NFL New NFL Uniforms/Logos

Remove this Banner Ad

This stupid trend started happening not that long ago with the Bucs and Panthers. Soon almost every team started having alternate black uniforms, even teams without black in them. At one point we had: Raiders, Steelers, Bengals, Falcons, Panthers, Ravens, Saints, Buccaneers, Chiefs, Lions, Jets, Cardinals. Teams there trying to steal from existing brands, following that black = intimidating look. Even the Niners started adopting black striping and highlights in the 90s.

There was a time before that when too many teams were going navy blue who had blue in their colors. Even adopting a darker blue to their traditional lighter toned blue. Now we're getting to a point where we will have too many predominantly black teams, especially if you look at the Nike mock ups. Could see even more teams who currently use a little black (like Eagles) going with all black looks.

And many of teams adopting silver helmets/pants and/or highlights when they didn't have silver traditionally. Pats for instance.

What the Broncos, Niners, Bills did recently should encourage more teams to go back to their roots, traditional colors. It's not only becoming more Arena-like with the passing rules, it's also threatening to look Arena-like with the uniforms.

I was just thinking this the other day.

There was a small discussion on the Hockey board about the Kings potentially going back to their original (and better looking) colors of purple and gold.

I know it's all about selling merch these days, but seriously, can't they find a balance between distinctive brand recognition, and selling merch?

I mean everyone's been switching to the same bloody colors for the last 15 years - navy blue, black, purple or ****ing teal. What's wrong with reds, greens and yellows?

I'm glad the Broncos are going back to the orange. Now can the Pats go back to red, the Eagles back to a real green, the Seahawks back to their awesome blue, green and silver combo, and the Rams back to their classic royal blue and gold?

That whole post...

clap.gif

I don't think they've ever worn it, could've sworn they have at least once, but it's there as part of their alternates rotation.

thumb.aspx

I'm pretty sure this was never worn in a match by the Bucs. I know Reebok brought out a line of black jerseys for a lot of NFL teams (Miami, Minnesota, Green Bay) that were never worn in a match.

I thought the Eagles started the whole Black alternate uniform trend.

The thing with the uniforms from Any Given Sunday is they have a distinct stripe on the pants. The Ravens and Saints where those black 'leotards' with no stripes or piping to break it up and I agree with Megalomaniac that they look pretty poor.

A lot of college teams have worn all-black uniforms. Some without any off-setting highlight colors, some with. And there's been plenty of college teams doing that monochrome dark uniform (like Seahawks) too, with their midnight green or dark blue uniforms. But they all look bland, including the Seahawks. Only have to google search and you'll see plenty of pics of this. The reason it's done is that whole 'attempt to look intimidating'. If you scroll thru the Nike mock-ups, they annoyingly do that too, every mock NFL uniform re-designed with black or monochrome accompanies a comment on how intimidating they look. If everyone looks intimidating then no one is. I really like the 70's/80's era when almost every team had very distinct uniform colorings/segmentation.

A lot of college teams have worn all-black uniforms.
How I wished Boise State and Oregon played this last season.

I liked the contrast between Oregon's all black (vs LSU) and Boise State's all white (vs Georgia)

any_given_sunday.jpg

All black can absolutely work.
Especially if its coupled with one of these matte helmets
cin_display_image_display_image.jpg

Matte helmets with monochrome black should never exist, but it's people like yourself who make them the bane of the uniform universe :p

I'm pretty sure this was never worn in a match by the Bucs. I know Reebok brought out a line of black jerseys for a lot of NFL teams (Miami, Minnesota, Green Bay) that were never worn in a match.

I thought the Eagles started the whole Black alternate uniform trend.

Yeah we have never worn it. Was released by reebok as part of a series of black jerseys as mentioned above.

Wouldn't object to us wearing an all pewter uni...

Superfreak....yeah, i forgot about them, the Eagles have also worn black alternates too, and could've been the first ones to start doing that and Ravens.

That jersey is not part of that reebok series. That is a legit alt that just wasn't worn.

The series you guys are thinking of was called 'lights out', and they had black numbers with colored outlines on a black jersey....like this.....

Tampa%20Bay%20Buccaneers%205%20Josh%20Freeman%20Black%20Champs%20Tackle%20Twill%20Jersey.jpg

A lot of college teams have worn all-black uniforms. Some without any off-setting highlight colors, some with. And there's been plenty of college teams doing that monochrome dark uniform (like Seahawks) too, with their midnight green or dark blue uniforms. But they all look bland, including the Seahawks. Only have to google search and you'll see plenty of pics of this. The reason it's done is that whole 'attempt to look intimidating'. If you scroll thru the Nike mock-ups, they annoyingly do that too, every mock NFL uniform re-designed with black or monochrome accompanies a comment on how intimidating they look. If everyone looks intimidating then no one is. I really like the 70's/80's era when almost every team had very distinct uniform colorings/segmentation.

The closest thing to monochrome I like is this.....

09000d5d81c1975d_gallery_600.jpg

44-16008-f.jpg

Indianapolis+Colts+v+Tennessee+Titans+6TIJG6Jh4gIl.jpg

4892329351_eafeabb0fd_o.jpg

The Indy pic is a great example, because it shows their awesome monochrome next to the Titans awful one.

We share the same views on this krisholio....the all-white or predominant white look is something i've always loved. Especially when you have little bits of color highlights here and there. The Ravens predominantly-white uniform is also great. As is the Seahawks. Raiders obviously have the best uniform in the NFL (unbiasedly) because they have that natural 'intimidating' home uniform black and silver works so well without being that bland all-black look. and then when they're away wearing white jerseys, the silver pants and helmet are so close to the tone of white it's like a predominant white look. And i especially like jerseys where the collar and sleeve cuffs are the same color as the jersey. Raiders and Niners white collars on white tops, for instance, looks so much better than Eagles/Ravens/Bucs type white tops with the colored band of the collar and sleeve cuffs.

And with predominant white uniforms, the socks make a difference too. Teams like Bears, Browns and Ravens who have all white socks with a little colored striping looks a lot better than those who wear full monochrome colored socks.

Btw, my second favorite sporting uniform of all-time is the Mexico national soccer team. Love that particular design idea of the top being a color, then white shorts, and then a different color for the socks. Doesn't matter the color combination there, it always works.

88780495.jpg.3238_display_image.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know the specific date that Nike's new designs for each team are going to be released for the public to see? Obviously I'm guessing that it'll have to be sometime before the Draft.

I'm most interested in the Seahawks because they're supposedly getting a complete overhaul.

Indianapolis+Colts+v+Tennessee+Titans+6TIJG6Jh4gIl.jpg

The Indy pic is a great example, because it shows their awesome monochrome next to the Titans awful one.

We wear a similar uniform to the Titans except our pants are the dark blue that's on the shoulders.

Does that sound better? Should the titans do something like that?

Re: New NFL Uniforms/Logos

Bleacherreport weighs in on the top 5 teams in need of a drastic uniform change...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/985696-top-5-worst-nfl-uniforms-who-nike-should-change-in-2012

honorable mention: falcons, and jaguars (who can't change till 2013)
5. Broncos, 4. Cardinals, 3. Vikings, 2. Bengals, 1. Seahawks

Basically that article is saying they all need to go back to their no-accent, traditional style/colouring jerseys.

Which I wholeheartedly agree with.

Hope they do, but they'll change another 3-4 years down the track, because merchandise and money is what it's all about.

We wear a similar uniform to the Titans except our pants are the dark blue that's on the shoulders.

Does that sound better? Should the titans do something like that?

The Seahawks gear is that gunmetal blue color which looks great on cars and occasionally electric guitars, but not a football team. And don't even mention the fluro lime green.

Why can't Seattle have this again? It looked awesome.

297645_display_image.jpg

As for the Titans, their colors are boring as bat shit (they should never have changed from the Oilers colors), but as long as they split their colors I can endure them.

Basically that article is saying they all need to go back to their no-accent, traditional style/colouring jerseys.

Which I wholeheartedly agree with.

Hope they do, but they'll change another 3-4 years down the track, because merchandise and money is what it's all about.

As I said earlier, perhaps it's time a few of these clubs found a way to do both.

I should've mentioned when I say "we wear" I mean the team I play for in Australia

I'm going to cop it here but I don't mind the Seahawks gunmetal blue but I am excited about the overhaul.

That older version doesn't seem intimidating and is fairly blah. Although if you updated the colours to a different shad of blue and grey/silver then I'd be happy.

The series you guys are thinking of was called 'lights out', and they had black numbers with colored outlines on a black jersey....like this.....

Sorry to harp on the Black jersey issue, but I'm sure a black line of jerseys was brought out in the early 2000's. I remember seeing Favre and Moss Vikings? jersey where they looked like the Larry Johnson one below, but in their teams colours
13246602251.jpg
Reebok-Kansas-City-Chiefs-27-Larry-Johnson-Black-Premier-NFL-Jersey.jpg

Not sure if this is the lights out series (or even black) - couldn't find much evidence on Google :(
images

I should've mentioned when I say "we wear" I mean the team I play for in Australia

I'm going to cop it here but I don't mind the Seahawks gunmetal blue but I am excited about the overhaul.

That older version doesn't seem intimidating and is fairly blah. Although if you updated the colours to a different shad of blue and grey/silver then I'd be happy.

I've never understood this. I'd find it intimidating if they're 14-0 and dominating all comers.

Put Butkus, Jack Lambert, LT or Ronnie Lott in the old Seahawks jersey and it becomes as intimidating as the Bears blue or Steelers black, IMO

I've never understood this. I'd find it intimidating if they're 14-0 and dominating all comers.

Put Butkus, Jack Lambert, LT or Ronnie Lott in the old Seahawks jersey and it becomes as intimidating as the Bears blue or Steelers black, IMO

That's a very good point :eek:

Yeah :)... maybe I'm biased too, as the old uniform was one of the reasons the Seahawks are my number 2 team.

Also, I was going to work Brian Bosworth in there somewhere, but I figured it would deflate my point.

6a00e55095a94d8834011168c6b4fb970c-500wi

Sorry to harp on the Black jersey issue, but I'm sure a black line of jerseys was brought out in the early 2000's. I remember seeing Favre and Moss Vikings? jersey where they looked like the Larry Johnson one below, but in their teams colours
13246602251.jpg
Reebok-Kansas-City-Chiefs-27-Larry-Johnson-Black-Premier-NFL-Jersey.jpg

Not sure if this is the lights out series (or even black) - couldn't find much evidence on Google :(
images

You could be right, but was Keyshaun Johnson playing for Tampa at that point?

The thing I like about the Dolphins is we've never gone down that road, bar the black accents on the numbers.

But even our numbers, though not the traditional block numbers that have been mostly used until recently, still maintain a somewhat traditional look as opposed to the fancy numerals teams like the Ravens and Eagles are using.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back