull those sort of moves, when it's not being used for its desired purpose

It's meant to be used to replace an injured player on the LTI list. Replacing an injured player with another injured player is just dodgy af. Not meant to be a 'free hit' just so clubs can get someone in they like the look of. If he hadn't of broken his finger, then you guys most likely wouldn't have been first to draft him - Essendon being a good example of this:

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl/es...n-mondays-mid-season-afl-draft-ng-b881208985z

If you don't see the lack of integrity that's on display here, I feel sorry for you

Oh please. Happy to be called out if I'm wrong but no one drafted mid season is going to come in anytime in the near future, the only exceptions I can see to this would be if a player has a prior association with the club or possibly if a clubs ruck stocks were completely exhausted and they took a mature ruckman. No way teams throw a bloke straight in.

Good word integrity,but it doesn't belong in any discussion related to AFL.

Perhaps have a look at those drafted tonight. Not many are there to make an impact this year. All clubs had the future in mind with their picks, not just Richmond. It will be surprising if even one of these players plays 8-10 AFL games this year.

Oh please. Happy to be called out if I'm wrong but no one drafted mid season is going to come in anytime in the near future, the only exceptions I can see to this would be if a player has a prior association with the club or possibly if a clubs ruck stocks were completely exhausted and they took a mature ruckman. No way teams throw a bloke straight in.

I agree. This means that there is no integrity in the idea as a whole, because barely any of the players are being used for the designated purpose of the reasoning behind why this was introduced in the first place.

I just take umbrage a bit more with Richmond and Pickett, because I think its just a blatant misuse that exposes the fallacy of 'replacing players on the long term injury list.' If they're being honest, then it should just be a mid-season draft, with a free hit for anyone. Make contracts 18 months, 36 months etc. as well as 1 year or 2-5 years, and enable more movement. Don't hide behind this BS that clubs are injury stricken and they need ready made players to 'fill the gaps.'

If none of these players really are 'ready made' then what the hell is the point in having the mid-season draft in the first place?

Where in the rules does it say you need to replace injured players??
Massive FOMO from the pussys

Read my above post. That's the reasoning behind why it was introduced.

I thought the whole idea was to give players who have fallen through the normal processes a chance to get onto an AFL list and show what they can do? "Replacement of injured players" was certainly touted by some as a reason why some clubs might get involved, but it was never the primary purpose.

Roosy just had a crack at clubs for bringing in 18 and 19 year olds who aren’t ready this year,Richmond got a player desperate to make the big time and has been rewarded and likely to play near the end of the year,if anything our club should be applauded.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back