NAB Cup Round 2 - Collingwood vs Melbourne Matchday Discussion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Why can't Kris Pendlebury get on the list , he's got to be better than some of our seconds out there tonight

G'day guys , first post , Dawes is the one I want to see the most improvement out of

Do you prefer Snake or Plisskin? Escape from NY...an old classic from my younger days.
You're right kind of, but we're half to two thirds reserves side atm.

Usually your depth players are surrounded by seniors, which makes things a lot easier for them.
The voice of reason:thumbsu:

Ceglar, Williams, Paine and Yags looked good.

I quite liked Rounds' effort across half forward.

Ugle could have stolled another 20m with his speed and pop an easy goal but got a little spooked and missed by plenty.

No injuries by the looks. That's a +.

Ceglar, Williams, Paine and Yags looked good.

I quite liked Rounds' effort across half forward.

Ugle could have stolled another 20m with his speed and pop an easy goal but got a little spooked and missed by plenty.

No injuries by the looks. That's a +.

I was not Happy with Yags his Decision Making is a Worry for me.

Ugle looked like he was Trying to Hard as he did not get much of the Ball until the last 5 Minutes:(

People get way to carried away on this board.

It's not RD 1. Of the Toyota AFL Premiership Season.

We all know that NAB cup is for testing players.
And those getting too down about our reserves looking average, they are. But they will develop this year. You don't get more than a couple of blokes puting their hand up for senior selection who are non - regular during a season where the team is expected to finish in the top 4.

The fact that Swan & Reid were subbed off at half time just goes to show how serious it was.

Now, let's move on from the final score and the performance of a bunch of some people who we've known are spuds for a while. How did Marty C, Yags, Fas and Paine play?

I didn't get to watch the game, but going on the comments about going backwards and short, I have 1 question:

Who was in / how was our forward line structured?
I've read that Dawes was playing in the ruck,which Im not too keen on, and didn't read anything about Cloke.

I want to preface this by saying i missed the last quarter (perhaps thankfully so)

random musings

Unlike many others, i didn't mind the game - thought we looked like a side tuning up for the season

Reid - a fit Reid is a great Reid
Heater - AA
Fas - effort, ferocious looking at a big 2012...just needs to stop trying to do too much (first option)
Buckley - he has the tools...but can't use them
Pendles - warming up nicely
Daisy - man love, star
Jolly - fit and ready to go
Young - i don't know what analogy to use
i) over wound-up toy car
ii) new puppy that wants to do/see everything at once
either way, I'm nervous whenever he gets it
Yagmoor - talent
Swan - waiting for Rd 1
Williams - knows where to position himself and quick thinker
Paine - size and effort...not bad signs from a first year 3rd marking option
Dawes - really needs to start taking more grabs and getting possession more
Rounds - just needs to lose the fumbles (i wasn't this confident 12 months ago)

I didn't get to watch the game, but going on the comments about going backwards and short, I have 1 question:

Who was in / how was our forward line structured?
I've read that Dawes was playing in the ruck,which Im not too keen on, and didn't read anything about Cloke.

At its worst we always had two of jolly, cloke and Dawes up forward, along with Paine

Which makes it an even stranger tactic

Quite a few of our young players tonight didn't look very talented compared to Geelongs kids etc but hey we won't be playing most of them this year thats for sure. The kids looked out of their league with a lot of fumbling and poor decision making. On the positive side we can only improve from here..........I hope lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quite a few of our young players tonight didn't look very talented compared to Geelongs kids etc but hey we won't be playing most of them this year thats for sure. The kids looked out of their league with a lot of fumbling and poor decision making. On the positive side we can only improve from here..........I hope lol.

Mate some of the Seniors where Fumbling and making Terrible Desions

Mate some of the Seniors where Fumbling and making Terrible Desions

Very true Dave but I didn't see much talent in our kids. I watched the Geelong match today and their kids looked quite good. After tonights performance, Geelongs young kids/depth players s**t all over ours.

Keefe just isn't up to it at all.

Firstly buckley,young and sinclair are clearly not up to it.
I wrote a detailed response but then BigFooty shat itself.

Basically I don't think you guys are far wrong, which is a bloody shame because I really like Keeffe. He is brave, has mongrel, is a beautiful kick, and is mobile for a 200cm+ guy but unfortunately not just plain mobile. To me that means that unless he can spend time in the ruck, he's going to struggle for a matchup most weeks and there are only so many Kurt Tippets in the AFL.

As for Sinclair and Buckley... my optimism is rapidly waning. They should be at a level now where Sinclair can execute and Buckley can make decisions, but neither seems to be occurring.

Impressed by Yagmoor, Rounds and Williams, and to a lesser extent Mooney (the guy is freakin' lightning), Paine, Hartley and Ceglar.

I thought Young, Cribbin, Keeffe and Ugle performed to expectations but gave me little cause for optimism in this particular outing.

Sinclair and Buckley I am finding it hard to get enthusiastic about these days.

Of the more experienced blokes, Fasolo hasn't been very impressive this preseason and I was hoping for more from Clarke in his return. Hopefully they're tapering their training toward the more important stuff later on.

Very true Dave but I didn't see much talent in our kids. I watched the Geelong match today and their kids looked quite good. After tonights performance, Geelongs young kids/depth players s**t all over ours.

I think most of Geelong Kids are Older then Ours could make a Difference

Im not fussed with the loss but:

Really what do people expect we have traded away our first round draft pick for the last what? 4 years? How many 'stars' do you think we recruited from drafting in that time? Always concerned me we would pay a price for trading out of that many drafts.

Geelongs kids do look good and they have kept there early picks as well as benefited from the Ablett trade.

Melbourne is a team who has been stock piling young talent for near on a decade so of course they will eventually click and it looks like Neeld is the coach to address there lack of defensive game.

On our youth/depth from tonight:

Yags is quality.
Paine will be good.
Hartley will be good.
Williams has been good.
Fasolo will be good needs to get more involved in '12.
Rounds vanilla but could be a solid contributor.
Ceglar was ok needs 2 years in the gym.
Young found a fair bit of it was good in parts but disposal let him down.
Ugle good pace and read the drop well but shocking kicking.
Keefe is not AFL standard and I'd have Hartley ahead of him already maybe a depth player but not 1st choice.
Sinclair needs to address the kicking lets his work down.
Buckley fumbles too much then freaks out and rush' his kick every game.
Shae Mac looks better down back then fwd.
Cribbin did ok.
Mooney needs to learn the rules but did some good things 2013/14.
Clarke barely got a look in.

All in all it's NAB cup and players are rusty/fatigued I reckon most will improve 10 fold by round 1.

I was happy to see Rounds back at half forward. He looked very good there in the 2's in '10 before losing his way last year.

Ugle didn't get much opportunity, but showed some of his class and hardness over the ball in some patches.

Keefe wasn't beaten by either Watts or Martin when he lined up on them, but looked poor a couple of times by not killing a few deep balls. I disagree with TRS in that I don't believe his mobility is lacking, his weakness for mine has always been genuine big man presence/skills and spring (thus why not try a ruck option).

Dawes was very average, needs to actually try and take the mark, rather than just looking to contest.

Young is a ball magnet at any level, but pace and decision making is a worry.

Just got home, that's one of the happiest losses I've ever been to.:D

We are no longer in Nab cup final contention, which means we can basically plan our approach from here till the season proper.

And the kids showed a lot;

Yagmoor taking the kickouts for most of the night was a nice surprise, he's already one of the best kicks at the club.
Paine is going to be a beauty, bigger then he looks at first glance, and is a contested marking player, they are rare.
Rounds was brilliant tonight IMO, the standout of the players that may push for selection in 2012.
Hartley killed Watts, so good to see, this kid will be a star defender in a few years.
Ceglar looked better tonight that he's ever looked, amazing really, just seemed at home out there tonight.

Plenty of others showed glimpses, but let's face it, we threw that game, we deliberately lost, when you make the 7 changes we made at half time, you are trying to lose to be effectively knocked out of contention.

Good night overall, Melbourne get a member boosting win, and we learned a lot about plenty of players.

Bring on the Crows, hopefully we keep a few boys back home next week for a run in the VFL instead of taking them interstate.

Thanks matty, that's reassuring view of things.

Especially the Hartley comments.

Reid looked really good in the first half, and of course still no Nate Brown and Taz.

Wonder if they'll go with Yags as Leon like replacement - at this stage of his development he hasn't quite got Leon's skills and decision making, but for kid, he's already pretty close.

How did you think Dawes went tonight?

Just got home, that's one of the happiest losses I've ever been to.:D

We are no longer in Nab cup final contention, which means we can basically plan our approach from here till the season proper.

And the kids showed a lot;

Yagmoor taking the kickouts for most of the night was a nice surprise, he's already one of the best kicks at the club.
Paine is going to be a beauty, bigger then he looks at first glance, and is a contested marking player, they are rare.
Rounds was brilliant tonight IMO, the standout of the players that may push for selection in 2012.
Hartley killed Watts, so good to see, this kid will be a star defender in a few years.
Ceglar looked better tonight that he's ever looked, amazing really, just seemed at home out there tonight.

Plenty of others showed glimpses, but let's face it, we threw that game, we deliberately lost, when you make the 7 changes we made at half time, you are trying to lose to be effectively knocked out of contention.

Good night overall, Melbourne get a member boosting win, and we learned a lot about plenty of players.

Bring on the Crows, hopefully we keep a few boys back home next week for a run in the VFL instead of taking them interstate.

Paine took 2 Very Nice Contested Marks then 1 that resulted in a Goal and one he was Running onto. Very Nice for Pick 50

Yagmoor does have a Nice Kick just Descion Making needs some work.

Ceglar did look Settled and helped that he did not up against Jamar

How did you think Dawes went tonight?
Dawesy was a little slow to get going tonight, but just before half time he started to look good, then he got subbed (didn't he?, other wise he went missing in the second half).

As for the subs at half time, it was chaotic being at the ground, watching the side come out and trying to decipher 7 changes, it did my head in.:eek::p

Ben Reid is a super star, anyone says anything else they're kidding themselves, he's our defensive rock.

But how bad was that backline in the last quarter, we put Daisy in the back pocket on Dunn, those around were pissing themselves laughing at some of Thomas' efforts, he should never play down back again lol.

Big positive out of the night was Luke Rounds though, always thought he'd push for best 22 this year, and he would only have to be consistently as good as he was tonight to do that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back