Draft Expert PMBangers' (and ‘friends’) 2022 Draft Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Crapshoot rounds here, much more 'Best available list fit' than rumour based here friends. Port, Richmond and Brisbane's picks in round 5 are only there to get each club to 3 picks in the phantom draft rather than me thinking they'll take that amount of picks. Overall even without those 3 final picks I think I've probably been pretty generous with the amount of players taken in this, 57 is probably the top end of how many might be taken, I think clubs will be far more optimistic about taking a few of these later guys in the rookie draft. I've got 9 players in my 'National Draft worthy' category still left on the board here; Will Verrell, Archie Lovelock, Phoenix Foster, Jack Cleaver, Seth Campbell, Lloyd Johnston, Rye Penny, Hudson O'Keeffe, Jason Gilbee and Jonti Schuback, and pretty much all of them were considered at one point or another in this portion of the draft, and I wouldn't be surprised to see any of them taken prior to the rookie draft, or invited as train-on players over the summer.

I've also got a list of a further 30 guys that I'd give a shot on the rookie list, or at least offer a state league position to if I was a club, so I think there's some depth in that regard but think the rookie draft will once again be mostly used to re-list players or pick up delisted guys unfortunately, but the positive there is that it makes the MSD a bit more exciting next year.

View attachment 1555198

Pick 38 - Western Bulldogs - Billy Dowling
North Adelaide | SA
Balanced Midfielder
187 cm 80 kg

Pick 39 - Fremantle - Sam Gilbey
Claremont | WA
General Defender
187 cm 73 kg

Pick 40 - Hawthorn - Mitch Szybkowski
Dandenong Stingrays | VIC Country
Inside Midfielder
186 cm 86 kg

Pick 41 - Hawthorn (Matched Bid) - Cooper Vickery
Gippsland Power | VIC Country
Small Defender
181 cm 72 kg

Pick 42 - Sydney - Tom McCallum
Clarence | TAS
General Defender
192 cm 82 kg

Pick 43 - North Melbourne - Cooper Harvey
Northern Knights | VIC Metro
Small Forward | Inside Midfielder
180 cm 82 kg

Pick 44 - Essendon (Matched Bid) - Anthony Munkara
West Adelaide | NT
General Forward
187 cm 81 kg

Pick 45 - Fremantle - Tom Scully
West Adelaide | SA
Tall Forward
203 cm 89 kg

Pick 48 - Carlton - James Van Es
GWV Rebels | VIC Country
Tall Defender
197 cm 99 kg

Pick 50 - Collingwood - Hugh Bond
GWV Rebels | VIC Country
Inside Midfielder/ General Defender
185 cm 82 kg

Pick 52 - Richmond - Harry Lemmey
West Adelaide | SA
Tall Forward
200 cm 95 kg

Pick 54 - Geelong - Harvey Gallagher
Bendigo Pioneers | VIC Country
Small Utility
179 cm 77 kg

Pick 55 - Adelaide - Kaleb Smith
East Fremantle | WA
Small Defender
181 cm 77 kg

Pick 56 - Port Adelaide - Nick Sadler
Sturt | SA
Balanced Midfielder/ Small Forward
180 cm 74 kg

Pick 58 - Essendon - Jayden Davey
Oakleigh Chargers | VIC Metro
Small Forward
179 cm 79 kg

Pick 59 - Richmond - Jack O'Sullivan
Oakleigh Chargers | VIC Country
Inside Midfielder/ Small Forward
177 cm 71 kg

Pick 60 - Geelong - Jaxon Binns
Wing/ Small Forward
182 cm 70 kg

Pick 61 - Adelaide - Adam D'Aloia
Woodville-West Torrens | SA
Inside Midfielder
186 cm 83 kg

Pick 64 - Fremantle - Jed Hagan
East Fremantle | WA
Small Utility
175 cm 74 kg

Pick 66 - Western Bulldogs - Max Knobel
Ruck
206 cm 91 kg

Pick 70 - Port Adelaide - Luke Teal
General Defender/ Balanced Midfielder
189 cm 80 kg

Pick 71 - Richmond - Jovan Petric
Western Jets | VIC Metro
Tall Forward
196 cm 87 kg

Pick 72 - Brisbane - Toby McMullin
Sandringham Dragons | VIC Country
Small Forward/ Wing
182 cm 83 kg

You were going so well until you passed over Lemmey (in the unlikely event we take a forth pick). 😤

Remember this time last year this draft was meant to be a gold mine for talls.
All those guys are being picked in the 40's and 50's in this phantom (and plenty of others)
Just shows how much things change

You were going so well until you passed over Lemmey (in the unlikely event we take a forth pick). 😤
4 talls Rusty Beam? 4!
Now, let's not be greedy, you still need a midfielder or 5

Crapshoot rounds here, much more 'Best available list fit' than rumour based here friends. Port, Richmond and Brisbane's picks in round 5 are only there to get each club to 3 picks in the phantom draft rather than me thinking they'll take that amount of picks. Overall even without those 3 final picks I think I've probably been pretty generous with the amount of players taken in this, 57 is probably the top end of how many might be taken, I think clubs will be far more optimistic about taking a few of these later guys in the rookie draft. I've got 9 players in my 'National Draft worthy' category still left on the board here; Will Verrell, Archie Lovelock, Phoenix Foster, Jack Cleaver, Seth Campbell, Lloyd Johnston, Rye Penny, Hudson O'Keeffe, Jason Gilbee and Jonti Schuback, and pretty much all of them were considered at one point or another in this portion of the draft, and I wouldn't be surprised to see any of them taken prior to the rookie draft, or invited as train-on players over the summer.

I've also got a list of a further 30 guys that I'd give a shot on the rookie list, or at least offer a state league position to if I was a club, so I think there's some depth in that regard but think the rookie draft will once again be mostly used to re-list players or pick up delisted guys unfortunately, but the positive there is that it makes the MSD a bit more exciting next year.

View attachment 1555198

North Adelaide | SA
Balanced Midfielder
187 cm 80 kg

Claremont | WA
General Defender
187 cm 73 kg

Inside Midfielder
186 cm 86 kg

Small Defender
181 cm 72 kg

Clarence | TAS
General Defender
192 cm 82 kg

180 cm 82 kg

West Adelaide | NT
General Forward
187 cm 81 kg

West Adelaide | SA
Tall Forward
203 cm 89 kg

GWV Rebels | VIC Country
Tall Defender
197 cm 99 kg

GWV Rebels | VIC Country
185 cm 82 kg

West Adelaide | SA
Tall Forward
200 cm 95 kg

Small Utility
179 cm 77 kg

East Fremantle | WA
Small Defender
181 cm 77 kg

Sturt | SA
180 cm 74 kg

Small Forward
179 cm 79 kg

177 cm 71 kg

Wing/ Small Forward
182 cm 70 kg

Inside Midfielder
186 cm 83 kg

East Fremantle | WA
Small Utility
175 cm 74 kg

Ruck
206 cm 91 kg

189 cm 80 kg

Western Jets | VIC Metro
Tall Forward
196 cm 87 kg

Small Forward/ Wing
182 cm 83 kg

Big fan of Dowling and would be stoked if the Dogs get him at 39.

Haven’t seen heaps of him but what I have seen is all very promising, why’s he late second early third in the order and not higher?

Big fan of Dowling and would be stoked if the Dogs get him at 39.

Haven’t seen heaps of him but what I have seen is all very promising, why’s he late second early third in the order and not higher?
He's just one of those honest "what you see is what you get" types of footballers, there's not much of a standout trait with him athletically or with his disposal, a lot of his numbers come down to just hard work

4 talls Rusty Beam? 4!

Weddle - Third tall back
Barnett - Developing ruck
Keeler - Key Forward / ruck
Lemmey - Key forward or Key Back

Not too much overlap in my opinion. May as well have a huge swing for these high ceiling (low floor) talls that have dropped considerably.

We still have a decent midfield with Mitchell and Daicos moving in there. We also need to actually find out whether Reef and Fin Macrae can actually step up.

He's just one of those honest "what you see is what you get" types of footballers, there's not much of a standout trait with him athletically or with his disposal, a lot of his numbers come down to just hard work

Who's this kind of male player for next year and 2024?

Who's the sort of player the media won't get a stiffy over?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2023 AFL Academy squad announced

AFL Academy Squad released a little earlier than usual this year, 30 draft age players is certainly a lot more than I was expecting but it's resulted in a pretty well rounded squad for when they play a VFL side, and probably given opportunity to a few guys that project as high picks because of their potential but haven't put up heaps of dominant performances yet.

It's also meant that there's very little to criticise in terms of the selections for the squad, I reckon Ben Ridgway is still a little stiff given the performances he consistently put in across the year, but it might mean I have to go back and watch him more closely to spot the flaws than anything. From what I can tell all the bottom agers from this years academy have made it in again which might be a reason why the squads a little bit bigger than usual as well.

Close I guess, clean user of the footy and got some toe, but I don't think he's got enough of a contested game currently to translate to AFL level

I have a different view. I think once he gets some weight on him he will be able to impact at AFL level. We’ve seen at NAB league that he’s very slick. Clean, quick and has electricity when he gets his hands on the footy. Worse case he will be a cat B for hawthorn but I will not be surprised if he goes before their selection.

I have a different view. I think once he gets some weight on him he will be able to impact at AFL level. We’ve seen at NAB league that he’s very slick. Clean, quick and has electricity when he gets his hands on the footy. Worse case he will be a cat B for hawthorn but I will not be surprised if he goes before their selection.
If the draft had betting markets I'd put money on him not going in the National Draft, I'd say that Hawks Cat B is the most likely pathway for him onto a list, but Hawks might be just as confident having him at Box Hill for a year first to see how his development goes with a better weights program

If the draft had betting markets I'd put money on him not going in the National Draft, I'd say that Hawks Cat B is the most likely pathway for him onto a list, but Hawks might be just as confident having him at Box Hill for a year first to see how his development goes with a better weights program
Correct i wouldn't put money on it but there are always surprises :cool:

Hey PMBangers. You see much of possible NT aligned academy players for the suns?

Lloyd Johnston looked really good in his last VFL game as a quick, athletic half back. Although most suns fans haven’t seen much of him play otherwise.

Tedcastle is a name that has come up as a goal kicker, but don’t think our board has really seen any of him.

Thoughts on either of the two? Particularly tedcastle?

Hey PMBangers. You see much of possible NT aligned academy players for the suns?

Lloyd Johnston looked really good in his last VFL game as a quick, athletic half back. Although most suns fans haven’t seen much of him play otherwise.

Tedcastle is a name that has come up as a goal kicker, but don’t think our board has really seen any of him.

Thoughts on either of the two? Particularly tedcastle?
I think both are draftable, unsure on the Suns list spots though which may see neither added in the end, but a quick rundown on each;

Johnston as you mentioned is an athletic halfback, got really good speed, leap and agility which he taps into well on field to be an aggressive rebounder and interceptor, his disposal is pretty good as well, can sometimes struggle under pressure like most players but he unleashes some ripping kicks heading forward when he manages to get loose. I reckon he's worth a punt later on in the National Draft if he doesn't get to the Suns given the potential there when he bulks up, understands structure a little better and improves his endurance

Tedcastle is really your classic hard at it small forward, really uncompromising in his attack on the footy and ball carrier with almost over the top aggression sometimes, and of course has those usual small forward tricks in the forward 50 that help him hit the scoreboard, particularly his front and centre work. A bit more to iron out with him than Johnston though would be the main factor between the two

Mihocek is pretty effective for an 'honest' footballer. Those types are often underrated

View attachment 1555198

North Adelaide | SA
Balanced Midfielder
187 cm 80 kg

Claremont | WA
General Defender
187 cm 73 kg

Inside Midfielder
186 cm 86 kg

Small Defender
181 cm 72 kg

Clarence | TAS
General Defender
192 cm 82 kg

180 cm 82 kg

West Adelaide | NT
General Forward
187 cm 81 kg

West Adelaide | SA
Tall Forward
203 cm 89 kg

GWV Rebels | VIC Country
Tall Defender
197 cm 99 kg

GWV Rebels | VIC Country
185 cm 82 kg

West Adelaide | SA
Tall Forward
200 cm 95 kg

Small Utility
179 cm 77 kg

East Fremantle | WA
Small Defender
181 cm 77 kg

Sturt | SA
180 cm 74 kg

Small Forward
179 cm 79 kg

177 cm 71 kg

Wing/ Small Forward
182 cm 70 kg

Inside Midfielder
186 cm 83 kg

East Fremantle | WA
Small Utility
175 cm 74 kg

Ruck
206 cm 91 kg

189 cm 80 kg

Western Jets | VIC Metro
Tall Forward
196 cm 87 kg

Small Forward/ Wing
182 cm 83 kg

Can't see St Kilda passing on pick 43, especially if Van Es is still there. We need a genuine key defender as much as anything.

4 talls Rusty Beam? 4!
We have Daicos, McInness, Macrae, Draper and Harrison as developing mids already. While they’re obviously not all going to make it (aside from Daicos), we’re far more in need of genuine talls, so 4 wouldn’t actually be overkill tbh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back