Rumour Player Surnames On Back Of Jumper And FA compo Removed

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the names on the back - particularly where other teams players are involved. I could name all of my team by number, but would struggle with many other clubs.

They had names on the back during the international rules matche on the weekend. Doesnt clog up the jumper, and helps with identifying players who I may not know otherwise.

I like the names on the back - particularly where other teams players are involved. I could name all of my team by number, but would struggle with many other clubs.

They had names on the back during the international rules matche on the weekend. Doesnt clog up the jumper, and helps with identifying players who I may not know otherwise.

....great idea! We'll put names on the back of all the opposition players!

Ironically if you look at the NRL who's had names on the back of jumpers for years.

Most official gear sold to the public does not have any players name on it, sales of Jerseys increased when the players name was removed from the back.

This came down to marketing, where the frequency of players moving about in the NRL is believed to sub consciously play a role in the decision buy a jumper.

There were also cases where some names wouldn't sell and others would sell so fast they were on consistent back order.

In the end removing not only lowered the costs but increased sales.

Additionally the last report showed that less then 10% of supporters buying official merch took up the option to get a players name attached to it.

Third party research suggests that up to 60% of supporters wearing jersey's with player names are not official products of the clubs or the NRL.

If there's a reason for it it certainly not in jumper sales.

Would you still need numbers if players' names were on the back?

I personally don't like the idea, but could live with it. Hate any further Americanisation for its own sake, though - that's a form of cultural cringe ("the NFL does it, so it must be good") - and dilutes the uniqueness of our own native game.

Would you still need numbers if players' names were on the back?

Absolutely. There's no way you could make names large enough that people could see them. If you watch basketball or soccer on TV (or in person), the names look like nothing but a blob on TV, unless its a close-up of the specific player's back.

I personally don't like the idea, but could live with it. Hate any further Americanisation for its own sake, though - that's a form of cultural cringe ("the NFL does it, so it must be good") - and dilutes the uniqueness of our own native game.

I was more resistant to the idea in previous years (and would still prefer that they kept them the same), but I'm becoming more neutral towards it. Just don't insult us and tell us it's for anything other than the additional revenue. Also, I like the idea that has been floated in other sports that if you purchased a player's guernsey in, say, the past 18-24 months and then he moves to a different club, you're allowed to trade in your old guernsey for a new player for a discount (say, 30% off).

Nah not a fan. I like the idea that my #23 hawks jumper isn't tied to a particular player (i.e. Buddy), and that in 5 years time it'll signify a new Hawthorn legend. If it had FRANKLIN on the back I probably wouldn't still be in possession of it.

Nah not a fan. I like the idea that my #23 hawks jumper isn't tied to a particular player (i.e. Buddy), and that in 5 years time it'll signify a new Hawthorn legend. If it had FRANKLIN on the back I probably wouldn't still be in possession of it.

Thats not a bug. Its a feature.

JezzaNameJumperSLIDER.jpg

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2013-08-23/name-of-the-game

Jeremy Cameron has showed off the jumper the GIANTS hope will soon become part of the AFL.
The GIANTS want to add names to the back of players jumpers for the 2014 season as a way for fans to further connect with the players.
Soccer, cricket, basketball, baseball and American football all identify their players with names on the back as well as numbers.
GIANTS Head Coach Kevin Sheedy says it’s important to make this change to help crowds identify with the players, particularly with the game growing in New South Wales and Queensland.
"We are one of the few sports in the world that don't carry names of players on the backs of jumpers or shirts,” said Sheedy.

Demetriou was shown the jumper before the club’s final match of the season at SKODA Stadium and liked what he saw.

“I’ve always believed that having names on jumpers is something we should pursue” he said.

“When you are trying to grow the game particularly in New South Wales and Queensland it makes sense to give as much information as possible.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mind names on guernsey, might help Hame recognise some Freo players, hate it when he gets Cam Sutcliffe mixed up with Zac Clarke o_O

And who above 16 buys guernseys with numbers anyway?

I think names on jumpers has to wait until the next TV deal. Having a blur on the back of every jumper in every Channel 7 game will simply cause the public to rally against the concept and (in spite of the names probably being clear and readable on Fox) bury it.

I don't care muc one way or the other, but in our game it seems like it will add little. Players aren't static for very long and even on TV closeups which make the names readable would be fairly rare, even moreso without someone running between the camera and player.
When there's enough time for a closeup the commentators give the name anyway (yes, occasionally getting it wrong).

Most other sports also do not have the same amount of asvertising on the back as occurs in the AFL.
Large fields, the 360 degee nature of the sport (as opposed to American Football or the rugby codes where teams line up facing each other and rugby doesn't use them anyway - I think league does), large number of players on the field, and an already busy back of the guernsey, make it less likely to work for Australian Football. But why not give it a shot, or at least allow it if a club wants it. I don't think it would add anything, and probably not detract either, so meh.

I would prefer a way to find room for a number on the front, but making that large enough to be useful with most jumper designs seems unlikely.

good move. compo picks affect other teams (although i dont mind say end of 2nd round)

names on backs is brilliant. best way for people to get familliar with the players. everyone in world started off by not having names and worked out quickly that having names is of great benefit. mainly on tv obviously. 90% of fans dont know numbers of players. its shithouse. people that want to learn the game get discouraged.

but like everything in australia, its 20 years too late.

I know your post is old.
But you can't be serious are you seriously saying people wouldn't learn players names without names on jumpers? Don't need em'.

GIANTS Head Coach Kevin Sheedy says it’s important to make this change to help crowds identify with the players, particularly with the game growing in New South Wales and Queensland.

The game has managed 100+ years without them. Don't need em'.

I know your post is old.
But you can't be serious are you seriously saying people wouldn't learn players names without names on jumpers? Don't need em'.

The game has managed 100+ years without them. Don't need em'.

dead serious. who will they learn of? its not a question of need, its about enhancing experience.

afl managed well without 65" Full HD televisions. but thats not the point. names on backs enhances viewer experience.

I like it for rep games such as state matches; but generally I think that fans memorise the numbers of their own teams players pretty quickly so names on jumpers aren't necessary otherwise.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back