Autopsy Post match discussion Pies vs Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Goldsack back was a great move and should be locked in, Seedsman after a not touching it in the first quarter on a wing switched with Langdon to half back and was a telling move, without Sidebottom Langdon is our best winger with his defensive positioning telling I thought and Seedsman did not look lost anymore like he did on the wing and played well at half back for 3 quarters.
Seeds took a couple of great grabs either on the last line or intercept marks. I thought he got better as the match wore on. Didn't have a lot to do defensively as the ball wasn't down there much.

Gold sack needs to play back and I like him kicking out long from full back.

Varcoe playing well up forward was the big positive of the night for mine. We have a massive deficiency in that position and if he can fill it to a satisfactory level then it makes losing Lumumba a win

The other positive was that Goldsack kicked out very well from full back. I'm not sure if it was more to do with crap St Kilda defending but that's the easiest we've had it with kick outs for a long time. Still not convinced on him playing in defence though.

Must say I haven't been the biggest fan of Ramsay ever but he impressed me every time he got involved last night.

He was solid last week but better last night. He seems to be growing in confidence. Moves really well.

Toovey receives plenty of criticism. We all know he can't kick. But everything else about him is just so damn good. If he could just become an adequate kick he would be an absolute champion. Sadly he has had plenty of time to fix this so I feel it is what it is.

I don't think he has ever been this bad at kicking barring his very early games. In our good years he was never a good kick but this year his kicking has been absolutely diabolical.

No cheap shot. I would have been so disappointed if we had of picked him up and that was his first game for us. We have been spoilt here at the pies with some fantastic debuts over the years. Ok he worked his way into the game late, it was wet, you come in at the very last minute as a replacement for your captain. Its not the ideal prep for anyone. Just calling it how i saw it. Not saying he is going to be a bust or anything. But did remind me of what we did to Jack Watts a few years ago.
KPF players rarely shine early in their first year. He had big shoes to fill, and was really given an impossible task for someone so young.

Very happy with this win, especially after many had us losing. We have scrounged another win, once more against weak opposition, and now have 2. Next week we will be playing a good side, and will be found out a bit, but as we did against Adelaide, we will have to fight it out. We will not get away with some of the sloppy things that did not actually bite us this time.
The ease with which Saint Kilda players got into scoring positions in the first quarter is a real worry. Their inability to bring the ball forward after that disguised a weakness in our back half. There is still a lot of work to do here.
Our second tier midfield was excellent, along with Swan and Pendlebury. It would be a mistake to expect this to continue when the top two are tagged by good players, as they will be next week. A monster effort will be needed.
The forwards looked so much better with Gault there. How much effect he had on separating the double teamers from Cloke, compared to the low pressure delivery from the midfield is very hard to judge. More evidence needed.
Toovey's kicking is a real worry. The bombs under pressure don't concern me, but the misdirected passes when he is free are killers, as they put the team out of position. He is too good at every other aspect of the game to leave out, but some running patterns have to be created so that he does not often have to try to make these passes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No cheap shot. I would have been so disappointed if we had of picked him up and that was his first game for us. We have been spoilt here at the pies with some fantastic debuts over the years. Ok he worked his way into the game late, it was wet, you come in at the very last minute as a replacement for your captain. Its not the ideal prep for anyone. Just calling it how i saw it. Not saying he is going to be a bust or anything. But did remind me of what we did to Jack Watts a few years ago.

Also highlights that it is potentially foolhardy to blood kids without some time in the VFL first. Everyone is keen to see the kids, but let's make sure they are ready before throwing them to the lions.

Am I the only person who thinks Broomhead plays nothing like Sidebottom
I won't go so far as to say that Broomy is nothing like Sidebottom, because the fact is that they are both masters of finding a brilliant short option with clever chip kicks. Put that together with their similar physical dimensions then they become footy twins.

However, my belief is that Broomy brings something that Sidebottom hasn't yet, which is just bucketloads of class. A great performance by Sidebottom is workmanlike, whereas Broomhead might get less possessions in a game but still cut up the opposition twice as much. This is not to discount the importance of Sidey, but I suppose I'm pretty excited about the best the Broomhead has to offer.

Another thing which Broomhead doesn't really do at the moment is hold onto the ball. Sidebottom hardly burns a line down the middle of the ground, but he is more willing to run and carry. Maybe Broomhead will be more confident to do that over time.

But they have another striking similarity...quaint surnames which give the puerile (like me) a small chuckle from time to time.

If you're under the impression that we are any good after last nights game, well, we're not. We're an 8th - 12th team.

cool-story-bro.jpg

If you're under the impression that we are any good after last nights game, well, we're not. We're an 8th - 12th team.

I think some people were probably thinking we were bottom 4 after last week, and last night just proves that yes, we're an 8-12th side :p

That being said with our easy draw, if we can demolish the bottom 4 teams like that every time we play we should sneak into the 8.

Such a happy thread! Such contented and appreciative barrackers. I thought we offered great vocal support all night. That limping goal from Dwyer only got over the line by the force of our collective breath. And Dane Swan - I can't find the words to convey the depth of my admiration & respect for this champion.

Something that caught my eye was how the Collingwood cheersquad signs were correctly punctuated.

TBH, It looked a bit incongruous seeing a sign handpainted with " Bucks' team " on it.

Do you reckon these signs were legit? Or evidence that some PR company has been engaged to improve the image of our coach? :p

Grundy has been so impressive this year

Best game I've seen Rama play - strong over the ball and was calm even when in trouble

Best game I've seen Broomy play - just needs to be a little more sure with taking possession of the ball and his delivery over short distances
Loved that wherever the ball was, Broomy was

Crisp, esp Qs 1-2, was great

Langdon was in everything

Edit. The Ox - fantastic game

Jesus when did Steelo suddenly turn into a plodder? Workmanlike is definitely not what he brings to the table - he's cut many a team up with his hard running and silky skills but, like a lot of the team, those skills have fallen away somewhat in recent times. He's not Pendles obviously, but he's been a high class foil for our bigger bodied mids for a long time now.

I thought you were going to play video games this year instead of watching the Pies?

Just got off Killer Instinct.

Haven't been to the G yet this year. If it makes you feel better, I"m not going to ANZAC Day for the first time since the first one.

But they have another striking similarity...quaint surnames which give the puerile (like me) a small chuckle from time to time.

For a fellow puerile-minded, they also share names which reference body parts.:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back