Player Watch Pick #7 (2012) - Ollie Wines

Remove this Banner Ad

Because it was voted on by the morons in the public, not the AA selectors or ex players.

Mea Culpa to the moron public it was the morons at the AFL Media Association

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2014-09-16/under23-all-australian-team-port

AFL Media reporters couldn't find a spot for Ollie Wines in their best 22 players under the age of 23, but Chad Wingard managed to make a forward pocket.

Wines has played every game for the Power in 2013 and 2014 and has starred in a number of big games - including finals.

Tim Watson was asked about Ollie's omission on the weekend and he didn't even know there was such a team picked. And he's in the media. Cred, yo.

I'll forgive Sutcliffe since he was there for a specific role, but Guthrie was a laughable selection. He'd honestly struggle to make our best 22. Would probably take Moore's spot, but that's about it.

The hype Geelong supporters have around Guthrie makes him one of my least favourite players in the AFL. They talk about him like he's going to step up and be just as good as the slew of champions that have either recently retired or are just about to. There is nothing about the way he plays that shows that at all.

Motlop is a gun. Duncan will be a very good player. Guthrie is not going to keep Geelong at the top of the table.

The hype Geelong supporters have around Guthrie makes him one of my least favourite players in the AFL. They talk about him like he's going to step up and be just as good as the slew of champions that have either recently retired or are just about to. There is nothing about the way he plays that shows that at all.
Yep, Geelong has already started to show that those 'next generation champions' suddenly don't look so good as the older players hit 30 or retire. I expect the same for some of the Hawks younger players that their fans are saying will slot straight in from next year. With the Hawks fleet of 6 or 7 30+ players in their top 22 I expect they'll start trending down next year (although still top 4). Ollie isn't being propped up by a bunch of 30ish year olds taking the heat, allowing him to look good. He is the extractor where you can't hide behind the class of others.

That snap from the pocket where he turned his body at the last second to take some off the angle instead of having to hook it more. Thinking like that in a final at 19 equals awesomeness at an elite level

That snap from the pocket where he turned his body at the last second to take some off the angle instead of having to hook it more. Thinking like that in a final at 19 equals awesomeness at an elite level
It was almost identical to the game breaking snap against Collingwood in last years final, Ollie is a clutch big game player which makes it even harder to digest that an outside squib like Ellis made the best 22 under 23 team ahead of our raging bull.

Tim Watson was asked about Ollie's omission on the weekend and he didn't even know there was such a team picked. And he's in the media. Cred, yo.

I guess an under 22 team is pretty dumb really. where's the u23 team? u24 team? team of 27 year olds? It's just a way for supporters of crappy teams to feel good about their youngsters. we don't need that with Ollie. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess an under 22 team is pretty dumb really. where's the u23 team? u24 team? team of 27 year olds? It's just a way for supporters of crappy teams to feel good about their youngsters. we don't need that with Ollie. :D

I did an u23s only team for my Dream Team one year... the season did not go well for me.

Ollie wins the Norm Smith and says something like, I missed out on the U/23 team but hopefully I make the U/20 team next week, would be a great piss take.

his middle name should be Portelaide.
LukeDarcysmall.jpg

The man with the big thighs was in Maryland earlier this morning watching the Redskins v the Seahawks - if I do it the yanking way its the away team first ie Seahawks v Redskins.

upload_2014-10-7_19-58-3.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back