Rank the non-Victorian derbies in terms of interest

Remove this Banner Ad

Rivalry of Port & Adelaide seems far bigger (at least with the supporters) than WCE & Dockers.
Probably because it's a genuine rivalry that has existed for over 100 years. Port are the Collingwood of South Australia in that you either love them or hate them and the Crows represent the remaining SANFL clubs. If you take a look back in history you'll find that in 1990, despite all SANFL clubs agreeing not to join the AFL until at least 1993, Port had secret meetings with Oakley and co. in an attempt to join the AFL in 1991. Once it all got out and became public knowledge the rest of the SANFL clubs took legal action to stop Port from entering the AFL and the Crows were born shortly after. Six years later Port hits the big time and it's Port vs the rest of SA all over again.

The remaining non-Victorian derbies are just manufactured without any real history.

Probably because it's a genuine rivalry that has existed for over 100 years. Port are the Collingwood of South Australia in that you either love them or hate them and the Crows represent the remaining SANFL clubs. If you take a look back in history you'll find that in 1990, despite all SANFL clubs agreeing not to join the AFL until at least 1993, Port had secret meetings with Oakley and co. in an attempt to join the AFL in 1991. Once it all got out and became public knowledge the rest of the SANFL clubs took legal action to stop Port from entering the AFL and the Crows were born shortly after. Six years later Port hits the big time and it's Port vs the rest of SA all over again.

The remaining non-Victorian derbies are just manufactured without any real history.
It's still not an authentic rivalry like Port v Norwood was.. I get more excited when we play the big victorian clubs here tbh

It's still not an authentic rivalry like Port v Norwood was.. I get more excited when we play the big victorian clubs here tbh
It's as good as it's going to get for a non-Victorian rivalry between two clubs that have spent just under 20 years in the league. Let's not forget, this is the Victorian competition after all. We're lucky that some people consider the rivalry to be genuine because I get the feeling the fans in WA, NSW and QLD don't really feel that way. If anything, they want to get behind their neighbours when they are doing well.

It's as good as it's going to get for a non-Victorian rivalry between two clubs that have spent just under 20 years in the league. Let's not forget, this is the Victorian competition after all. We're lucky that some people consider the rivalry to be genuine because I get the feeling the fans in WA, NSW and QLD don't really feel that way. If anything, they want to get behind their neighbours when they are doing well.
Not sure WCE & Freo fans feel that way lol

Adelaide v Port easy. Genuine history, genuine hatred, Adelaide Oval= awesome atmosphere. Nothing else like it in the AFL, even the old school Vic rivalries are a bit mellow these days.

Derbies were pretty good at the turn of the century when there was a bit of spice in them. Bland affairs now though it must be said, because the onfield fire has died down somewhat and West Coast and Freo fans don't really hate each other to the same extent as Adelaide and Port.

Was disappointed there was no derby GF though, could have reignited things somewhat.

Other two aren't even in the conversation yet, but might become more relevant if there is a time when both teams involved are at the top end of the ladder. Have doubts given GWS is situated in an area where AFL is about as popular as a fork in the eye. Needs some converts from Wanderers to let off some flares in Spotless :p

Aye man in the last derby there was a fractured jaw and some bite marks. It wasn't exactly the demolition derby but still it will make the next one interesting for sure.

Not sure WCE & Freo fans feel that way lol
WA is somewhere between QLD and NSW not really caring and SA's bad blood. I'd be interested to hear how many people living in WA got behind Freo when they made their first GF in 2013 and how many Freo fans were pulling for the Eagles last year in the GF.

This should be interesting. Rank your interest from 1st to 4th. Quick stats that may help:

Western Derby
Games: 42 (no finals)
West Coast wins: 22
Fremantle wins: 20
Most games: Matthew Pavlich (32)
Most goals: Matthew Pavlich (56)

Showdown
Games: 39 (1 final)
Port Adelaide wins: 21
Adelaide wins: 18
Most games: Kane Cornes/Andrew McLeod (27)
Most goals: Warren Tredrea (30)

QClash
Games: 10 (no finals)
Brisbane wins: 6
Gold Coast wins: 4
Most games: Jarrod Harbrow/Tom Rockliff (10)
Most goals: Harley Bennell (13)

Sydney Derby
Games: 8 (no finals)
Sydney wins: 7
GWS wins: 1
Most games: 7 players tied (8)
Most goals: Jeremy Cameron (16)

1. South Fremantle vs east Fremantle
2. GWS vs Sydney
3. Freo vs west coast canaries
4. Q clash
5. showdown (mullet vs mullet, who cares?!)

The fact that the OP asks the question about DERBIES (pronounced derbies, not darbies) should be an indication of the level of esteem!

Last edited:
Rivalry of Port & Adelaide seems far bigger (at least with the supporters) than WCE & Dockers.
Eagles and Dockers fans have a modicum of intelligence and respect for each other. In the same way that lighting flares and starting brawls is not 'passion', constant s**t talking and failure to ever act civilly between fans does not make a bigger rivalry, it makes you children shitting in the sandpit. It's just a game you SA guys, relax a little hey. And stop pretending this is an age old battle between Port and the rest of SA, it's two franchises competing from the early and mid 90s.

The WA rivalry is far better because it's passionate at the game, but can be light hearted banter outside it without turning all Ramsgate-y. The main Vic rivalries are non existent at this point, no one goes to them or watches them when the teams aren't going well, but it's great between teams who are near the top of the ladder. It's bandwagon grabbing rather than tribal, most Vics hate the interstaters more than their own inter-city rivals. WA is great too because Fremantle and West Coast is almost like a Fremantle v the rest of WA battle, with the great history of East and South Fremantle personified in one team, representing history in the port city since the 1800s. It goes back much further than the teams themselves.

1. West Coast v Fremantle
2. GWS v Sydney (new I know, but Sydney has a real divide between the West and the rest, you can feel that in the intensity when the teams play)
3. Adelaide v Port (Pretty good, I like it)
4. Brisbane v Gold Coast (could be higher up in the future, no real incidents to speak of yet)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WA derby is best for me, living in Perth and supporting neither WA team means I am guaranteed to be able to laugh at one set of supporters come Monday :D

Hahahaha this campaigner is high...
You changed my quote and and completely ignored my follow up post where I corrected myself by saying the rivalry in WA is more intense than the ones in NSW and QLD. Cheers mate.

WA is somewhere between QLD and NSW not really caring and SA's bad blood. I'd be interested to hear how many people living in WA got behind Freo when they made their first GF in 2013 and how many Freo fans were pulling for the Eagles last year in the GF.

Freagles... Freagles every where

the Derby is like a sibling rivalry to me... Eagles the big brother to the Dockers, the little brother... i personally don't have any bitter hatred to the Dockers... maybe once Freo win a few flags, things might change a bit

Last edited:
I have lived in both Perth and Adelaide and just moved back to Perth a year ago. I wouldn't say theres a big gap between the derby and showdown, however, i do agree that the showdown is a superior rivalry. From its inception, the showdown has been a tight tussle and its one rivalry that ladder position is irrelevant. Yes the the derby is close as well but both teams have had patches where they dominated each other. The eagles dominated early on, while the dockers in the last 8 years pegged it back. That being said, i wouldnt be surprised if the eagles v freo rivalry heats up even more when the new stadium is built.

The battle of the bridge and qclash are irrelevant atm but might get better over the years as the teams even up a bit and as the game grows in those states.

Never really see any here from interstate on our tv.
Can't recall catching one myself for sometime.
Maybe when GWS opened season with Sydney a few years ago was last time I saw one.
The year they beat Sydney was not on tv. That might have been last season or year before.
In later 1990's I think one or two clashes on Sunday from Adelaide I caught but the last decade I cannot really seeing one.

In Victoria enjoyed the Geelong v Hawks rivalry over last 7 or so years since they both been regular teams near top. Geelong dropped off last couple of years so kind of die down now but was good for a time and been a good Anzac Monday clash that I been to 3 or 4 times.
No other club rivalries in Melbourne that do not involve my club have really caught my imagination for some time.
I did like the Haws v Dons clashes in mid eighties. They were super as a neutral observer at time. Played in 3 grand finals in a row against each other but probably the height of it was the 1984 Second Semi-Final. One of best games ever of two power teams in league at same time.Swans v Eagles had some.
close clashes a number of games in a row last decade.

I grew up at the back end of the Carlton and Richmond rivalry in early 1980's. It was huge at time and 1982 grand final was sensational in build up like no other I remember before or since. They older fans that saw 1972 and 73 grand finals left no doubt both clubs truly despised each other.But both clubs never been a power at same time since then. It was even bigger than the Carlton and Collingwood grand finals a couple of times before that in 1979 and 1981 I saw on tv as a little kid. I enjoyed beating Collingwood but knew it would happen. Beating Richmond was more important as they were closer to our team at time in terms of skill.
My club and Essendon always had a big rivalry for many reasons but both having the most premierships had it as most important for me to knock off in finals in recent times. Hence beating them in Elimination Final last time we had any type of half decent team was more important to win than any other clash this decade. The 1999 prelim final is special too but a while ago now. However now we will be bottom two it will be a fizzer for some time. As a result the best grand final match up I can hope for in terms of rivalry in 2016 would be Geelong v Hawks. That would be good to see. Swans v Hawks would be the next best because they beaten each other once in recent grand finals. Another one would settle the score for this era.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back