North Melbourne and the value of making finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 7, 2005
Down the rabbit hole
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Fatebringer
Firstly, let me in all seriousness congratulate North for playing finals this year. This thread is not to kick them while they are down.

What I want to explore is the value of making the finals when you are clearly not a competitor and not up to the grade of the other teams in the elite placings.

As an Essendon supporter I speak with some authority. Last year we did what North did. We made it, and got absolutely smashed. It also happened in 09, but the circumstances were somewhat different as we could barely field a team due to injuries.

North, however, had their absolute best team in today, and got walloped. What is the value of making finals?

Firstly, let me state my opinion. I believe that making the finals is NEVER a bad thing, even if you get battered. Why? Because I believe you learn first-hand how far off it you are, and you get a rude lesson what's required to be successful in the crucible of finals. Despite the last 2 months, I believe Essendon are substantially better for having experienced where they need to be.

It's worth nothing, though, that Essendon were roundly castigated for making the finals last year and being flogged. Specifically, many North Melbourne supporters had a very firm opinion that we had hurt ourselves by making it and being badly beaten. That it would "mentally scar" us. That they, as a team, didn't even value making the finals nor want to be there unless they had a team that could win the whole damn thing, or at least go deep. This was a widely espoused opinion by a lot of North supporters for a long time, and one that I personally found risible.

As an adjunct, is North's game-plan fatally flawed, as many believed it would not hold up to the blowtorch of finals, as was profoundly illustrated today? Will today's result cause some heartburn in the North brainstrust and will they have to completely re-jig their game?

So my question is this: what value does the BigFooty community place on a team making the finals who are clearly classes off it. And, specifically, what do North supporters think, now that it is their team who has eaten it? Will it scar them mentally, or will they be a better team for having a ringside seat on what's required to be successful?

Playing finals footy as a younin a few times (obviously not the same as AFF, but yeah..) experienced helped a s**t load. We will be better for this. We know what it takes to play finals and we will come out a stronger team for it. The game plan, I don't think is flawed at all, it beat the best this year, minus the hawks and swans. The ability to execute the gameplan, is where it falls down.

Also, you can say you're not trolling all you like, we all know your game.

Playing finals footy as a younin a few times (obviously not the same as AFF, but yeah..) experienced helped a s**t load. We will be better for this. We know what it takes to play finals and we will come out a stronger team for it. The game plan, I don't think is flawed at all, it beat the best this year, minus the hawks and swans. The ability to execute the gameplan, is where it falls down.

mate, anything that isn't glowing of your team isn't "trolling" for crying out loud. I've asked a valid question and I'm genuinely interested in the thoughts of the BF community.

What is the value of making finals? I've made my position clear.

Like 119 has ****ed Port Adelaide, you wonder if these repeated finals thrashings will affect the club's mindset.

What is their record like in knockout finals this century?

North were utterly pathetic today.... Scott coached poorly today but who can blame him with the cattle at his disposal. Still relying on a selfish Boomer to get them over the line. North won't make the 8 next year.

Like 119 has screwed Port Adelaide, you wonder if these repeated finals thrashings will affect the club's mindset.

it's been poor, no doubt. But my position is that now they know how far off it, and the North brainstrust know that their coach possibly has nailed his colours to a mast of a ship that will never sail through the rough seas of finals

North lost 3 times to West Coast.

Like 119 has screwed Port Adelaide, you wonder if these repeated finals thrashings will affect the club's mindset.

They have an average losing margin of 78 points from 8 losing finals since 2000.

5 of those 8 loses were by 87 points or more.

Said it in the other thread... the final 8 is just an absolute wank and a waste of time. Clearly North just did not belong in "finals" of any kind.

Nothing personal re North, it's been the exact same thing for Essendon in 2009 and 2011.

Just look at the mathematics of it, you have a team who have just missed the top 4, at home against a middle of the ladder side.

It's just a waste of everybody's time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If they take something from the game in terms of learning about the intensity needed to step up in finals, then it's a success.

They need to look at how the Eagles played and learn from it. Take the disappointment and take it through the preseason with them.

If they can take something from it then it can be a decent thing

Finals have no value whatsoever unless you win the grand final /thread
utterly disagree. Now you know how far off it you are. You know that your game-plan that went ok during the year isn't going to cut it. Your players have a first hand view on what's required in finals. You've experienced being a feather weight against a heavy weight.

That's worth it's weight in gold, surely? How else are you going to learn where you need to get to?

Said it in the other thread... the final 8 is just an absolute wank and a waste of time. Clearly North just did not belong in "finals" of any kind.
Nothing personal re North, it's been the exact same thing for Essendon in 2009 and 2011.

Just look at the mathematics of it, you have a team who have just missed the top 4, at home against a middle of the ladder side.

It's just a waste of everybody's time.
This.

Bring back the Final 5...6 at most

completely disagree lads. Firstly, a final 5 would mean approximately 12 weeks of nothing games for 3/4 of the comp, and ensure tanking.

Secondly, finals is a lesson you need to learn - even if it's the hard way. How can you argue against this?

I believe Essendon are substantially better for having experienced where they need to be.
I agree when you say it isn't a "bad" thing, but I don't agree that it is "substantially" better to play 1 game and get smacked.

IMO a team is very marginally, rather than "substantially" better off getting some experience in finals.

Just look at Geelong v Fremantle.... Geelong had WAAAAAY more finals experience than Fremantle... doesn't count for jack s**t if you are not good enough.

So when Essendon or North or whoever play finals next, the main thing will be how good your form is going in, not whether you played finals 12 months or 24 months ago.

Recent finals losses for the Roos (lifted from the North board):

2000 - 125 points (Ess)
2000 - 50 points (Melb)
2002 - 38 points (Melb)
2005 - 87 points (Port)
2007 - 105 points (Gee)
2007 - 87 points (Port)
2008 - 35 points (Syd)
2012 - 96 points (WC)

Not a good pattern and one that, perhaps, shows a serious lack of heart.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back