Port's Fitness

Remove this Banner Ad

then don't go into IT support!
I have clients who are competent lawyers and other professionals who have trained themselves to open and edit word documents and use email but take them outside their comfort zone and they are completely lost, they simply have no understanding of how a computer works.
doesn't mean they aren't good lawyers or whatever.
people have different talents and abilities.
the fact it bothers you is about you, not them.

I know, I've just never understand how people can't simply figure it out through trial and error. Everyone is wired differently I guess.

Hinkley is extremely good at mind games. Doubt that Port is any better prepared than most other AFL teams.

I don't think people have been listening to what Hinkley has said: that is Port have recruited naturally good runners with huge tanks and trained them well. Port's does have an advantage over other sides in this area, but it is as much down to recruiting as training.

As long as they're not overdoing it... Judd was talking the other week about all the extras he did and how hard he pushed himself in his early years... And how that contributed to his OP. If port are doing 200x200s as mentioned earlier (doubt it's true) then in5 years expect half their list to have OP.

lol. so because Chris Judd pushed himself early in his career and later developed problems, the same thing will happen to "half our list".. despite completely different (better?) training methods and facilities and coaching..

I bet if Judd was in our system we would've told him not to push himself too hard like he did, we would've maintained him properly.

I know, I've just never understand how people can't simply figure it out through trial and error. Everyone is wired differently I guess.
indeed. some people seem to think if they press the wrong button the computer will blow up or something.To some extent its a function of age but not entirely which always fascinates me. it might as well be witchcraft for all the understanding some have. its quite bizarre but it keeps me in a job so I'm not complaining :)

lol. so because Chris Judd pushed himself early in his career and later developed problems, the same thing will happen to "half our list".. despite completely different (better?) training methods and facilities and coaching..

I bet if Judd was in our system we would've told him not to push himself too hard like he did, we would've maintained him properly.

Even though it's only a decade or so, I think everyone has a much greater understanding of managing/balancing training loads these days than in the early-mid 2000s, when OP was quite common in young footballers.

To attribute Port's aerobic rise purely to a great fitness program is a bit simplistic. Sure, having a fit team full of well-drilled runners is a foundation to our hard-running, break the lines gamestyle, but Port's program is not making Port head and shoulders fitter than every other side out there.

Our gameplan itself and how Hinkley has us playing is designed to benefit speed and gut runners. Look at yesterday's match- we subbed off our only recognised ruckman to bring in another midfielder, against Aaron Sandilands of all people, leaving the ruck duties to Jackson Trengove- and we scored the first 35 points of that quarter. That's not improved fitness, that's having an additional midfielder on the park.

Hinkley's also recruited players specifically to suit our gameplan. From our crop last year we recruited the highlighted:

20-metre sprint
1. Jonathon Marsh (2.78 seconds)
2. Nathan Freeman (2.82)
3. Daniel Flynn (2.83)
4. James Siciliy (2.84)
5. Karl Amon (2.88)
6. Jack Leslie (2.90)
7. Richard Bourne (2.92)
8. Tom Cutler (2.93)
9. Jake Barrett (2.94)
10.Darcy Byrne-Jones (2.94)

as well as Jarman Impey, Matt White and Jared Polec, all footballers with elite pace and aerobic capacity. It isn't coincidence that we're being perceived to have elite fitness when you consider this kind of targetted recruitment and Hinkley said as much in an interview today. While knowledgeable fitness staff will of course give clubs a boost, it can only improve a player within his natural limitations.

Can we please close all these over the top port threads ?

As a supporter It makes me feel uncomfortable and it's a little unwarranted to be honest. I'm pumped were doing well, but every decent team we've won against hasn't been at full strength by a long shot. We have been darn close to full strength in every game this year (bar GWS).

It's round 8. Can we all just chill the fook out for a bit. If we get to round 18 and we've still only dropped 1 game by all means pump up our tyres but it's a bit early for this fanfare.

Because it makes him look like an idiot, when we're on the Internet and it's so easy to check spelling of anything.

It's a common thing that people do on discussion forums, and I've never understood it.

You bought the name up originally though...

I've gone past my internet usage = connection slow and I am also in a blackspot = unpredictable results

Can't believe we're still arguing over this 200x200 thing. It's been pretty well documented that we run approximately 80~90kms per week in the pre season. 200x200's is literally a marathon. Burgess sets a bloody hard program no doubt, but he's not going to make them run half their entire weekly load in a single session. Following Hitchcock on social media, the guy likes a joke and a gee up, so I have no doubt it's either that or a typo.

I can absolutely say that is bollocks. Tredders did some smoke and mirrors with the 80-90km week thing. A big week at any afl club during preseason is about 50kms, maybe a touch over for the exceptional runners. Your correct in the players and ex players, coaches etc hamming this up. Every afl player would know its bullshit.

They are playing on a modified ketogenic diet. They are primed to run on fat ketones which the body has an almost unlimited supply of as opposed to glucose which is provided by carbohydrates. With glucose, as soon as your muscle and liver supply runs out (there is only so much carbohydrate you can physically eat) you run out of energy. Ketones are created and used for energy by eating high fat meals (more calorie dense) and in times of stress (4th quarter) on the body, your body fat is burnt for energy. It also helps with mental clarity and making good decisions.

FYI Shane Watson, Dave Warner and a few other cricketers are doing it as well.

Not 100% on that mate, I've been about the club of late and they smash redbulls and lollies like there going out of fashion.
For what its worth though, I'm a big fan of this diet - noticed a big improvement in my peaks and troughs of energy and motivation. Also seem to be able to push through the second half of sessions better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has a point. 200 * 200 mts. sounds......................unlikely at best.

Average run would be what 30 seconds? Let's just say, even though that's highly unlikely.
They'd want at least twice that to recover. (at least) So 1 minute.

Total of 1.5 minutes * 200 = 300 minutes.
So you were there 5 hours watching this? How long did it really take?

Just can't imagine the bigger guys getting close to doing this but if they can........Port can't be beat.
They wouldn't be anywhere near 30 seconds. They would struggle to do 8 in 30 seconds with that rest, let alone 200.

Not sure if this has been said but while I think they are the fittest team in the comp I think that having so many players that can play as genuine midfielders helps as they are able to rotate so many players through the middle throughout the game giving them more time to rest.

I know most teams rotate players through the middle but Port have players like Wingard and Gray who are probably included in a list of the top 5 small forwards in the comp at the moment that are also gun mids as well as most of their other midfielders being able to rest forward and still be dangerous and hit the scoreboard.

New fitness guy has probably helped immensely too. Will be interesting to see whether or not they can maintain their intensity for the whole season, I hope they do because they've been the best team to watch and I couldn't stand seeing Geelong or Hawthorn winning the flag again, some of their supporters are too cocky for their own good
That's a good point. Sort of like the 'Barcelona Model' in the height of the tica-taca days. They basically played a solid back 4 (plus keeper) and then had 7 players, all attacking mids that could rotate around and switch positions at will.

I don't think people have been listening to what Hinkley has said: that is Port have recruited naturally good runners with huge tanks and trained them well. Port's does have an advantage over other sides in this area, but it is as much down to recruiting as training.
Hmm! Think you'll find most clubs have been big on increasing leg speed and you have been amongst them. Just think the mystique surrounding Darren Burgess is just that. For the last few years it was David Buttifant. However his move to Carlton illustrates it's more about the cattle you have than any special knowledge or application.

Hmm! Think you'll find most clubs have been big on increasing leg speed and you have been amongst them. Just think the mystique surrounding Darren Burgess is just that. For the last few years it was David Buttifant. However his move to Carlton illustrates it's more about the cattle you have than any special knowledge or application.

There is difference between leg speed and endurance running - Port's focus is the latter and that Matt White was Richmond's best endurance runner and was not in the top 6 when he arrived at Port illustrates the point. In any case, the point is academic - what is not academic is that Port consistently outrun other sides in the AFL in the 2nd half of games. The facts speak for themselves in the end.

100 x 100m sprints is definitely doable, but I can't imagine anyone looking forward to it. This would be extremely difficult and taxing on the body and mind. I'm no footballer, so perhaps there is some benefit to doing so many, but to my mind, any benefit would be far outweighed by the negative toll on the body and lengthy recovery time required afterwards. I would think 10 would be ample and 20 would be tthe absolute maximum you would want to attempt to get any real benefit out of them.

As for 200 x 200m, there is no way known they would be doing anywhere near that. Absolute rubbish!

In swimming we would do 40x100s butterfly max every monday and 70-100k a week. 100x100's looks about as bad as that was, so probably explains why they are so fit.

Was a competitive swimmer in another lifetime so I know all about that kind of training schedule.
What it did show though is how my body could push through the pain.

There is difference between leg speed and endurance running - Port's focus is the latter and that Matt White was Richmond's best endurance runner and was not in the top 6 when he arrived at Port illustrates the point. In any case, the point is academic - what is not academic is that Port consistently outrun other sides in the AFL in the 2nd half of games. The facts speak for themselves in the end.
Endurance is part of the process of recruitment too if you follow the testing program established by the AFL. The primary reason for us grabbing Blitzavs was his endurance running. It's not something only you do.

Still consider it to be a Hinkley myth. Just as the stuff Collingwood perpetuated about Buttifant has proven to be. But if you choose to swallow it all strength to your arm.

Endurance is part of the process of recruitment too if you follow the testing program established by the AFL. The primary reason for us grabbing Blitzavs was his endurance running. It's not something only you do.

Still consider it to be a Hinkley myth. Just as the stuff Collingwood perpetuated about Buttifant has proven to be. But if you choose to swallow it all strength to your arm.

I swallow the facts - Port are the strongest second half side in the AFL - the reasons why are academic.

Was a competitive swimmer in another lifetime so I know all about that kind of training schedule.
What it did show though is how my body could push through the pain.
You can definitely push through the pain to an extent you don't realise, however once your legs are gone in running, you're gone, but in swimming and cycling it seems easier to keep pushing with ridiculous levels of lactic acid I've heard, but couldn't tell you about swimming from experience as I am completely terrible at it.

Nice, any good resources you would recommend?
Just google "LCHF recipes", theres a good intro guide at http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

A good watch if you have genuine interest.

It honestly comes down to eating sensibly. Cut sugary crap out of your diet, eat vegies that grow ABOVE the ground (non starchy) and eat more good fats (i.e those in butter, dairy etc).

Bacon and eggs for breakfast, eat fish, meats (dont need to trim the fat off), steer clear of bread, pasta, rice, potatoes.

Snack on things like Almonds.

Last edited:
You can definitely push through the pain to an extent you don't realise, however once your legs are gone in running, you're gone, but in swimming and cycling it seems easier to keep pushing with ridiculous levels of lactic acid I've heard, but couldn't tell you about swimming from experience as I am completely terrible at it.

Lactic acid isn't so much the problem. Lactic acid will eventually cause muscles to fail, but hard training such as swimmers/AFL footballers do help build up lactic acid tolerance, meaning they can go for longer and recover quicker. over 90% of lactic acid can be removed from the muscles in 90-180seconds. The problem is 'hitting the wall' where you completely run out of muscle glycogen. What this essentially means (from memory) is that instead of breaking down carbohydrates and glucose to create energy in the muscles your body instead has to rely dominantly on bodyfat. Breaking down bodyfat to use as energy for muscles is very hard on the body and a slow process. Hence, when this happens people will often collapse, barely be able to move. I know I hit it once 1450meters into a 1500meter ocean swim. Once I reached the beach all I had to do was run to the finish and I would have won the race, but I could only just walk (ended up 2nd, cramped up insanely after that race heh).

It's a unique experience hitting the wall that most people probably haven't experienced. It is quite likely some of the port guys hit the wall during these mythical 100x100s. But really there is no difference in what sport you do, eventually you will reach a point where your body simply fails.

Just google "LCHF recipes", theres a good intro guide at http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

A good watch if you have genuine interest.

It honestly comes down to eating sensibly. Cut sugary crap out of your diet, eat vegies that grow ABOVE the ground (non starchy) and eat more good fats (i.e those in butter, dairy etc).

Bacon and eggs for breakfast, eat fish, meats (dont need to trim the fat off), steer clear of bread, pasta, rice, potatoes.

Snack on things like Almonds.

Cheers, thanks mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back