Picola & District NW 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also with all this talk and he said she said stuff about Mathouras facilities why cant the league tell us what the other issues are? Would sure clear up some of the public argument. If the light poles issue can be made public why cant the others? Would make the league look more credibly in this issue.

Whilst some are knocking Mathoura due to the view of showcasing our league on its big day surely it must be said that whilst Yarroweyah may tick all the boxes from a safety point of view its facilities sure aint pretty to look at!

Finally the chat about Tocs surface- when we played there through the year I would have to say its playing surface would be in the bottom half of all the clubs in the league. That strange long straight wing boundary is a bit bizarre too.

Also with all this talk and he said she said stuff about Mathouras facilities why cant the league tell us what the other issues are? Would sure clear up some of the public argument. If the light poles issue can be made public why cant the others? Would make the league look more credibly in this issue.

Whilst some are knocking Mathoura due to the view of showcasing our league on its big day surely it must be said that whilst Yarroweyah may tick all the boxes from a safety point of view its facilities sure aint pretty to look at!

Finally the chat about Tocs surface- when we played there through the year I would have to say its playing surface would be in the bottom half of all the clubs in the league. That strange long straight wing boundary is a bit bizarre too.
The league never brought the light posts to the general publics attention z

Im not saying I agree or dis-agree with the Boards Decision to move the Grand Final. I simply dont have all the information to form an opinion. I do feel sorry for Tim and the committee at Mathoura, I know we would be devastated if it happened to us.

Having said that Mathoura FC need to remember that its the clubs, including them, who nominate and elect the board.

MFC also need to remember if the point of the intended legal action against the PDFNL is for financial restitution that, if successful, essentially they will be taking money away from 16 other clubs in the league. There is no magic pot of money, all clubs are equal stakeholders in the league, so if Murray Shire/MFC sue the league it will come straight out of the dividend usually paid back to clubs at the end of the season. How will that sit with other clubs?

Last edited:

If the board can't give a reason to how Mathoura have not met the requirements.. if its not the lights what is it?? They will just keep digging themselves a deeper hole and nothing good will come of it..

Deni ground was hard as a rock, didn't really see the need to paint it. Agree with big kev play it at toc, great ground. Best for players and spectators alole

See Berrigan beat Toc today in a close encounter,,,, good win. Anyone see the game?
Don't think they can handle Strathy next week though.

Ive watched Berrigan the last 2 weeks and they are playing with great passion and pride at the moment. Their pressure against Blighty was outstanding and yesterday their better players really stood up. Harley Middleton is maturing into a very good player.
On paper you would assume Strathy by 6 or 7 goals but finals are a different story and Berrigan have a good recent history of winning finals when they are the under dogs. I still say Strathy but I think it will be a closer contest than people think. Expect Berrigan to come out very hard and pressure Strathy physically.

See Berrigan beat Toc today in a close encounter,,,, good win. Anyone see the game?
Don't think they can handle Strathy next week though.

Was great to watch , have won two finals and have struggled with depth due to injury. Really good effort.

Very large crowd too

Was great to watch , have won two finals and have struggled with depth due to injury. Really good effort.

Very large crowd too

Anything can happen in PDFNL finals seen the unlikely happen plenty of times.

Yep generally get good crowds too.

Out of interest though why are you so interested in where the picola league gf is played?
Don't own a business in Toc do you?

Anything can happen in PDFNL finals seen the unlikely happen plenty of times.

Yep generally get good crowds too.

Out of interest though why are you so interested in where the picola league gf is played?
Don't own a business in Toc do you?

Don't care really , they do things odd in that league. Creates a history same venue u know that your aiming to play at that place in the last game of the year. Best ground to view footy from and when prepared well beat surface.

Don't care really , they do things odd in that league. Creates a history same venue u know that your aiming to play at that place in the last game of the year. Best ground to view footy from and when prepared well beat surface.

I'll agree with the concept that for that last game of the year people generally want the best facilities be it ground, netball court, change rooms, viewing area available.

Most of our grounds in the NW are pretty good actually. Part of the rotation is to help those needing upgrades to have our roster available to help secure shire funding etc to get things up to a standard befitting a GF. So then all our grounds are of a high standard. Some shires are far more accommodating than others unfortunately.
Also, just say I were to own for arguments sake say a butcher shop in town there is the high likelihood that I could be one of those businesses to profit from the grand final coming into town as easier for catering that it be a local I would assume. Of course there would be other businesses as well that would be keen on the business.
Part of the rotation of finals is to share that around to as many businesses that sponsor our individual clubs as we can. Of course that's only part of the reason there are many other advantages to the rotation system which outweigh the history element.
You may call it odd I call it "sharing the love".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would love to see Berrigan get up over Strathy this weekend, setting up another Saints vs Demons granny.

It would be some game if they got up but Strathy can't take them lightly their intensity worried toc out of many contests on the weekend and that's what finals footy is all about. If they can keep Evans quiet & keep Crestani to only a couple will put some pressure on Downie etc to kick a bag but the Saints will need a game breaker to kick 5-6 whether that's Crawf, Middleton or Russell time will tell. Hopefully it's less than a goal margin at full time.

It would be some game if they got up but Strathy can't take them lightly their intensity worried toc out of many contests on the weekend and that's what finals footy is all about. If they can keep Evans quiet & keep Crestani to only a couple will put some pressure on Downie etc to kick a bag but the Saints will need a game breaker to kick 5-6 whether that's Crawf, Middleton or Russell time will tell. Hopefully it's less than a goal margin at full time.
Both downies will b need to be stopped

I'll agree with the concept that for that last game of the year people generally want the best facilities be it ground, netball court, change rooms, viewing area available.

Most of our grounds in the NW are pretty good actually. Part of the rotation is to help those needing upgrades to have our roster available to help secure shire funding etc to get things up to a standard befitting a GF. So then all our grounds are of a high standard. Some shires are far more accommodating than others unfortunately.
Also, just say I were to own for arguments sake say a butcher shop in town there is the high likelihood that I could be one of those businesses to profit from the grand final coming into town as easier for catering that it be a local I would assume. Of course there would be other businesses as well that would be keen on the business.
Part of the rotation of finals is to share that around to as many businesses that sponsor our individual clubs as we can. Of course that's only part of the reason there are many other advantages to the rotation system which outweigh the history element.
You may call it odd I call it "sharing the love".

Perhaps the problem with Mathoura is that all the funding goes to Moama...........now they want to take legal action which on something which is their overthought........

Perhaps the problem with Mathoura is that all the funding goes to Moama...........now they want to take legal action which on something which is their overthought........

And the Circus continues. I cant see why your would take the governing body to court. They are elected by the clubs to represent all clubs. If you don't like their decisions dont re elect them the next year. I think the last thing you would do is take legal action against a decision they made, especially considering these decisions are voted on by club delegates. A week out from the biggest day of the year and things are still in the air. The only thing this fiasco is doing is bringing negativity towards our league.

News Report on MMG this morning:

Mathoura Football Netball Club to front court on Thursday

The Mathoura Football Netball Club is attempting to place an injunction on the Picola and District Football Netball League north-west grand final.
TYLA HARRINGTON August 26, 2014 3:45am
A hearing has been scheduled with Melbourne Magistrates’ Court by the Mathoura Football and Netball Club this Thursday.
The club is attempting to place an injunction on the Picola and District Football Netball League north-west grand final.
The league made the decision to move the event to Yarroweyah after a long running debate about whether Mathoura’s grounds were up to scratch.
Immediately after the decision, the Mathoura club and Murray Shire Council announced they would pursue legal action to keep the September 6 event at Mathoura.
Although both parties are restricted in talking about the application, the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court website lists the nature of complaint as ‘equitable relief’.
It is defined as a ‘‘court-granted remedy that requires a party to refrain from performing a particular act’’.
It is understood if the application is passed, a court hearing date will be set.
Murray Shire Mayor Tom Weyrich, who will attend the court hearing, says he is determined to see the grand final returned to Mathoura.
He believes there is still enough time to have the recent decision to move the grand final reversed.
‘‘I just can’t understand why the league would want to punish the good people of Mathoura,’’ he said.
Cr Weyrich said he can see ‘‘no reason’’ why the grand final cannot be held in Mathoura.
The placement of two light poles around the netball courts is the only issue with the ground that that been made public.
PDFL president Shane Railton maintains the light poles are not the sole issue underlying the dispute, but will not go into detail about the other items.
‘‘Murray Shire has bent over backwards to accommodate the league,’’ Cr Weyrich said.
‘‘We’ve spent $90,000 in the last 12 months at the reserve. They say the light poles are too close to the court but as I am aware there are a lot of courts that do not comply.
‘‘I believe we need to have a ‘can do’ attitude not a ‘can’t do’ attitude.
‘‘We were told that the ground wasn’t up to scratch, there was an audit, and there were changes made.’’
Mr Railton told the Pastoral Times last week that the league ‘‘won’t be going back on that decision’’.
But Cr Weyrich says it is the right thing to do.
‘‘The Murray Shire general manager (Margot Stork) has spent days trying to rectify this or come up with a solution,’’ he said.
‘‘These people (the league decision makers) are playing with fire and they are about to be burnt.
‘‘Everyone is going to walk out with a black eye here and there’s no reason for any of this to happen.
‘‘He (Mr Railton) has said he doesn’t understand why Murray Shire is getting involved in the dispute, only to later say Moira Shire has already started works on their grounds and have agreed to meet all wishes.
‘‘It has to be one or the other.’’

News Report on MMG this morning:

Mathoura Football Netball Club to front court on Thursday

The Mathoura Football Netball Club is attempting to place an injunction on the Picola and District Football Netball League north-west grand final.
TYLA HARRINGTON August 26, 2014 3:45am
A hearing has been scheduled with Melbourne Magistrates’ Court by the Mathoura Football and Netball Club this Thursday.
The club is attempting to place an injunction on the Picola and District Football Netball League north-west grand final.
The league made the decision to move the event to Yarroweyah after a long running debate about whether Mathoura’s grounds were up to scratch.
Immediately after the decision, the Mathoura club and Murray Shire Council announced they would pursue legal action to keep the September 6 event at Mathoura.
Although both parties are restricted in talking about the application, the Melbourne Magistrates’ Court website lists the nature of complaint as ‘equitable relief’.
It is defined as a ‘‘court-granted remedy that requires a party to refrain from performing a particular act’’.
It is understood if the application is passed, a court hearing date will be set.
Murray Shire Mayor Tom Weyrich, who will attend the court hearing, says he is determined to see the grand final returned to Mathoura.
He believes there is still enough time to have the recent decision to move the grand final reversed.
‘‘I just can’t understand why the league would want to punish the good people of Mathoura,’’ he said.
Cr Weyrich said he can see ‘‘no reason’’ why the grand final cannot be held in Mathoura.
The placement of two light poles around the netball courts is the only issue with the ground that that been made public.
PDFL president Shane Railton maintains the light poles are not the sole issue underlying the dispute, but will not go into detail about the other items.
‘‘Murray Shire has bent over backwards to accommodate the league,’’ Cr Weyrich said.
‘‘We’ve spent $90,000 in the last 12 months at the reserve. They say the light poles are too close to the court but as I am aware there are a lot of courts that do not comply.
‘‘I believe we need to have a ‘can do’ attitude not a ‘can’t do’ attitude.
‘‘We were told that the ground wasn’t up to scratch, there was an audit, and there were changes made.’’
Mr Railton told the Pastoral Times last week that the league ‘‘won’t be going back on that decision’’.
But Cr Weyrich says it is the right thing to do.
‘‘The Murray Shire general manager (Margot Stork) has spent days trying to rectify this or come up with a solution,’’ he said.
‘‘These people (the league decision makers) are playing with fire and they are about to be burnt.
‘‘Everyone is going to walk out with a black eye here and there’s no reason for any of this to happen.
‘‘He (Mr Railton) has said he doesn’t understand why Murray Shire is getting involved in the dispute, only to later say Moira Shire has already started works on their grounds and have agreed to meet all wishes.
‘‘It has to be one or the other.’’

Lol

Who knows. The league tried to
Share this around and by doing so hopefully get shires to get club facilities improved by bringing such a big event in. Big sin that is. Now the shire is spending at a guess more on legal fees than it would have taken to move the lights. Unwise by Mathoura not to back the league and get the lights moved. All they had to do was tell weyrich we will host it in another shire and still get the cash for the club. Instead they backed the shire.All my own opinion but wasting what will be thousands of dollars that could go to infrastructure on legal costs is an absolute waste.

I have nothing at all against Mathaz my grand nephew started his footy career there this year.

I personally wanted them to come out of this with better facilities and a good grab of catering money to help them.

Margot stork whilst I am no solicitor the solution was simple. Move the lights don't waste money on legal fees and cause angst amongst the clubs. Not that hard surely.

Come on Mathaz get your act together and stop jumping at shadows the league was trying to help you. Why can't you see that?

You should have screwed every last cent you could out of the shire. You probably still can. You won't get another chance like this.

This board brought the grand final to Mathaz for the first time ever. Remember that.

A can do attitude is "we can move the lights and do anything else asked of us. If we can't we will host it elsewhere and be grateful for the cash".

It's not no we won't and if you insist, we will take you to court.

I'm with you Mac all it's doing is making the league look bad. Something neither of us would be happy with I'm sure. I'm gutted to be honest. You know what I'm like Mac.

After this we may well be looking for a whole new board who would want to
Put up with this nonsense.

I

Who knows. The league tried to
Share this around and by doing so hopefully get shires to get club facilities improved by bringing such a big event in. Big sin that is. Now the shire is spending at a guess more on legal fees than it would have taken to move the lights. Unwise by Mathoura not to back the league and get the lights moved. All they had to do was tell weyrich we will host it in another shire and still get the cash for the club. Instead they backed the shire.All my own opinion but wasting what will be thousands of dollars that could go to infrastructure on legal costs is an absolute waste.

I have nothing at all against Mathaz my grand nephew started his footy career there this year.

I personally wanted them to come out of this with better facilities and a good grab of catering money to help them.

Margot stork whilst I am no solicitor the solution was simple. Move the lights don't waste money on legal fees and cause angst amongst the clubs. Not that hard surely.

Come on Mathaz get your act together and stop jumping at shadows the league was trying to help you. Why can't you see that?

You should have screwed every last cent you could out of the shire. You probably still can. You won't get another chance like this.

This board brought the grand final to Mathaz for the first time ever. Remember that.

A can do attitude is "we can move the lights and do anything else asked of us. If we can't we will host it elsewhere and be grateful for the cash".

It's not no we won't and if you insist, we will take you to court.

I'm with you Mac all it's doing is making the league look bad. Something neither of us would be happy with I'm sure. I'm gutted to be honest. You know what I'm like Mac.

After this we may well be looking for a whole new board who would want to
Put up with this nonsense.

I
Its comments like these that aren't helping but only trying to inflame the situation. The league on nearly every instance has stated that the light poles aren't the only issue, so why make out yet again it was as simple as moving the light poles. Now its in court the league nor Mathoura are going to let out what they previously wouldn't as to the other reasons.

Also could you stop making comments about Mathoura hosting the grand final elsewhere. As you love to point out peoples hidden vested interests to discredit their comments input to the conversation.

IMO and it prob doesn't count because I'm a Mathoura person as it shouldn't count for out side opinions because they prob dislike Mathoura and we all only know half of the truth but IMO the board should of been happy with vna statement saying poles are safe with padding on them, after all it wasn't actually on the first audit only after that has this come out? secondly and Charles Mac made a statement to me a few yrs ago the grand final should be held at Mathoura best surface all yr correct Charles at a final held at Mathoura? 3rd put your moral compass on this situation, should the board be entering legals about this with the leagues money? Padding is ok after all it's vna insurance that covers netball not our league yea? Everyone is entitled to an opinion but sometimes people like to take pot shots, but what's morally right? Yes the shire put $90,000 odd into facility's and money well spent our visitors are now in our newer home rooms, old change rooms have been done up all wiring is now hidden from danger courts patched and resealed safety exit door installed at the back of clubrooms endless time on volunteers shoulders morally people need to think of them aswell, that's just my opinion and it prob shouldn't count as I'm a loyal passionate supporter but put your moral compass on this situation everyone. The town got slapped in the face when our forests changed hands now it's been slapped again as a community why would you want this final to be taken from you? Sometimes little towns don't come back from these sort of encounters, the old saying you can only kick a dog for so long before it will role over.

I will be clear I don't want it to go elsewhere if at all possible.

But wouldn't getting the posts moved be an improvement? All I'm saying is use your muscle and get that done and out of the way while you can get the money.

Yes I know about the visitors rooms and that's fantastic but tell me would that have got funded without the grand final coming in.

I'm not taking a pot shot I am trying to encourage you to get more done now while you have the chance.

Please stop assuming I am against you when I'm not.

The league has to be consistent in what it demands so they can carry that through as the granny does the rounds.

What is better $20k on legals or $20k on facilities? Answer that please.

As for other issues well sort those out as well. The poles were the object of the article that's why I stayed with that.

I am simply trying to suggest here to get every cent you can. Why keep
Padding poles when you can get them moved and out of the way?

The object of my saying move it elsewhere is to encourage the shire to help you more. They seem to have the funds for the legals why not the lights.

Then again perhaps these other issues which we don't know are more of an issue than the poles. Time will tell I guess.

Good luck with it.

But sadly I think the rotation of finals will be buried now.

And incase your wondering wilty I don't have a personal vendetta on the board nor league as I actually played along side the president then player and got on quite well.

I didn't say you did. Hadn't considered it. You just seem to have backed your shire over the league when it was the league that brought the granny to you. The shire didn't help with that bit.

I don't have a vendetta against Mathaz far from it in fact. I wish you would realise that and view my comments as an ally not a foe.

I want your community to
Keep your footy club. I know how important a footy club is to small communities.
Sadly that doesn't get recognised enough.
Success is surviving!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back