North melbourne 'lose' Ballarat zone

Remove this Banner Ad

So with the dogies in Ballarat now does that mean eureka stadium upgrade is on the cards?
Maybe, but knowing our luck it will happen.

So with the dogies in Ballarat now does that mean eureka stadium upgrade is on the cards?

I don't think there's any plans in place for that to happen. I don't think it'll happen within the next 5 years.

What did you guys do in Hobart?

Since we have been in Tasmania we have engaged with the whole state. Footy clinics, school visits, even helping rebuild some damaged property in the bushfires just out of hobart. We have never been just Launceston focussed with our presence in Tasmania.

Since we have been in Tasmania we have engaged with the whole state. Footy clinics, school visits, even helping rebuild some damaged property in the bushfires just out of hobart. We have never been just Launceston focussed with our presence in Tasmania.

Why would you leave the door open to others by not playing in Hobart when it has the larger population of the two cities? Hobart is larger than Geelong, it was always going to lure someone else.

Why would you leave the door open to others by not playing in Hobart when it has the larger population of the two cities? Hobart is larger than Geelong, it was always going to lure someone else.
Because the club chose a 2nd home that would be beneficial to the larger population, rather than just our back pocket

Because the club chose a 2nd home that would be beneficial to the larger population, rather than just our back pocket

Larger population? Hobart is twice the size of Launceston.

North were the first club to introduce:

Club memberships
Jumper sponsorships
League fixtures
Club songs
Separate pre-season jumpers
Clash jumpers
Corporate Entertainment
Pre-match entertainment
Coterie Memberships
Social Clubs
Grand Final Breakfasts
Double header Football
Footy flags
Cheersquads
Friday Night Football

In 1998 we were the first club to play home games interstate, which has been copied by Hawthorn, Richmond, Carlton, St Kilda, Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs.
In the early 1970's, we were the first club to try and convert an athlete from another sport (Wee Willie Anderson).

Things North didn't introduce:

COLA
Salary cap tampering
Performance Enhancing Drugs
Tanking
Top post.

Everybody would be better off if the AFL just gave North Melbourne the Manus Island growth corridor and took all their games off FTA and put onto that new AFL.com subscription thing

A couple of Sunday twilight matches & Ed bitched & moaned as if someone had taken his first born. Collingwood lived 2 days in the life of North & could not hack it.....weak as piss. No one turned up for these games either, that is what the equilization is for, so the AFL can continue to manipulate a fixture that sees the game grow money grow so you can continue to get pampered & grow & half the comp suffer.

Me id like to see equity in the draw & time slots & less money in the game & a level playing field than get an extra mil or so from the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This.

On top of this it was determined that Launceston was the more accessible location to all quarters of the state.

Of course when North cut out grass the model was decimated, we've lost 3,000 fans to our Tasmanian games on the back of the Hobart games...

I don't feel that 3000 people were traveling down from Hobart to watch Hawthorn at Aurora.

I don't feel that 3000 people were traveling down from Hobart to watch Hawthorn at Aurora.

Pre 2007

2001 - 17,460
2002 - 16,589 average
2003 - 16,714 average
2004 - 15,067 average
2005 - 16,610 average
2006 - 17,889 average

Since 2007

2007 - 17,402 average
2008 - 17,528 average
2009 - 17,402 average
2010 - 16,172 average (talk of the AFL lobbying for 7 North games in Tasmania)
2011 - 15,716 average
2012 - 15,687 average (North takes 2 games to Hobart)
2013 - 13,241 average
2014 - 13,824 average

Either fewer fans are traveling from the mainland to Tasmania (although our Melb based home crowds are up 70% on a decade ago) or fewer Tasmanians are now going to the fixtures.

Since North have moved into Tasmania, the Hawthorn crowds have dropped off considerably, having rarely dropped below 16,000 for almost a decade, the average fixture now struggles to draw 14,000 (despite Hawthorn being back to back premiers, at the peak of their powers)

North appear to be doing good things in Hobart but it clearly has impacted on Hawthorn

My understanding is this was more about Tassie politics than the Hawks.

Happy to be corrected if wrong, but I recall there used to be an unofficial agreement in Tassie about the stadium use. The idea was Hobart would be the home of cricket, and Launceston the home of footy. This is one of the reasons Launceston spat it when the North deal was done, as they considered it a breach of the agreement between the two cities

I don't know Tassie politics enough however to know what motivated the change (be it from govt, the cricket assoc, or local govt)

A couple of Sunday twilight matches & Ed bitched & moaned as if someone had taken his first born. Collingwood lived 2 days in the life of North & could not hack it.....weak as piss. No one turned up for these games either, that is what the equilization is for, so the AFL can continue to manipulate a fixture that sees the game grow money grow so you can continue to get pampered & grow & half the comp suffer.

Me id like to see equity in the draw & time slots & less money in the game & a level playing field than get an extra mil or so from the AFL.

Leaving aside the anti Collingwood element - I agree 100%. Equity in the time slots for everyone. All teams get a minimum number of prime slots, eg at least 1 home and 1 away Friday game per club, no more than 3 Friday games home and away in a season (unless we have more than 1 Friday night game?). It is time to stop manipulating the comp and accept that some clubs are bigger than others.

I never understood North chasing Ballarat and Tassie - well thinking back it sort of happened that way because of Gold Coast (the worst ever option). Chasing two small markets was half baked and that will not appeal to anyone. Commit!

Now that North have started in Hobart they should go for it bigtime or leave. Going for it half pace will not cut it.
1. Get AFL commitment for a minimum of 12 games (home and away) in Victoria & get some away game membership rights.
2. Play 5/6 home games in Hobart (or maybe Hobart/Launceston?)
3. Commit to this for a long time (10/15/20 years).

And if the club really wants to show commitment, rename the club North Melbourne and Tasmania Football Club. (or NM & Hobart FC).

Hang on. Your team - North Melbourne - gets extra milllions year by year in their dividends that other teams don't get and you are complaining about them being "controlling".

If "controlling" means the AFL funds your ground's development, gives you 3-4 million $$$$ each year, and puts money in to ensures that you can go to the max of the salary cap which in turn allows your club to poach players from other clubs then that is the type of "controlling" all clubs could do with.

Every time Carlton plays North they are playing North and the millions the AFL give them..
Carlton supporters with this, again. :rolleyes:

If they paid me $4million I recon I'd find some time to help too:rolleyes:

But anyway, All clubs engage in various community activities. Its good for the players to see how the other 1/2 live & it benefits the community, so its a win win thing.

can someone please explain the who North vs South hatred thing in Tasmania?

I think I see what you are asking.
No doubt some people feel the tribal hate thing. Like the Sydney Westies v everyone else, or Melbourne's west versus eastern suburbs.
The N v S rivalry is mainly run by the Politicians & the Media. They seem to enjoy the whole 'them versus us' thing. I think that most people here see it as a load of crap.

I think I see what you are asking.
No doubt some people feel the tribal hate thing. Like the Sydney Westies v everyone else, or Melbourne's west versus eastern suburbs.
The N v S rivalry is mainly run by the Politicians & the Media. They seem to enjoy the whole 'them versus us' thing. I think that most people here see it as a load of crap.

Didn't Tassie not even have a statewide league until a few years back? Quite amazing for the smallest state in terms of area

Remove this Banner Ad

Back