Rumour Player Surnames On Back Of Jumper And FA compo Removed

Remove this Banner Ad

I still think if there is ardent opposition to names on jumpers then the best time to trial it is now with games still being shown in standard def. blurry blobs above player numbers will prove hugely unpopular and bury the concept, possibly for good.

Of course as someone who would like names, and all games in foxtel-quality HD, I would hope the strategy above is never employed.

Terrible idea, our game is full of traditions and idiosyncracies that make it Australian, like the father-son rule. Tradition jumpers, with only the player number, is another tradition. There is no strong argument for change, so it's just change for the sake of change.

Good call OP.

AFL teams to trial player names on the back of jumpers in 2014
THE AFL is about to break with more than 100 years of tradition by allowing players to have their names on the back of guernseys.

The league will trial having names on team uniforms between Rounds 3-6 this season.

The push for better identification of players has been led by expansion clubs Greater Western Sydney and Gold Coast, with strong support from North Melbourne.

Former Giants coach Kevin Sheedy has been an advocate of the move for a number of years.

"It's called common sense," Sheedy said. "There's a market here and on the Gold Coast where we need to promote our talent."
The merchandising potential of having your favourite player's name on your back has generated billions of dollars in sales around the world.

Soccer, basketball, the NFL and the NHL all have players' names on their uniforms.

AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou has been a supporter of the innovation.

Fortunately for the AFL the proposal comes well after Robert DiPierdomenico has finished playing, but Swans utility Lewis Roberts-Thomson is set to provide a headache for manufacturers.

The use of numbers on the back of guernseys was introduced during the VFL finals in 1911.

The semi-final that year between Carlton and Essendon was the first game in which both teams wore numbers on the back of their guernseys.

What a stupid idea a footy oval is much too large, the cameras angle aren't good enough (I'm looking at you channel 7) and the names won't be visible by more than 50% of the crowd.

Soccer, basketball, the NFL and the NHL all have players' names on their uniforms.
All these sports leagues are incredibly different none of these are even played on an oval. Should we make it so that flares are allowed into games? Should we incorporate cheerleaders? How is it a valid argument to say that the names are a good idea simply because other codes do it.

What a stupid idea a footy oval is much too large, the cameras angle aren't good enough (I'm looking at you channel 7) and the names won't be visible by more than 50% of the crowd.

All these sports leagues are incredibly different none of these are even played on an oval. Should we make it so that flares are allowed into games? Should we incorporate cheerleaders? How is it a valid argument to say that the names are a good idea simply because other codes do it.

So they will be visible to 50% of the crowd then? Great. Player's name are currently visible to 0% of the crowd.

The WAFL started doing it in the early 80's. Most likely because so many players were heading east after each season. No one knew who was who at the start of a new year.;)

Anyway, it only lasted a couple of years IIRC. As people have mentioned here, where would you find the room anyway. Football jumpers these days are more like walking billboards.

It's a good idea and it's been inevitable from a marketing perspective for a long time now.

The "Why should we do it just because every other sport does it" is ridiculous when just about every improvement that has been made to how our game is presented was stolen from other sports.

The complaint that you can't see them anyway because an Aussie rules oval is so big are ridiculous because a) Cricketers wear names on their backs in limited overs games on the same ovals, and b) you can't see the names very well in other fast moving sports either, unless there is a close up shot.

This is mainly designed to move more guernseys. It's also for the players to be better able to market themselves in the era of free agency.

It's a good idea and it's been inevitable from a marketing perspective for a long time now.

Really, why has it been inevitable?

The "Why should we do it just because every other sport does it" is ridiculous when just about every improvement that has been made to how our game is presented was stolen from other sports.

What improvements are you talking about?

The complaint that you can't see them anyway because an Aussie rules oval is so big are ridiculous because a) Cricketers wear names on their backs in limited overs games on the same ovals, and b) you can't see the names very well in other fast moving sports either, unless there is a close up shot.

Think about how much wider the majority of shots in an AFL telecast are compared to cricket, think about how many more players and how much more movement in one shot compared to cricket. The only time you have a closeup of an AFL player from behind is when they're taking a set shot for goal, and not even all of those.

This is mainly designed to move more guernseys. It's also for the players to be better able to market themselves in the era of free agency.

So we should lose our traditional jumpers to make more money? How does a player having a name on his jumper help him market himself better in the era of free agency? If anything names on jumpers in the free agency era has the potential to drive down jumper sales. Parents will be less likely to buy their children jumpers that are specific to a player if they know there's a chance they'll jump ship in a year or two. Who would want a Hawthorn jumper now with "Franklin" emblazoned on the shoulders?

As I said earlier, this is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, and I'm yet to see a convincing argument for it.

Really, why has it been inevitable?

Because it's good from a marketing perspective and the AFL is driven by money.

What improvements are you talking about?

Everything about the television presentation is borrowed from the big 4 US sports. We've followed the US very closely in terms of sports broadcasting and that's great, because they are the best at it.

Clash strips, which despite what people think are a massive improvement to the way the game is presented.

Think about how much wider the majority of shots in an AFL telecast are compared to cricket, think about how many more players and how much more movement in one shot compared to cricket. The only time you have a closeup of an AFL player from behind is when they're taking a set shot for goal, and not even all of those.

Well this is just wrong. There are closeups of AFL players every time there is a pack situation. They'll do closeups of players after a goal or while waiting for a ball to be bounced or thrown in.

Again, the movement isn't an issue in any other code of football or ice hockey or field hockey. There are plenty of dynamic sports that have names on the back of uniforms.

So we should lose our traditional jumpers to make more money? How does a player having a name on his jumper help him market himself better in the era of free agency? If anything names on jumpers in the free agency era has the potential to drive down jumper sales. Parents will be less likely to buy their children jumpers that are specific to a player if they know there's a chance they'll jump ship in a year or two. Who would want a Hawthorn jumper now with "Franklin" emblazoned on the shoulders?

Firstly, you are talking about a football league with a totally inequitable draw and fixture designed purely to make money, throwing fairness out the window. If the AFL care more about money than fairness in the fixture, they'll definitely care more about money than the "tradition" of not having a name on the back. It's not even a tradition, it's just the way it's always been, which is not a good reason to keep it the same way it is.

Parents will listen to their nagging kids just as they do currently. It's very naive to think parents will just stop buying their kids guernseys because they might become obsolete in a few years. It didn't stop millions of Manchester United fans from buying Ronaldo shirts. It didn't stop Cleveland fans from buying LeBron James jerseys, and it wont make a difference here.

This happens in every sport in the world, and in US sports players change teams a lot more frequently than they do here, especially the big name players who would sell the most shirts.

The Franklin example is EXACTLY why this will drive up sales. Imagine if the 50,000 people with Hawthorn #23 guernseys also had Franklin on the back? Most of them would have already bought a new guernsey and thrown out their old one.

As it stands they can just wear number 23 and support Tim O'Brien, and i'm sure most of them will.

As I said earlier, this is a solution to a problem that doesn't exist, and I'm yet to see a convincing argument for it.

It's not a solution to a problem. They aren't trying to fix anything.

They are trying to generate more revenue, and they will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whether you like names on the back or not is really a personal thing and of course there will be differing opinions on it.

I personally like the idea but I get why other people don't.

Making more money is the only reason the AFL does anything. I'm surprised it has lasted this long for the AFL to bring it in.

People say "Americanism" like it's a bad thing in regards to sports (not to mention that "Americanism" is a furphy because names on the back of uniforms happens all over the world). Americans do elite level professional sport incredibly well. If only we could bring in some other American sporting concepts, like equitable fixturing, interesting All-Star games and commentators that are professionals in their field and not simply retired players who are useless at it.

Whether you like names on the back or not is really a personal thing and of course there will be differing opinions on it.

I personally like the idea but I get why other people don't.

Making more money is the only reason the AFL does anything. I'm surprised it has lasted this long for the AFL to bring it in.

People say "Americanism" like it's a bad thing in regards to sports (not to mention that "Americanism" is a furphy because names on the back of uniforms happens all over the world). Americans do elite level professional sport incredibly well. If only we could bring in some other American sporting concepts, like equitable fixturing, interesting All-Star games and commentators that are professionals in their field and not simply retired players who are useless at it.
Exactly.

I just think it's totally unnecessary. It's an ugly money grab that adds nothing to the game. Of all the ways AFL could be improved by importing American ideas, they chose this.

Whether you like it or not, the AFL has just expanded into two new markets where player identification is not great. Ask your average Gold Coast/GWS fan and I think they would struggle to name every single player on their team's 22. The number system is temporary and like someone already pointed out, the 23 guernsey at Hawthorn is still useful despite the fact that the purchase was intended for a guy no longer at the club.

The name on the back brings a whole new dimension to marketing in the AFL. We can now start to get a strong grasp on which player has the most pulling power when it comes to guernsey sales. Think about the idea of retrospective guernseys and how much a team like the Brisbane Lions will make when they start releasing named guernseys from the triple premiership era. Not to mention the fact that the commentators will no longer have any reason to get names confused. I'm sorry but I think the positives out weight the negatives in this situation.

It will also encourage teams to trial different variations of guernseys in another attempt to make money. It's all about merchandise consumption and this definitely helps. Also, once AFL fans get over the free agency concept and start to accept players for their careers rather than their efforts for one club, we'll see people start collecting all the different guernseys that a certain player wore during their career. For example you've got a special foundation guernsey the Gold Coast wore last year in Gary Ablett's 250th (see below). Of course you would buy this guernsey with Ablett on the back if you were a massive GAJ fan.

AFL%2BRd%2B20%2BGold%2BCoast%2Bv%2BMelbourne%2BobZJl8XLw5Cl.jpg

Get on board because I'm sure the AFL is looking to bring it in next year.

So they will be visible to 50% of the crowd then? Great. Player's name are currently visible to 0% of the crowd.

Players names are visible to 100% of the crowd you just look down in the footy record an viola there is the players name

Whether you like it or not, the AFL has just expanded into two new markets where player identification is not great. Ask your average Gold Coast/GWS fan and I think they would struggle to name every single player on their team's 22. The number system is temporary and like someone already pointed out, the 23 guernsey at Hawthorn is still useful despite the fact that the purchase was intended for a guy no longer at the club.

The name on the back brings a whole new dimension to marketing in the AFL. We can now start to get a strong grasp on which player has the most pulling power when it comes to guernsey sales. Think about the idea of retrospective guernseys and how much a team like the Brisbane Lions will make when they start releasing named guernseys from the triple premiership era. Not to mention the fact that the commentators will no longer have any reason to get names confused. I'm sorry but I think the positives out weight the negatives in this situation.

It will also encourage teams to trial different variations of guernseys in another attempt to make money. It's all about merchandise consumption and this definitely helps. Also, once AFL fans get over the free agency concept and start to accept players for their careers rather than their efforts for one club, we'll see people start collecting all the different guernseys that a certain player wore during their career. For example you've got a special foundation guernsey the Gold Coast wore last year in Gary Ablett's 250th (see below). Of course you would buy this guernsey with Ablett on the back if you were a massive GAJ fan.

AFL%2BRd%2B20%2BGold%2BCoast%2Bv%2BMelbourne%2BobZJl8XLw5Cl.jpg

Get on board because I'm sure the AFL is looking to bring it in next year.

Can you honestly tell me you think you are going to be able to see the players names during play either live or during a broadcast?

probably good that dipper is not still playing - would be a struggle to fit his name on (spose if he was playing now at his present weigh in his girth would facilitate a fit)

Can you honestly tell me you think you are going to be able to see the players names during play either live or during a broadcast?

You could make the same argument for a lot of sports that use surnames. Of course close ups do occur quite often in a broadcast and you will definitely be able to read the name on TV when someone is lining up for goal. There are lots of other reasons (that I have already stated) to do it.

Imagine your average kid in Sydney who isn't too familiar with the game or its players. He sees number 23 Franklin or number 18 Cameron booting all these goals on TV and asks mum and dad for a guernsey for his birthday. Suddenly little Johnny knows the star player's name on his new favourite team and has it on the back of his guernsey. Now Johnny wants to go to games at the SCG/Olympic Park to watch his hero in the flesh. He shows off his guernsey with pride while walking through the stadium and lets Franklin/Cameron know he is a supporter during the game. He gets to know other names and Aussie rules idiosyncrasies by attending games. Johnny never looks back and always holds dear his first 23 Franklin/18 Cameron guernsey. Johnny buys his son a Franklin Jr/Cameron Jr guernsey for his 10th Birthday....

You get the idea.

Dont really see why people are so against it. Most major sports have names on the back.

Simply saying 'They do it so we should too' is not a valid argument. To use the cliché if you saw somebody else jump off a bridge would you follow?

probably good that dipper is not still playing - would be a struggle to fit his name on (spose if he was playing now at his present weigh in his girth would facilitate a fit)

This is something I think is being ignored. Sponsors logos, player numbers and club initials like FFC are all the same. Players names will ruin the uniformity players names are obviously different length so it will be interesting to see how players name that are longer are shown.

Imagine your average kid in Sydney who isn't too familiar with the game or its players...
Solid points Matchu as ussual. But this really bothers me for some reason. The people in Sydney to the game would be under 10% should we really change something just to please 10% of people. I think it also sets an interesting precedent what happens in the future when the game expands overseas will people be happy to see a little change in tradition to please the 10%.

Simply saying 'They do it so we should too' is not a valid argument. To use the cliché if you saw somebody else jump off a bridge would you follow?

This is something I think is being ignored. Sponsors logos, player numbers and club initials like FFC are all the same. Players names will ruin the uniformity players names are obviously different length so it will be interesting to see how players name that are longer are shown.

Solid points Matchu as ussual. But this really bothers me for some reason. The people in Sydney to the game would be under 10% should we really change something just to please 10% of people. I think it also sets an interesting precedent what happens in the future when the game expands overseas will people be happy to see a little change in tradition to please the 10%.
I mean we can moan about it all we want but the fact is that it's happening. I think it looks fine. The North jumper (below) manages to fit it all in without it looking too crowded. It's just another one of those things that people will stop complaining about after a few weeks of it happening I reckon.

ZAH_harvey_LW-20140130191554837470-620x349.jpg
JezzaNameJumperSLIDER.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back