Draft Review 2011 - Redo the 2011 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Then why do you keep on with smart arse replies? Like going on a crusade, that's not trying to end it, that's blatant trolling.

Give it a rest, you were wrong, go away
Why are you so insecure about all this, I was trying to end it and you kept going on. If trolling is me trying to end this silly insignificant argument then I'm sorry. You realise you are getting so worked up about the smallest thing. Just relax and let it go. If you can't let it go and just want to keep arguing over something so minute then I'll let you have your last say and feel satisfied with yourself as I'm done with wasting energy on this.

Hopefully a mod can come in and clear out all our posts so nobody has to read such nonsense over nothing.

Kade Simpson, Brandon Ellis, Leigh Montagna, Dion Prestia, all can get the ball on the outside in poor teams.
He's becoming underrated if anything

His 2013 and first half of 2014 were brilliant and easily the best of this draft.

Had a form slump mid 2014 and now he is inconsistent and overrated?

Ironically since it's such a small sample size, wingard has probably shown the most consistency of this group

I just reckon with GWS's make up of their team, it will take many of their players longer to show what they truly have, mainly due to having very little support, especially senior support to help them.

The thing is players like Treloar, Shiel and Cameron along with WHE are their best younger players IMO. The first 3 weren't in this Draft as they were already taken.

If they were I would have the top 3 as a pretty clear cut top 3 of Wingard, Cameron and Treloar.

So they've still done alright with the players they got from this draft year in particular.

You speak a lot of good sense

It's quite amazing that with 11 of the first 14 picks GWS didn't even up with any of the top 3 players from this draft.

Wingard, Ellis & Tyson.

Ellis and Tyson?? Please

Tyson couldn't get a regular game in our midfield. He'd still be bench player at best for us.

Still, this is very subjective, need more time before this is close to being settled.

Last edited:
Wingard is too inconsistent to be the consensus No.1. Seems to be getting overrated, but then a lot of these lists were made before August.

Terrible troll

It's quite amazing that with 11 of the first 14 picks GWS didn't even up with any of the top 3 players from this draft.

Wingard, Ellis & Tyson.
Thought they did pick up Tyson?

Ellis and Tyson?? Please

Tyson couldn't get a regular game in our midfield. He'd still be bench at best.

Still, this is very subjective, need more time before this is close to being settled.
Are you kidding? If Tyson was still at the Giants he'd be your third best midfielder behind Ward and Treloar despite still having never seen a full preseason. He'd have also been your second highest Brownlow poller.

Are you kidding? If Tyson was still at the Giants he'd be your third best midfielder behind Ward and Treloar despite still having never seen a full preseason. He'd have also been your second highest Brownlow poller.

Don't agree and we've just strengthened our midfield with Griffen.

He's a very good player but we have a very good midfield. His standing has improved in a team that did not have a midfield apart from Jones.

Although that should change next year with a couple of guns joining.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't agree and we've just strengthened our midfield with Griffen.

He's a very good player but we have a very good midfield. His standing has improved in a team that did not have a midfield apart from Jones.

Although that should change next year with a couple of guns joining.
Which midfielders exactly would be ahead of Tyson forcing him to the bench?

Tyson has performed in a bottom 2 team DESPITE the absence of any midfield support except Jones and Vince. Not many other 13 game players would have done that. More Brownlow votes in 2014 alone than any other player recruited since 2011 except Ellis who has 14 over 2013/14 in a top 8 side, and twice as much experience. Give Tyson another season with a better fitness base and he'll be an outright star. His talent was stifled from the moment he was drafted to GWS due to injuries and a crowded development program (not really your fault). We've stifled plenty of players ourselves but this isn't one of them.

Last edited:
Tyson was always a class act. Injuries hurt his development and I'm happy to see him progress with a clear injury run. In terms of inside mids for us he was behind Ward, Greene, treloar, shiel, Adams and to a lesser extent Whitfield, coniglio, WHE and Tomlinson on the outside.

That being said offloading him for Kelly has helped our age spread and Kelly is silk. Winners everywhere in that trade including Tyson himself

Tyson was always a class act. Injuries hurt his development and I'm happy to see him progress with a clear injury run. In terms of inside mids for us he was behind Ward, Greene, treloar, shiel, Adams and to a lesser extent Whitfield, coniglio, WHE and Tomlinson on the outside.

That being said offloading him for Kelly has helped our age spread and Kelly is silk. Winners everywhere in that trade including Tyson himself
No doubt he was behind them when he left but to say that he still would be would be ignorant. Kelly is certainly a good player. That trade is as close to a win-win as will ever be seen. If Petracca had always been a certainty to slide to #2 this year I presume we'd have done a similar deal.

Which midfielders exactly would be ahead of Tyson forcing him to the bench?

Tyson has performed in a bottom 2 team DESPITE the absence of any midfield support except Jones and Vince. Not many other 13 game players would have done that. More Brownlow votes in 2014 alone than any other player recruited since 2011 except Ellis who has 14 over 2013/14 in a top 8 side, and twice as much experience. Give Tyson another season with a better fitness base and he'll be an outright star. His talent was stifled from the moment he was drafted to GWS due to injuries and a crowded development program (not really your fault). We've stifled plenty of players ourselves but this isn't one of them.

Cogs has answered this succinctly.

No doubting a very good player but it is a fact he could not get a regular game for us when he was with us. There were a bunch of kids the same age as him and younger that were getting games at the time. We cannot re-write history.

I would put O'Rourke this year in a similar category. Highly rated, clearly talented but not getting consistent games. Might go on and be a good player but we aren't slashing wrists at losing him.

Moving to a dismal midfield gave him opportunities and he's grabbed them. Good luck to him, the trade was win/win.

This is a speculative and evolving thread and certainly not definitive. I don't have him or Ellis rated as highly as some but I do have Wingard there. I also think WHE has a much bigger ceiling going forward.

Time will tell who ends up right!

Last edited:
I love how stupid this board is.

Re do the 2011 draft? Or rank the 2011 draftees?

Pretty sure GWS would still take Johnathan Patton at 1 every day of the week due to them wanting a KPP.

Yeah all of us realise that ranking the draftees is the point of this thread regardless of the title. No need to get bitchy.

Cogs has answered this succinctly.

No doubting a very good player but it is a fact he could not get a regular game for us when he was with us. There were a bunch of kids the same age as him and younger that were getting games at the time.

That was past, I think the question is whether he would've gotten a game in 2014, and the answer would have to be yes.

Yes he most definitely would've gotten a game in 2014.

At the end of the day we were never gonna keep every player we draft. But I'm still happy he has been performing well and that we got adequate compensation for his loss with Kelly and to a lesser extent McCarthy.

Why question a win/win scenario?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back