Injury Polec missed the season but is on the road to recovery

Remove this Banner Ad

Our defensive structure is working great the past few weeks. There is no need to change it. It's not like Polec got injured this week. He's been out for the last 6 weeks. The changes structure-wise have already been made quite some time ago. Good to see Amon get 3 quarters of footy last night. Is becoming more and more comfortable at the AFL level, but he is cementing his position in the best 22 (for this season) for sure.
My suggestion was more like a prayer than a planned out and thoughtful strategy but I agree with everything you said :p Amon and Sam Gray in the same side seems a little small for me though. Polec had a bit of height and muscle on him and was able to break a tackle or two when get got off and running, but I don't believe that Amon and S. Gray can play that position exactly in the way that Kenny would like. Would have loved to see Amon play in that last quarter where we just locked it in our forward 50 and got a nice run on to finish off the game, but maybe that only happened because Amon was taken off :eek:

It's a stress fracture. It's not a simple break that heals and all of a sudden you're fine. You don't get a stress fracture unless the bone is placed under abnormal stress for a long period of time. It's not a once off whack to the foot that causes a fracture. If that was the case, it would be much easier to have a more precise prognosis. Considering the location of injury, there are a multitude of factors that need to be addressed to ensure such stress isn't going through his navicular once it's healed. Such factors include:
- shoe wear
- orthotics
- lower limb/lumbopelvic biomechanics (i.e. the lower limb kinetic chain)

It's not as cut and dry as you are making it out to be. I understand what you're angle is behind the positivity of healing, but at the same time this goes beyond just healing the bone. Prevention needs to be addressed, as does fitness etc. I already put a line through him as soon as I heard it was a navicular. Thought they were in denial saying 3 months, was very wishful.

Er, did you not read the quote that I posted which was from a medical website saying exactly what you're saying? I didn't pull that quote from thin air - it's a 3-9 month injury because you just don't know how it's going to heal.

All I'm saying is that two weeks ago, before he even had the scans to see whether it has been healing or not, he's basically already ruled himself out when he simply doesn't know. Neither the doctors, you or I - no one knows. It's that sort of problem. If the general prognosis is 3-9 months for most of these injuries, then listing it as a 3 month injury would be pretty much what you would do until you confirmed otherwise, wouldn't you say? They'll re-evaluate it in a few weeks and then make a call then.

I'm not hopeful of him returning this season either, but until they say this is how long it's gonna take, you would think you'd be saying you're hopeful of making it back this year.

This is just s**t.

I keep hearing about Egan and Trengove. Does anyone have any positive examples of recovery from this type of injury? :(

Egan never recovered, he retired.

Hopefully Polec will be fine, if we have to wait we wait.

This is just s**t.

I keep hearing about Egan and Trengove. Does anyone have any positive examples of recovery from this type of injury? :(

Shaun Higgins
Alex fasolo

Both of the above had fractures where I think Polec has had just soreness. Egan played through the soreness and eventually fractured which he is now sueing the afl for.

Problem is if scans come back with a fracture which would suggest his season is definitely over and probably requires surgery.

Er, did you not read the quote that I posted which was from a medical website saying exactly what you're saying? I didn't pull that quote from thin air - it's a 3-9 month injury because you just don't know how it's going to heal.

All I'm saying is that two weeks ago, before he even had the scans to see whether it has been healing or not, he's basically already ruled himself out when he simply doesn't know. Neither the doctors, you or I - no one knows. It's that sort of problem. If the general prognosis is 3-9 months for most of these injuries, then listing it as a 3 month injury would be pretty much what you would do until you confirmed otherwise, wouldn't you say? They'll re-evaluate it in a few weeks and then make a call then.

I'm not hopeful of him returning this season either, but until they say this is how long it's gonna take, you would think you'd be saying you're hopeful of making it back this year.

Without hearing him speak about it you have got the wrong impression. He mentioned a return would fall during finals in the best case scenario but he knows and we all know the worth of him returning in finals after a long spell of not running.

This is just s**t.

James Hird had it, won a Norm Smith the next year. Kristian Jaksch, Jack Grimes, Tayte Pears, Viv Michie all had it and played AFL afterwards.

Seems to be a popular injury at the moment. Jack Darling, Liam Sumner, Cameron Giles, Jaden Mcgrath all have it.

Can we amputate and give hi
James Hird had it, won a Norm Smith the next year. Kristian Jaksch, Jack Grimes, Tayte Pears, Viv Michie all had it and played AFL afterwards.

Seems to be a popular injury at the moment. Jack Darling, Liam Sumner, Cameron Giles, Jaden Mcgrath all have it.

More running barefoot on grass perhaps? :)

If he is confirmed out for the year who is the next possible guy on our list (playing ressies) that should be fast tracked to try to tack Polecs role?

Amon, and he already is being fast tracked.

So who do we replace him with for the rest of the year?

Amon has been performing his role to an extent. I'd love to see the club back Karl in and give him the rest of the year to develop. The more he plays, the more confidence he'll get and the more output he'll have.

Amon has been performing his role to an extent. I'd love to see the club back Karl in and give him the rest of the year to develop. The more he plays, the more confidence he'll get and the more output he'll have.

Amon, Young, Mitchell, Ebert, Broadbent, Hartlett.

There's a heap already in the 22 that could take on Polec's role (tho few would be). It may give more opportunity to an inside player like Ah Chee and Moore.

Edit: The most obvious player to replace Polec is Krakouer but I'm doubtful he'll have the fitness to be a regular in 2015.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems to be a popular injury at the moment.
Jack Darling, Liam Sumner, Cameron Giles, Jaden Mcgrath all have it.

It's the osteo pubis of the 2000's .

As someone who has had issues with stress fractures for years, this sucks as it can take so long to get right and there is always the fear it can go on you at any time.

Without hearing him speak about it you have got the wrong impression. He mentioned a return would fall during finals in the best case scenario but he knows and we all know the worth of him returning in finals after a long spell of not running.

They diagnosed it after Round 5, which was 4 weeks ago. Best case scenario, 8 more weeks (taking it to three months), which would take him to Round 17. 4 week mini-preseason to Round 20, SANFL Round 21 and 22, play against Fremantle Round 23. It could be done.

Of course, that's with everything going right. As I've said, I'm not holding my breath, but until you know, you don't know.

Could bring Krak back and move Broadbent to the wing. Hope we keep Amon in the side though.

They diagnosed it after Round 5, which was 4 weeks ago. Best case scenario, 8 more weeks (taking it to three months), which would take him to Round 17. 4 week mini-preseason to Round 20, SANFL Round 21 and 22, play against Fremantle Round 23. It could be done.

Of course, that's with everything going right. As I've said, I'm not holding my breath, but until you know, you don't know.

Yeah ... it seemed to be that finals was the nearest return if there were signs of healing at this check up in a week or two.

Well that's a pain in the frigging ... foot. Bad news for Port and The Polecat. I hope he makes a full recovery and plays in our back to back flag side next year. ;)

Oh and what he brings is irreplaceable at this point. He has an almost freakish inside/outside game. He can slice a side up slaloming through congestion as if he's a phantom and carve a team up on the outside with his run and impeccable delivery.

I watched the Dave Hughes spray recently and I'm sure Voss must be wondering if this is the same guy that was at Brisbane.

Yeah I think the same this pretty much guarantees amon's spot in our 22 for the remainder of the year unless he hits shocking form or something it's as close to as a like for like replacement albeit height and experience that would come in time.

pretty funny if we dropped gray for krakouer we essentially have upgraded both of them after round 12

Remove this Banner Ad

Back