Strategy National Draft discussion (Dan Howe, Tay-ah Miles, Marc Pittonet, Willsmore, Webster)

Remove this Banner Ad

Only an outside chance he and Blakely are still there at 31. I'd have been happy with either at nineteen so....

I remember there was some scuttlebutt regarding the Pies being pissed that we took took Grimley ask they planned to take him with their next pick.
That's the story I remember and Grimley stated that Collingwood were the only club who had spoken to him.

So, Callum Twomey (on afl.com.au) suggests we may look at Touk Miller with our first pick. Anyone know anything about this youngster?

Other names mentioned are Dan Howe, Declan Hamilton and Damien Cavka. Don't think I've seen any of these boys mentioned on here yet.

So, Callum Twomey (on afl.com.au) suggests we may look at Touk Miller with our first pick. Anyone know anything about this youngster?

Other names mentioned are Dan Howe, Declan Hamilton and Damien Cavka. Don't think I've seen any of these boys mentioned on here yet.

check out the Hawks Board Phantom Draft in the stickied threads area

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I

im pretty sure that this phantom draft by cal twomey is quite old and doesn't take into consideration the shuffling around of draft picks after the trade period . I personally think we will try to draft taller midfielders , touk miller is 177 and we already have too many in the height range

Apologies , it is an updated version but think he had us taking miller in his original phantom draft . Maybe laziness on his part or he thinks we're really into that player

Apologies , it is an updated version but think he had us taking miller in his original phantom draft . Maybe laziness on his part or he thinks we're really into that player

its hard to get a read on who we might get so he pulled a name out of thin air......i hope a neal-bullen, blakely, glenn or miller gets picked up at 31..........

For mine, Paige Cardona's Phantom Draft is the nearest to the mark....And if we get Jack Nelson at 31 then I'll be very happy!....Agree with all her Hawk selections there too bar Wilkinson at pick 50....Would much rather we opt for Josh Glenn if he is still available, given he is a proven player at senior level. He is much more of a Wrighty/Bucky-type selection for mine!

best available at pick 31 no matter what the size type style etc….if there is a player that has deemed to have "slipped" down the order than pick him at pick 49 as best available, then for picks 50 or 68 go for an under ager that would go top 20 next year or mature age player ala stratton or pupolo from vfl/sanfl that we rate can play and transform into a good afl player…..can we use 68 to upgrade a rookie like willsmore? that is also an option

It would if we were going to grab a delisted free agent wouldn't it?
Unless were looking at 2 DFA grim should stay for 1 more year.

1 DFA wouldn't push us over the player limited unless we have to many rookies.

(could someone explain the details regarding how many rookies you can have with a full senior list?)

best available at pick 31 no matter what the size type style etc….if there is a player that has deemed to have "slipped" down the order than pick him at pick 49 as best available, then for picks 50 or 68 go for an under ager that would go top 20 next year or mature age player ala stratton or pupolo from vfl/sanfl that we rate can play and transform into a good afl player…..can we use 68 to upgrade a rookie like willsmore? that is also an option

That is no longer an option given the cut-off mark for Draft age eligibility is now 18 as of December 31 2014!

Unless were looking at 2 DFA grim should stay for 1 more year.

1 DFA wouldn't push us over the player limited unless we have to many rookies.

(could someone explain the details regarding how many rookies you can have with a full senior list?)

Assuming we have a full compliment of 40 then we can have 4 category A rookies on our list of which we currently have 2 in Webster & Willsmore & a further 3 Category B rookies of which we currently have 2 in Heatherley & Tatupu

For mine, Paige Cardona's Phantom Draft is the nearest to the mark....And if we get Jack Nelson at 31 then I'll be very happy!....Agree with all her Hawk selections there too bar Wilkinson at pick 50....Would much rather we opt for Josh Glenn if he is still available, given he is a proven player at senior level. He is much more of a Wrighty/Bucky-type selection for mine!
You know more about the kids than I, so do you think we have a diamond in the rough amongst that lot?

Last edited:
You know more about the kids that I, so do you think we have a diamond in the rough amongst that lot?

Up till almost pick 65 there will still be hidden gems available....It goes quite deep!

If you think back to the 2006 Draft, of which this one is compared most to in terms of quality of depth, then Will Schofield went at pick 50, Lindsay Thomas at 53, Robbie Gray went at 55, Tyson Goldsack at 63 & Justin Westhoff at 71!

So in answer to your question: Most definitely!....FWIW, I'm most drawn to the Vic Country lads, whom I know the most about....A Few steals there to be had I reckon!

That is no longer an option given the cut-off mark for Draft age eligibility is now 18 as of December 31 2014!

Assuming we have a full compliment of 40 then we can have 4 category A rookies on our list of which we currently have 2 in Webster & Willsmore & a further 3 Category B rookies of which we currently have 2 in Heatherley & Tatupu
………….
Interesting re cut off age date, i remember we picked up sheils and someone else as under agers with late picks….this is a shame as it gave clubs like ours with late picks an opportunity to pick up good kids if we are good enough to identify them…..personally i would have preferred we kept lowden and hallahan, delisted grimley and only used 3 picks in the draft

………….
Interesting re cut off age date, i remember we picked up sheils and someone else as under agers with late picks….this is a shame as it gave clubs like ours with late picks an opportunity to pick up good kids if we are good enough to identify them…..personally i would have preferred we kept lowden and hallahan, delisted grimley and only used 3 picks in the draft

Yeah...Pretty sure the Shiels pick-up was the last year in which that was able to be done....Apart from the new Franchise clubs which then had dibs on those kids over the following 4 seasons!....Sine then however, the draft eligibility age was lowered to the current cut-off mark at 31 December!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back