Draft Review 2010 - Revisit the 2010 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Really?

Nicoski has a fair bit of pace and above average strength, his highlights from 2011 show him breaking far more tackles and torching way more opponents than what I have seen from Atley.

In fact I was probably being generous comparing Atley to Nicoski.

Atley is lightning, Nicoski while quicker than average is no Atley.

Actually I watched all the finals. The problem is the underrating of Johnson that seems to continually happen on this site.
Maybe, but the same could be said of Smith. Barely gets a mention, but has shown a hell of a lot more than many of the more highly rated players. At the very least he has to hold his place in the draft order. He's taken some big scalps and performed in finals. The Fremantle final was superb, given that Mayne was up and about early, kicking a few goals at full forward, before Smith was moved on to him and completely shut him out of the game, whilst picking up 20 quality touches himself.

Atley is lightning, Nicoski while quicker than average is no Atley.
Atley is quick, but I definitely wouldn't call him lightening. Nothing that I have seen from him indicates he is any faster than Nicoski or any other number of pacy flankers in the AFL.

Lightening is Jetta, or Dangerfield or soon O'Meara. Atley does not compare to these guys.

I think Atley's speed is more to do with how fast he hits top pace. as opposed to his top pace being exceptionally fast. as you saw in the grandfinal sprint, he had Dangerfirled covered until halfway when Paddy left him for dust.

Gaff is the second best prospect in the 2010 draft pool behind Darling IMO.

Darling, Gaff, Bennell, Swallow, Heppell.
Agree with this one, not the Bomb's. No way would I take Heppell ahead of Darling, my only changes might be:

Darling, Swallow, Gaff, Bennell, Heppell

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Atley's speed is more to do with how fast he hits top pace. as opposed to his top pace being exceptionally fast. as you saw in the grandfinal sprint, he had Dangerfirled covered until halfway when Paddy left him for dust.
Dangerfield seems to have him covered from about the 5m mark

1. David Swallow - GC - still comfortably the best overall midfielder in the draft. GC would take him again to use him as the centerpiece for their midfield. Injuries have stopped him from doing even more, but right up there with the best of the draft in terms of output, has a lot of potential and is an exceptional leader.

2. Harley Bennell - GC - again, the same as 2010. GC would look to draft him, even with the concerns of going home, on the back of a super impressive 2012. No other draftee has shown the raw talent he has, the sublime skill and the great athleticism. The Suns would view him as the perfect counterpart to Swallow.

3. Jack Darling - GC - was obvious at the time the Suns wanted a KF and Sam Day was comfortably the best. In hindsight, Darling has shown he is the best key forward from this draft so far and should contine on. His off field issues have shown to be just a minor issue, and so the Suns would back themselves in if they had their time over.

4. Andrew Gaff - WC - the Eagles currently have a lot of clearance players - Priddis, Kerr, Scott Selwood, Shuey - they need a player with neat skills and good outside abilities. Gaff/Heppell? Went with Gaff because while he may not have the accolades Heppell has, he has shown a really good ability to combine with the Eagles midfield. Rosa/Gaff on the wings works very well, and if the Eagles knew now what they knew then, they would take the Oakleigh Chargers kid again.

5. Sam Day - Bris - While there are a few ahead of Day in performance, I think Day would fit in well with the Lions. IIRC, at the time of the draft, they had Fevola and Clark to go with Brown. In hindsight, they didn't need a key forward just yet (assuming Fev/Brown would be there a couple of years yet). But now, in 2012, a key forward with the athleticism and potential of Day would be excellent. Brown and Day as the big forwards enables Brown to play closer to home at times, improving his 'hurt' factor with the ability to kick bags. Not sure Karnezis would fall to the Lions 2nd pick either (25) so they would have Brown/Day/Cornelious + possibly Lisle so that gives them sufficient depth in the KF department.

6. Luke Parker - Rich - another pick where you would argue he isn't the 6th best performed in the draft, but he's the best available inside mid at this pick imo. Would fit in well with Richmond's midfield, and give them some grunt and attack to go with the run and skills of Cotchin, Deledio and Foley. The other option here was Richmond's orginal pick in Reece Conca who will be a very good inside midfielder, but I believe Parker has outplayed him so far and has shown that he is likely to be better.

7. Dyson Heppell - GC - with their plethora of picks, the Suns would look at the best available picks with their next few. Heppell, with the Rising Star, the Best Young Player award (and only Stephen Hill & Cyril Rioli haven't won B&F's from the other 9 winners IIRC) and high B&F finishes. Has good skills and an overall solid outside game, has a lot of room for improvement but you can't go past him any further, as on output he is a top 5 in this draft - and so best available > position at this stage of the draft for the Suns.

8. Reece Conca - Esse - with their prized pick, Heppell, gone at 7, the Bombers need to look elsewhere. Polec is a very good kid but injuries have stopped ihm from performing. Atley provides great run off half back but his 2012 doesn't quite get him over the players who have put in good 2011/2012's. Conca imo has had a very promising 2011 and 2012, so that gets him the number 8 spot. His toughness around the ball would provide a good foil to the likes of Watson and Howlett. Contentious decision for some possibly, but I reckon he retains his top 10 draft ranking.

9. Tom McDonald - GC - the second big riser. Picked by Melbourne at 53 originally, he really performed in 2012 amongst some turmoil at Melbourne. GC do need a young key back, with Bock not being around forever and they would know that. McDonald is imo the best tall at this position, so he goes at 9.

10. Shaun Atley - GC - some may call him overrated but his 2012 was very impressive, and what I believe is even more impressive is the massive improvements he has made in his kicking. Shows an excellent work ethic and will to succeed - something that would invaluable at the newly made Suns. His pace and his size would really help the Suns run off half-back, and in the future in the midfield.

11. Brodie Smith - GC - I think this young, underrated Adelaide HB would be very enticing to the Suns with the knowledge of the consistency he will show and the sureness he shows with nearly everything. About a certainty to make it as a long term AFL player, without being overly flashy or ever possessing the name that Franklin/Thomas/Tex Walker will have. The Suns would jump at the prospect of having a kid who shows the maturity and calmness shown by Smith. Would give the Suns a backline for the start of their first season of:
Harbrow, McDonald, Brown
Smith, Bock, Atley
nothing to be sneezed, at, especially now with Warnock's recruitment and would let them go for midfielders and forwards later on

12. Alex Johnson - Melb - The premiership player would not be a premiership player just yet if the draft was redone, with the Demons wanting a KP player early. They would go for a player who doesn't need as much develoopment as a skinny project player, and someone who could have an immediate impact. Alex Johnson would be their man. Would combine well with Frawley and Rivers, and enabling Garland to be a swing man. Johnson is a quiet, unassuming type who will never be marketable, but output > marketable

13. Jared Polec - GC - injuries have restricted this kid from showing his true talent, but the Suns would take the young South Australian at 13 imo. Would really add to their midfield, with inside midfielders being available at 39 most likely, the Suns could go for their potential outside picks, such as Polec. Very silky and imo has a quiet courage about him, would reeally add to the Suns.

14. Jake Bachelor - Adelaide - with the loss of Bock and the future loss of David, the Crows would look to sure up their backline. Talia and Rutten with Bachelor as the third tall (future replacemnt for Rutten at FB possibly) owuld be an enticing choice for the Crows. At pick 14 it thins out but I think there are still a few good players left, with Bachelor the best KP from the lot.

15. Kieran Harper - Geel - while it may be there are some players who have outperformed him, Harper has shown time and time again that once he can put close to a 4 quarter performance he wil be a star. Geelong would be prepared to wait if they went back to this draft. Wouldn't play nearly as many games as he has at North, but would have had a few opportunities and overall he would be an excellent fit for the Cats

16. Jeremy Howe - Port - while it may not be fashionable to take a 20 year old who hasn't played in the TAC cup, rather plying his trade in Tassie, he has still shown along with his remarkable marking ability, an overall good game. Would fit in so well at Port right now, giving Port a forward line of Schulz, Gray, Butcher and Howe - Port fans would cream themselves with excitement. But Howe isn't just an exciting marking forward - in time, he could play midfield and up the ground during stints. Good pick at 16 here.

17. Josh Caddy - North- i think North chase of Caddy shows he would fit in well at North, with his inside midfield game just what we need, the final piece for our midfield almost (after ouro utside runners develop). He may have had a rough start to his career, and is overrated at the time being (rumours of 900k over 3 years - excuse me?) but starting his career in Victoria would really make him a better player in the short term, and who knows what would have happened in reality.

18. Dion Prestia - Carl - "The Human Meatball" - due to needs, the guy I considered at the top 10 slides all the way to Carlton who pounce on the little tough meatball who would provide something from left-field in their midfield. While Bigfooty posters wonder why Carlton don't pick up more Kp's, the reality is that they need to sure up their midfield. Prestia would be a big get for the Blues, and would show that straight away.

19. Patrick Karnezis - Haw - the Hawks need some forward line depth imo, with Baileys ruck troubles meaning Hale can't spend as much time as Clarkson would like. While Karneszis might not get an immediate game for the Hawks in 2012, especially with Gunston (and so "re-do the draft threads" him no where near 20 :p is a classy forward who offers something to work with, learn a lot off Franklin/Roughead

20. Alex Fasolo - Frem - the young WA boy would be a possiblity from 10 onwards, but I reckon he would slide right down to 20 in this draft. Freantle would jump at the chance to pick up a WA boy who has potential for midfield but in the meantime would n amazingly arrogant duo of Ballantyne andd Fasolo. Would be super exciting, and piss off opposition no endwhich could work out well for the Dockers ala Scarlett punch which swang the game in Freo's favour.

Liberatore, Wallis and Brennan are F/S picks so even if the draft was redone they would end up at the Doggies/Eagles. Both, especially Wallis, would be right up there though. Wallis to Richmond @ 6, Liberatore to Essendon @ 8 possibly? Brennan in the 30's/40's...

Unlucky for top 20: Cripps, Gorringe, Smedts, Guthrie

Gorringe the only early ruckman in the draft - has shown a bit but I doubt he would go top 20 if draft was redone unless someone drafted for needs i.e. a ruckman. The Suns may have looked at Giles rather than Nathan Ablett in the pre season draft, stopping the Giants from taking him, and then Gorringe wouldn't be necessary for them (Fraser/Smith/Giles/Hickey/Nicholls - don't think 6 ruckman are required!)

The other 3 are all good smalls and could go top 20, but not everyone can and just think Smedts and Guthrie haven't shown what the others have, while Cripps could either go pick 20 to Freo or 26 to Eagles knowing what we know now.

Good list Liam, but you're been too modest re: Atley whom the Bombers would still take over Conca. Has more pace and had better disposal. My next choice would be Alex Johnson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back