MFC Fans Only Non-Dees AFL discussion - 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to wonder what the **** is wrong with footy in Victoria

Perfect friday night, the tigers 5 in a row and bombers playing well as well with both desperately fighting for a spot in the 8

Should have been 85,000 but it wasnt even close

My theory is that the fixture is do repetitive now that games like this just dont mean as much as they used to, especially to neutral fans like the MCC and AFL members. Hawthorm v Syd the othrr week got a massive crowd - had to be strong neutral support there - fans want to see mote genuine great teams playing in prime slots, not manufactured or past day rivalries, in my opinion

My theory is that the fixture is do repetitive now that games like this just dont mean as much as they used to, especially to neutral fans like the MCC and AFL members. Hawthorm v Syd the othrr week got a massive crowd - had to be strong neutral support there - fans want to see mote genuine great teams playing in prime slots, not manufactured or past day rivalries, in my opinion
I dont think I buy that one, I think the game is just going towards its natural collapse
When I watch tv im not watching footy anymore im watching the manufactured sport they now call AFL

Footy used to be about big marks, kicking goals and huge hits
Now its a possession based soccer/basketball game which has become appalling to watch live with all the numbers around the ball

The AFL and the coaches need to take equal blame for this

Every game looks exactly the same now , chip it around until someone *s it up and then everyone sprint back to the other end and try and take a mark

I'm truly impressed by the typos in this post haha.

You have to wonder what the **** is wrong with footy in Victoria

Perfect friday night, the tigers 5 in a row and bombers playing well as well with both desperately fighting for a spot in the 8

Should have been 85,000 but it wasnt even close
Yeah, at one stage the cameras panned up into the stands and I seriously thought there only looked to be about 40k there! Might have been half time though...

What was the crowd?

Yeah, at one stage the cameras panned up into the stands and I seriously thought there only looked to be about 40k there! Might have been half time though...

What was the crowd?

Thats a disgrace considering both sides are alive in the finals race

I dont think I buy that one, I think the game is just going towards its natural collapse
When I watch tv im not watching footy anymore im watching the manufactured sport they now call AFL

Footy used to be about big marks, kicking goals and huge hits
Now its a possession based soccer/basketball game which has become appalling to watch live with all the numbers around the ball

The AFL and the coaches need to take equal blame for this

Every game looks exactly the same now , chip it around until someone ****s it up and then everyone sprint back to the other end and try and take a mark

Valid points, particularly the part about the AFL manufacturing themselves - the worst thing about our sport is how easy it is to change the rules.

Becoming professional sport has also been interesting. Back when it was semi professional, even just 15 or so years ago, the players weren't anywhere near fit enough to run all over the ground all game, so positions were more set in stone, and more genuine footy players could do their thing. Think Jeff Farmer, these days players like Farmer just don't get those one on one opportunities inside forward 50, or only do so when they are running back with the ball, not coming to it. It just made for a more attractive game. Chad Wingard is a gun, but can you imagine how much more exciting he would be if he wasn't surrounded by 20 players almost every time the ball went inside 50? He could kick 80 goals in a year easily.

Valid points, particularly the part about the AFL manufacturing themselves - the worst thing about our sport is how easy it is to change the rules.

Becoming professional sport has also been interesting. Back when it was semi professional, even just 15 or so years ago, the players weren't anywhere near fit enough to run all over the ground all game, so positions were more set in stone, and more genuine footy players could do their thing. Think Jeff Farmer, these days players like Farmer just don't get those one on one opportunities inside forward 50, or only do so when they are running back with the ball, not coming to it. It just made for a more attractive game. Chad Wingard is a gun, but can you imagine how much more exciting he would be if he wasn't surrounded by 20 players almost every time the ball went inside 50? He could kick 80 goals in a year easily.

Most of the best things I remember about footy growing up are being phased out game by game

Matty Whelans bone crunching hits and attack on the football
Robbo the human highlight real who not only took beautiful hangers but threw himself into packs like a cannon ball
Adem Yzes freakish attacking play with zero regard for structure
David Neitz taking a mark on the lead an knowing his whole afternoon would be dependent on his first set shot

Daniher deciding we werent going to win so swapping David Neitz and Al Nicholson around

Flicking on to the Hawthorn Essendon game because you knew something exciting was around the corner
Watching Barry Hall because you knew he was close to knocking someone out
Richo the one man show was as entertaining as any tigers game
The whole Brisbane team who could beat you up while beating you at the same time

Now its just watching one team be better than the other...
No good bumps anymore, like 3 players can consistently take hangers
Anyone who shows a personality on the field is told they are not a team player

I dont agree with zones but maybe they could bring in a rule like the over rate in cricket
If you dont have 3 players in your forward half for 50% of the game then you can be fined as a club for ruining the spectacle , repeat offenders get larger fines and so on ( its a stupid idea but modern footy is ******* horrible when there is no one to kick to )

100% don't want zones either, but I wouldn't be against handicapping players with weights like horse racing. Super endurance = carry lot's of extra weights. Lazy bastard who only trains two nights a week but is awesome at snagging goals from the boundary = no weights.

Be glad the game changes. It's not always in a good way, but it's still keeps things interesting and is better than, say, rugby league where the traditional way to play has been 12 blokes in a line with one guy behind as a fullback, and these days they still do exactly the same thing. The positions are meaningless as the only people who play are fast guys and big guys plus a guy or two who can kick and think a little bit, and the greatest innovation over the last 10 years has been big, fast guys. At least the powers that be saw sense and binned the scrum because there's no sadder sight in a competitive sport than 12 guys leaning on each other while the halfback feeds the ball in through the lock's feet. I have no idea how anyone maintains an interest in that sport.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Except our sport is heading the same way

Think of the difference in height size an personality of Lockett, M.Martyn , ablett snr, voss, liberatore, Pickett, Robertson , hamill , monkhorst , R.Harvey , Gehrig , Whelan etc

Now almost every player is a 6 foot endurance based athlete
Of those players mentioned only Harvey and voss would be told not to change in modern footy

s**t most of the guys now are athletes over afl players and every year I find myself liking the sport a little less

Is it cause I'm growing up? Maybe

But I just don't see people holding up the modern player like a hero like I did with Lockett and farmer and Aussie jones when I was a kid

Haha yes I see that now! I was loaded up on cold and flu tablets and had been out about that evening, then tried typing that long winded passage on an iphone. Didn't quite come out as I thought at the time :D
Hahahah I knew there had to be some substances involved...

The umpiring in the Cats Freo game is disgraceful. May as well get the umps in hoops holding Joel Selwood fan club banners.

Edit: 22 frees to Geelong halfway through the second quarter...

Last edited:
The umpiring in the Cats Freo game is disgraceful. May as well get the umps in hoops holding Joel Selwood fan club banners.

Edit: 22 frees to Geelong halfway through the second quarter...

They are doing the exact same thing they did when the Cats played North
Instead of umpiring the game the umpires are involved in the game

They are doing the exact same thing they did when the Cats played North
Instead of umpiring the game the umpires are involved in the game

25 in total during the first half, 9 more than any other half of football this season. Stevie G should get pinged for staging and the umpires should get sent back to the VFL or wherever they were scraped together from.

The problem with being such an overt tagger as Crowley is that the umpires are watching you like a hawk. Stevie J just knows he can try a few things on and get frees. If Crowley spent less time riling players up when the ball isn't in play maybe he'd get away with more.

Hasn't been to do with Crowley, really. In a pack on the ground, Johnson has given Neale a little kick in the head for a giggle, and hit (I think) Sutcliffe high and somehow managed to get the free for it which he duly dished off to Mackie for a goal. When Cameron Ling is slating the umpires for decisions for his beloved Geelong, you know something is up.

Yeah but instead of seeing Free kicks and paying them the umpires are looking for free kicks so they can 'stamp' their authority or some ******* bullshit like that

Also on Steve Johnson, He should be pinged for staging
He is one of the worst offenders, he takes any chance to go to ground and he should be made an example
I dont mind any of his antics off the footy but when your winning free kicks for staging then you should be suspended

30 - 10 the count now. What's the record? Whatever it is, must go close to giving it a tickle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back