Teams New York Giants - The G-Men

Remove this Banner Ad

Historically, Eli doesn't always start the regular season well. Mind you this season is looking like a different kind of beast. Unfortunately for us, our problems at QB aren't really squarely on Eli. Our O-line is giving Eli an average of about 2.5 seconds to find a target and throw. Even if we had Tom Brady under centre, that is just not long enough to read the defensive coverage and make a play. The problem is further compounded when we offer up a far from stellar RB corps to relieve pressure on the QB, half of that subpar RB group is also injured.

From the games I've watched this season, we really need a new Left Tackle (they block defenders from rushing the QB on his "blindside").

We have arguably the best WR group in the NFL and a serviceable QB, however it's the parts around him (O-Line, RB and to a lesser extent, TE) that need to start working for us to be producing more on offense.

thanks for the answer. does the NFL have a mid-season trade period?

So how are we 7-3? Next to no running game. Second-rate OL. How long can our defence (who thought we'd be thinking that a year ago) and pass game make up for the deficiencies? Just waiting for the house of cards to fall down.

So how are we 7-3? Next to no running game. Second-rate OL. How long can our defence (who thought we'd be thinking that a year ago) and pass game make up for the deficiencies? Just waiting for the house of cards to fall down.

*8-3

:cool:

Eddie DeBartolo hopes to see George Young in Hall of Fame

Posted by Charean Williams on July 10, 2017, 3:08 PM EDT

453084302-e1499713600874.jpg

Getty Images

Since the Pro Football Hall of Fame added the contributor category, two owners and two general managers have earned election. The four likely otherwise wouldn’t have gotten in.

“Let’s face it: It’s almost impossible for anybody to compete against let’s say Brett Favre or Tom Brady or Joe Montana,” former 49ers owner Eddie DeBartolo Jr., a member of the Class of 2016, told Pro Football Talk. “How in the hell could anybody compete against them or athletes of their quality?”

General Managers Bill Polian and Ron Wolf earned election in the Class of 2015, DeBartolo in ’16 and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones will enter Canton next month in the Class of ’17. Former NFL commissioner Paul Tagliable was nominated in the Class of ’17 but did not receive the required 80 percent approval from selectors for induction.

The contributors committee meets next month to decide one nominee for the Class of 2018, with the full body of selectors voting on the candidate the day before the Super Bowl. As Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio pointed out, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen is a strong candidate for the spot. DeBartolo would like to see former Giants general manager George Young get consideration.

Young was the Giants General Manager for 19 seasons, with the team reaching the playoffs eight times, winning the division four times and producing two Super Bowl titles. Before Young was hired in 1979, the Giants had not reached the playoffs since 1963.

“There are so many [good candidates],” DeBartolo said. “I had sort of a kinship to George Young. I think he was a very, very talented man. I didn’t know him well. But the Giants were such a tough, good organization, so if I had to pick out one person in management, I probably would pick George Young.”

DeBartolo also mentioned Bowlen and former Cowboys player personnel director Gil Brandt.

“It’s a difficult decision, because there are so many good candidates who are so deserving,” DeBartolo said.

The Class of 2019 will feature two contributor nominees, but the Class of ’18 will have only one contributor nominee.

According to ESPN Giants reporter Jordan Raanan, Paul Perkins "hasn't blown anyone away" this summer.

Perkins underwhelmed in Friday's preseason opener, compiling just three yards on five carries. Even on his longest run -- a seven-yarder on the game's opening carry -- coach Ben McAdoo thought Perkins could have done more. "He has to make him miss and he has to run him over," said McAdoo. "We have to at least get a first down on that play." Perkins continues to split first-team snaps with Orleans Darkwa, who ran for 18 yards on three carries Friday night. Perkins is being drafted as a back-end RB3 in most fantasy leagues.

Source: ESPN.com
Aug 13 - 11:07 AM

Who were we kidding not addressing the running back issue. In a year we have a genuine superbowl chance, its going to cost us

Who saw this coming? Pretty much everyone other than McAdoo and Jerry. McAdoo has destroyed this offence and then sells Eli down the river

Who saw this coming? Pretty much everyone other than McAdoo and Jerry. McAdoo has destroyed this offence and then sells Eli down the river
Yesterday was very depressing. Such an impotent offense. Bloody Flower lettering Ansah by about 20 times didnt help either. Offensive line and running back a big issue

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yesterday was very depressing. Such an impotent offense. Bloody Flower lettering Ansah by about 20 times didnt help either. Offensive line and running back a big issue

Same as it ever was.

It is crazy and will not happen but the only short term fix for the O-line is to get Kaepernick (although he would be far worse in other areas).

If we had a read option/pocket escaping QB it would take pressure off the O-line and Perkins.

Eli is a sitting duck and can't get the ball off fast enough, and Perkins is hitting walls.

How unimpressive was McAdoo's presser. Threw Eli under the bus.

It is crazy and will not happen but the only short term fix for the O-line is to get Kaepernick (although he would be far worse in other areas).

If we had a read option/pocket escaping QB it would take pressure off the O-line and Perkins.

Eli is a sitting duck and can't get the ball off fast enough, and Perkins is hitting walls.
How about no.. Kaep is a dud

I know. Both scenarios suck I am not advocating for it. This would just be the closest thing to a ‘solution’ isn’t to the o line this year. But would create problems in other areas.

End of the day it looks like this year is a write off.

How unimpressive was McAdoo's presser. Threw Eli under the bus.

Absolute disgrace. He starts off by saying put this loss on me but then throws his QB under the bus. Eli is always willing to shoulder and accept blame even when its not his fault yet McAdoo does that

Look I'm all on the Kaep should start in the leage bandwagon and hes a miles better QB than Geno, but this is ridicolous

Eli is not the issue. Hes won the superbowl with s**t O-Lines, hes taken us to play offs with s**t O-Lines and 2 years ago he led a fine offense with the same crop of shite

The issue is that none of the issues from last season were fixed. We didn't address the run game, we didn't address the O-Line and were paying dearly.

Look I'm all on the Kaep should start in the leage bandwagon and hes a miles better QB than Geno, but this is ridicolous

Eli is not the issue. Hes won the superbowl with s**t O-Lines, hes taken us to play offs with s**t O-Lines and 2 years ago he led a fine offense with the same crop of shite

The issue is that none of the issues from last season were fixed. We didn't address the run game, we didn't address the O-Line and were paying dearly.

I don’t want Kaep either.

You contradicted yourself. Eli has led us to two SBs with s**t O lines but the O line is the reason we can’t win.

All I am saying is we ****ed up not fixing it and there is only one shot at MAYBE....MAYBE fixing it. And I doubt even a running/read option QB is even a short term fix to take pressure off the o line. But the status quo (Eli) means this year is gone. Which sucks but I would rather that more than Kaep.

I don’t want Kaep either.

You contradicted yourself. Eli has led us to two SBs with s**t O lines but the O line is the reason we can’t win.

All I am saying is we ****** up not fixing it and there is only one shot at MAYBE....MAYBE fixing it short term (Kaep). And I doubt even a running/read option QB is even a short term fix to take pressure off the o line. But the status quo (Eli) means this year is gone. Which sucks but I would rather that more than Kaep.

I think the O Line is getting way too much blame. McAFail is the cause of the problem I think.
Plus OBJ not being fully fit - but the O has been sooooo predictable:

Some stats (see http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...nger-elite-a-giant-problem-panthers-d-is-back ):

For instance, the Giants are providing Manning with more time to throw in the pocket than he experienced a season ago. Next Gen Stats show that he has averaged 2.76 seconds from snap to throw, which is significantly higher than his 2016 mark (2.53) and well above league average (2.63). In addition, the G-Men have improved their average time-to-sack-allowed figure to 4.38 seconds, after conceding quarterback takedowns at an average clip of 3.95 seconds last fall. Considering league average is 4.44 seconds, the Giants' pass protection hasn't been nearly as leaky as some have suggested.

That's why McAdoo and the Giants' offensive staff are also accountable for the team's woes. The Giants' game plans have lacked formational or personnel diversity -- the G-Men have been in "11" personnel on more than 90 percent of their snaps in 2017 -- and there simply isn't enough pre-snap window dressing to mask their favorite routes. Without exotic shifts or motions to throw defenders off the scent, New York is allowing defensive coordinators to read its mail.
I just hope Eli doesn't get back on track against us this week...

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Giants coach Ben McAdoo is not on the hot seat.

"The Giants believe he is still a future very successful coach," Rapoport said. "This is expected to be just a blip on the radar for the Giants." This is not surprising considering the Giants have not traditionally made in-season changes, but ownership's resolve could be tested if the team continues to lose. The 0-4 Giants host the 0-4 Chargers on Sunday.

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Remove this Banner Ad

Back