Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Yes - as a Pistons or Wizards fan, it was nice to enjoy an undefeated week

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What critics of the Lakers seem to overlook when sooking about free throw discrepancies is the Lakers don’t actually play any defence.

I honestly believe the all star game has more intense defence than the Lakers half the time

Eh, I reckon that's a bit of an urban myth.

They pretty much rank middle of the pack defensively, have hovered between 10th to 20th all season. Similar rank to Bucks and Sixers, and above playoff teams like the Dubs, Kings, Mavs and Pacers.

I'd say Ham runs a very conservative defence. The Lakers are 30th for offensive rebounding and 22nd for forcing turnovers, so they concentrate on getting people behind the ball. The upshot of that is that they give up an extra three possessions per game too, which makes the net free throw differential and foul imbalance even more stark.

They rank 11th in two-point FG% allowed and 10th in blocked shots, and give up a relatively normal proportion of attempts inside the arc compared to outside the arc - unlike say Chicago or New Orleans, which deliberately give up threes rather than twos - so there's nothing in the numbers suggesting the Lakers as a whole play defence less, or much differently, to other teams.

In the case of someone like LeBron, then yes, it's true - at this point he's a defence optional guy. But the team, not really. Technically they rank better defensively (17th) than offensively (18th) this season.

This statistic is out of whack, whichever way one looks at it.

2024NBA.png

Amazing, that the 5-year discourse around Tobias and his max contract, is only fully being reckoned with now - in his final months as a contracted player.

It's been an ongoing bit since he signed, but never has it taken so much weight because others have taken the lions share of the criticism. Unprecedent run.

Getting torn apart by the Wizards so far.

Knicks injuries and 76ers losing Embiid is the only reason they are in 4th at present. They are a bit behind the Knicks and Philly at full strength.
Ended up winning by double digits.
And yes assuredly they are behind the Knicks and Philly at full strength, but will they be at full strength?
Staying fit/healthy in the NBA is half the battle for playoff teams. No point in getting there if half your players are injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guess the Simmons contract legitimately could go down as the worst ever in NBA history

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back