Society/Culture People, crime and the law

People, crime and the law

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Play the ball mate. I was just summing up your postion in the other thread. I did say 'feel free to correct me if I was wrong'. And don't call me a liar. Abuse is the lowest form of debate.
When you lie about comments never made and I call you out on it by calling you a liar, that is not abuse. Calling something a racist without a shred of evidence is, however, abuse.

On topic - you clearly in the other thread made the following claims:
  • 'Certain races/ ethnicities are predisposed to crime, that cannot be explained by mere references to gender and socio-economics'
  • 'It is a correct and natural state of affairs to be 'wary' of these races/ ethnicities' based on biological appearance
  • 'Race/ ethnicity is a partly biological construct'
Which of those three points do you not agree with?
Never said any of those things. You are deliberately trying to twist around my words to imbue them with an unintended meaning.

I ask that you withdraw and apologise for your offensive use of quotation marks unless you can link to an actual quote from me.

Actually its not. The terms race and ethnicity are used interchangeably. Youre actually using 'race' in a very naive and outdated way.

See this link for a laymans explanation.
You quote Wikipedia. May as well quote your mother.When I quoted Google it was because I was joking. Your quoting of Wikipedia is just a joke.

Provide proper sources.

The notion of "race as a social construct" became popular around 2000 when two geneticists working on the DNA project came out and stated that humans shared 99.9% of DNA. All the lefties and hippies came out and rejoiced. Their prayers were answered! Now they could do away with white people!

But lets remember that we also share between 96-99% of our DNA with chimpanzees. Does this also mean they should be included in the global human family? Now we can even join bonobos to our happy little family: http://news.sciencemag.org/plants-animals/2012/06/bonobos-join-chimps-closest-human-relatives

Of course, this was a bit rash, it started to to unravel around 2005 when people start to conduct some unbiased research:
http://www.world-science.net/exclusives/050128_racefrm.htm

Now they realise they were perhaps a little hasty:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/6174510.stm

Dont call me a coward. Again, name calling on the forums isnt cool -that and it kinda insta-gimps your argument.
You misquote me and chop off parts of my posts to deliberately distort their meaning then have the temerity to call into question my conduct. Nice.

You clearly argued that certain races/ ethnicities have a predisposition towards crime (that cannot be explained by socioeconomics). That means that certain races/ ethnicities have a general propensity for criminal behaviour.

Look the word up if you dont believe me.
I never said general propensity. In fact I said:

Is a black person born into an upper class second or third generation Australian family with secular values going to me more likely to commit crime than a white person born into the same environment? Of course not, that would indeed be racist. I'm not saying there is a biological imperative to crime at all.

But that isn't even what I had said at all. Do I think Oprah is more likely to steal a handbag or whatever based on her race? Of course not, that is stupid. But when dealing with a situation in which one has nothing to go but a judgement based on appearance, it is not irrational to consider factor such as ethnicity.

Or did you skim over it because it didn't suit your image of me as a jackbooted neo Nazi?

Have a read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_(human_classification)

OED:

The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Wiki:

Racism consists of both prejudice and discrimination based in social perceptions of biological differences between peoples. It often takes the form of social actions, practices or beliefs, or political systems that consider different races to be ranked as inherently superior or inferior to each other, based on presumed shared inheritable traits, abilities, or qualities.
And what does your mum have to say on the topic? Provide some kind of proper source that cant be edited by tin foil types or nothing at all.

The OED one is fine. I would agree with that definition in any event. Its not some juiced up political definition like the Wikitionary one is.

Here we go:

Of course there was also your reply to my comment 'Not all Africans are thieves' found here:

If you're not suggesting certain ethnicites/races have a predisposition to crime here, WTF are you saying?
I'm saying they commit more crime. I'm saying that due to ethnic differences they are more likely to commit crime.

You are intent on provide excuses, so I'll give you another example. Would I act the same way around a Pitbull or Rottweiler that has been mistreated or raised to be agressive than a poodle or Jack Russell that hasn't? Of course not. Doesn't mean I blame the dog. I blame its upbringing and owner. But yes, my initial judgement will be that because it is a Rottweiler I should be more careful because they statistically are more likely to harm. Am I going to be surprised if it doesn't attack? Of course not, I'm not expected it to attack, I'm just on guard in case it does.

Do you blame police forces for patrolling more in areas known to have higher rates of crime? Or do you expect equality and for them to patrol the city in a geographically "inclusive manner"?

Do you disagree that:
-Black people commit more crime than white people
-That domestic violence rates amongst Muslims are higher than among non Muslims?
-The there are higher incidence of rape and sexual assault among sub continental populations than the Australian population for example.

If not then you agree with the first element of my argument, which is that certain ethnicities commit higher levels of crime. Hell, you want me to be inclusive and involve myself? White people and Jewish people statistically commit more white collar crime. I would be more suspicious around those people in relation to those crimes than other ethnicities.

You are trying to imbue my comments with racist elements that were never there. Again, I ask that you cease using quotation marks to refer to comments I never made.

I'm assuming you (like everyone else in society) views crime as undesirable. Ergo if certain ethnicities are 'more prone to crime than others', they are also logically less desirable than other ethnicities. Thats a logical inference from your statement above. If 'race/ethnicity' X is predisposed to rape (as you assert some ethnicities are) how can you not draw such an inference from this?
Where did I use the term "less desirable" In what context are they less desirable?

This one is easy. You posted in a few places that it is 'natural to be wary of certain races based on skin color and appearance':
Stop quoting me to give off the appearance that I actually said that.

And yes, finally there is something we broadly agree with. That does not imply that there is a biological basis for crime, but ignoring the fact that for many reasons, race not being one of them, non-white, non Asian ethnicity commit more crime isn;'t goign to change that fact. And everyone has the right to take proper precautions to protect themselves from crime. Just as in my analogy involving women protecting themselves from men (and dont try and derail this thread), women have the right to take precautions knowing that they are statistically more likely to harmed by men. By your logic that means that women are inherently better than men with any further context.
White skin is a biological trait is it not?
I said if white people were going to Saudi Arabia and disregarding their laws then the Saudis would have every right to treat them warily.

It is rational to make a judgement that Oprah is more likely to steal a handbag based on her appearance. (her only noteable difference is that shes black).
Oh stop quoting me out of context. Do I think this shop assistant was ignorant (and yes, quite possibly racist) by refusing to serve Oprah? Of course, because she probably had an entourage and expensive clothes and jewellery on. The asistant could clearly see that she had the money and even if she didn't it was ignorant to refuse her service. But my initial post never even referred to Oprah.

Oh, and again please cut out the personal attacks. It cheapens your argument, ruins the debate, and (more importantly) it's against the SRP rules. Ive been guilty of it myself in the past. Im well aware that the Mods on this board (of which I am not one) dont like it.
Your thinly disguised racism is fooling no-one. You've provided nothing by wiki links and dictionary definitions. I'm not going to waste my time with someone who misquotes, misrepresents, ignores key posts, racial stereotypes white males and provides no proof. Cut out the high and mighty whinging, it does nothing for your "argument".

I also ask that you cut out the personal attacks thank you. I expect a more substantial reply, otherwise you will waste no more of my time. And I was genuinely looking forward to this debate too.:(

Last edited:

When you lie about comments never made and I call you out on it by calling you a liar, that is not abuse. Calling something a racist without a shred of evidence is, however, abuse.

Dont chage the goalposts mate. You called me a liar about skyping my ex. And I didnt call you a racist - I put to you the definition of racist, and invited you to explain why you are not one.

You quote Wikipedia. May as well quote your mother.When I quoted Google it was because I was joking. Your quoting of Wikipedia is just a joke.

Provide proper sources.

I did. That article is sourced. Address the contents of the article please.

The notion of "race as a social construct" became popular around 2000 when two geneticists working on the DNA project came out and stated that humans shared 99.9% of DNA. All the lefties and hippies came out and rejoiced. Their prayers were answered! Now they could do away with white people!

Youre using a naive and scientifically wrong definition of 'race'.

Perhaps we should start there first. For what its worth, I (and current scientific consensus and social sciences such as anthropology and sociology) assert that there are no 'biological' races at all, and that people (such as yourself) use the term 'race' in a very naive way.

Your linked article does nothing to establish the existence of 'biological race'. Doesnt even adress the topic in fact.

Do you disagree that:
-Black people commit more crime than white people
-That domestic violence rates amongst Muslims are higher than among non Muslims?
-The there are higher incidence of rape and sexual assault among sub continental populations than the Australian population for example.

I've never suggested that ethnic minority groups dont experience traditionally and historically higher incidences of crime.

What I am contesting is your assertion that it is caused by race and ethnicity. I am of the view that it is caused by socio economic factors, not 'racial' factors.

You are trying to imbue my comments with racist elements that were never there. Again, I ask that you cease using quotation marks to refer to comments I never made.

Bro, they were direct quotes from you from the other thread (as you requested).

Stop quoting me to give off the appearance that I actually said that.

You asked me to!

And yes, finally there is something we broadly agree with. That does not imply that there is a biological basis for crime, but ignoring the fact that for many reasons, race not being one of them, non-white, non Asian ethnicity commit more crime isn;'t goign to change that fact. And everyone has the right to take proper precautions to protect themselves from crime. Just as in my analogy involving women protecting themselves from men (and dont try and derail this thread), women have the right to take precautions knowing that they are statistically more likely to harmed by men. By your logic that means that women are inherently better than men with any further context.

Youre corellating corobboeration with causation. And you have provided zero evidence to demonstrate this causation. Zilch, zero, nada zip.

Youve yelled a lot. And ranted a bit. But I still cant see any evidence for 'racial causation of crime'.

I said if white people were going to Saudi Arabia and disregarding their laws then the Saudis would have every right to treat them warily.

Because they are white? Youre asserting that people have 'every right' to treat people differently or discriminate because of percieved biological differences!

How on earth is that NOT racist?

Last edited:
Dont chage the goalposts mate. You called me a liar about skyping my ex. And I didnt call you a racist - I put to you the definition of racist, and invited you to explain why you are not one.
So you ask me to justify why I am not racist and you don't think that is implying that I am a racist to begin with?

"Dont chage(?) the goalposts" - laughable. That what you have done every time I sliced through your weak attempt at avoiding straight logic.

I did. That article is sourced. Address the contents of the article please.
You have asserted nothing- posting a Wikipedia article is not the same as posting primary sources or similar. I'm not going to sift through a publically edited and often biased webpage to find a point you refuse to make.

Youre using a naive and scientifically wrong definition of 'race'.

Perhaps we should start there first. For what its worth, I (and currentl scientific consenses and soical sciences such as anthropology and sociology) assert that there are no biological races at all.
Every source? I just posted one regarding research at Standford University that rejects the view that race doesn't exist. Boom- you argument is dead.

I've never suggest that ethnic minority groups have traditionally and historically experienced higher incidences of crime.

You said this:

I guarantee a huge number of ethnic minority groups are overrepresented in criminal behaviour.

But your refusal to answer the question again points to an answer you don't want to provide based on the uncomfortable answer that would expose you as a hypocrite.

Then you introduced the words "historically and traditionally" to again distort the context.

\What I am contesting is your assertion that it is caused by race and ethnicity. I am of the view that it is caused by socio economic factors, not 'racial' factors.
Once again, I have never said that anything was caused by race or "racial factors". I have specific said that this is not the case. Stop misquoting me.

Bro, they were direct quotes from you from the other thread (as you requested).
I never said it is "'natural to be wary of certain races based on skin color and appearance'" That is paraphrasing by you.

You asked me to!
When I say "quoting me" I mean using quotation marks and implying I said something I did not. Again, your desperation has lead you to deliberately take me out of context.

Youre corellating corobboeration with causation. And you have provided zero evidence to demonstrate this causation. Zilch, zero, nada zip.
Bullshit. Another misquote. Again, I never said that race is THE causative factor in crime. But ethnicity often is a factor, though as you and I have BOTH pointed out, gender and economic factors are also relevant. Muslims come to Australia and hit woman because for them, the Koran is more important than Australian law. Or bash other Muslims for drinking alcohol. Even though non Muslims from the same countries are so influenced by it that they engage in the same behaviour. Their ethnicity and religion is directly contributing to their actions.

Because they are white? Youre asserting that people have 'every right' to treat people differently or discriminate because of percieved biological differences!
No. I am saying that people have every right to be alert and use whatever environmental factors at their disposal to protect themselves from crime. You've gone and twisted that around to make it seem like I believe that black people are automatically more likely to commit crime when I have, several times, stated this is not the case and that race alone is not a factor in determining crime.

How on earth is that NOT racist?
Its ethnic profiling. And its necessary. It doesn't mean that people who dont commit crimes should be arrested on questioned by police simply on the basis of race. That is racist profiling and our Crimes Act has non racial safeguards to pevent that from happening. Women and police profile men in the interests of safety and that is fine, you don't hear me complaining about that as a male. And like I said, police patrol the areas most likely to report crime. This is not racist, its proper preventative police work. And it is done on the basis of statistics which clearly demonstrate that ethnic minorities commit more crime than white/Jewish or Asian people.

I love also how you refuse to discuss my analogies (as analogies, without trying to merge them into the debate to muddy it up) because you realise how close they hit home. So you just avoid the uncomfortable bits, and the part of my posts that you don't want to admit and carry on.

Simply put, your preference for paraphrasing me rather than quoting me directly speaks volumes about your approach to this argument. Had you provided proper sources, not made silly personal attacks and actually quoted me in context I would have been happy to continue this. But your posting is circular and disingenuous and I will waste my time with you no further.

I'm not going to sift through a publically edited and often biased webpage to find a point you refuse to make.

So, you... ignore it? Convenient for your argument isnt it?

Every source? I just posted one regarding research at Standford University that rejects the view that race doesn't exist. Boom- you argument is dead.

Show me where in that article it makes the claim that biological race exists. Not 'there are biological differences between people'. I cant find any reference to it.

Seeing as you dont rate wikipedia, here is an article that emphatically claims that races are NOT biological contructs:

Races may exist in humans in a cultural sense, but biological concepts of race are needed to access their reality in a non-species-specific manner and to see if cultural categories correspond to biological categories within humans. Modern biological concepts of race can be implemented objectively with molecular genetic data through hypothesis-testing. Genetic data sets are used to see if biological races exist in humans and in our closest evolutionary relative, the chimpanzee. Using the two most commonly used biological concepts of race, chimpanzees are indeed subdivided into races but humans are not. Adaptive traits, such as skin color, have frequently been used to define races in humans, but such adaptive traits reflect the underlying environmental factor to which they are adaptive and not overall genetic differentiation, and different adaptive traits define discordant groups. There are no objective criteria for choosing one adaptive trait over another to define race. As a consequence, adaptive traits do not define races in humans. Much of the recent scientific literature on human evolution portrays human populations as separate branches on an evolutionary tree. A tree-like structure among humans has been falsified whenever tested, so this practice is scientifically indefensible. It is also socially irresponsible as these pictorial representations of human evolution have more impact on the general public than nuanced phrases in the text of a scientific paper. Humans have much genetic diversity, but the vast majority of this diversity reflects individual uniqueness and not race

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23684745

You can't convince a racist that race doesnt exist. They need race as a caregory; it helps a simple mind compartmentalise.

To be fair, we all do it. Doesnt mean it has any grounds in reality though.

I must admit that before I looked into questions of race (as a younger lad) I would have come to the same conclusions myself. Go a bit deeper, and the 'assumptions' we make just dont hold up.

Its a common problem whem discussing race issues (including crime). In the absence of a biological 'demarcation' between the 'races' any assumption you make about any particular 'race' is flawed before you get off the ground.

If race is a social construct, then it naturally assumes that we are going to experience an unfounded confirmation bias. We define a race according to arbitrary social factors that we ourselves define, then act unsurprised when we observe that 'race' exibiting those social factors that we ourselves set and in the process 'confim' our inital flawed premise.

Gender disparity is whole different kettle of fish. Gender is (at least) partly biological and partly a social constuct (such as gender roles which are socially defined). Because it has both qualities, its even more of a bastard to determine whats causing what.

Nature v nurture and all that.

Wow, Mal getting another thorough kicking on the topic of race.

Dresden redux.

Plenty of evidence re IQ differences between males and females as well ie fat tails for males.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, Mal getting another thorough kicking on the topic of race.

Please point me to the 'kicking', I thought I was doing rather well.

Plenty of evidence re IQ differences between males and females

I agree. Like I said above, there are biological and hormonal differnences between the genders. Sexual dimorphism and all that. Gender isnt a wholly social construct.

Unlike say... race is.

Back