List Mgmt. Non-Freo Delistings - Players of Interest

Which (if any) of the Delisted Free Agents interests would you like to see at Freo next season?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Given how tight our list is, I see this year's DFA as a compromise between adding depth for 2015 or drafting the next crop of Freo stars. Picking up a DFA would mean delisting someone else or not using all our draft picks. And there really isn't any amazing talent in that list above. I'd rather not end up in a rebuild in 2-3 years time because we picked up another team's rejects that have limited potential

Given how tight our list is, I see this year's DFA as a compromise between adding depth for 2015 or drafting the next crop of Freo stars. Picking up a DFA would mean delisting someone else or not using all our draft picks. And there really isn't any amazing talent in that list above. I'd rather not end up in a rebuild in 2-3 years time because we picked up another team's rejects that have limited potential
I think if there's any interest at all in any delisted players from our club, they'll just take them in the ND instead of having to find another player to delist and still have to take 3 picks. Having said that, I can't see us as a club clambering over the crowd to try and snap up a delisted player.

I would have thought Hamling is the most likely pickup for us on that list, however 'most likely' doesn't mean 'likely' in this instance...
I like the idea of Hamling or Mitch Brown on the rookie list. Hopefully someone's word on here saying Brown was over here having a chat with the club leads to a rookie deal.

I think there's two kinds of pickups with DFA's. One, the young kid that the club previously rated but hasn't come on etc and Two, the veteran that can cover injuries and/or provide better output than a current top 25 player. Fremantle seem to go with option 1.

As much as I think he is a tool Robinson would be a huge upgrade on DeBoer.

Agree. MDB offers nothing but effort really. He wouldn't be in any other team, aside from perhaps a developing one.
We can't beat Hawthorn with him in the team.

However, I'm not sure we need to replace MDB externally. Someone like Duffy or Crozier would be preferable to both MDB and Robinson.
We don't need upgrade of MDB we need a different type of player, the type with skills who can kick goals.

Agree with needing more foot skills. Game was almost gone in the Port final & MDB was pushing forward and refused to kick whilst off balance to 1:1s in the forward line. Knew his limitations yes, but his limitations cost us a deep forward 50 entry with the season on the line.

I would have thought Hamling is the most likely pickup for us on that list, however 'most likely' doesn't mean 'likely' in this instance...

Hamling's highlights video on the Cats' board reminds me a bit of Dawson. Likes to handpass, reckless abandon at the contest, tall-ish.

Hamling's highlights video on the Cats' board reminds me a bit of Dawson. Likes to handpass, reckless abandon at the contest, tall-ish.

Never going to be a superstar, but I love his work rate. I wouldn't mind spending a rookie list spot on him, if only because he has a few years more development on him than most others we'd be looking at in the draft; in terms of rookie elevations in case of injury, he covers some bases with that development and a degree of versatility.

Agree. MDB offers nothing but effort really. He wouldn't be in any other team, aside from perhaps a developing one.
We can't beat Hawthorn with him in the team.

However, I'm not sure we need to replace MDB externally. Someone like Duffy or Crozier would be preferable to both MDB and Robinson.
We don't need upgrade of MDB we need a different type of player, the type with skills who can kick goals.
Sylvia is the man to replace MDB if he gets it going.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have loudly bagged this guy at the footy on every occasion I've seen him play, but for some reason I'd be comfortable with us Rookie listing Shaun McKernan.

Big and strong unit who can play but has been woefully inconsistent. Certainly the most ready made of footballers available if you could get him playing good footy.

As much as I think he is a tool Robinson would be a huge upgrade on DeBoer.
Robinson has more football ability than any other DFA listed. Simple as that. If we're in the DFA market and we're true to Bondy's usual mantra of "best available", then Robbo is the one to get. But that does take up one more spot on our list. Comes down to whether we think there is better value in the draft and/or if we have another player on our current list that is expendable to make way for Robinson. IMO, we wouldn't have to look too hard to find that extra expendable!

I can only assume that the 3 people that voted for McKernan were joking.

I have made it 6 votes. 198cm had the second best vertical leap behind Nic Nat and was 6th in agility test at combine (source Wikipedia could be his agent). In reality a mid age KP with 5 years on an AFL list would not be a big risk considering they would replace Gumby and Keps. Still means that if we get a young mid and KP in the draft the list stays nicely balanced.

The crime against McKernan has been his coaches. He has been shuffled between the forward line, ruck, back line and pulled in and out of the side over his tenure at the Crows. He needs stability and a role, certainly has the tools.

Robinson has more football ability than any other DFA listed. Simple as that. If we're in the DFA market and we're true to Bondy's usual mantra of "best available", then Robbo is the one to get. But that does take up one more spot on our list. Comes down to whether we think there is better value in the draft and/or if we have another player on our current list that is expendable to make way for Robinson. IMO, we wouldn't have to look too hard to find that extra expendable!

Robinson is a lot like Morabito. Not enough room on our list for the both of them. McKernan is the one that sticks out to me. Interesting decision by Adelaide with Tex coming into FA next year.

The crime against McKernan has been his coaches. He has been shuffled between the forward line, ruck, back line and pulled in and out of the side over his tenure at the Crows. He needs stability and a role, certainly has the tools.

It is funny but younger brothers of good players tend to at least be serviceable not inspiring but serviceable especially at a second club:
Patrick Bowden
Sam Power
Robbie Tarrant
Andrejs Everitt
Brett Voss
Scott Selwood
Brad Hill
Matt Crouch

It is funny but younger brothers of good players tend to at least be serviceable not inspiring but serviceable especially at a second club:
Patrick Bowden
Sam Power
Robbie Tarrant
Andrejs Everitt
Brett Voss
Scott Selwood
Brad Hill
Matt Crouch
??

Sorry didn't see bolded part. In his draft year was touted as too soft and went pretty late in the draft but is a gun and should have gone higher. Point being good bloodlines seem to hold true in the end generally.

Back