Competitions PHANTOM DRAFT 2014 - Carlton Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

# 27 Western Bulldogs – Tyler Keitel (WA – KPF/KPD)

Height: 194cm, Weight: 86kg, DOB: 07/02/1996
Recruited from: East Perth
Range: 20-60
Profile: Strong marking key position player.

There were 2 players i really wanted to pick here but i'm banking on one of them being available at my next pick 39. With Oscar McDonald already gone, i can't take the risk on Keitel being gone before the Bullies next pick.

They need another KPP, with a preference for a KPD, which i like the look of Keitel being. With Roughead(200cm) being able to take the No1 and Zaine Cordy(192) being the versatile tall, Keitel should fit in beautifully in a future Bullies backline.

Reports are he has a good attitude and work ethic which along with his ability and versatility, make him a great team mate to have.

Last edited:

Carlton Pick 28 - Jarrod Garlett

177cm, 72kg, Midfielder

J Garlett Out, J Garlett In...This version has a better tank though and blitzed the field at the combine in the endurance tests. Also has a handy leap and I think he could play some games straight away as a small forward for us.

Knightmare's take:

23. Jarrod Garlett (WA –Mid)
Height: 177cm, Weight: 72kg, DOB: 18/08/1996
Recruited from: South Fremantle
Draft range: 15-35
Best position/role: Midfield – outside
Strengths: Speed and endurance – He has excellent pace and can really break the lines at speed and has that real willingness to take games on with ball in hand but he also has the endurance to compliment that pace. Garlett’s endurance in game allows him to make many high pace efforts throughout games and it allows him to cover a lot of ground over the course of games. Garlett is not just someone who is quick on the track but he is someone who also critically uses his pace well in game. He also in game gives excellent second and third efforts as someone who when around the ball really exerts maximum effort, providing excellent tackling energy or going in to snatch the ground balls when there is the opportunity.
Skillset – Garlett by foot is duel sided and uses it relatively well on both sides. He has very clean hands, rarely fumbling it and can pick it up cleanly of the deck and often pick it up on the move, not breaking stride and continuing to accelerate as he picks it up. His work by hand is well directed to his intended targets. He is a good finisher when within range. His footskills are silky looking and technically sound but he tends to kick at his targets rather than out in front of his targets and too often he kicks long to a contest to as opposed to a target, so he will need to learn more to lower his eyes and start finding more targets around the ground to round out his skillset.
Production – Garlett for a damaging outside runner accumulates well and it is that mix between ability to do damage when he has ball in hand with his run and the ability to find good numbers for a player of his type that will serve him well at the next level.
Scoreboard impact – Garlett does not provide heavy scoreboard impact but he has shown both through the U18 Championships and in the WA Colts, Reserves and League competitions that he is good for a goal a game and is a relatively good finisher.
Versatility – Garlett is best suited on a wing but has also shown that he can push into the front half and provide some scoreboard impact or as required push back across half back.
Ability to read the play and the flight of the ball – Garlett is an effective intercept mark and on a wing has a good feel for when to push back behind the ball as someone who has a good sense for when to go back and help out the other defenders. He then also shows very good ability to read the flight of the ball and get to the drop of the ball to take the easy intercept mark. Garlett also has a big leap on him and will fly for the ball, really attacking the ball in the air with purpose, so while he is excellent at ground level overhead he also has some ability.
Evasive ability – Garlett has a few tricks to avoid tackles. He is when on the run with ball in hand near on impossible to chase down. He can when on the move step around guys. He occasionally sidesteps guys. In addition to his running ability he also can evade tackles by doing the occasional spin move or by offering the occasional ball fake.
Weaknesses:Inside game – Garlett at this stage is an outside only player. He has no inside game at this stage and is not a threat to win much of his own ball, with his ball coming primarily outside the contest.
Strength – Garlett at this stage is lightly built and can get pushed off the ball and will accordingly need to put on some further muscle without losing his running ability.
Linkup ability – Garlett on the outside does not take many marks in space and is also not a reliable kick to a target at this stage as someone who feels like he lacks predictability to his teammates and tends too often with his kicks to kick long to a contest rather than to a target up the field. What I expect will improve:I expect Garlett to largely improve at what he does and add some but not a whole lot of muscle to his frame as someone who most critically needs to remain a linebreaker first.
Who he can become?Garlett has a feel not unlike Travis Varcoe as that similar outside linebreaker who can at times really tear games apart with his speed.
When will he be ready to play?Garlett may receive a taste at AFL level in season one but I expect more likely in season two or three that he establishes himself as a regular.
How to best utilise him?Garlett is best utilised as a linebreaker on a wing.
Interpretation of his numbers:
His numbers through the U18 Championships, WA Colts and WA Reserves competitions have been strong. At WAFL League level he has only found limited ball to this point. At all levels he averages a goal a game, finding other than at WAFL League level good numbers, his tackling numbers are good and his disposal efficiency while on the low side for an outside player, given the damage he looks to do with his touches is fine.

#23 - GWS

Oscar McDonald

Position: Key defender/forward
Height: 196 cm, Weight: 88 kg, DOB: 18/03/1996
Club: North Ballarat

Hard to resist a couple of mids and speedsters still available but we must sure up our KPD stocks.
Oscar McDonald is one of the better key defenders in this draft. He is tall, athletic, and also picks off numerous forward 50 entries with his tremendous ability to take intercept marks and rebound strongly.
Oscar is the younger brother of Melbourne’s Tom McDonald – is extremely versatile as a defender, and, unlike most key defenders, he loves to back himself and use the ball by foot. He hits the ball flat and hard, and has a really nice turn of foot, being deceptively quick over his first few steps. .
Oscar is a very smart footballer, led the TAC Cup competition for contested marks this year and took home the coaches award in the TAC Cup.
Not necessarily the fanciest of players but he does get the job done as for my viewing of him taking Peter Wright apart in the finals.

Nice pick. Comes from great family and is very intelligent. Must admit having seen both McDonald boys from a very young age (Oscar was playing under 14's at age 11 at Edenhope-Apsley) I wasn't convinced they would make it. Late bloomers I think. Also prioritised other sports early doors.

Coaches will love this kid. He's a sponge.

Nice pick. Comes from great family and is very intelligent. Must admit having seen both McDonald boys from a very young age (Oscar was playing under 14's at age 11 at Edenhope-Apsley) I wasn't convinced they would make it. Late bloomers I think. Also prioritised other sports early doors.

Coaches will love this kid. He's a sponge.

He was going to the Bullies at 27 if Harks at GWS didn't select him. Like Darcy Gardiner last year, McDonald beat nearly all the Gun forwards 1 on 1 this year in the TAC.

#29 Gold Coast

Clem Smith

Position: Small Defender
Height: 177 cm, Weight: 67 kg, DOB: 3/2/1996
Club: Perth

Already picked up two strong quality midfielders and now that the quality of KPD's are all but gone it seems I'm going to have to pick who suits GC best. I've spoken to a few GC supporters that said they would be stoked with Smith at pick 29. He's fast, powerful and compact player. He's compared readily to Bryon Pickett as a hard nut with ability to break the lines. Could fill a role down back as a lock down small back pocket and use his pace and flare the other way. Opted to choose him over the remaining highly rated mids as I feel with the addition of the Laverde and Blakely that department in the Suns is in good hands.

#30 Alex Neal-Bullen
The top clearance mid at the U/18 champs, and a real goer, has the versatility to play half-back or forward and can get himself into dangerous positions. I think he's an unfashionable sort of player who is good enough for AFL but will never win many plaudits as he primarily does the unglamorous stuff

Helps to start filling in the next generation midfield. The Pies went trading for mids, but after the first two tall picks this feels like a safe option for them

31. Hawthorn- Nathan Drummond (VIC – Mid)
Height: 181cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 19/01/1995
Recruited from: Murray Bushrangers

Slightly older than his counterparts in this years draft, Nathan is a hard, explosive midfielder, that really came on our radar after the draft combine. Heres his standout results:
3km time trial - 5th place (9.59)
Beep test - 3rd place
Kicking test - equal 4th - 27/30
Clean hands test - equal 1st - 26/30
Goalkicking test - equal 3rd - 25/30
Repeat sprint results - 2nd (behind Nakia Cockatoo)
Jumping - 3rd and 5th respectively
He's got the skills, he's got the endurance, he's got the aggression, however we are yet to see it all come together seamlessly on the field, with decision making an issue we will look to help him develop. We may be deemed to be reaching here, but he cant be worse than our pick in the 30's last season.

FlowersByIrene - You're up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

31. Hawthorn- Nathan Drummond (VIC – Mid)
Height: 181cm, Weight: 85kg, DOB: 19/01/1995
Recruited from: Murray Bushrangers

Slightly older than his counterparts in this years draft, Nathan is a hard, explosive midfielder, that really came on our radar after the draft combine. Heres his standout results:
3km time trial - 5th place (9.59)
Beep test - 3rd place
Kicking test - equal 4th - 27/30
Clean hands test - equal 1st - 26/30
Goalkicking test - equal 3rd - 25/30
Repeat sprint results - 2nd (behind Nakia Cockatoo)
Jumping - 3rd and 5th respectively
He's got the skills, he's got the endurance, he's got the aggression, however we are yet to see it all come together seamlessly on the field, with decision making an issue we will look to help him develop. We may be deemed to be reaching here, but he cant be worse than our pick in the 30's last season.

FlowersByIrene - You're up

I think it's safe to say this year's 30something Hawk will be somewhere in between their last 2 for usefulness.:D

Brad Hill - this years - Dayle

West Coast egales with their second round pick select...

#32 Peter Bampton
(SA - Mid) Height:182cm, Weight: 83kg, DOB: 15/04/1996
Recruited from: Norwood

Okay, okay okay, I know what you are thinking - a tall and an inside mid - probably two players not high on the draft lists at the Coasters. But I believe you cann't blindly look for a single trait, and the introduction of these two players will allow for other players to change roles. This Kid Peter Bampton is an inside midfield machine, think Priddis but with a higher disposal efficiency, his handballs hit targets and when he's in space, his kicking isn't actually deplorable like Priddis's. In my mind this kid is the future Priddis, but a better version. He's got a knack of getting in there and earning a free kick so he'll fit in well at West Coast. He is limited on the outside, but i'm hopign that a player like this can release Selwood and Shuey to more outside roles, Let Priddis and Bampton do the inside grudge work and those players can get on the outside. I will still need to pick up a wingman SOMEWHERE in this draft but we'll see.

Connor Blakely, Pickett, Garlett, Smith and a few other West Aussies gone meant I had to go best available and take Bampton here.

My key points

1. Mature Player - has a decent sized body and has played a lot of SANFL i love players who can come in and contribute and he fits that box
2. Inside machine - how can you turn down an inside gun, unlike an otuside player there will always be a chance for this kid to shine and I think he will.
3. SA prospect, hopefully him and Durdin are mates and will stick together - fingers crossed.

http://boundforglorynews.com/2014-draft-profile-peter-bampton/

Knightmare's take

Best position/role: Midfield – on the ball.

Strengths:
Inside game – Bampton’s point of difference is his inside game. He is a terrific inside extractor as someone who consistently wins the contested ball and then gives it off to outside runners by hand. He is clean by hand and has the composure inside to find his targets and the best targets inside the contest. He goes in harder than anyone else into the contest showing real aggression and a hard attack on the ball and will consistently win the ground balls. He does all the off the ball work delivering hard bumps and shepherding as applicable. When he tackles guys, he really tackles them with ferocity. He has the strength over the ball where he will not get knocked off it showing the strength to beat more mature competition to the contested ball.
Aggression – Bampton consistently demonstrates a hard edge inside the contest and really attacks every contest with a real hard intent to win the footy, he buries guys in his tackles and will deliver hard bumps around the contest.
Immediate impact – Having performed and performed exceptionally well against men at SANFL league level in 2013 and early 2014 it can reasonably be expected that Bampton can play regular senior AFL games from season one.
Strength – Has good strength in the contest really barrelling through at force and has good AFL weight already on his frame at 83kg.
Endurance – Runs all day and gets to every contest, runs a 15+ beep.
Off the ball work – Bampton frequently when involved inside the contest will give it off by hand and then look to put in a hard bump on opposition players to let them know that he is there. He is also willing to bump around the field and shepherd as appropriate.
Ability to draw free kicks - Bampton has shown a real knack for drawing free kicks as someone who can draw high tackles and by going in lower and harder than others into the contest.
Skillset – By hand Bampton is terrific and is an excellent inside extractor finding the outside runners and in congestion choosing the best option consistently, showing real composure with ball in hand and summing up his options well. By foot while not overly penetrating or damaging he is a mostly safe but efficient kick who shows a willingness to lower his eyes and find the best targets. By foot he is also a relatively good kick into the forward 50 as someone who for leading targets will kick it out in front of them to lead onto. By hand and foot whether in space or congestion Bampton makes the right decisions and it all shows with his excellent disposal efficiency at SANFL league level. Bampton has clean hands and rarely fumbles.

Weaknesses:
Outside game – Bampton while an efficient user of the footy is not likely to do much damage outside the contest as not an overly penetrating kick or a threat to break the lines. He also does not find a whole lot of outside ball as a genuine inside player at this stage doing his best work and finding most of his footy inside at this point. He will need to learn where to run and more frequently find the open spaces to present as more of an option around the ground.
Athleticism – As an athlete while Bampton gets by and moves sufficiently well to adjust seamlessly to play at the next level he is not a threat to break the lines, sidestep guys or outleap anyone in game.
Ability forward of centre – Bampton can occasionally sneak forward and hit the scoreboard but at this stage it is not a feature of his game.

What I expect will improve:
I expect the natural improvement of Bampton’s inside game to continue and to become more and more dominant. I also anticipate Bampton makes going forward and having an impact a more prominent component to his game. While he likely never becomes overly proficient outside the contest I anticipate Bampton will with time begin to find more outside ball. Who he can become?I see Bampton developing into a player of similar style and quality to Tom Liberatore as that hard but high level contested ball winner. When will he be ready to play?Bampton is ready to play and play well from his first season and if healthy he is capable of debuting in round one if the opportunity is there given his proven performance over the past two seasons at SANFL League level. How to best utilise him?Bampton is best utilised as an on the ball through the midfield.

Interpretation of his numbers:
SANFL League numbers these past couple of seasons through the midfield have been outstanding. His contested ball winning numbers are excellent. His disposal efficiency is good. He has shown that he can draw free kicks to a high standard. And he has shown that he can consistently win the contested ball against strong competition and be among the dominant midfielders on the ground which are all signs suggesting he can play right away.

Last edited:
PICK 35- ADELAIDE Toby McLean

Position: Forward/midfielder
Height: 179 cm, Weight: 70 kg, DOB: 31/01/1996
Club: Oakleigh Chargers
Projected draft range: 40-rookie
Plays like: Jamie Elliott

Toby McLean gives you a bit of everything, and is probably the closest player to Collingwood’s Jamie Elliott. He has a silky sidestep that sucks in opponents that allows him to zip past, while also having that huge leap and contested mark that defies his size. McLean is best known for his hangers that he takes constantly at the Chargers. He is an excitement machine who is crafty and dangerous around goal, kicking goals with consummate ease. He has pace, a good goose step, sells candy and darts through congestion, whilst also being able to stand up in tackles to kick miraculous over-the-shoulder goals. His strengths comes down to his sheer balance. He’s quite strong on both sides of his body, and stands up in tackles due to his low centre of gravity. He is a nightmare for defenders, because he simply gets around them like they’re witches hats. He also has exceptional agility, poise and vision which enable him to find angles others don’t see. His move to the midfield late in the TAC Cup season resulted in him averaging 30 disposals per game; McLean has an amazing back story.

Pick #36, North Melbourne:

Touk Miller

Position: Midfielder
Height: 177 cm, Weight: 80 kg, DOB: 22/02/1996
Club: Calder Cannons
Projected draft range: 15-30
Plays like: Dion Prestia

First watched Touk Miller play as a junior at Maribyrnong Park, while waiting for one of my own matches. He was exceptional, so I have sort of followed his progress up the ranks quite keenly.

Miller is a capable leader, having captained VM at the championships. Plays a predominantly contested ball game, however, he can also hit the scoreboard when his team requires it, as shown in the TAC cup grand final. He's the sort of player that lifts teammates around him with his determination to win contests and tackle with intent.

This is an extract from the Phantom Draft board:

The Vic Metro captain had a stellar TAC Cup campaign this year, winning praise for the way he goes about his football: however, he’s becoming increasingly harder to read as the draft draws nearer. Miller is a predominantly inside midfielder whose bread and butter is his clearance work and his ability to win the contested ball. This season, Miller has won plaudits for the inroads he’s made on his outside game, with scouts highlighting his explosiveness and goal-kicking ability. It’s second nature for Miller to throw himself at the football and dish out a slick handball to his midfielders to really help break the stoppages open. Miller is incredibly physical and aggressive, hunting the ball viciously, and is often dirty with himself if he doesn’t stick a tackle. Given his core strength, he’s rarely brought to ground, and he instinctively raises his arms with the ball in hand to avoid being disposed. He is such a smart footballer who bleeds for the jumper he wears, and is a born leader who has shown on numerous occasions that he can lead from the front.

Last edited:
Pick 37 - Sydney - Tom Wilkinson

As much as I love Petracca, the game I watched in WA this kid played a slightly better game. He has a monster tank, very quick and nice kicking skills.
Was not completely scared of a contest as well. Will provide great link up work.

Thought it was worth getting this kids name out and about on these boards.

http://boundforglorynews.com/draft-profile-tom-wilkinson/
Tom Wilkinson (Sandringham Dragons)

Position: Midfielder/forward
Height: 182 cm
Weight: 78 kg
Player comparison: Andrew Gaff
Strengths: Endurance, speed, goalkicking, ball winning, awareness, stoppages
Weaknesses: Light frame

16.6: that’s the beep test Hawthorn draftee Billy Hartung ran to shatter the all-time draft combine record last year.

16.8: that’s what current Sandringham Dragon Tom Wilkinson ran during the pre-season beep test testing earlier in January, and that figure is tipped to have improved.

Unlike Hartung, Wilkinson wasn’t invited to the National Draft Combine in initial invitations. But the door has been left wide open for him to force selectors’ hands with the TAC Cup finals approaching, so that he can show the world what he’s got, and do it at the national testing.

Wilkinson has done just that, with two best on ground performances in the first two finals. Against Murray, he kicked two goals, gathered 23 possessions, had 10 handball receives and eight tackles. He followed that up with 1.1 against the Rebels, as well as 26 disposals, 11 handball receives, five marks and four tackles.

But to label Wilkinson as just a runner would be wrong. Despite his endurance, he is a footballer first and an athlete second. Blessed with speed and vision in close that allows him to excel at stoppages, Wilkinson is a goal-kicking midfielder and has kicked 12 goals so far from his seven appearances this year.

During the National Championships, Wilkinson really made his mark on a national stage. He collected 30 possessions, had six inside 50s, took seven marks and had six clearances for Vic Metro against Western Australia, winning best on ground honours. To put that into perspective, he did that in front of likely first-round talents Christian Petracca, Paul Ahern, Corey Ellis, Touk Miller and Angus Brayshaw.

Big numbers aren’t something that Wilkinson is a stranger to. He is a high-volume accumulator, and averages 21 disposals this year for Sandringham, along with almost five marks per game, while averaging 3.2 tackles, all of which figure in the top bracket in the TAC Cup. He also features in the top one per cent in the TAC Cup competition for handball receives (7.7), which highlights his willingness to spread, provide an option and his capacity to run and become a damaging option and does it all at a disposal efficiency of 72 per cent.

Wilkinson also has that one attribute clubs are after: speed. He has explosiveness, and runs a 20-metre sprint in under three seconds. A speedster that is pure silk, he makes good decisions with the ball in hand, but his work-ethic, gut-running and efficient link up play are favoured highly by draft experts.

So why isn’t Wilkinson a household name? There’s nothing flashy about him, and that’s simply what it comes down to.

He is simply vanilla in comparison to others. He flies under the radar because it’s easy to gravitate towards the top-end talents that have attended AIS camps, international tours and spent prolonged periods of time in a Vic Metro jumper.

Even in 2013, amongst the likes of Christian Salem, Nathan Freeman, Josh Kelly, Zach Merrett and Tom Langdon, Wilkinson still managed to average 15 disposals playing off a forward flank, kicking 10 goals from seven bottom-age appearances, not looking out of place one bit.

While recruiters rave about the likes of Jayden Laverde or Paul Ahern, Wilkinson is your standard blue-collar midfielder who is equally as adept inside as he is out, and doesn’t shy away from the hard ball.

At a fraction under 80 kilograms, Wilkinson is agile, elusive and his vision and awareness in traffic along with his decision making make him a real stand out. He has a neat skill set without being notably flash, and he doesn’t shy away from the hard ball, averaging at least one free for in each game he’s played.

And while he notches up good numbers among more fancied team-mates, including Brayshaw, Brayden Maynard, Ed Vickers-Willis along with ball getters Taylor Grace, Tyler Roos and Josh Clayton, Wilkinson is continuously standing up week in, week out.

During that period as a forward flanker, his endeavor and defensive pressure was evident, averaging 5.5 tackles per game. But his move to the midfield this year has been profound, being able to show his huge endurance, strong hands and contested ball winning abilities, for which he is now copping attention.

Midfielders who can kick goals are at the forefront of what clubs are after. And while the likes of Robbie Gray and Liam Shiels are better examples of players who’ve gone on to enjoy successful AFL careers despite not being invited to the combine, Wilkinson is going to force himself on to an AFL list one way or another.

TerryWallet

Remove this Banner Ad

Back