List Mgmt. OFFICIAL: Dangerfield + Pick 50 for Picks 9, 28 and Dean Gore

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't quite understand this Rabbi. No matter what we offer Hawkins the reality is that there will be other clubs out there willing to offer him more money than what we will. So what you're basically saying is that Hawk is leaving due to being offered a bigger contract, cos that is what's going to happen.

I can't say that I agree with this.

Yep, I get that.
But my concern is that we need to tie up Hawkins contract before throwing big money at players from other clubs. Lets face it, Dangerfield will command big dollars. It would seem to me a poor bargain even to have Dangerfield enter through the front door only to see Hawkins walk out the back door. We may not be able to offer as much as other clubs, but if we are unable to offer a substantial contract to Hawkins but offer outsiders big cash, then I could see him walk.

Context of quote:
Regardless of the outside perception of the Cats immediate future, I think that a number of clubs will probably be in a better position to lure someone like Dangerfield than the Cats. As you have mentioned, we still have to have something to offer Hawkins to keep him at home. And anyone who thinks that a player like Hawkins would not leave Geelong for a better contract elsewhere is deluded.

I feel sorry for the Adelaide supporters they've got a lot to worry about when it comes to Dangerfield leaving, off-field the club looks like a bit of a mess, on-field success is lacking and the bloke was born 20 minutes from KP.

I feel sorry for the Adelaide supporters they've got a lot to worry about when it comes to Dangerfield leaving, off-field the club looks like a bit of a mess, on-field success is lacking and the bloke was born 20 minutes from KP.

crying%204.jpg

Yep, I get that.
But my concern is that we need to tie up Hawkins contract before throwing big money at players from other clubs. Lets face it, Dangerfield will command big dollars. It would seem to me a poor bargain even to have Dangerfield enter through the front door only to see Hawkins walk out the back door. We may not be able to offer as much as other clubs, but if we are unable to offer a substantial contract to Hawkins but offer outsiders big cash, then I could see him walk.

Context of quote:

I think you may be under-estimating the family factor; after all, he had a well-known father, 2 uncles and a world-famous grandfather play with Geelong. This had better count for something.

PS even if it didn't for Cadds and NM.

I think you may be under-estimating the family factor; after all, he had a well-known father, 2 uncles and a world-famous grandfather play with Geelong. This had better count for something.

PS even if it didn't for Cadds and NM.

I remember a player who had a brother, father and an uncle play for Geelong. But that family connection did not stop him from leaving his home town to travel to a northern state to play football.

He is a former all australian full back, he is a monster of a bloke... what do you see him as if not a key defender? Or is it the gun part... because he is a gun IMO and its why we were so keen on him.... You don't become an AA key position player as a 23 year old if you are no good

Yes he made the AA team but not as full back but as a back pocket - Brian Lake was full back.

I don't doubt he's a key defender but I wouldn't put him in the Scarlett or Lake class, that's all. Of course I'd have liked to have nabbed him given the age of some of our KPDs but at the same time I'm not shattered that we haven't. I can't say I'm worried about him matching up on Hawkins.

Last edited:
Boy sopranos are a dime a dozen. A man soprano on the other hand... could be quite lucrative!

Edit: I see there is indeed such a thing, as per Manboob's post. A castrato!

Very good.

Dangerfield is a poor Man's Joel Corey. I hope we don't sell the Farm for someone who continually seems to put his body where he shouldn't and doesn't have great disposal.

I might get howled down here or presented with brilliant D/E Stats but he seems to scrub a lot of kicks along the ground and has a habit of corking himself by trying to jump over players or sticking the Butt in the wrong place.

Hawkins must get sorted. Full stop.

Then Mots and Guthrie and a few of the other that come up this year.

GFC im sure have seen this coming and have been planning accordingly. As was posted earlier, the best FA you can sign are your own first.

Once that is done, then we can look abroad. And again, im sure the GFC brains trust have seen this coming.

Whether or not they have spoken unofficially to Danger or not, there will be an offer for him. I can just about guarantee to wont be the biggest one he gets.
And for him to come here, its gonna have to be driven by him wanting to be here. GFC just does not pay massive overs and i don't see this being really any different. It will be big no doubt - but not so big that it corrupts the ethos of the GFC - an ethos that has done us pretty well so far. It aint perfect but nothing is.

GO Catters

If Geelong wont pay overs but still make Danger an offer like $800K the Crows would be able to match that. So the Crows keep Danger. But if Danger then says sorry I wont stay at the Crows then if the Cats want him they will have to negotiate with the Crows OR Danger may elect to go to the trade where other clubs could match Geelongs "unders" offer. So lets say Danger wants to join the Cats I don't see it happening unless Geelong change their "rules" regarding player payments or Geelong negotiates with the AFC.

Whilst all this noise about Danger is going to cause heartache on our part its going to be very interesting to see how it all pans out. I hope he stays but if we lose him I hope we get compensated through a trade with Geelong. Heaven forbid if he goes to the Pies.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Geelong wont pay overs but still make Danger an offer like $800K the Crows would be able to match that. So the Crows keep Danger. But if Danger then says sorry I wont stay at the Crows then if the Cats want him they will have to negotiate with the Crows OR Danger may elect to go to the trade where other clubs could match Geelongs "unders" offer. So lets say Danger wants to join the Cats I don't see it happening unless Geelong change their "rules" regarding player payments or Geelong negotiates with the AFC.

Whilst all this noise about Danger is going to cause heartache on our part its going to be very interesting to see how it all pans out. I hope he stays but if we lose him I hope we get compensated through a trade with Geelong. Heaven forbid if he goes to the Pies.
Hes not coming here
More chance of S.S coming

Rainfall , unless you know for a FACT , that is the case..word something as your opinion.
What makes you so confident
Thread is full of people saying "He is a Geelong boy he will be home"
Where is your proof he is coming here? Hell why even have the need to make the thread unless you know for a FACT , he is coming back home

Last edited:
Dangerfield is a poor Man's Joel Corey. I hope we don't sell the Farm for someone who continually seems to put his body where he shouldn't and doesn't have great disposal.

I might get howled down here or presented with brilliant D/E Stats but he seems to scrub a lot of kicks along the ground and has a habit of corking himself by trying to jump over players or sticking the Butt in the wrong place.
This post 100%
Not only is he a poor man's Corey but he is a poor mans Boak who we couldn't even get

The nature of FA mean the current club gets well under's what one might get in a trade. The comp will see you get an R1 , not much for him but if you wanted more it might have seen an early trade happen this year? What would we have paid I wonder , for 12 months.
Its all rather new and Im not sure what happens if the Crows match. Geelong may in fact say we can not get the deal done and withdraw. Personally , I think at the most our offer will be a two year offer , a big amount ..that if successful will be extended and average out the contract..ie 1.5M , 1.5M , .8 , .8 , .8 etc. but if it is matched you will have to pay the big amount for two years and at the end of that contract he is Unrestricted FA.

What makes you so confident
Thread is full of people saying "He is a Geelong boy he will be home"
Where is your proof he is coming here? Hell why even have the need to make the thread unless you know for a FACT , he is coming back home
Personally I have always said the odds are in favour of him staying , but I do not know. It a supposition but there is a little to much smoke to say there is no chance of a there being a fire.

Joel Corey. Do not see that at all.

Personally I have always said the odds are in favour of him staying , but I do not know. It a supposition but there is a little to much smoke to say there is no chance of a there being a fire.
I don't like all the hope around on this site especially when majority of things are 50/50 but this is essentially a 1/18 cause every club would want PDF

I don't like all the hope around on this site especially when majority of things are 50/50 but this is essentially a 1/18 cause every club would want PDF
All clubs would like him , not all could afford him. Just this trade period Syd was excluded from trades. There will be clubs that could not easily fit him in their cap. There will be others that would be able to , or would be willing to cut and trade to get him in..... but he has a choice as well. Its FA , not draft.
Its meeting of the ability to afford him and who he would like to play for. That is not 18 clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back