Preview NAB Challenge 2016 - Squad post #279

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bouncing the ball is pointless, we should get rid of it.

Whilst we are at it, is there any real need to handball? Can't we just throw the ball?

A good rugby pass ( eg from half back to 5/8th or a cut out to inside center) goes like a tracer bullet for 30 meters. If a rugby pass was allowed - and the no forward pass penalty maintained- it would dramatically change the game. A 30 meter fast flat accurate kick is harder to execute than a 30 meter pass for example...

So the game would change dramatically - very dramatically...less kicking. If you combine that with no bounce requirement - the running team would destroy the kicking team every time - through dint of maintaining possession for longer at much lower risk.

Taller blokes would lose their competitive advantage in this type of game.

Bouncing the ball doesn't slow down skillfull players. It's easy, as is kicking and comes naturally when you have been doing it at nauseum since you were a kid. Those who are not as deft with ball in hand on the other hand..

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
?????? I don't think you'd find many who agree with you on that one. You can argue that it's an important part of the game, you could argue it makes footy a more contested sport, you could argue that it stops it becoming rugby. But you can't argue that it doesn't slow down the ball carrier. Of course it does.

By the way getting rid of bouncing the ball wouldn't change footy into rugby (union or league). Our field is just too large for an effective defensive line to work, and we don't have any rules in place stopping players from running behind the defensive line. It'd be laughable for a club to even try it. Yes we would see more long runs similar to the NFL or NRL but guess what... that the best thing about those sports.

The only change that would occur is that players would be more inclined to run with the ball and take on the tackler knowing that the ball will always be in their hands no matter how far they run. I don't think that's a terrible thing.

Didn't slow Braddles down, nor Yazz etc.. speed and skill kills, regardless. I guess though for most players you are probably right to be fair.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

1362412800000.jpg

The Glory Days :hearts:
A star in every jumper.

We're going to change many things in football but the bounce won't be one of them, any time soon.

What are people seeing? NFL tuck under the arm or maybe a little compartmental, ball carrying pouch? :)
It might happen occasionally, but I doubt it would happen often. Tucking it under your arm eliminates your two options when you get tackled. You can't drop it onto your boot and you can't handball it. Things you're either trained not to do or can't do in NRL.

It'd be a brave confident footballer who tucked it under his arm and went for a run.

I don't think the bounce will go either. I just think it should.

It might happen occasionally, but I doubt it would happen often. Tucking it under your arm eliminates your two options when you get tackled. You can't drop it onto your boot and you can't handball it. Things you're either trained not to do or can't do in NRL.

It'd be a brave confident footballer who tucked it under his arm and went for a run.

Until we see it, we haven't seen it but even though we don't see a lot of runs, thanks to congestion, we'd all like to.
To footballers it's almost second nature bouncing the ball and I really think it adds another spectacle and skill to the game.

I can't see exactly what it would add to a game by taking the bounce away, but I can see that we'd be at a loss without it.
It may yet come to it but there are many areas of the game that need to be cleaned up first, before the AFL would dare even contemplate a unique (and to me interesting) aspect of the game, when at its best. It's just that it isn't at it best right now.

Been stalking on here for many, many years. Even decided to sign up about 5 years back. Never quite got to the point of posting something. Never quite had enough motivation, and a hell of a lot has happened in that time. Was wondering if I'd ever post anything. And then someone had to go and suggest our game would be better off without the running player having to bounce the ball. With all due respect.... WTF!? You, sir, are on drugs. Fundamental, core skill of the game. Like handballs, and drop punts and speccies and worm burners and bananas. 6 bounces through traffic to kick a goal - magic. Just running through and kicking a goal, meh, it's ok, but I like knowing there's another level, or at least a few different ways things can play out. Watching a player going though that decision making process - it's so natural as an action when carrying the ball that you often see players under pressure bounce in 3 times in 15 metres.

On the other side of that spectacle are the tremendous opportunities to screw it up. Very often fun to observe - watching a player taking a game on, only to completely lose it. The vast opportunities for those head slapping moments are a critical part of our game, and make the spectacle when it all comes off so much more exciting. There's a complex collection of skills to get right in our game - more than in other games, and the permutations for different plays and outcomes are so much more diverse - at both the micro-play and macro-play level. The constant high pace and lengthy plays in our game are one thing that sets it apart and gives us so much more opportunity for spectacle.

Yet another angle, when you first show someone a footy - you pick it up, spin it a bit between the hands, have a bounce, give them the pill and start telling them how the game works. It's part of that initial introduction to the game that makes people go - "Hey - you guys is crazy!". Yeah we're crazy, this game is the bomb.

The fact that longs runs with the ball can be considered the best part of those other games is somewhat of an indictment on them, rather than some beacon to which the AFL moth should aspire. The day we degenerate to "Ugg run good" being a sufficient qualification for top tier footy is the day we know we stuffed it all up.

Running player bouncing the ball - priceless.

Been stalking on here for many, many years. Even decided to sign up about 5 years back. Never quite got to the point of posting something. Never quite had enough motivation, and a hell of a lot has happened in that time. Was wondering if I'd ever post anything. And then someone had to go and suggest our game would be better off without the running player having to bounce the ball. With all due respect.... WTF!? You, sir, are on drugs. Fundamental, core skill of the game. Like handballs, and drop punts and speccies and worm burners and bananas. 6 bounces through traffic to kick a goal - magic. Just running through and kicking a goal, meh, it's ok, but I like knowing there's another level, or at least a few different ways things can play out. Watching a player going though that decision making process - it's so natural as an action when carrying the ball that you often see players under pressure bounce in 3 times in 15 metres.

On the other side of that spectacle are the tremendous opportunities to screw it up. Very often fun to observe - watching a player taking a game on, only to completely lose it. The vast opportunities for those head slapping moments are a critical part of our game, and make the spectacle when it all comes off so much more exciting. There's a complex collection of skills to get right in our game - more than in other games, and the permutations for different plays and outcomes are so much more diverse - at both the micro-play and macro-play level. The constant high pace and lengthy plays in our game are one thing that sets it apart and gives us so much more opportunity for spectacle.

Yet another angle, when you first show someone a footy - you pick it up, spin it a bit between the hands, have a bounce, give them the pill and start telling them how the game works. It's part of that initial introduction to the game that makes people go - "Hey - you guys is crazy!". Yeah we're crazy, this game is the bomb.

The fact that longs runs with the ball can be considered the best part of those other games is somewhat of an indictment on them, rather than some beacon to which the AFL moth should aspire. The day we degenerate to "Ugg run good" being a sufficient qualification for top tier footy is the day we know we stuffed it all up.

Exactly. Highlight reels of Bradley running down that West Coast wing, or McGaune running through the centre of the MCG and drilling one against Carlton would look at best, a fraction of the spectacle that it was without the bounce.

Exactly. Highlight reels of Bradley running down that West Coast wing, or McGaune running through the centre of the MCG and drilling one against Carlton would look at best, a fraction of the spectacle that it was without the bounce.
Only because we would see it more often. Instead of being a one off occurrence to be remembered for years it would happen every game.
Fundamental skill of the game argument I accept, except that you name drop punts, speccies and worm burners that you would see maybe three times a year at best. Hardly fundamental if a 300 game AFL footballer can go through his career without having done those skills once during a game.

Sorry I don't really rate the chance to laugh at a player as a reason to keep a rule. The rest doesn't really relate to any argument to keep the bounce.

I have never ever seen a "AFL is crazy" video or article that even mentions the bounce. It's a minor uninteresting part of our game. I'll agree that it is a difficult skill to master.

The fact that longs runs with the ball can be considered the best part of those other games is so mewhat of an indictment on them, rather than some beacon to which the AFL moth should aspire. The day we degenerate to "Ugg run good" being a sufficient qualification for top tier footy is the day we know we stuffed it all up.

Have you watched footy lately? We have stuffed it up. That day is long passed.

This is all a bit irrelevant anyway. The rule will never change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Epic first post. Hope we don't have to wait 5 years for the next one.
Don't forget the sheer pleasure in your team effecting a tackle on a player mid bounce and the agony of having it happen to one of your own.
#standbythebounce

This is all a bit irrelevant anyway. The rule will never change.

Not in any time soon, but one can't ever say 'never'

The AFL need to make more space on the ground first, so that we don't/can't attract the level of congestion, we're currently experiencing.
Some rules have been brought into place already but I can see a time we have less than 36 players on the ground at any one time.

This would have a dual effect. Creating space but also condensing the quality on-field at any one time. I'd like to see it.

By the way, it was a fine first post arguing you're case. Except that you had to sink into personal insults. I don't care that people have a different opinion to me, I'll admit that my thinking is more than a little out of the box, however I do care when people use derogatory comments to put down others who have a different opinion.

We don't need that. And I don't like it.

Not in any time soon, but one can't ever say 'never'

The AFL need to make more space on the ground first, so that we don't/can't attract the level of congestion, we're currently experiencing.
Some rules have been brought into place already but I can see a time we have less than 36 players on the ground at any one time.

This would have a dual effect. Creating space but also condensing the quality on-field at any one time. I'd like to see it.
Bizarrely I'll admit, but I'm actually a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to 18 on the field, 4 on the bench. To be that's more fundamental that an obscure rule like bouncing the ball.

I see getting rid of the bounce as a way of speeding up the game, encouraging players to run and break lines. It's not the cure but it'd help to break up all that congestion.

By the way, it was a fine first post arguing you're case. Except that you had to sink into personal insults. I don't care that people have a different opinion to me, I'll admit that my thinking is more than a little out of the box, however I do care when people use derogatory comments to put down others who have a different opinion.

But he said 'with all due respect' :p

Bizarrely I'll admit, but I'm actually a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to 18 on the field, 4 on the bench. To be that's more fundamental that an obscure rule like bouncing the ball.

I see getting rid of the bounce as a way of speeding up the game, encouraging players to run and break lines. It's not the cure but it'd help to break up all that congestion.
And I think soccer would be more interesting if they got rid of the off-side rule, but....

Off topic I know, but players will get fitter, faster, stronger. Not tomorrow but let's say in 50 years time.

The AFL is currently working hard on delivering the best game-day experience but when you've seen enough fireworks, dancing troupes, holograms, chanting etc etc the game will have to stand up on its own..............and it can and has to.

The grounds aren't going to get bigger but we can improve the ration by 10% of turf to individual. I just can't see a negative for it..........and I despise tradition for traditions sake. Awful notion to subscribe to.

6 in the front 50, 6 in the back 50 at centre ball ups, (and i mean the umpire throws it up), 2 wings on the centre square......at least it creates some space.

Umpires bouncing the frigging thing 250 feet in the air while 2 rucks have a square dance has destroyed ruck work.

Bit harsh lumping you in with the * drug takers.

As a promotional idea...Why doesn't the AFL consider a version of Rugby 7's as an idea? Instead of 7 players make it 10 or 12...per side..get rid of the bounce rule and watch the game flow helter skelter ...of course people would have to get used to the idea of 5 minute quarters....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back