Strategy National Draft discussion (Dan Howe, Tay-ah Miles, Marc Pittonet, Willsmore, Webster)

Remove this Banner Ad

I suspect arupist is trying to say is that by delisting Grimley, we're taking a free hit at a kid who could turn into a decent AFL player, because it seems that Grimley won't be one in the future. Grimley presumably will either be drafted by another club or re-rookied by Hawthorn, so the worst outcome is that Hawthorn misses on pick 50 and delists Grimley in 12 months' time from the rookie list. The best outcome is that Hawthorn hits on pick 50 and Grimley gets it together in 2015 and becomes a decent AFL player (at worst). The downside is already known; the upside could be high.

RossFC is a decent poster so I will assist here.
Grimley has attributes - he is very athletic and can kick goals. However, there are problems too. He has the football attention span of an Auskicker. He doesn't play Ruck because he avoids contact - the evidence here is he always plays from behind. In the end 5 years with us is enough. Port maybe able to get something from his athleticism. There is no doubt he is worth a punt a Rookie level but for me a choice between Grimley and Pick 50 in the draft is an easy call. Pick 50 wins.

Good call for Hawthorn, For Port it's Grimley as a DFA or a Pick in the early 100's. Easy choice for us.

I note Tanner Smith has been delisted by the Dockers which is strange considering McPharlin is on his last legs. Is he worth a shot with pick 50. I recall he was one of the better key defenders when drafted.
I'd go the rookie draft personally. Wouldn't use a national pick on him. Still though he would be fighting a long way back with us and probably has a bit more value to a team such as St Kilda/Brisbane than us though

I said earlier that I'd love for the Hawks to take Alex Neal-Bullen, and I stand by that in terms of the character of the kid, leadership potential and as a replacement for Hallahan/Sewell.

- BUT -

I think the player who could legitimately be there at our pick who suits the Hawks needs and has the kinds of traits we're after is Daniel McKenzie. Athletic, good mover, strong hands, works off a flank and could develop into a midfielder. Ticks a lot of boxes. Echols has started the one man Jack Lonie bandwagon.. I'm creating the Daniel McKenzie runaway train!

Pick 31 - Would love a legitimate midfielder with height who is good in the congestion... ala Mitchell (minus the height)... and I'm praying Conner Blakely gets through to us. I really doubt that will happen... so might go for Dean Gore who is a little shorter but still smart around stoppages. Another I hope we look at is Brayden Maynard who seems a complete player who loves the contested game and 1 on 1 side of the game. Always good having someone who loves to compete.

Pick 49 - A smart half forward in the mold of Lonie, McLean, Caleb Daniel, Webb or even Hamilton would be a good fit here... as hopefully Luke Bruest will eventually migrate into an awesome midfielder, a smart HFF in the mold of Bruest would be awesome.

Pick 50 - A Ruckman such as Pittonet or a Forward/Ruck like Harry Dear here would be good, as we are running low on Ruckman now with the trading of Lowden and the delisting of Grimley (more a forward I know).

I know Bruest to the midfield has been talked about for years but can we afford to lose 50 goals per season? I don't think so. We need to find another small goal kicking forward (or conventional marking/goal kicking FF - I'd punt on Hodge junior or HarryD) before Bruest spends more time as a mid.

I note Tanner Smith has been delisted by the Dockers which is strange considering McPharlin is on his last legs. Is he worth a shot with pick 50. I recall he was one of the better key defenders when drafted.
Would prefer Roscoe Tanner

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wicked serve! :D
The ten fastest servers of all time are all recorded since 2004, with the exception of one.
7th. Rosscoe Tanner 1978 with a wood racquet with 70s technology. He would have killed someone with today's racquets.
Of course, Xavier tanner might have been a more appropriate draftee having already played the game.

I know Bruest to the midfield has been talked about for years but can we afford to lose 50 goals per season? I don't think so. We need to find another small goal kicking forward (or conventional marking/goal kicking FF - I'd punt on Hodge junior or HarryD) before Bruest spends more time as a mid.

I wonder if Breust's spot in the front half could be taken by one of or a combinaton of Hodge and Burgers. This would allow others to develop in the midfield and these two would still be availabe to pinch hit in there when required. Both are good marks for their size and both have the nous.

I wonder if Breust's spot in the front half could be taken by one of or a combinaton of Hodge and Burgers. This would allow others to develop in the midfield and these two would still be availabe to pinch hit in there when required. Both are good marks for their size and both have the nous.
Slightly different type of players, Breust is great at reading the ball off hands and weaving through traffic at pace.

Rioli plays a more similar type of role and if we can keep him on the park for an extended period next season I think we'll start seeing Breust play more of a midfield role.

Id love to see Breust play more of a midfield role especially at centre bounces where more often than not we win the clearance.

this is how i see it might pan out

Pick 31 - i feel this pick will be dictated to us by clubs before us obviously, i'm hoping Neal-Bullen drops through, he is my favourite or Blakely, maybe a Gore, Lamb, Cockatoo or Garlett, maybe even Miller or Bampton

Pick 49/50 - is where we can pick up some bargains i reckon, McGrath, Keitel, Daniel, Anderson, Glenn, Evans, Howe, Langdon, Hamilton, Hodge, Miles, Dear, Tagliabue, Ramsay, R.McKenzie

and then hopefully some of these guys are available for us to pick up in the rookie draft as well.........

Last edited:
Really hope we can get Caleb Daniel at one of our later picks. The more I see and hear of him the more I'm convinced he'll be one of those feel good stories in 4-5 years akin to Sam Mitchell and Paul Pupolo being told they were too small to make it at AFL level. Yeah Daniel is even smaller than them but everything else is there (game smarts, elite skills, endurance and belief) and he's no shorter than Boomer Harvey who looks likely to crack 400 games.

Reckon you might pick him up as a poor man's Ryder in case a 12 month ban is passed down?
Hoping Redden fills that role of ruck/fwd if Ryder is not there. Grimley next in line if picked.

Tyler Keitel for me.
I know his family well and if he grows like his uncles he should have no problem filling out.

As a kid he was a flanker / on baller who has not stopped growing.
Can find the ball, can play forward and back as well as being good in the air.

A key position player who still plays like a midfielder.

Tyler Keitel Height: 194cm
Weight: 86kg
Position: Forward, Defender

Tyler Keitel for me.
I know his family well and if he grows like his uncles he should have no problem filling out.

As a kid he was a flanker / on baller who has not stopped growing.
Can find the ball, can play forward and back as well as being good in the air.

A key position player who still plays like a midfielder.

Tyler Keitel Height: 194cm
Weight: 86kg
Position: Forward, Defender
He may be still available at our pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back