Mega Thread Minnesota Timberwolves Thread - The Finch Era begins

Remove this Banner Ad

Big willie

risky prospect. However his pnr defense is awesome and its everything we need. hes probably the best big defender Comming out in the draft
In all honesty from what little I know I'd be happy with pretty much any of Towns, Okafor, Porzingis, Cauley-Stein or Russell...the only one in that pack I'm not a fan of is Mudiay, I just don't see how he fits with this team.

If we pick at 3, do we go for Russell and try and trade rubio? Would the kings give up their pick for Rubio? Which we could use for WCS? Or maybe a falling Porzingis?

Russell
Lavine
Wiggy
Porzingis?/KG/Bjelica
WCS?/Pek/Dieng

Cross your fingers that Russell can play D and Lavine puts his physical tools into to playing D. Most likely be picking in the top 6 or 7 next year as well to round things out.

In all honesty from what little I know I'd be happy with pretty much any of Towns, Okafor, Porzingis, Cauley-Stein or Russell...the only one in that pack I'm not a fan of is Mudiay, I just don't see how he fits with this team.

I dont really see Porzingis as a good prospect for us, Very weak inside and gets most of his points cutting in euro ball which he wont get away with in the NBA and outside shots. Defensively he's Dieng. Bloke is not ready for NBA. He will be sitting on the bench for a couple of years

Footwork is there, his footwork is great

If we pick at 3, do we go for Russell and try and trade rubio? Would the kings give up their pick for Rubio? Which we could use for WCS? Or maybe a falling Porzingis?

Russell
Lavine
Wiggy
Porzingis?/KG/Bjelica
WCS?/Pek/Dieng

Cross your fingers that Russell can play D and Lavine puts his physical tools into to playing D. Most likely be picking in the top 6 or 7 next year as well to round things out.

Rubio's worth right now is Dirt, Missed 130 odd games in 4 years with knee/ankle issues and spent a fair amount of those on minute restrictions He hasnt cracked a 35 MPG, He's worth a mid first round pick at best, I'ld rather draft a PG and have Rubio share the 24 minutes with another PG

Re: Russell, think Steph Curry (prior to being drafted).

Not a true PG in his style of play, but not SG size.

Sac may give up there pick to keep cousins? A rubio cousins combo could be great.

Re: Russell, think Steph Curry (prior to being drafted).

Not a true PG in his style of play, but not SG size.

Sac may give up there pick to keep cousins? A rubio cousins combo could be great.

Harden IMO is a better comparison.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not a fan of taking on any more Guards/Wings. Should be taking a blue chip center and pushing Pekovic+Secound rounder for anything we can get
I'd love to take a really talented guard that can fill in at either SG or PG; LaVine ain't a PG and Rubio ain't a SG, a combo guy would complement them beautifully. Agree that centre is the priority though.

Would love to trade Pek with that second rounder, don't think it'd ever happen though. Wonder if we'd be tempted to package the rights to Bjelica with the second rounder if we get a big man early?

My biggest worry after listening to Flip today is that we package that second rounder with an asset to get an ageing, quality player. Was insistent on our need for more veterans and seemed to suggest he was going to trade for them.

Rubio's worth right now is Dirt, Missed 130 odd games in 4 years with knee/ankle issues and spent a fair amount of those on minute restrictions He hasnt cracked a 35 MPG, He's worth a mid first round pick at best, I'ld rather draft a PG and have Rubio share the 24 minutes with another PG

That's a lot of $$ tied up in a back up PG. I assume one would have to be moved at some stage.

That's a lot of $$ tied up in a back up PG. I assume one would have to be moved at some stage.
Pretty much. Given his injury history as well hes not worth a top pick. We wont be getting anything top 12 for him. the pg depth in the league is huge as well.

So while a pg who defends and passes might be a bit rare compared to a lot of pgs right now hes not worth 13m and a top 12 pick. he might come back. Start hitting his shots and become a top 10pg. He might just do another ankle or knee. He just had another surgery on the ankle

Im content with having rubio/lavine as pg and draft on need bases.

I think a poster pointed out flip wants to trade a second rounder for a veteren. Ild be happy with a veteren PG

Who are some vet PGs you think would suit us? And preferably play more D than Mo did. :p

Honestly, Ild try to pry Jarret away from Brooklyn, Not sure if a second rounder would do it. Plus with Deron's glass ankles and the fact Jack on 6 Million is probably one of the least horrific contracts brooklyn has on the books

Honestly, Ild try to pry Jarret away from Brooklyn, Not sure if a second rounder would do it. Plus with Deron's glass ankles and the fact Jack on 6 Million is probably one of the least horrific contracts brooklyn has on the books
So in that case, roster would look like:
PG: Rubio, Jack
SG: Martin, LaVine, Muhammad
SF: Wiggins, Budinger
PF: Payne, Bennett
C: Pekovic, Dieng

1st and 2nd rounders fit in there somewhere. Maybe Bjelica. Hummel, Garnett, Neal and our assorted D-league rejects all unsigned. Garnett will be staying. Really like Hummel as that glue piece but it looks like he'll be pushed out.

Still a pretty (see: very) ugly roster.

Yeah, The kicker is our army of useless tweeners in bennett. Bud. Hummel
My opinion on Hummel has changed a lot in the last 12 months; I'd like to keep him on but realistically that won't happen.

Would be nice if we could cut our losses with one of them or Payne, though. Get a late first/early second for one of them, combine two of our picks to upgrade and then use the other to bring in a vet. Does a lot to fix our logjam of average players, gives us a bit of flexibility heading into the season, and likely gives us a better second player at the draft than we would without doing so by upgrading that second pick.

IMO what will happen

Aldridge Signs on to Timberwolves

Pick one becomes Towns

Budinger/Bennett/Hummel/Neil/Martin get into some sort of super trade where we net Mike Conley+Jimmy Butler+Snell

Conley/Rubio
Butler/Lavine
Wiggins/Muhammad/Snell
Aldridge/Payne/Garnett
Towns/Pekovic

Then Aldridge/Butler/Conley/Wiggins go down with injuries. Pekovic/Rubio lead us into a respectable 12th in the east

IMO what will happen

Aldridge Signs on to Timberwolves

Pick one becomes Towns

Budinger/Bennett/Hummel/Neil/Martin get into some sort of super trade where we net Mike Conley+Jimmy Butler+Snell

Conley/Rubio
Butler/Lavine
Wiggins/Muhammad/Snell
Aldridge/Payne/Garnett
Towns/Pekovic

Then Aldridge/Butler/Conley/Wiggins go down with injuries. Pekovic/Rubio lead us into a respectable 12th in the east
Playing MyGM on 2K - Aldridge accepted my FA offer.

It's a sign.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back