Teams New England Patriots - The Pats

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty happy to have DMac back in the fold.
Lets just get # 24 to follow the same path.

If the Fins land Suh then all three of our division will have improved significantly ....pity there isn't a decent QB in any of the three challengers.
Jokes aside the prospect of Suh charging at TB twice a season isnt all that flash.

Rex will be good for the Bills and lets all just pray that the Green Gliders stay with Geno Smith and don't get an upgrade......Geno is doing a terrific job ;) and should ensure that the gliders stay in their rightful position in the division....last. :thumbsu:
Bringing in Suh and letting Odrick walk doesn't frighten me in the slightest. Suh is a great albeit incredibly dirty player but he's not J.J. Watt.

The Pats started re-stocking their OL for moves like this. Stork and Fleming will continue to improve and if the Patriots can agree to a long-term extension with Solder, outside of LG/RG queries, the Patriots will be OK.

I'm comfortable paying Revis a smidgeon more than Sherman for the ego factor. 15 maybe but 16 no. I'm not sure I consider that good value in the long run and despite the rising cap, is a significant amount to invest in a player not named Tom Brady. That extra 1 or 2 million per may severely restrict the Patriots' ability to keep Hightower and Collins.

I hope the Patriots keep Revis but we should consider the mid-term effects of giving Revis a mega deal.

Agree with AB. Revis would be nice to keep, but if he goes he goes for the money. So be it. It allows us more flexibility in FA and contracts for others. We were one bad game away from a superbowl appearance last Feb with a bunch of no-names and a high injury list, look where we got to. The Pats have had good results with molding the talent that they eventually decide on.

Not giving up on my VW avatar yet....... hoping for a LBlount moment.

Bringing in Suh and letting Odrick walk doesn't frighten me in the slightest. Suh is a great albeit incredibly dirty player but he's not J.J. Watt.

The Pats started re-stocking their OL for moves like this. Stork and Fleming will continue to improve and if the Patriots can agree to a long-term extension with Solder, outside of LG/RG queries, the Patriots will be OK.

I'm comfortable paying Revis a smidgeon more than Sherman for the ego factor. 15 maybe but 16 no. I'm not sure I consider that good value in the long run and despite the rising cap, is a significant amount to invest in a player not named Tom Brady. That extra 1 or 2 million per may severely restrict the Patriots' ability to keep Hightower and Collins.

I hope the Patriots keep Revis but we should consider the mid-term effects of giving Revis a mega deal.

I don't think any of us expected The Pats to fork out the 20 million for Revis ,that was never going to happen. Lets just wait and see if the two parties can come together and find some common ground with a longer term deal.
Can also see the funny side of giving DR just a smigent more that Sherman.

Good points regarding the long term security of keeping Hightower and Collins . I do smile now at Collins production and the raised eye brows when BB drafted him , with all the experts saying that we reached . In the fullness of time Collins looks like a very astute selection.

Will be ( as it always is ) interesting to see who we pick up in FA .

Quite a bit of deck chair shuffling going on with other teams in the supposed non active part of FA.

So as per right now:

We are down Wilfork, Vereen and Blount and Jets are favorites to sign Revis. Plus Browner won't take a pay cut and will likely be unrestricted FA as he won't restructure his deal and we don't seem inclined to take up option.

Not a great start to FA surely?

Patriots are odds-on to sign Harvin, though. That's something.
Meh.

In other news, the Patriots are hosting DE/OLB Jabaal Sheard. Signing Sheard would be a coup. He's a very good, versatile player.

I like that the Patriots still have positional flexibility at the forefront of their mind. Having players who can play multiple roles is a very good thing to have.

So as per right now:

We are down Wilfork, Vereen and Blount and Jets are favorites to sign Revis. Plus Browner won't take a pay cut and will likely be unrestricted FA as he won't restructure his deal and we don't seem inclined to take up option.

Not a great start to FA surely?

E87 am I being too optimistic thinking that moving Browner on will free extra coin up to get Revis ? Would be a huge dent to the secondary if we lost both.

And where the hell is Blount off to, I wasn't aware of that move. ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Revis is off to the Jets
If the guarantees are remotely close to what's being reported in the media, I am fine with Revis going to the Jets. No roster is worth blowing apart with Quarterback money for a non-Quarterback.

Coup for the Jets and in the short-term, it hurts the Patriots but they'll recover.

Haha at this rate the defence will be unrecognisable by opening night
You can't replace Revis but you can bring in some decent veterans and significantly improve your front 7. That's has to be the point of attack now.

Disappointed Revis has gone and I can't blame him for taking the money but he won't sniff a Super Bowl with the Jets. They're a fundamentally flawed roster with a significant amount of work to do.

Revis moving on whilst disappointing certainly frees up some coin to spend else where.

Vince gone Revis gone..... So who's on our shopping list ?

Hope they can keep Browner but that doesn't look likely at this point in time.

Revis moving on whilst disappointing certainly frees up some coin to spend else where.

Vince gone Revis gone..... So who's on our shopping list ?

Hope they can keep Browner but that doesn't look likely at this point in time.
It goes one of two ways; you build a front 7 that disrupts the point of attack or you build a secondary that makes it incredibly difficult to complete pass on. Given the loss of Revis, Browner and the front 7 building blocks in place, it seems a good bet that the Patriots front 7 will be better this season than next.

Revis is a loss but Collins and Hightower will prove their weight in gold.

If the guarantees are remotely close to what's being reported in the media, I am fine with Revis going to the Jets. No roster is worth blowing apart with Quarterback money for a non-Quarterback.

Coup for the Jets and in the short-term, it hurts the Patriots but they'll recover.

Yep, agree with that, which is why the Jets traded Revis to Tampa Bay in the first place.

But the Jets won't pay any QB franchise QB money for the next three years, so it's logical for the Jets to pay money to a bloke who deserves that kind of green. Of course, I'm assuming the Jets don't trade for Bradford as is the current rumour. Putting that to one side, the Jets will give back-up money to a veteran QB (Fitzpatrick or Moore), have Smith on his rookie QB contract for a couple more seasons and draft a newbie in the draft.

Jets have the space in the cap and the need to spend the money (per the collective bargaining agreement with the NFLPA) so might as well spend it on a free agent who instantly improves the Jets' defence (at least on paper).

Yep, agree with that, which is why the Jets traded Revis to Tampa Bay in the first place.

But the Jets won't pay any QB franchise QB money for the next three years, so it's logical for the Jets to pay money to a bloke who deserves that kind of green. Of course, I'm assuming the Jets don't trade for Bradford as is the current rumour. Putting that to one side, the Jets will give back-up money to a veteran QB (Fitzpatrick or Moore), have Smith on his rookie QB contract for a couple more seasons and draft a newbie in the draft.

Jets have the space in the cap and the need to spend the money (per the collective bargaining agreement with the NFLPA) so might as well spend it on a free agent who instantly improves the Jets' defence (at least on paper).
Dixie Flatline, you don't pay a CB QB money and you sure as s**t don't guarantee 33 million in the first two seasons. This is the problem with the Jets. Different GMs, different coaches, same self-perpetuating issues.

Espn is calling it "stunning". Anyone who listened to Kraft or looked at the contract knew what it was.

I'm sure the Pats will be able to sign multiple players that may not be as individually influential as Revis but as a collective deliver a same or bigger impact within the system.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back