List Mgmt. 2016 re-signing mission accomplished!

Remove this Banner Ad

How many academy selections do the lions look like having this year? The gradual growth of the academy will mean less reliance on taking players from the mummy states.

Eventually clubs will stop looking at the lists of the northern clubs as a feeding ground for vultures if the makeup is 80% local
1 looks pretty certain then there's probably about 3 others that would be there abouts. Depends how they go this season. The good thing is it looks like for the next couple of years we will have at least one first round talent, which is what we desperately need.

How many academy selections do the lions look like having this year? The gradual growth of the academy will mean less reliance on taking players from the mummy states.

Eventually clubs will stop looking at the lists of the northern clubs as a feeding ground for vultures if the makeup is 80% local
this list has been linked before, not sure which thread though.
http://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL ...ments/2016 Initial BL Academy Squads (v2).pdf
lot of names there- under 18 squad, highly thought of prospects, draftable 1st/2nd round to my knowledge.
2016- jacob allison (1st) jack rolls, declan watson.
2017- connor ballenden(1st)
also a couple of familiar names in that under 18 squad- clayton, lambert. vossys boy was in one of the younger squads recently, though not now with the move to adelaide, no worries we have him covered with the father/son rule.:)

We have 2-3 each year from what I understand

Martin re-signing was massive. I think Zorko is the most important of all mentioned. Late last season a Gerard Healy was saying he thinks that Zorko is on the verge of breaking into the elite of the competition and I'd love to think that's the case. His pace off the mark is explosive.

A bit worried about Mayes... is Pickering his manager?

Martin re-signing was massive. I think Zorko is the most important of all mentioned. Late last season a Gerard Healy was saying he thinks that Zorko is on the verge of breaking into the elite of the competition and I'd love to think that's the case. His pace off the mark is explosive.

A bit worried about Mayes... is Pickering his manager?
Of the players we want to keep, I would be confident on all bar Mayes and Rich, who I am really not sure about. Desperately hope they both stay but not sure

Dont disagree but likes of Taylor etc are the ones for me as we need to resign 3rd year players for club wellbeing more than anything else

Do we know if we are any closer to making any re-signings? Gee I'd love to sign up Mayes, Rich and Taylor early in the year.
We know Paparone is close, but didn't TheBrownDog mention a whole heap of names before Xmas that were getting close?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

behind a pay wall so I can't see it but story up saying Lions prepared to offer 5 year deal to Schache and that Zorko deal is close

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...l/news-story/885b4b2863e11c50b72371dae9dc9af4

Can still usually get around those with google. ;)

BRISBANE are prepared to offer top draft pick Josh Schache a five year deal before he has played a senior game.

They are also confident they are close to finalising a new long-term deal for vice-captain Dayne Zorko that will see him finish his career as a Lion.

Lions football manager Matthew Francis, welfare boss Craig Lambert and list manager Peter Schwab are in Melbourne this week meeting with player managers.

They have already met with Zorko’s new manager Tom Petroro and Alex McDonald who looks after No. 2 draft pick Schache.

The meeting with Petroro as a sign some of the troubles the club faced last season may now be behind them.

Brisbane appears to be a far more settled and happy environment this pre-season.

Zorko was a central figure in rumours of unrest at the club last season. Although the Lions insisted he had not fallen out with either his captain Tom Rockliff or his coach Justin Leppitsch — there was acknowledgment he had been upset at times during the turbulent season.

His manager at the time Adam Hall was quoted saying he was in no rush to begin contract talks and would likely hold off until well into 2016.

Stride boss Tom Petroro has taken over Zorko’s affairs and immediately opened talks with the club.

Petroro was not prepared to provide any commentary on contract negotiations when contacted by The Courier-Mail.

But the Lions confirmed an offer was already on the table and the feedback was that Zorko was keen to get the deal done.

Lions CEO Greg Swann said the deal would be for either three or four years.

“We’ve made an offer and we are hoping he will accept it,’’ he said. The Lions also met with Schache’s management yesterday.

Francis said the two parties were not at a stage where remuneration or the length of the contract had been offered and said the meeting was the first the club had held with McDonald since Schache was drafted.

But Swann said it was Brisbane’s intention to try to lock the key forward away on a long-term deal.

It is unusual for a draftee to be given such a long contract, especially before they have played a game.

However the Suns did it with young West Australian Jack Martin who is about to enter his second season and is set to be a star of the competition.

“We are happy to do longer terms and obviously we want him to be around for a long time, the problem is how you determine what his worth is in year three, four, or five,’’ Swann said.

“That is what has to be negotiated.’’

Can still usually get around those with google. ;)
So where does the five years come from? Nothing in the article apart from the lead sentence. Supposition by the CM or would Swann say it "off the record"?

"Zorko was a central figure in rumours of unrest at the club last season. Although the Lions insisted he had not fallen out with either his captain Tom Rockliff or his coach Justin Leppitsch — there was acknowledgment he had been upset at times during the turbulent season."

Zorko strikes me as a real influencer at the club. He also doesn't seem to be the type to follow blindly. If the club has managed to turn him around, I think it bodes incredibly well for how the club is tracking.

As I said on the Leppa contract thread, the thought of a divided club still scares me. There was a lot of s**t getting thrown around behind the scenes last year and that is not good for the club and, further, was a really poor reflection on the leaders like Leppa and Rocky.

However, if someone like Zorko is buying in, then I think it is evidence that something is going right. Thank * for that because another year of disunity could have had massive repercussions for our retention strategy.

Our culture would be really delicate right now. Getting the long term commitment of a Zorko would be a massive boost.

"Zorko was a central figure in rumours of unrest at the club last season. Although the Lions insisted he had not fallen out with either his captain Tom Rockliff or his coach Justin Leppitsch — there was acknowledgment he had been upset at times during the turbulent season."

Zorko strikes me as a real influencer at the club. He also doesn't seem to be the type to follow blindly. If the club has managed to turn him around, I think it bodes incredibly well for how the club is tracking.

As I said on the Leppa contract thread, the thought of a divided club still scares me. There was a lot of s**t getting thrown around behind the scenes last year and that is not good for the club and, further, was a really poor reflection on the leaders like Leppa and Rocky.

However, if someone like Zorko is buying in, then I think it is evidence that something is going right. Thank **** for that because another year of disunity could have had massive repercussions for our retention strategy.

Our culture would be really delicate right now. Getting the long term commitment of a Zorko would be a massive boost.

How much of that unrest, you have to wonder, is because we hardly win any games? I hate to say it, but if we don't win that many more this year even though we have a horror start to the fixture, how quickly do the instigators of unrest turn back around to being troublemakers again?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back