Patrick Dangerfield Will Be The Best Player in The AFL in 5 Years Time

Remove this Banner Ad

I would absolutely love to bag Dangerfield but he's a much better player than Rockliff.

Rockliff is one of the great accumulators but simply isn't as damaging with the ball as Dangerfield or many other midfielders in the AFL. If this thread was about the greatest Dream Team player, then Rockliff would be right up there.

I'd prefer Danger if it was simply about pinging the ball from 50 on the run.

I would absolutely love to bag Dangerfield but he's a much better player than Rockliff.

Rockliff is one of the great accumulators but simply isn't as damaging with the ball as Dangerfield or many other midfielders in the AFL. If this thread was about the greatest Dream Team player, then Rockliff would be right up there.
Personal preference. It's like comparing Simon Black with Patrick Dangerfield. One is explosive and the other one is just more clever and more of a team player.

Why are people comparing him to accumulator types with minimal hurt factor? Yesterday in the last he grabbed the ball from a pack and just sprinted about 80m up the wing and kicked it 35-40. Went straight to a Collingwood player (who dropped it) and I'm wondering if that would be considered a clanger? Don't think his clangers are really that harmful to the team when he's just made a 100m play out of nothing and the opposition find themselves in their defensive 50 under pressure again.

His attack on the footy and his willingness to always take the game on make him brilliant to watch, so ******* what if that results in the odd helicopter.

It amazes me how ignorant other supporters are towards Dangerfield. The bloke is one of the toughest players in the game. Easily in the top 5 for toughest midfielders. He dives into packs of 4-5 players and wins the ball for his team. His courage is as high as any other player in the competition. He wins his OWN footy. Doesn't get 20 handball receives a game like some other 'superstar' midfielders.

He is no where near the best player in the competition right now. I criticize Patty sometimes because he does have flaws in his game he needs to fix. He's a superstar of the game. Is he in the top 5 players in the game right now? No, he isn't. Doesn't mean he won't be there in a couple of seasons though. The bloke is 24 for * sake. Not even in his prime yet. Lay off him.

He is no where near the best player in the competition right now. I criticize Patty sometimes because he does have flaws in his game he needs to fix. He's a superstar of the game. Is he in the top 5 players in the game right now? No, he isn't.

and in the context for this thread. the above is all that matters

What people don't realize is that even when Danger has an "bad" game, he still leads the contested disposal count or at least in the top 3 on the ground.

If winning contested footy is the primary measure of a player, why doesn't someone like Matt Priddis get more respect?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because it's the whole "vibe" of his game.

Comparing the two, it could be argued that Priddis is having just as good an individual season, if not better (especially when you consider the difference in game time and tackling numbers). And yet Dangerfield is considered one of the best in the league, while Priddis is considered by many to be a hack.

Comparing the two, it could be argued that Priddis is having just as good an individual season, if not better (especially when you consider the difference in game time and tackling numbers). And yet Dangerfield is considered one of the best in the league, while Priddis is considered by many to be a hack.
I was just looking at EXACTLY the same stats and was similarly surprised.

Goes to show that it's not just stats.

Edit: 2013 even more stark. Priddis averages 4 more possessions per game (both contested and uncontested), twice as many tackles, more effective disposals, higher effective disposal percentage, less clangers, more clearances. And all with 5% less time on the field.

Maybe disposal could be a touch better at times but the bloke is a gun and one of the best players in the comp, anyone that says otherwise is either an idiot or a Port supporter, probably both.
Or someone who believes that at AFL level you should be able to kick the ball to a team mate. Just because you can dive in and win it doesn't make you a good player.

FFS put up a Danger Priddis poll then
Ffs I'm agreeing with you. It's not just stats. I was just saying I was surprised about how they stack up stats wise. Presence wise and highlight wise Dangerfield is clearly a better player.

Ffs I'm agreeing with you. It's not just stats. I was just saying I was surprised about how they stack up stats wise. Presence wise and highlight wise Dangerfield is clearly a better player.

Yeah, but you could argue the other way that for all the "presence" and highlights, his actual quantifiable output isn't any greater. Sure, the flash makes Dangerfield more aesthetically pleasing and exciting to watch, but does it actually make him a better footballer?

Yeah, but you could argue the other way that for all the "presence" and highlights, his actual quantifiable output isn't any greater. Sure, the flash makes Dangerfield more aesthetically pleasing and exciting to watch, but does it actually make him a better footballer?
I say booting the ball out of a pack inside 50 and getting the ball and bursting out of a contested situation is a pretty good asset to have but yes he does need to tidy up his disposal but hey, he is 24 so plenty of time.

Does kick more goals, and carries the ball a lot more. Stands up and delivers when the club needs it too. Just a tendency to get injured in collisions a lot, which is interesting because his opponents never seem to get injured in the same way and you would think that they'd get hurt more, or that's just how it looks on the surface anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back