Autopsy Rd 22 Carlton fail to get off the plane

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh man, I hate all of these close losses, not being able to hang on. Grrr.

Warning: No baiting, no going the man. Report posts. This means veterans, newbs, positive and negative. I don't want to lose friends or gain enemies here.

Oh and avoid player abuse. Negative opinions fine, try to be constructive.
Your team was very undermanned mate. Those kind of loss s' are not true indicators.

It'd be just our luck. :mad:

Hey, we do funny too!

Kids, this is what a little too much Scotch in the belly causes. ;)

On a serious note, the thing that really struck me was how much difficulty Carlton had in breaking through Port's wall across the centre coming out of defence. Hombsch and Carlile seemed to be having a field day with their intercept marking.

I believe that's one thing you can at least partly attribute to lack of experience, and partly to a lack of pace. Yarran managed to break through it a couple of times but you needed much more of that.

I'm feeling great this morning.

Thanks for asking Doss :p

Opened up big time. There was a huge gap between their skill level, speed, running ability in general and smarts. Out run, they they used the ball better than us, they were a lot more aggressive and physical than us and the pressure they applied was top shelf.

We were hopeless. We were let down by our top line players. As good as our better players are they don't compare with the leagues best, our top isn't all that high. Gibbs is our best player and he did alright but after that it's a steep slope down.

Some of our young players did alright. Our onballers were put to the sword, huge problems with a lack of quality in the midfield as there has been for a long long time.

Defence was shithouse, they didn't stick to their opponents and made too many mistakes. Tuohy was beyond bad.

We had no one worth worrying about up forward, Waite was mobbed and didn't hold many marks. Casboult has been useless for the last two months. No small forwards at all really.

Our young players, many of them look like they will be good honest capable players but I don't see too many real stars there. Not too many key players. Menzel and Cripps might be. We need a handful of players who would be up there for All Australian selection. Guys who are the best in the league at what they do or near to it, no one fits that category. Graham, Holman, Sheehan and Johnson all look like they can play AFL but I wouldn't expect any of them to be guns. Time will tell.

We're far too slow. Slow midifleders, no real quick forwards. Our quicker players were not really the quicker players on the ground, Port just blew us away.

Warning signs for a few players.

Jamison - apart from a handfull of games he looks cooked. Just looks in slow motion, doesn't do anything offensively, looking really slow and lacking intensity and run. As good as he's been for us, it's a shame we don't have a gun full back coming through because he'd be one you'd trade.
Lucas - handles the footy like he has no fingers, doesn't have skills by foot, didn't stand out at all.
Tuohy - Same boat as Jamison, can't run, has really poor intensity and doesn't hit the ball at pace, always gets tackled well because he doesn't have momentum or look to build it when he gains possession. Made some awful mistakes.
A few others who didn't stand up, Judd looked off, didn't have that speed and attack on the footy like he was holding back to wait for the others to do the jub and they didn't. Carrazzo, Bell and Simpson needed to step up for us to be a chance and they just aren't good enough, just bit players really that need stars who we don't have to play around.

Thanks for the positive and well balanced post, I was wondering what I should do over the next 10 years with football and you have helped me understand we are a true basket case with only one decent player. Tough times ahead! :thumbsu:

Some of the commentary this morning is hilarious.

Whilst I don't expect the " experts" or "analysts" to recognise our team had 11 players under 50 games and a handful of those under 10, we only had 25 players to pick from, our youngest/most inexperienced team in like a decade etc , claiming that we have no young talent and the worst list in the afl is a joke.

I saw a tweet where Lloyd asked who our are young players like Boak? Boak? He's older than Gibbs, Kreuz, Lachie, Yazz and all of our kids. He's played 150 games. Seriously.

Last night does not take away from our last 6 weeks. Last night was the perfect storm for a heavy heavy loss. Away from home, against a team fighting for top 4 who is fully fit. The boys are cooked mentally and physically. Mick said you can see it at training.

I can't see how our loss is any worse than losing to Brisbane by 60 points at the G.
Another horrible one was when the commentator described Port as 'young' and Carlton lacking youth. Then they started going on about how we have alot of list management to do and the loss was a wake up call.

Oh dear.

If we had a little more resembling even a 3/4 full strength team... and we'd lost against not a top 4 team... then those comments would be appropriate.

Harley is the biggest ******* idiot who hates Carlton. Wish he would choke on his swiss multivitamins.

Opened up big time. There was a huge gap between their skill level, speed, running ability in general and smarts. Out run, they they used the ball better than us, they were a lot more aggressive and physical than us and the pressure they applied was top shelf.

We were hopeless. We were let down by our top line players. As good as our better players are they don't compare with the leagues best, our top isn't all that high. Gibbs is our best player and he did alright but after that it's a steep slope down.

Some of our young players did alright. Our onballers were put to the sword, huge problems with a lack of quality in the midfield as there has been for a long long time.

Defence was shithouse, they didn't stick to their opponents and made too many mistakes. Tuohy was beyond bad.

We had no one worth worrying about up forward, Waite was mobbed and didn't hold many marks. Casboult has been useless for the last two months. No small forwards at all really.

Our young players, many of them look like they will be good honest capable players but I don't see too many real stars there. Not too many key players. Menzel and Cripps might be. We need a handful of players who would be up there for All Australian selection. Guys who are the best in the league at what they do or near to it, no one fits that category. Graham, Holman, Sheehan and Johnson all look like they can play AFL but I wouldn't expect any of them to be guns. Time will tell.

We're far too slow. Slow midifleders, no real quick forwards. Our quicker players were not really the quicker players on the ground, Port just blew us away.

Warning signs for a few players.

Jamison - apart from a handfull of games he looks cooked. Just looks in slow motion, doesn't do anything offensively, looking really slow and lacking intensity and run. As good as he's been for us, it's a shame we don't have a gun full back coming through because he'd be one you'd trade.
Lucas - handles the footy like he has no fingers, doesn't have skills by foot, didn't stand out at all.
Tuohy - Same boat as Jamison, can't run, has really poor intensity and doesn't hit the ball at pace, always gets tackled well because he doesn't have momentum or look to build it when he gains possession. Made some awful mistakes.
A few others who didn't stand up, Judd looked off, didn't have that speed and attack on the footy like he was holding back to wait for the others to do the jub and they didn't. Carrazzo, Bell and Simpson needed to step up for us to be a chance and they just aren't good enough, just bit players really that need stars who we don't have to play around.
Mate , your glass is half empty , better take another look. Injury ridden , and a bad night. That is all that happened yesterday. Everyone experiences it.
You've got to look positive to next year, there is no choice. What ever we out here in BF land think of Mick, he's a proven premiership coach. And I guess he knows what its like to have your back to the wall. So enough of the despair.
I hope I don't sound like a self satisfied smart arse but I'm old enough to remember very very bad times too.

I don't think the AFL did the whole future any good when it crucified Carlton over the salary cap problems , the AFL kicked in the teeth, of the whole of Carlton..... supporters, players, coaches admin , everyone . And almost stuffed the club.
I personally think you guys are still getting over that. Just keep on going ahead.

Another horrible one was when the commentator described Port as 'young' and Carlton lacking youth. Then they started going on about how we have alot of list management to do and the loss was a wake up call.

Oh dear.

If we had a little more resembling even a 3/4 full strength team... and we'd lost against not a top 4 team... then those comments would be appropriate.

Harley is the biggest ******* idiot who hates Carlton. Wish he would choke on his swiss multivitamins.

Top post Cringle. Their heads are that far up their own arses all they can see is colon!

If it was Geelong in the same situation all you would hear about is how well they will come back from such an aberration and the leadership group will make everyone accountable. The will sacrifice a virgin goat with the rubber being thrown to the youngest as an initiation.

Top post Cringle. Their heads are that far up their own arses all they can see is colon!

If it was Geelong in the same situation all you would hear about is how well they will come back from such an aberration and the leadership group will make everyone accountable. The will sacrifice a virgin goat with the rubber being thrown to the youngest as an initiation.
Even better.... it occured to Collingwood last week...

Except they were at home, against a bottom 4 side and they were still in finals contention.

But all we heard after that was 'injury riddled Collingwood', 'they would've won with Pendlebury' and about 5 different charts of their injury toll.

There replacements weren't even that inexperienced.

I do no get the media. I'm almost certain they don't watch or take note of Carlton.

Even better.... it occured to Collingwood last week...

Except they were at home, against a bottom 4 side and they were still in finals contention.

But all we heard after that was 'injury riddled Collingwood', 'they would've won with Pendlebury' and about 5 different charts of their injury toll.

There replacements weren't even that inexperienced.

I do no get the media. I'm almost certain they don't watch or take note of Carlton.

I actually stopped reading the newspaper about 3 months ago. Used to get the H Sun home delivered but would that up and I have never felt better. No point reading s**t dished up by journos just for the * of it.

Last nights commentary was actually a joke. I know we lost by 100 but I've never heard a commentary team been so openly critical. As I said last night, it was like the Footy Classified panel were commentating. Commentate the game. Don't spend 2 hours analysing our list and saying what players aren't up to it. Especially a week after the same commentators were praising the same players.

Why does White play forward?

He might get on the end of a couple but he doesn't lead or know how. He doesn't take pack marks. And he doesn't have a great kick on him.

I've never been much of a fan due to thinking we've got better options. But even I've had to acknowledge his contribution decent contribution in the backline.

So why is he playing forward?
We don't have a CHF with Henderson injured.

Imagine the belting Watson would have received if he had been picked. Knives would be out if he didn't find a way to kick five goals and take 10 marks.

Last nights commentary was actually a joke. I know we lost by 100 but I've never heard a commentary team been so openly critical. As I said last night, it was like the Footy Classified panel were commentating. Commentate the game. Don't spend 2 hours analysing our list and saying what players aren't up to it. Especially a week after the same commentators were praising the same players.

I believe it was Bruce pulled out the incredible and insightful comment about Lucas. He said that he will really need to make the most of his chances for the rest of the season....well the last one and a half games. Commetti then added that he really likes Lucas and would do well in Western Australia.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I believe it was Bruce pulled out the incredible and insightful comment about Lucas. He said that he will really need to make the most of his chances for the rest of the season....well the last one and a half games. Commetti then added that he really likes Lucas and would do well in Western Australia.

Let's hope the WA clubs agree!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back