Review National Draft 2015 Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

18 was still the 13th live pick. 40 was approximately the 34th live pick. I like it better, albeit clubs seemed to take much longer than usual to make picks.

I think that the clubs are currently conscious of over bidding. Mills went where expected, and the big man who went around 14 to GWS went early, but the other 4 Academy boys slipped a handful of picks (largely only 2-4 places, but nonetheless that's a decent discount in the first 25ish picks). Which is why Rice and Silvagni didn't get bid on till late.

Added a little bit of excitement to the night I feel.

18 was still the 13th live pick. 40 was approximately the 34th live pick. I like it better, albeit clubs seemed to take much longer than usual to make picks.

I think that the clubs are currently conscious of over bidding. Mills went where expected, and the big man who went around 14 to GWS went early, but the other 4 Academy boys slipped a handful of picks (largely only 2-4 places, but nonetheless that's a decent discount in the first 25ish picks). Which is why Rice and Silvagni didn't get bid on till late.

Silvagni was always a late pick. I'm probably using massively rose-tinted glasses but I'm telling myself that the afl clubs were so outraged about the Carlisle video timing/agent that they didn't bid on rice regardless of where they rated him.

Just need to lose the coach to stage delays and it would be excellent viewing. I still enjoyed it.

I reckon Moorabin Ghost must be pretty close to the club and he was definitely saying we were into Matho. He said we were so into him that we would have taken him at 6 and if still there we would take him at 16. He either isn't as connected as we thought, they fed him s**t at the club to see if he spread rumours on the internet or it was a deliberate ploy designed to get other clubs off the scent of our real plans. I was always a little concerned we would let the world know our plans and even said to him it could be a red herring which he denied.
That's what always makes me dubious about the information spouted by these 'in the knows';

a) They may have been earmarked by the club as someone amenable to gossip,
b) They may have been used by the club to spread misinformation,
c) They may be willingly spreading misinformation, whether at the behest of the club or not,
d) They may just be full of s**t and throwing 'info' left right and centre, only ever reminding people when they actually get something correct with a scattergun approach,
e) Knowing about events before they happen doesn't favour anyone in any way, especially when it's a massive half hour beforehand, and
f) What other inside 'info' are they disseminating and to whom?

Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day.

Last edited:

Unless the Tigers were there in which case they were all "I'll buy that for a dollar"and bid on everyting of merit.

Just watched Country v WA in the Champs and both of Rice and White impressed.

Rice is a powerful unit with a canon leg on him. Looked like a natural footballer and made good decisions.

But White was the more impressive player. Prototype flanker, 189 cm with long arms, good turn of pace and a penetrating kick. Was matched up on Ah Chee and beat him in a few contests. His kicking the definite highlight, will be able to set up play from the backline with it.

Also, Petreski-Setton from WA and Berry and Ainsworth from Country all looked like blue chip talents.
Im with you Petreski (spelling) is a serious talent. Top 3 for mine. Would be awesome if we got him

Let me stress, I'm not pushing that because of my cred or status. Look, all I did was say hello to Finnis, to congratulate him for us about to get Matho. Any of us would have done that... and I looked a bit of a nonce anyway, because I was obviously wrong! :p Everything else after that was because Finnis chose to be a nice guy.

The main reason I want to stress that it DID actually happen, is because I know that I MYSELF would have been utterly devastated about Brissy taking Matho, if not for Finnis explicitly telling me two seconds beforehand that we were never going to take him at that pick anyway, and proving it by flashing our wishlist at me for a second. I didn't want any of you guys to feel unnecessarily upset about it either (as many of you posted that you were after the Lions' pick). You all thought the Lions screwed up our plans - rest assured, they played right into our plans!

We have a great recruiting team, and a really open and friendly CEO. Top class blokes all round.

Gee, there's a lot of pissing going on around here.
FWIW we rated Gresham as an elite talent who Essendon were all over most of the year as they presumed Parish to GC.
In our calculations (everything's easy post draft) pre landing of Freeman Matho was what we needed.
When we pulled off the coup of Freeman and then Melbourne traded up and took Oliver, then other clubs with more than one pick drafted for needs, the pocket rocket fell to us.
Bingo! No brainer pick. Give us all what Matho offered plus, plus, plus. We then hoped White or Tucker fell to us for their elite skills, we saw Tucker go from the board at 27 and prayed no one would bid on Rice.
Bang. Done. Happy Days.
I'll also remind you that MG broke Carlisle before anyone else did, way before it can on the radar in the media.

Anyone who doesn't like it, just press 'ignore', it's easy!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let me stress, I'm not pushing that because of my cred or status.
Wasn't having a dig at you, Perse. More so those who seemingly stake their entire reputation on passing information.

An isolated incident like yours where it clearly wasn't harming anyone or an attempt for attention is nothing.

Wasn't having a dig at you, Perse. More so those who seemingly stake their entire reputation on passing information.

An isolated incident like yours where it clearly wasn't harming anyone or an attempt for attention is nothing.
Yep, all good mate. :)

Let me stress, I'm not pushing that because of my cred or status. Look, all I did was say hello to Finnis, to congratulate him for us about to get Matho. Any of us would have done that... and I looked a bit of a nonce anyway, because I was obviously wrong! :p Everything else after that was because Finnis chose to be a nice guy.

The main reason I want to stress that it DID actually happen, is because I know that I MYSELF would have been utterly devastated about Brissy taking Matho, if not for Finnis explicitly telling me two seconds beforehand that we were never going to take him at that pick anyway, and proving it by flashing our wishlist at me for a second. I didn't want any of you guys to feel unnecessarily upset about it either (as many of you posted that you were after the Lions' pick). You all thought the Lions screwed up our plans - rest assured, they played right into our plans!

We have a great recruiting team, and a really open and friendly CEO. Top class blokes all round.
No need to apologise or justify mate, brilliant work, Johnny on the spot, good on you for having more front than Myers to talk to Fin.

I would have been much more disappointed with Matho going a pick before ours if it wasn't for yours and the other ITKs posts, really appreciated them, they made the draft night.

So PS, would be correct to say the recruiting team were as happy as a pig in shyte after their haul last night?
It am no expert but it appears to me we basically got the exact types of players we wanted. Added to that Carlislre and Freeman it's a huge trade/draft period

Yep, much appreciated :):thumbsu:

273174f7e1630624c04e16fd7f040b91

"Never Matho? Good; now we can all get some sleep"

So PS, would be correct to say the recruiting team were as happy as a pig in shyte after their haul last night?
It am no expert but it appears to me we basically got the exact types of players we wanted. Added to that Carlislre and Freeman it's a huge trade/draft period
It was a funny old setup, because all the recruiting teams were locked away in a separate area from the main auditorium (at one point, I think somewhere in the second round, the crowd in the room weren't even getting a feed on the big screens, of which picks were happening!). So yeah, I never saw the actual recruiters. Finnis, Brown, and a few others who were out in the main auditorium were definitely happy though, lots of those handshakes-that-are-kinda-high-fives, smiles, little fist-pumps, y'know, that kind of thing?

Trout obviously said afterwards that it was "unusual" and he missed the crowd - but that's in a video that all of us will have probably seen on the website, so yeah.

Lol... Sydney recruit subscribed to two Goodes-hater groups on Facebook! The new Boekhurst.

https://t.co/LQoNARdQMa

(obviously, I'm not laughing about his racism... just his faux pa).

Im with you Petreski (spelling) is a serious talent. Top 3 for mine. Would be awesome if we got him

Have heard he's better than Jack martin and he was supposedly the best junior talent to come from WA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back