List Mgmt. Narkle, Evans, Tsapitolis, Stevens and Williams delisted

Remove this Banner Ad

Scott wont decide on sav mackie will.
And also sav might see the writing on the wall and ask for a trade for more gametime elsewhere.

Fyi in your numbers above (bruhn henry bowes mckenna in) that would only give us 1 senior list spot for draft (unless mckenna comes as a cat a rookie in which case its 2 senior list spots) but we could take only 1 pick and 2 rookie elevations (atkins and close) to meet the 3 changes.
We will have 2cat b spots free so will be interesting to see if we can find another sport player.

Mmm Mackie will decide, but I think there'd be a holistic approach/list management approach with Sav, given he's loved by the group and he's shown he can play a position that we are really poorly stocked in.

Yeah that is interesting, given the above. Would not surprise me in the least then to see us delist and re-rookie Sav, if he's cool with it. Was more pointing out that I don't see us taking more than 3 players in the draft this year, as it's not our focus given all the players we're considering bringing in

To everyone here, can guarantee Sav isn't going anywhere. Scott made mention of him in his post GF presser specifically, alongside Menegola and Holmes. Obviously Scotty and everyone else here loves him, and he has shown some ability to play down back in the latter part of the season in both the VFL and AFL - so he won't be one of the ones leaving.

If I'm to guess, it'll be:

Delist: Evans, Narkle, Stevens, Tsap, Z. Williams, S. Simpson
Retire: Sel, Dahl, S. Higgins
Re-rookie: S. Simpson
Elevate: Atkins and Close
Bring in: Bruhn, Henry and McKenna (and maybe Bowes and possibly Jhye Clark if we get Bowes and Pick 7)

Can't see many other changes besides those
Agreed with everything you said! Scotty has a soft spot for Sav the same way he always backs in Rohan. Mackie might be the top dog when it comes to list management but the club will let Scotty keep Sav lmao.

If nothing else, Sav is the absolute definition of a team player and that is very good for our famous culture. He was thrilled for the younger lads like Z Guthrie. He wasn't bitter in the least. He's just a good lad with a good head on his shoulders, unlike types like Jordan Clarke who had attitude problems.

Also Sav is worth keeping on the list as a really, really big body for the AFL boys to train against. People at the club have mentioned several times now how our success is in part due to the boys who are not getting games but who take it to the AFL boys at training. Sav is one of those lads. Other clubs have their big boys training against scrawny teenagers. Sav isn't at AFL level but he's the perfect training partner for those who are.

It's a bloody harsh business, football. Narkle and Tsapatolis got every reasonable chance, but the others seemingly played pretty well at VFL level for little reward.

Hopefully they wind up in the Laidler/Jermaine Jones/Andrew Carrazzo/Joel Hamling mould - players not quite good enough at the time for Geelong, but good enough at AFL level.

Can see Menegola going as well. Knows he is not quite good enough to be in the 'premiership' team and may be on the look out for better opportunities so may request a trade
I still don't think he's too far off. If Rohan, Duncan, Smith or Tuohy are injured/managed I can see a wing/half forward spot for him. All of whom may well get more rests.

I could easily see him getting 15 games.

I still don't think he's too far off. If Rohan, Duncan, Smith or Tuohy are injured/managed I can see a wing/half forward spot for him. All of whom may well get more rests.

Yep. Menegola was a case of bad luck and bad timing this season. He's still a factor for sure.

I'd love to rookie Sav and give him a solid year in defence. He didn't look too bad, seems like the sort of player that would benefit from always having the ball in front of him. Imagine him and SDK holding up the fort.
Why rookie him... He is on our list already.

Mmm Mackie will decide, but I think there'd be a holistic approach/list management approach with Sav, given he's loved by the group and he's shown he can play a position that we are really poorly stocked in.
Yeah, the departure of Nathan Kreuger is, I think, Sav's saving grace here. We literally do not have another tall defender on the list outside of the first 22. Without Sav, we couldn't cover the loss of de Koening.

Why havent they delisted dalhaus?

evans really turned out to be a big nothing burger.
Well he had too much of a hurdle to climb i guess.
Stengle, Rohan, Close, Miers were all playing infront of him.
Add to that the switching of Danger forward.
He had no hope of dislodging any of those blokes.
On Dalhaus... I think he's finished as well.

Most likely, yes. More to the point, I can't see another side going for him - it's not like he's Isaac Smith, where the pace and the kicking skills can see him through.

More to managing a list than just focusing on best 22. As Scott has said previously, whether you need to use them or not, you still need a list that bats reasonably deep.

Exhibit A Season 2022: We had a very good run with injuries. But if you think it through - what would we have done if SDK didn't cut it / or got injured. What if Hawkins or Cameron missed big chunks of footy through injury. Sav was most likely next in line to fill those spots. Neale was played but he looked pretty raw and if it came to the crunch, Sav would have played finals before anyone else on the list (in my opinion).

So whilst he's an obvious target to move to another club in some people's minds - he's also next in line in 2023 if we were hit with injuries. As he would've been in 2022. Same goes for Higgins and Dahlhaus - they were largely forgotten about by most of us later in the season, but both would've potentially played finals games if we had a couple of injuries.

Re Sav:

He will 100% be trained up to play key back next year.
Even the last club training sessions when the full group was together, Sav was training with O'Bree and working on marking next to the goal post (defensive post) stepping back around the post & trying to hit short passes coming out of defense.
Whether he ends up making it or not is another story.

We just don't have many key position sized players on our list that are able to slide into the side it needed.
Neale clearly is the forward option... and next year Sav will be the back option.

I give him a chance of becoming a Mal Micheal type in the backline... but I'd put a line through him as a forward or ruck.

For what we'd get for Sav... It's probably just not worth trading him (and I'm not a fan of his at all).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Open up a spot on the senior list
Do that with Simpson if u need a spot.
We have zero big men that can play back. Insurance.
I bet my left one that if he was delisted... he's be snapped up by half a dozen sides before we got a chance to resist him.
Just crazy talk TBH. Simply crazy on a management list view of it.
Oh... and Neale is the only other option.and he isn't a backman A hole.

Open up a spot on the senior list
Is that really a valid reason any more now that rookies can be played whenever? I know there is a minimum 2 picks you have to have, but once that threshold is reached, I dont see any benefit in terms of 'opening a spot', generally that results in something like pick 61 being available.

I thought the primary reason you do this is when you have a contracted player that you're not bothered about keeping, so you promise to re-rookie them to honour the contract in the hope that another club will take them and their contract in the draft proper.

Most likely, yes. More to the point, I can't see another side going for him - it's not like he's Isaac Smith, where the pace and the kicking skills can see him through.

Not sure about that, reckon there would be quite a few sides lining up for him and he'd be a walk up starter.

Nothing burger is a bit much for a player who was clearly too good at VFL level but got next to no chance at the next level. Assume he plays with Port Adelaide next year and we'll see then.
I really like him but I think this year suggested he's a guy who is a really good VFL player but lacks the step of pace to make it in the seniors.

You can still delist and re rookie contracted players we did with brownless recently and clubs do it all the time (see jared polec on norths rookie list etc). Its totally legal.
And another club could pick him up in the meantime, like Abbott.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back