pendles rising star hopes dashed

Remove this Banner Ad

There's this kid called Ryder...:p

Point taken and I agree Ryder had a blinder for you guys and deserves his due. I thought the Dons played really hard fast and fair footy. Pies this year just seem to have that extra 5% when it's needed.

Point taken and I agree Ryder had a blinder for you guys and deserves his due. I thought the Dons played really hard fast and fair footy. Pies this year just seem to have that extra 5% when it's needed.

Ryder has a blinder? What game were you watching? He had 11 touches, and basically had no impact.

Ryder has a blinder? What game were you watching? He had 11 touches, and basically had no impact.

Obviously not the same game you watched....I thought he was solid all day and think he gave the Dons a fair bit of impetous...I watched on tele though..were you at the game?

Obviously not the same game you watched....I thought he was solid all day and think he gave the Dons a fair bit of impetous...I watched on tele though..were you at the game?

Yeah I was, and to be honest I hardly noticed him.

Maybe I was delirious with anticipation of the win...I am an old bastard and sometimes drift off into 1990's ville....but you will agree Pendles played well.

I thought Pendles was definately in our best. Very good game.

Sorry peoples but I reckon baring injury selwood has it in the bag. 5 weeks ago the award was pendles but I have to Say selwood is the best first year player I can ever remember. Constantly geeting 25 touches a game now and always makes the right decision and to top it off he was one tough kid. If only he had lasted 1 more pick in the draft as I have not doubt the club would have taken him(they mentioned the 3 mids they had there eye on had gone)
Take nothing away from pendles he will be a star and the award does not mean anything long term but I honestly believe the selwood will be a very clear winner now.
i agree, but its not only for first yr players!
the fact that only 5 weeks ago it was pendles means that it is at least a 2 horse race! Selwood will be a star as wil pendelbury! who will be the rising star nobody knows. 50:50 in my opinion

Pendlebury will win the NAB Rising Star. That has been the concensus throught the year, and l can't see anything to change that.
He is a ball winner, kicks goals and more importantly creates alot of the play with his vision, evasive skills and his ability to use the ball beautifully.
He was definately one of our best yesterday against Essendon, and was in our best the week before against Geelong.
With Selwood the number of really good games he has played you could probably count on one hand. He certainly looks to be a star in the making, but he has really only played his best footy over the last few weeks. Pendles has been good all season.

If the award was judged on the proper criteria's Pendles is a shoe in. I get pissed at people that say Selwood should win it because he is a first year player. It's not the criteria. If they want first year players to win it should be known as the first year player award.

Hype has a major influence on who gets these things and the remaining rounds will be telling. Whoever has the best of the last five rounds will probably win it. I think if Pendlebury can kick about 2 goals a game he can edge out Selwood, but I have to say Selwood is having an impact on games and the Cats are getting a lot of him.

Some people have as good as given the Rising Star to Selwood already. But if Pendles can keep playing like he did yesterday, it's far from over (and I'm not convinced Selwood is in front anyway). 20 possessions, two goals, and at least one contested mark -- they're impressive stats.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selwood has one hand on the award. It would take some eye catching performances over the rest of the season for Pendlebury to take it. The TV commentators are getting on the Selwood bandwagon big time. Not saying it isn’t warranted at all but it does help in sort of voted award. The fact Selwood is a first year player and Pendlebury is a second year player speaks volumes for Selwood notwithstanding the performance of Geelong’s midfield this year. Either would be a worthy winner. I still reckon I’d swap ‘em both for Hawkins though. A decade of Hawkins and Cloke as the key forwards is a decade to build a premiership reign around. If Nathan Ablett kicks on look out for the Cats!

Will Clarke will be eligible next year if he plays every game for the rest of this year? If so, get on early.

I agree, Selwood will get the rising star. I don't necessarily agree he has been a better player this year, but there is no doubt he is a gun & the hype around him will make sure he gets the nod over Pendles. I have no faith at all in the way the Rising Star is decided after Heater missed out to Danyle Pearce last year. What a crock & Heater is now making that decision look all the more stupid as he is now one of the most dominant half backs in the comp, while Pearce is a very inconsistent second year player.

Would be interesting to know their selection criteria for the winner & who votes.

i recon they would be around the same and plus there is still what 6 weeks of footy pendles might have a few blinders

Last year all the hype was around son of the hairstyle (Raines) and a bloke from Port won (of course Heath should have). Stuff the hype, time will tell.

Don't want to sound too paranoid but it's pointless even worrying about these things if you are associated with Collingwood. Invariably, there will be too many committee members who just don't like us. Doubt me - just think (so-called) 'Team of the Century'!

If the award was judged on the proper criteria's Pendles is a shoe in. I get pissed at people that say Selwood should win it because he is a first year player. It's not the criteria. If they want first year players to win it should be known as the first year player award.

The award is call Rising Star - it's not called Best first year player.

Pendles still has a very good chance........But we must remember that the judging panel includes Collingwood-hating arse clowns like KB and Wallsy so I wouldn't be putting my money on it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back