Review Positives (Ha!) and Negatives vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Now I know you were his sponsor ;), they were pretty bad. Would often kick floaters when short passing.
Hardly ever sprayed them like Brown though. Not saying Dalz was skillful, but everyone here just assumes it was his kicking that kept him out of the side.

Hardly ever sprayed them like Brown though. Not saying Dalz was skillful, but everyone here just assumes it was his kicking that kept him out of the side.

No, not at all. He was just cut from the same cloth as a lot of our other mids. Good endurance but nothing really good about his game is why he got over looked.

Our stupid decisions with the ball cost us forward, nothing else. The coach can't kick the ball for them as well. As I've pointed out a million times to you but you dont seem to understand, what's the point of having your players manned up in the forward line and never seeing the ball because the opposition is just running it easily out of the contests? You should hang with Woosha as you both have the same gam plan, do nothing and hope things get better. ;)

Sorry, but you "pointing things out" doesn't magically make them facts, even if you do it a million times as you claim it doesn't make your views any more valid. You say Richmond were "running it easily out of the contests" while I saw them running it easily out of defence in the last quarter. I have my opinion, you yours. And I never said that that we didn't need to change things up, that simply you trying to point score without a shred of evidence. I cited one particular move by Simpson that I thought played right into the Tiger's hands. You need to get over this and accept that others may just hold opinions different from yours.

Sorry, but you "pointing things out" doesn't magically make them facts, even if you do it a million times as you claim it doesn't make your views any more valid. You say Richmond were "running it easily out of the contests" while I saw them running it easily out of defence in the last quarter. I have my opinion, you yours. And I never said that that we didn't need to change things up, that simply you trying to point score without a shred of evidence. I cited one particular move by Simpson that I thought played right into the Tiger's hands. You need to get over this and accept that others may just hold opinions different from yours.

Haha yeah thanks mate. Go check the contested ball stats in the first few quarters particularly and then tell me it's my opinion. You saw them running it out of defence because of our bad use of the ball, not as a result of playing an extra around the contest. If the players made smarter decisions with the footy in hand, there would be no issue with the extra around the contest. Many sides do the same with great effect, but hey, you know more coz you saw them running it out of defence a couple of times. ;)

The biggest negative (and this has been brewing all season but I think now confirmed) is we are one of the furthest teams in the competition from a flag. There might be 7 sides below us on the ladder but I feel the Giants, Dogs, Saints and Tigers all have more upside than us. I desperately want to be proven wrong but I really feel our list has been left in a deplorable condition. It's redicolously unbalanced (we have about 15 medium sized defenders FFS!!!), the most important part of the field is rubbish, and despite have some some ridiculous talent in the forward line how often do we seem them all click in the one match? Even just seeing two forwards have a great game is rare for the talent they have. I'm really hoping the Gov can be the fix here as he provides the genuine second big bodied forward which allows Darling to play the role that is perfect for him.

Last edited:
Haha yeah thanks mate. Go check the contested ball stats in the first few quarters particularly and then tell me it's my opinion. You saw them running it out of defence because of our bad use of the ball, not as a result of playing an extra around the contest. If the players made smarter decisions with the footy in hand, there would be no issue with the extra around the contest. Many sides do the same with great effect, but hey, you know more coz you saw them running it out of defence a couple of times. ;)

You really don't get it, do you? I NEVER said they didn't win the contested ball stats, yet again you prattle on about things I never claimed. Can you do me the favour of commenting on what I do say rather than what you imagine I say, it's becoming a real habit of yours?

You claim they ran it out of defence because of poor ball use rather than than having an extra man, but yet again that's simply your opinion. I'll tell you again in case you missed it first time, you are not the font of all knowledge no matter what you think and you do yourself little credit by your insistence that if I don't concur with you then I'm wrong.

You really don't get it, do you? I NEVER said they didn't win the contested ball stats, yet again you prattle on about things I never claimed. Can you do me the favour of commenting on what I do say rather than what you imagine I say, it's becoming a real habit of yours?

You claim they ran it out of defence because of poor ball use rather than than having an extra man, but yet again that's simply your opinion. I'll tell you again in case you missed it first time, you are not the font of all knowledge no matter what you think and you do yourself little credit by your insistence that if I don't concur with you then I'm wrong.

It's not my opinion only, it's the opinion of our coach and the other coaches that use the same game plan, however you know better. Perhaps you can tell us how manning the guy up in our forward line was going to win the ball in the ball ups after we were being smashed there? How were we going to kick goals without getting it down there due to being beaten convincingly in the contested ball?

It's not my opinion only, it's the opinion of our coach and the other coaches that use the same game plan, however you know better. Perhaps you can tell us how manning the guy up in our forward line was going to win the ball in the ball ups after we were being smashed there? How were we going to kick goals without getting it down there due to being beaten convincingly in the contested ball?

Well, if the coaching panel agree with you then it must be correct! Though this seems to conflict with earlier opinion on Worsfold where you judged him as wrongly sticking to a game plan that wasn't working. Tell me again how the premiership coach is worthy of your scorn, but the first year coach has got it spot on. Oh, that's right, depends on whether their strategies concur with yours or not. Perhaps we should simply make you coach?

As for how we were going to kick goals I would have urged more direct play, most of those bombs came after getting ourselves under pressure by over use of the ball. Though we won most ruck taps they simply pressured a turn over then flicked back to what seemed a permanently loose man 5 metres behind the pack, too easy. I couldn't understand why Tunbridge didn't start the last quarter, he'd only been on for effectively the third and looked more likely to do something than most of them. I wouldn't have had Butler in the team, he and Ellis are clones and Butler's best days are behind him. Wilson or Bennell would have been in my team. This would have been the perfect time to get Darling in to the middle. But at the end of the day I'm not the coach, he makes the calls and gets judged accordingly. Or at least should be, but because you agree with him that seems to be unacceptable.

you mean those key tall pillars that get shut down every game now?
yep, that works well for us...

Well well well, look at you. And you chew US out over being negative? Hysterical too wasn't it?

Looks like you've finally taken off your "come on guys we're going places!" glasses.

Also Josh Kennedy's game has gone down the toilet.
Cant mark well, doesn't position himself well in contests and is selfish with ball in hand.
No forward would know what the * to do with our midfield delivery. This way,that way, run stop? who the * knows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Positive

Nic nat best game for a while
McKenzie Been sensational all year, if things are right in the world he should win our F & B
Shuey battled his guts out, too bad others didn't show any ticker.

Negatives

Smith playing for his career and dishes up a huge 4 posi effort, serious lack of heart.
Constant bombing to the forward line, how does anyone expect our forwards to have a chance when the kick suits the defenders.
I'm flying to Adelaide next week to watch us get smashed :(
Bennel not getting a game in those conditions

negatives.
playing cox-playing 2 ruckmen was a shite idea
no ticker from most of the players
kennedy looked second rate again
darling got beaten time and time again
sheed-I wouldn't play him again this year.play the guys on the chopping block to see what they can do

positives
emac and schofield played well

my garden is better for the rain

No forward would know what the **** to do with our midfield delivery. This way,that way, run stop? who the **** knows.

He has played some good footy playing with that same midfield in prior years. It doesn't help (the poor delivery) but he can't get near it even if he tried at the moment, and he still burnt teammates last night being selfish.

Well well well, look at you. And you chew US out over being negative? Hysterical too wasn't it?

Looks like you've finally taken off your "come on guys we're going places!" glasses.

i love the way you and smotie stick together like 2 peas in a pod.. the thing is i'm not pushing an agenda..i still believe this team will turn around, with a midfield shake up. yes i'm frustrated with how our forwards are being shut down regularly, who isnt, or receive panic bombs into their arc..but i dont trot out the same negative agenda week in week out..and i dont promote the "come on guys were going places" mantra..its pretty apparent we're not, and wont be till the coach rattles the cage at seasons end, shakes out the midfield and reassembles this group..
because i choose a generally positive attitude, doesnt make me a fanboi (a bit old for that) and doesnt mean i cant criticise when i choose to. you and your coven WERE hysterical over lycett..hows that working out..he wouldve made a huge difference last night..is he still leaving us.
(basically i dont come in here and head kick at every oppurtunity)(what some people say on here about players, they would never say to their faces, and thats just plain gutless)

i love the way you and smotie stick together like 2 peas in a pod.. the thing is i'm not pushing an agenda..i still believe this team will turn around, with a midfield shake up. yes i'm frustrated with how our forwards are being shut down regularly, who isnt, or receive panic bombs into their arc..but i dont trot out the same negative agenda week in week out..and i dont promote the "come on guys were going places" mantra..its pretty apparent we're not, and wont be till the coach rattles the cage at seasons end, shakes out the midfield and reassembles this group..
because i choose a generally positive attitude, doesnt make me a fanboi (a bit old for that) and doesnt mean i cant criticise when i choose to. you and your coven WERE hysterical over lycett..hows that working out..he wouldve made a huge difference last night..is he still leaving us.
(basically i dont come in here and head kick at every oppurtunity)(what some people say on here about players, they would never say to their faces, and thats just plain gutless)

Fence sitter!!!! :p

Can't help it, he posts what he likes. Look at the way Tracker and Yourmumluvsbigcox stick together, it's truly disgusting.

How in any way are we hysterical over Lycett not being played? I asked people in that thread to tell me why exactly we were playing Cox and nobody could do it. I'm not fussed if Lycett leaves, I'd certainly understand why, if it happened.

At least my opinion is consistent. I don't perk up after scraping over the line for a win against a depleted lions team like all you gullible fools did, and prance around like we're still a finals chance. I for one have gotten used to what this team has been dishing up for the last couple years so although it may appear negative, it's actually just saying it like it is.

I'll perk up and jump on your fanboy train when I see some actual change around the place, instead of just talk from the club.

Can't help it, he posts what he likes. Look at the way Tracker and Yourmumluvsbigcox stick together, it's truly disgusting.

How in any way are we hysterical over Lycett not being played? I asked people in that thread to tell me why exactly we were playing Cox and nobody could do it. I'm not fussed if Lycett leaves, I'd certainly understand why, if it happened.

At least my opinion is consistent. I don't perk up after scraping over the line for a win against a depleted lions team like all you gullible fools did, and prance around like we're still a finals chance. I for one have gotten used to what this team has been dishing up for the last couple years so although it may appear negative, it's actually just saying it like it is.

I'll perk up and jump on your fanboy train when I see some actual change around the place, instead of just talk from the club.

(Couldn't resist it) :p

Well, if the coaching panel agree with you then it must be correct! Though this seems to conflict with earlier opinion on Worsfold where you judged him as wrongly sticking to a game plan that wasn't working. Tell me again how the premiership coach is worthy of your scorn, but the first year coach has got it spot on. Oh, that's right, depends on whether their strategies concur with yours or not. Perhaps we should simply make you coach?

As for how we were going to kick goals I would have urged more direct play, most of those bombs came after getting ourselves under pressure by over use of the ball. Though we won most ruck taps they simply pressured a turn over then flicked back to what seemed a permanently loose man 5 metres behind the pack, too easy. I couldn't understand why Tunbridge didn't start the last quarter, he'd only been on for effectively the third and looked more likely to do something than most of them. I wouldn't have had Butler in the team, he and Ellis are clones and Butler's best days are behind him. Wilson or Bennell would have been in my team. This would have been the perfect time to get Darling in to the middle. But at the end of the day I'm not the coach, he makes the calls and gets judged accordingly. Or at least should be, but because you agree with him that seems to be unacceptable.

The Premiership coach was stale after too many years of coaching. He was also a bad game day coach as he was very inflexible when things weren't going our way, not to mention he was in charge of arguably the best midfield the game has ever seen. A coach with a little more tactical nous would of had two Premierships with that midfield. Woosha was a great motivator and a legend of the club, but he's no super coach. I'm not going to go into what successes I've had with coaching on a public forum but I've done it enough to understand what Simpson was doing and why he did it. I'm not in favour of everything he's doing and if you'd read enough of my posts you'd see that I don't just blindly go along with the coach or club.

Playing direct is fine when you can get your hands on the footy around the stoppage, which you don't seem to understand. With one less man around the ball ups Richmond would of (and did early on) have an easier time of moving the ball away from the stoppage. Moving the ball direct still doesn't help when we kick it directly to Chaplin, we needed to be using the ball better in who we kicked it to.
Butlers not the best player in the side at the moment but he does have a bit more poise than most and he wasn't that bad out there. I agree that Bennell should of been in the team but if we're talking about team selections Cox should never have been in that side in the first place for a rainy night. I also would of had Cripps rotating through the midfield over McGinnity, but they weren't selected so we had to make do with what we have. You can go on blaming the current coach if you like but we were even worse with Woosha last year.

Fence sitter!!!! :p

well, i'm bound to be something on here!!?
at least youre passionate smotie. (;

i think we've all gotten use to what the team is dishing up, and we all know exactly how it is, its not hard to see. its not rocket science, blind freddy can see it. its how you deal with it that matters.
there are very passionate supporters who get mistaken and seem to think they own the club and the players, they are so emotionally invested in something that is only a small part of reality. football vs. the rest of the real daily world. it can be quite irrational. theres also alot of male testosterone between the ears around the place, not unlike what Vickery suffers from.

like i said, i'm way too old to be a fanboy..a cliche used for anyone showing some positivity, its as cliched as a negative naysayer claiming to be a realist, the first line of defence they fall back on.
and i wont attack you personally just because we dont agree on topics.
fwiw i gave up finals awhile back.
i'm not sure why you follow WCE and footy, i perked up after a Lions win because my team won, and thats always a good thing where i come from.????????

but its obvious the team is in a bad way, needing changes, going through transitional times. how long this will take, and how we will emerge no-one knows. could be next season, could be two or a few years. either way its a journey we're on, and i'd rather take the small positives along the way.
you knock yourself out doing what you do, and good luck to you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back