Pakistan vs Australia (in the UAE)

Remove this Banner Ad

Glenn maxwell is night watchmen, and I expect a Gillespie type innings.
Any excuse to post about the great man: :thumbsu:
Jason-Gillespie-540x367.jpg

Rogers' Test average is almost 40. How is that sad?
I'm actually quite happy for him, most would have given up on a second chance at his age but he's making a good fist of his second chance, how many tons has he got now??

It's solid. But he came into the side as a 35 (?) year old with no genuine scope to improve. He's a middling stop gap.
All of this is true. At 35 (when he came back in) he's a guy who knows his game inside and out. He knows how to make runs and with a plethora of poverty batsman in recent times (Doolan, Marsh *atm, Maxwell) he's very handy.

What the hell was that Golden Circle pineapple diagram doing on the screen just then, as a summary of the match?

All of this is true. At 35 (when he came back in) he's a guy who knows his game inside and out. He knows how to make runs and with a plethora of poverty batsman in recent times (Doolan, Marsh *atm, Maxwell) he's very handy.
I know he hasn't done anything in the UAE, but the stability an old head provides is crucial for a brittle batting lineup.

Wow this is ugly. I always had this impression a few years that Pakistani Cricket was heading down the tubes due all the internal corruption and would become the new West Indies. Now they are handing us thrashings beyond the capabilities I ever thought they were capable of.

I've got to replay this game 12 years ago over and over again to drown away my sorrows:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow this is ugly. I always had this impression a few years that Pakistani Cricket was heading down the tubes due all the internal corruption and would become the new West Indies. Now they are handing us thrashings beyond the capabilities I ever thought they were capable of.

Well they did just get thumped by a pretty ordinary SL side and they couldn't even win a test series vs zimbabwe away from home, i think we just have to be realistic that this is one of the weakest era's test cricket has ever seen and that nearly all teams(exclude SA) are capable and likely to get their skulls thumped in if the conditions don't suit them perfectly.

Pakistan are still the same seriously flawed team they were a month ago just as we will be when we beat india in home conditions in december and just as england were when they belted india last winter at home.

I've got to replay this game 12 years ago over and over again to drown away my sorrows:

Wish Younis and Misbah were as loose as that this test...some seriously appalling shots in there.

Well they did just get thumped by a pretty ordinary SL side and they couldn't even win a test series vs zimbabwe away from home, i think we just have to be realistic that this is one of the weakest era's test cricket has ever seen and that nearly all teams(exclude SA) are capable and likely to get their skulls thumped in if the conditions don't suit them perfectly.

Pakistan are still the same seriously flawed team they were a month ago just as we will be when we beat india in home conditions in december and just as england were when they belted india last winter at home.
So true. Despite there being hardly any crowds turning up to test matches any more, the home team has more of a home ground advantage than ever due to the away team not accustoming themselves to the conditions. Certainly more than West Coast do at Subi for example now.

The ICC really has to look at countering this issue if it persists. This may act as a catalyst towards the much feared death of test cricket.

So true. Despite there being hardly any crowds turning up to test matches any more, the home team has more of a home ground advantage than ever due to the away team not accustoming themselves to the conditions. Certainly more than West Coast do at Subi for example now.

The ICC really has to look at countering this issue if it persists. This may act as a catalyst towards the much feared death of test cricket.

For starters you could have more than one warm-up game - and not play every squad member - and 2 test match series are for the birds.

I can actually just see things getting worse, test tours (even large ones like the recent eng vs india)getting squeezed into smaller and smaller windows, less meaningful first class warm ups more and more players globetrotting fulfilling duties for franchises even if it compromises fitness and preparation for test tours.

I don't think the big 3 and others actually care about the quality of test cricket being served up as long as the quantity is what they need to get paid by advertisers/broadcasters.

Really sad how impotent our bowling attack has been this series. Hopefully our batsmen don't completely embarrass us on day 3.

They have been impotent but the Aussies have dropped catches and missed stumpings in both tests, plus mucked up reviews. You expect Haddin to muck up sometimes (well I always do) but compared to the Ashes the catching overall has been disappointing.

I can actually just see things getting worse, test tours (even large ones like the recent eng vs india)getting squeezed into smaller and smaller windows, less meaningful first class warm ups more and more players globetrotting fulfilling duties for franchises even if it compromises fitness and preparation for test tours.

I don't think the big 3 and others actually care about the quality of test cricket being served up as long as the quantity is what they need to get paid by advertisers/broadcasters.

In 20 years time it'll be Australia and England playing tests and that's it.

I think you are doing England a dis-service there. India and Australia certainly don't do any more than give occasional lip service to Test cricket. The possible exception being the Ashes for CA. The ECB still treat Test, and even first class, cricket with some respect.
CA certainly don't care aout results on away tours. Money comes in the home summer, very little from away games. So why bother making players learn to play dead track conditions. Just give some bounce at home so Slats can tell everyone everything is great and ignore the rest. Away tours seem to just be a way to make sure teams will agree to tour Australia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back