NBA Week 21 - Where good health is the most important thing

Which team made a Faustian pact with the Devil for good health this season?

• The Thunder - Sam Presti probably got another first round pick thrown in too.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • The Celtics - must be luck of the Irish. Considering Ireland's history, possibly not a good thing.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Kings - if I spent 16 years in the lottery, I'd consider selling my soul too.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • The Clippers - that investment into aged care is really paying off.

• The Nuggets - if not the Devil, then it's probably all that medicinal marijuana.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2012
Smoothie King Central
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, New Orleans Pels
Hola, and welcome to week 21 in the grueling NBA schedule. Unless of course you are one of the copious numbers of NBA stars currently suffering from injury or affliction, in which case welcome to another week of sitting on your arses like the rest of us couch potatoes.

It's been a harrowing week for teams across the league. KAT - out at least a month with a meniscus. Steph's out at least a week with an ankle sprain. Bennedict Mathurin and Josh Richardson both scratched for the season with shoulder surgery. Scottie Barnes fractured his hand, ditto Westbrook. Evan Mobley's out again with an ankle, and Donovan Mitchell hasn't been healthy since the all-star break. Tari Eason's done for the season. Even young Wemby has been out this week. And now Ben Simmons out for the year with... wait, Ben is still in the league?

1710061951667.png

Medicos convincing KAT to undergo an MRI, as the alternative CAT scan would be confusing for everyone involved.

And that's just this week of course. Devin Booker, Trae Young, Tyler Herro and Zach Lavine among others remain out. The Knicks and Sixers have been banged up for weeks, meanwhile the likes of the Grizzlies and Blazers probably have more players in hospital beds than they do on the active list.

Of course the league's perennial hard-luck story hasn't gone untouched either...

no lebron. The lakers have not had a full roster for one single game this year

A minute's silence please, for the poor old Lakers.

Anyway, amidst all this injury carnage I thought it might it be a good opportunity to check in on the healthiest teams in the NBA - both right now, and across the season as a whole.

Disclaimer: I am aware that undertaking this exercise will inevitably lead to bad karma, jinxes and instant injuries to all teams named, so I apologise profusely in advance. In the hope of not derailing seasons forthwith, I will be touching more wood than Tiger Woods and Jenna Jameson combined.

(I did it, peternorth - I finally combined two of your great loves into one, mediocre pun. This is a proud day).

BigFooty's Top-5 annoyingly healthy NBA teams for 2023/24

1. OKC Thunder

If there's a team who deserves to be lucky, it's a team who stole their entire franchise from Seattle, had drafted three future HOFs within 12 months of doing so, and now after a whole two year hiatus from the playoffs, looks certain to be a playoff team again for the next decade. Oh, and one which has about a million future first round picks to add the league's youngest roster, which is already talented enough to boast the league's second best record. Bastards.

In all seriousness, Sam Presti knows how to (re)build a team. He also apparently knows how to build a medical team, because the Thunder have enjoyed a remarkably good run with injury this season. Their injury list currently reads as follows: N/A.

Their starting line-up have thus far missed a combined total of just 10 games between them through 63 games, while even their bench has lived a charmed life. You have to get down to 9th and 10th on their depth chart - Kenrich and Jaylin (the other one) Williams - to find players who have missed any substantial time at all, and even they have played 80% of games thus far.

I dunno what they're putting in the water in Oklahoma - well, apart from all this - but whatever it is, they should keep doing it. Probably.

1710064089537.png

This man has played all 63 games without snapping in half, Bruce Reid-style.

2. Boston Celtics

It's not like the Celtics haven't had players miss games. Porzingis has missed 17, Al Horford 10, Brown and Holiday five apiece, Derrick White four.

But overall, given the gamble they took during the off-season to load up on top-end talent at the expense of depth, things couldn't have worked out much better for Boston... so far. In reality, most of the games missed for their stars have been of the 'load management' variety, and rarely in concert.

The one exception is Porzingis, but even there the story is a sunny one. Given his injury history, one would think that the C's consider themselves happy with his playing 75% of games, especially if he's healthy for the playoffs. He's had some recent leg concerns, but his January knock wound up being less severe than it looked, while his February mishap turned out to be well-timed to coincide with the All-star break.

Given that Boston all but has the league's best record already locked up, they can afford to be cautious with Pork over the last 20 games or so. If his health holds up in the playoffs, they'll consider the off-season gamble they made to be well, well worth it.

It appears the famous four leaf clovers are to be found in abundance in Massachusetts this year.

3. Sacramento Kings

The Kings are here under the two year rule, after enjoying a remarkably clean bill of health last season, with virtually the same team. Nevertheless they've had a pretty good run in season 2023/24 in its own right.

DeAaron Fox missed a few games with some minor ailments, but for a relatively shallow playing rotation the Kings have managed to survive the trials and tribulations of the NBA's daily grind remarkably well.

Which makes it even more incumbent upon the current Sactown group to seize the day. A playoff appearance was a nice story last season, but if general health is maintained then a first round ouster would constitute a disappointment this time around. Something which the season long up-and-down play doesn't particularly augur well for. The Kings aren't old, but they ain't exactly young either. Malik Monk will be a free agent in a few months. Who knows what tomorrow will bring?...

Well actually, if the history of the Sacramento Kings is any guide, we have a fair idea of what tomorrow will bring - crushing pain. No pun intended.

1710094036203.png

There is no evidence to suggest that Sactown has incorporated alien technology into their medical dept.

4. Los Angeles Clippers

OK, so bear with me on this one.

I'm not saying that the Clips have had no injuries. In fact Westbrook broke his hand this very week. But compared to the history of this roster, I think we can all agree that LA has been a bastion of durability this season. Famous last words, I know.

James Harden, 34, has played 57 of 62 games. Paul George, 33, has likewise played 57. Ditto Kawhi, 32. That last part right there is cause for headlines in itself - when was the last time Kawhi played over 90% of his team's games? Exactly. Nobody would ever confuse PG13 with Karl Malone or AC Green either.

Even the supporting cast of Powell (61 games), Mann (56 games) and Zubac (49 games) have stayed relatively healthy. Westbrook too, until...

So, we should all probably raise a glass and toast to this group's continued good health. Except of course that they're LA, and these guys all decided to form a Superteam TM, in which case... fudge em.

5. Denver Nuggets

This spot was going to go to the Timberwolves, but then... look, let's all just be extra nice to Dannnnnnnnnn this week, OK?

Meanwhile their Division foes and fellow conference powerhouse - oh yes, and defending NBA champion - down in Denver continue to roll along nicely. Much along the same lines as Boston, the Nuggets have a kick-arse starting five, but what might charitably be called a shallow bench (perhaps even moreso).

Given this fact, and also remembering the Nuggets had a shorter off-season than most, their core have so far managed to stand up admirably. Jamal Murray has admittedly missed a quarter of their games, but given his prior injury history and the state of the team as a whole, I think most Nuggets fans would have taken this before this season started. Joker probably deserves more praise for his durability than he gets, while the likes of Porter and Gordon have enjoyed nice runs given their respective injury histories.

FWIW, Denver's bench - such that it is - has also maintained a very clean bill of health. When push comes to shove though, it'll be the starting group that will make or break the Nuggets' quest for back to back, and right now they're nicely poised.

And of course if things do go awry, Nugs fans will always have 2023. As a Collingwood fan, I think these are words to live by.

1710097461319.png

At least we have our health...

Honourable mentions

Minnesota Timberwolves
- Their main eight guys were having an ironman run until fate struck this week. The Wolves are officially cursed.

Washington Wizards - This feels like pointing out that the passengers on the Titanic all had exceptional dental health, but oh well.

New Orleans Pelicans - The Pels have gone three months without a major injury. Zion has played 52 games. By Pelican standards, these are blessed times.

Los Angeles Lakers - Considering they've built around Anthony Davis and a 39 year old, I reckon the allegedly cursed Lakers have been smiled upon.

Memphis Grizzlies - Just kidding. Did you know that there are currently 12 players on the Griz's injury list? That's an entire team - impressive.

Coming Up:

Monday
- Another Doc reunion, this time in LA as the Bucks visit the Clips. The Pacers visit the Magic, whilst the Lakers host Minny.

Tuesday - Detroit/Charlotte should be a barnburner. But if you like actual basketball, maybe Cavs/Suns or Bulls/Mavs

Wednesday - The second Philly/NY cripple fight of the week, and it's only Wednesday. OKC/Indy, LAC/Minny and Sactown/Milwaukee all look tasty.

Thursday - There's a Finals rematch in Denver, while old rivals the Lakers and Kings do battle in Sactown. Mavs/Dubs and Pels/Cavs also on the menu.

Friday - Should be plenty of points as the Suns visit Boston. Bucks/Sixers and Thunder/Mavs both have playoff implications.

Saturday - Pretty slim pickings. Pels/Clips is GOTD, but otherwise unless you like blowouts, watch the footy instead.

Sunday - The Lakers/Dubs luxury tax play-in battle and Kings/Knicks games stand out here. Cavs fans cop an 8am wake-up call as they visit Houston.

Enjoy an injury-free week, fellas.

* good road win ruined by what looks like a serious injury for Sengun. At least it appears ankle and not knee.

Landale is slowly coming good which is good for us and Boomers.

Minnesota Timberwolves - Their main eight guys were having an ironman run until fate struck this week. The Wolves are officially cursed.
Nek minnit, today's game:

OUT: Anderson (shoulder), Gobert (hamstring), Morris (hamstring), Towns (meniscus tear)

V8 Supercars Goodbye GIF by Supercars Championship

Another day and another game of the Lakers opposition committing more fouls than normal. Well into the 4th and AD himself has more freebies than the entire Wolves.
The Lakers part is definitely a factor, but this is a Wolves problem too. Jarrett Allen had 19 FTs the other day to our 22 as a team. We can't get calls to save our lives.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

* good road win ruined by what looks like a serious injury for Sengun. At least it appears ankle and not knee.

Actually considered putting Houston in the honourable mentions for 'decent injury runs'. Glad I didn't now.

The dude was having a great season, hope it's not too serious.

The Lakers part is definitely a factor, but this is a Wolves problem too. Jarrett Allen had 19 FTs the other day to our 22 as a team. We can't get calls to save our lives.

Exactly. Wolves have problems fouling players in the paint. Of which AD is one of.

Thoughts and prayers for Biyombo.

Too much prayers were the cause of the problem if you refer to his collapse a few days ago. He was dehydrated due to fasting to be closer to god.

Too much prayers were the cause of the problem if you refer to his collapse a few days ago. He was dehydrated due to fasting to be closer to god.
oh dear. ok then thoughts only, no prayers
Saddiq Bey started his week 21 where health is the most important thing by tearing his ACL.

Son of Skeletor has placed a curse on the league

Wouldn't say alright but certainly best case result.

Yeah, 'alright' is relative.

Given how he went down, you always just hope it's not career-defining. I guess he's not eligible for awards this season now, but that's small potatoes compared with his career to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back