Picola & District SE 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree to the fact that there is flaws in the system, but with a little more research and planning, my opinion is it will work.
There is a threshold for tax free income generated from a hobby (I am not sure the exact amount)

If everything is ran by the books, no problem. The risks for under the table agreements would be no different to getting paid Cash in the real world (employers get crucified compared to employee's, if caught. no different to the Clubs paying Players) so the risks are by far greater for the Club than they are for the player. Most companies are smart enough to not risk it.

If your at a good club, of course the club would care about their reputation.

Is this system really the issue?
Or is the real issue Clubs and Players not wanting to pay tax?
Or is it Clubs not wanting this to be in place due to someone (CLUBS!) will have to pay administration costs eventually?
Or Clubs wanting to spend as much as they like?

Yes there is a threshold last I recall was worked out players could earn around the $300 per game. $300 is buggar all and not the amounts people are complaining about. That's why I said clubs would pay the rest cash elsewhere. From what I understand the plan was to have the players sign stat decs or the like declaring that the contracted money was all they were receiving. Would you out yourself later if this wasn't the case, you had earned more but now want to cause trouble because you have the cranks??

How many employers in this country have been caught paying under the table?? Compared to how many are actually doing it, buggar all.
If you think businesses aren't risking it you are not in touch with the real world. Cash payments are very much alive.

Do you think paying auditors is more important than injecting funds more wisely into projects that encourage more participation or actual admin help at club level.

Our real issue is player numbers.

Think very carefully how this will play out then. Players on less points all of a sudden a very good commodity for higher leagues who are also chasing player numbers not just talented players. Especially if everything is done by the books and points. The money will hit pdfnl harder than you think.

I said the clubs that do these deals wont care and will have people smart enough to cover their tracks. Those deals will happen and will cause the system to fail.

My issue and sole issue is the system will be rorted in favour of strong clubs, the points will still favour strong clubs and it won't (unfortunately) achieve anything positive for smaller community clubs or equalise comps.

Clubs paying for admin to administer this just makes it worse as that will also hit smaller clubs the most.

But if you can show me how to plug these holes and why all that admin expense is justified I'm more than happy to hear it.

Yes there is a threshold last I recall was worked out players could earn around the $300 per game. $300 is buggar all and not the amounts people are complaining about. That's why I said clubs would pay the rest cash elsewhere. From what I understand the plan was to have the players sign stat decs or the like declaring that the contracted money was all they were receiving. Would you out yourself later if this wasn't the case, you had earned more but now want to cause trouble because you have the cranks??

How many employers in this country have been caught paying under the table?? Compared to how many are actually doing it, buggar all.
If you think businesses aren't risking it you are not in touch with the real world. Cash payments are very much alive.

Do you think paying auditors is more important than injecting funds more wisely into projects that encourage more participation or actual admin help at club level.

Our real issue is player numbers.

Think very carefully how this will play out then. Players on less points all of a sudden a very good commodity for higher leagues who are also chasing player numbers not just talented players. Especially if everything is done by the books and points. The money will hit pdfnl harder than you think.

I said the clubs that do these deals wont care and will have people smart enough to cover their tracks. Those deals will happen and will cause the system to fail.

My issue and sole issue is the system will be rorted in favour of strong clubs, the points will still favour strong clubs and it won't (unfortunately) achieve anything positive for smaller community clubs or equalise comps.

Clubs paying for admin to administer this just makes it worse as that will also hit smaller clubs the most.

But if you can show me how to plug these holes and why all that admin expense is justified I'm more than happy to hear it.

I never specified specific statistics on companies paying cash. I do believe majority don't (for good reason) although if the system wasn't working in the real world it simply wouldn't be in place.

I believe a salary cap coinciding with the points system could be effective. or would you like to see both not come into play?

All the issues you bring up are the issues I believe would need attention and more research (as stated in my last post) before putting such a system in place. if they can address them, I think it will be good.
Point system and Salary cap aside. why do you think player numbers are down? is it in general or is it at specific clubs? if its only certain clubs, why?

what is everyone's opinion on player numbers at their respective club?

I never specified specific statistics on companies paying cash. I do believe majority don't (for good reason) although if the system wasn't working in the real world it simply wouldn't be in place.

I believe a salary cap coinciding with the points system could be effective. or would you like to see both not come into play?

All the issues you bring up are the issues I believe would need attention and more research (as stated in my last post) before putting such a system in place. if they can address them, I think it will be good.
Point system and Salary cap aside. why do you think player numbers are down? is it in general or is it at specific clubs? if its only certain clubs, why?

The system isn't working in the real world that's why gst was brought in to catch some of it. But now we have more problems with online purchasing from overseas. Always a way around things if you want it.

The system in theory would be great if was followed and not rorted. From what I've read a lot of work has gone into it.

I think the points system is a good guide as to what clubs are up to though.
Hypothetical example tungamah are extremely dominant across all grades. Rumours say they spend up big for seniors. If points indicate they are successful in seniors due to purchases aflvic has a chat and suggests they move up to Murray league or ease off and then keeps an eye on what that club does. That's just top of head thinking.

I'd rather see the connections at afl vic assist those clubs that are struggling in a more direct way. Maybe help get players/coaches out of metro areas, if new inexperienced admin have taken up roles (this often happens in small communities) offer guidance.

I will speak about my region. Numbers are down due to players leaving area to pursue work or education. Can be hard to keep some kids interested as well. Some put this down to kids working weekend as well these days to pay their mobile phone bills. Not as silly as you think. I think it is general problem I've seen the issue in previous strong mfl clubs as well.

Before bringing this in i hope aflvic does some samples from each league. Top, middle and bottom teams. work out their points as of right now. are the dominant clubs the ones spending up to buy flags?
I sometimes think rumours get out of hand and everyone points the finger at other clubs. At least using the points as a guide would give a better more honest appraisal.

Numbers are down due to junior comps in major cities who operate more junior sides than they feed into, no doubt what so ever about it .
They poach kids from neighbouring comps and the feed the best of them into their under 18's whilst the rest are lost to footy .

Numbers are down due to junior comps in major cities who operate more junior sides than they feed into, no doubt what so ever about it .
They poach kids from neighbouring comps and the feed the best of them into their under 18's whilst the rest are lost to footy .

Can I add on to this. Loyalty is best achieved in junior footy. The younger the better. Two examples I witnessed. Deni Rams on Occassion have their Auskick kids have games after the seniors. This year they purchased Rams guernseys small enough to actually fit properly. You could hear these young ones yelling "I'm a Ram now"!! Another kid at Auskick clinic kicked it not quite right and the guy in charge said you won't get a game at Rams if you kick like that the kid (8 yrs old) said "I don't want to play for Rams I'm a Blighty boy (normally his Auskick clinic is at Blighty). You can't buy loyalty or even try and force it you cultivate it through club involvement from an early age, in my opinion anyway.

To already insinuate or speculate clubs will rort the system, is disappointing to hear from someone in your position within the PDFNL.
Which specific clubs are you concerned about?

Since 1990 (24 years) everyone except Katunga have won a flag

Waaia - 24 years - 7 premierships ( A Flag every 3.4 years in this period, dropped off a bit. have stuck with Meyland and that crew maybe too long? could still pay off though)

Tungamah - 21 years - 5 premierships ( Modern day juggernaut, Strong Juniors and Reserves the last 10 years. Saunders played 2's in 2010-11. probably want Murray league, can't blame them)

Katandra - 24 years - 3 premierships ( a flag every 8 years isn't bad, pre 2010's they were a force and missed a lot of windows for flags)

Shepp East - 8 Years - 3 premierships (only 8 years in the league, handful of Reserves, U17's and U14's premierships. all grades below seniors are currently on top undefeated)

Katamatite - 24 years - 2 premierships (had 1 window. Strong juniors in this period, a few players made AFL. handful of players on big coin, a lot of loyal young players)

Dookie - 8 years - 1 premiership ( Only 8 years in the league, could of won 2, hung on to McMullen and the boys, could pay off)

Rennie - 6 years - 1 premiership ( Only 6 years in the league, could of won 2, need more time. travel could be a problem)

Katunga - 24 years - 0 premierships (4 x U17s premierships, 6 x U14's premierships, spent a bit the last few years = poor management?)

Which of these clubs are we genuinely concerned about?

To already insinuate or speculate clubs will rort the system, is disappointing to hear from someone in your position within the PDFNL.

Waaia - 24 years - 7 premierships ( A Flag every 3.4 years in this period, dropped off a bit. have stuck with Meyland and that crew maybe too long? could still pay off though)

Tungamah - 21 years - 5 premierships ( Modern day juggernaut, Strong Juniors and Reserves the last 10 years. Saunders played 2's in 2010-11. probably want Murray league, can't blame them)

Katandra - 24 years - 3 premierships ( a flag every 8 years isn't bad, pre 2010's they were a force and missed a lot of windows for flags)

Shepp East - 8 Years - 3 premierships (only 8 years in the league, handful of Reserves, U17's and U14's premierships. all grades below seniors are currently on top undefeated)

Katamatite - 24 years - 2 premierships (had 1 window. Strong juniors in this period, a few players made AFL. handful of players on big coin, a lot of loyal young players)

Dookie - 8 years - 1 premiership ( Only 8 years in the league, could of won 2, hung on to McMullen and the boys, could pay off)

Rennie - 6 years - 1 premiership ( Only 6 years in the league, could of won 2, need more time. travel could be a problem)

Katunga - 24 years - 0 premierships (4 x U17s premierships, 6 x U14's premierships, spent a bit the last few years = poor management?)

First I do not have a position in pdfnl. Big assumption that is a huge fail. I await your apology.

Also I am not pointing finger at any PDFNL clubs at all in fact I have been clear and stated I'm concerned pDFNL clubs will get hit hard by higher leagues who need players but need good players of less points because they are restricted to who they can recruit. I stand by that very firmly. Can you put my mind at ease on that?

Everyone knows salary cap won't work its talked about on even GV forum don't personally insult me for stating the obvious and what many agree on.

Even aflvic cannot be super confident in either plan to be using both together.
Answer this why are they adding the salary cap shouldn't the point system itself handle the problem?

Now on your list. Convince me why pdfnl needs the system going by that you agree with me. Katanga YOU question poor management if so that's a club I would like to see get a bit more help small community club may not have the people with right connection. Tungamah as I said perhaps suited to MFL which would then give more hope to other clubs and perhaps inject more enthusiasm and hope and easier recruiting??

Why the need for expensive admin based system??

First I do not have a position in pdfnl. Big assumption that is a huge fail. I await your apology.

Also I am not pointing finger at any PDFNL clubs at all in fact I have been clear and stated I'm concerned pDFNL clubs will get hit hard by higher leagues who need players but need good players of less points because they are restricted to who they can recruit. I stand by that very firmly. Can you put my mind at ease on that?

Everyone knows salary cap won't work its talked about on even GV forum don't personally insult me for stating the obvious and what many agree on.

Even aflvic cannot be super confident in either plan to be using both together.
Answer this why are they adding the salary cap shouldn't the point system itself handle the problem?

It's called scoping out users backgrounds ;)

Well if its not PDFNL clubs your worried about, maybe express your concerns at the clubs in their respective forums?

If higher leagues are after lower league players (because they are worth less points), then that is fantastic! why would this be an issue? players should be encouraged to have that year or 2 at a higher league. why would we not encourage players to get more out of themselves in a better league?

I'm not entirely sure why they are adding a Salary cap as well as the points system. I don't necessarily think it HAS to come in. but as I stated earlier, I think it will work. everyone is usually reluctant to change.

Maybe put a letter in writing addressing your concerns to the appropriate body? maybe go to a few other people and get some backing?

Do we have any firm statistics on this? or is it do hard to gauge?

So is this only a PDFNL issue? if not why are all leagues not banding together to get support from AFL Victoria?

if its primarily a PDFNL issue, how is it being addressed, and what's the solution?

It's called scoping out users backgrounds ;)

Well if its not PDFNL clubs your worried about, maybe express your concerns at the clubs in their respective forums?

If higher leagues are after lower league players (because they are worth less points), then that is fantastic! why would this be an issue? players should be encouraged to have that year or 2 at a higher league. why would we not encourage players to get more out of themselves in a better league?

I'm not entirely sure why they are adding a Salary cap as well as the points system. I don't necessarily think it HAS to come in. but as I stated earlier, I think it will work. everyone is usually reluctant to change.

Maybe put a letter in writing addressing your concerns to the appropriate body? maybe go to a few other people and get some backing?

Do you know how to comprehend posts?

So why are you scoping my background?
You have done a crap job of it and plenty in pDFNL would be laughing at you. I hope you aren't afl vic or the like coz you fail at interpreting things and doing research.

Aflvic have a tendency to bully, bit like yourself funnily enough, and not listen to wise advice. but who says I'm not stirring things up at club level. Watch this space!!

No it's not fantastic I thought this was to encourage loyalty?? Where do pdfnl clubs get the replacements?????? Which is exactly why I'm worried for them. Players higher leagues wouldn't go hard for previously will now. Again where will the replacements come from?

My mind is not at ease.

Or are you only interestedand have the mindset of improving things for the stronger leagues and buggar pdfnl?

Do you know how to comprehend posts?

So why are you scoping my background?
You have done a crap job of it and plenty in pDFNL would be laughing at you. I hope you aren't afl vic or the like coz you fail at interpreting things and doing research.

Aflvic have a tendency to bully, bit like yourself funnily enough, and not listen to wise advice. but who says I'm not stirring things up at club level. Watch this space!!

No it's not fantastic I thought this was to encourage loyalty?? Where do pdfnl clubs get the replacements?????? Which is exactly why I'm worried for them. Players higher leagues wouldn't go hard for previously will now. Again where will the replacements come from?

My mind is not at ease.

Or are you only interested and have the mindset of improving things for the stronger leagues and buggar pdfnl?

your feedback is respectively received and placed in a queue for future administration. :thumbsu:

you replace them with Juniors coming through the ranks. if you looked after the players that are sought out by better leagues. they will be back in the future, no doubt.

the points system may work as clubs will recruit to win premierships on more of a 3 year plan. for example:

john doe in 2016 is worth 6 points.
john doe in 2017 is now worth 5 points.
john doe in 2018 is now worth 4 points.

in that amount of time Bob, Bill and Ben have gone from 17 years old to 20 years old and are now playing seniors.
john (4) Bob (1) Bill (1) Ben (1) = 4 senior players for 7 points (3 out of 4 are home grown)
If your club has a good junior infrastructure in place Bob, Bill and Ben will still be at the club.

Clubs need to still be responsible for their own management decisions (that's why they have a committee) Bad management is usually at fault of themselves, and every club goes through it at times.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

your feedback is respectively received and placed in a queue for future administration. :thumbsu:

you replace them with Juniors coming through the ranks. if you looked after the players that are sought out by better leagues. they will be back in the future, no doubt.

the points system may work as clubs will recruit to win premierships on more of a 3 year plan. for example:

john doe in 2016 is worth 6 points.
john doe in 2017 is now worth 5 points.
john doe in 2018 is now worth 4 points.

in that amount of time Bob, Bill and Ben have gone from 17 years old to 20 years old and are now playing seniors.
john (4) Bob (1) Bill (1) Ben (1) = 4 senior players for 7 points (3 out of 4 are home grown)
If your club has a good junior infrastructure in place Bob, Bill and Ben will still be at the club.

Clubs need to still be responsible for their own management decisions (that's why they have a committee) Bad management is usually at fault of themselves, and every club goes through it at times.

The future doesn't take care of now.
Bob bill and Ben won't be at the club as Mfl or whoever poached them when they were 18 as numbers are an issue. Majority of juniors left for work or education not fault of the clubs development.

You are aflvic and I am disgusted and appalled at your lack of knowledge or even respect for the challenges of smaller clubs and leagues like Pdfnl.

I have said it before I'll say it again to actual pdfnl people be afraid and wary of this aflvic mob they will not look out for you only to put their hand out for admin fees.

Read sharp elbows posts it's clear as day.

Do what's right for pdfnl and vote against it.

Last edited:
The future doesn't take care of now.

You are aflvic and I am disgusted and appalled at your lack of knowledge or even respect for the challenges of smaller clubs and leagues like Pdfnl.

I have said it before I'll say it again to actual pdfnl people be afraid and wary of this aflvic mob they will not look out for you only to put their hand out for admin fees.

Read sharp elbows posts it's clear as day.

Do what's right for pdfnl and vote against it.

This will be the same as decisions the PDFNL Board has made in the past, Votes mean nothing. They put in place what ever they see fit, regardless of the votes or opinions of people and/or clubs it affects.

You raise some good points, and your passion is un questionable. but so are a lot of peoples that do nothing with their ideas and passion.

I would encourage you to do something about it. get a backing, and put it forward to the appropriate body. instead of being one of those who have all the answers but never push to make a difference.

This will be the same as decisions the PDFNL Board has made in the past, Votes mean nothing. They put in place what ever they see fit, regardless of the votes or opinions of people and/or clubs it affects.

You raise some good points, and your passion is un questionable. but so are a lot of peoples that do nothing with their ideas and passion.

I would encourage you to do something about it. get a backing, and put it forward to the appropriate body. instead of being one of those who have all the answers but never push to make a difference.

Don't get cranky with me because I'm right.

You know nothing about me which is blatantly obvious but it's nice to know that leagues are governed by such decent respectful people.

What's the point of me wasting time putting this in writing to you I'll just get a response like this.... Just more carefully worded.

Easy to insult from behind an alias but what you don't get is your true personality and how you really think are showing. Oops!!!!

aFL Vics track record of following their own timelframes and treatment of clubs is hardly honourable now is it??

The board you are bagging on got voted back in very comfortably by reports!! If they were as bad as you are attempting to make out wouldn't the opponent for President have got in??? Got an agenda for those comments?? I'll answer as you ignore my questions Yes.

This is the pdfnl forum for discussion which I was doing and will continue to do. What Else I may be doing well, as I said watch this space!!!

Have a nice day!!!

Last edited:
Don't get cranky with me because I'm right.

You know nothing about me which is blatantly obvious but it's nice to know that leagues are governed by such decent respectful people.

What's the point of me wasting time putting this in writing to you I'll just get a response like this.... Just more carefully worded.

Easy to insult from behind an alias but what you don't get is your true personality and how you really think are showing. Oops!!!!

aFL Vics track record of following their own timelframes and treatment of clubs is hardly honourable now is it??

The board you are bagging on got voted back in very comfortably by reports!! If they were as bad as you are attempting to make out wouldn't the opponent for President have got in??? Got an agenda for those comments?? I'll answer as you ignore my questions Yes.

This is the pdfnl forum for discussion which I was doing and will continue to do. What Else I may be doing well, as I said watch this space!!!

Have a nice day!!!

Cranky? a less than impressive rebuttal

As stated in my previous post/posts, you raise some very good points and you may indeed be right in some aspects.

but again, If pushing your concerns for the PDFNL (which you passionately care about so much) is a "waste of time" then you obviously don't care as much as your posts would perceive!

You want some creditability provide some evidence.
Easy to make accusations with the safety of a anonymous website because things don't go your way .
Didn't the league do a survey and gauge the view of clubs recently, would have thought would have provided a pretty clear view of what clubs think ?

Last edited:
Do we have any firm statistics on this? or is it do hard to gauge?

So is this only a PDFNL issue? if not why are all leagues not banding together to get support from AFL Victoria?

if its primarily a PDFNL issue, how is it being addressed, and what's the solution?
I can assure you there are stats and it has most definitely been raised with the AFL by many . You only here in the media what some want you to believe which is why things are generally tried to be rushed through and deceiving those whom suffer from short sightness.

Cranky? a less than impressive rebuttal

As stated in my previous post/posts, you raise some very good points and you may indeed be right in some aspects.

but again, If pushing your concerns for the PDFNL (which you passionately care about so much) is a "waste of time" then you obviously don't care as much as your posts would perceive!

Please don't try that line with me. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

There is a big difference between wasting my time with you and persuing different avenues.

I am passionate and I am right and I will fight to find a way to stop this because I do care as much as my posts would perceive.

Please don't try that line with me. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

There is a big difference between wasting my time with you and persuing different avenues.

I am passionate and I am right and I will fight to find a way to stop this because I do care as much as my posts would perceive.

I have seen more passionate and "right" people than yourself get no where with more data and evidence than you are stating.

at the end of the day, it will be in regardless :)

I can assure you there are stats and it has most definitely been raised with the AFL by many . You only here in the media what some want you to believe which is why things are generally tried to be rushed through and deceiving those whom suffer from short sightness.

This is very concerning, is this on a public data base? I would really like to see these statistics.

I have seen more passionate and "right" people than yourself get no where with more data and evidence than you are stating.

at the end of the day, it will be in regardless :)
It will only be in the leagues that want it, the AFL doesn't own football clubs or leagues. Which in many cases are the corner stone of local communities, time to have a look around when you next leave town there is more to the world than your little bubble.

It will only be in the leagues that want it, the AFL doesn't own football clubs or leagues. Which in many cases are the corner stone of local communities, time to have a look around when you next leave town there is more to the world than your little bubble.

That's rich coming from you.
So your stating when clubs vote within the PDFNL (if they get a vote) the PDFNL board will go with what the majority vote in support of? Or does the PDFNL "OWN" the clubs? ;)

You might not like lack of control but fact is, it will eventually be in place.
Not even affiliating the PDFNL with AFL NSW will avoid this change. delaying the inevitable will only give other leagues a head start into the system.

Heard recently of a proposal whereby clubs would be allocated points based on the amount of players they have had play in the past 7 years that have played over the 40 game home player threshold.
Greater than 60 > 22 points
50 - 60> 25 points
40-50 > 28 points etc etc

Not sure if I necessarily agree with the figures used for the criteria and allocation of points, but it may even out the playing field within the same competition for those clubs that don't have the benefit of great junior numbers from time to time, compared to those that do. Would also place a huge emphasis of all clubs to improve the percentage of their juniors that transition into senior players, which should be the number 1 goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back