Draft Review 2011 - Redo the 2011 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

If we were ranking teams Hawthorn would be up the top but we're ranking 2011 draftees and Tyson, Shiel, Coniglio and Smith are much better players than Hill.

Would you have Taylor Duryea at the top end of the 2009 draft?
No I wouldn't, duryea is a decent player though.
The best player, I think, that will come out of the 2011 draft is Will Hoskin-Elliot. Brad Hill would still be in my top 10 though, and hovering around the top 5. That's in my option though

If we are talking value then Neale and Sutcliffe are the steals of this draft. Hill is excellent value too.
WHE, Wingard stand out for pure talent. Pleased to say I spotted H-E from his first possession as a rare talent.

Wingard is rated too highly in this thread, he's been a good player but not as prolific or consistent as others who are listed below him. Treloar is already averaging 24 disposals and 0.6 goals a game and is a proven star already while Wingard seems to run in and out of form at the moment.

Wingard is rated too highly in this thread, he's been a good player but not as prolific or consistent as others who are listed below him. Treloar is already averaging 24 disposals and 0.6 goals a game and is a proven star already while Wingard seems to run in and out of form at the moment.
Wingard's the only AA and best and fairest player in this group. He would be picked first if done again. Short memories HP. One downish year doesn't throw everything else he has done in his career thus far.

If pre listed players were included than arguments could be made for Treloar and Cameron ahead of Wingard but without pre listings I would take Wingard ahead of the others.

Wingard probably has the highest potential out of everyone bar maybe Cameron, his talent and composure is phenomenal, and once he starts to add consistency to his game he will become an absolute star. Also I didn't put any of the GWS pre-zone selections so that excludes Treloar, Cameron etc.

Wingard probably has the highest potential out of everyone bar maybe Cameron, his talent and composure is phenomenal, and once he starts to add consistency to his game he will become an absolute star. Also I didn't put any of the GWS pre-zone selections so that excludes Treloar, Cameron etc.

Treloar and Cameron were on the lists that I am viewing, so they're rating Wingard ahead. If the list is on potential then yes Wingard is probably No.1 or second behind Cameron. I don't see how he can be No.1 on output though.

Significantly easier to make the AA in the forward line than in the midfield.
Really? The last 5 or 6 years (besides last year) they have wasted 1 or 2 half forward spots for midfielder spots, not to mention the whole bench being midfielders.

Just ignoring his best and fairest?

As I said he is clear number 1 if picked now not including the pre listed players. Who would you pick ahead of him if the draft was done again?

Really? The last 5 or 6 years (besides last year) they have wasted 1 or 2 half forward spots for midfielder spots, not to mention the whole bench being midfielders.

I'm aware of all that, but none of it seems to add up to it being easier to get a midfield spot. Consider that Sam Mitchell didn't get an AA nomination till 2011 and you get the drift.

Just ignoring his best and fairest?

Pretty much. Treloar's career average of 24 disposals a game is higher than most elite midfielders in the game, let alone best and fairest winners.

Way too early to have any good idea of how this list will ultimately look in 12 years time once everything is said and done, but if the draft was re-done tomorrow I would rank as follows:

1. Wingard - Best performed; great athlete. People forget that he played his junior football through the midfield and sooner or later he will take his mercurial talents there. Remains to be seen what he can produce but worst case scenario is that it doesn't work and they plonk him back in the forward line and he kicks 50 goals a year.
2. Tomlinson - No doubt that this guy will be a high quality A-grade key position player in the years to come. High quality key-forwards hold a much higher worth due to their scarcity.
3. Patton - Still worth the risk even though he has done his knee twice and the odds are well and truly stacked against him of ever reaching anywhere near his ceiling. Had the potential to be an absolute powerhouse of the competition.
4. Devon Smith - Dynamic midfielder/ forward who is capable of kicking 40 goals a year and averaging over 20 touches a game.
5. Tyson - A reliable midfielder who will be the cornerstone of Melbourne's midfield for the next ten years.
6. Hill - Provides good run and carry and good ball use but is going to face a massive fork in the road once opposition clubs start to heavily tag him. Will he rise above it or will he go into his shell like his brother Stephen and take 3 years to learn to cope with it effectively?
7. Coniglio - Dynamic midfielder who is yet to properly establish himself but has a big toolbox.
8. Hoskin-Elliot - Massive ceiling but someone who I feel is going to be dogged by inconsistency. Will be quite hot and cold but is going to absolutely dine out on the days when he's really on.
9. Yeo - Can play all over the ground at 190cm and is an incredible athlete for his size.
10. Ellis - Stat whore that racks up uncontested possies.

Honourable mentions to Nick Haynes, Crozier, Neale, Greene, Tom Mitchell, Justin Clarke & Jack Crisp.

Last edited:
I'm aware of all that, but none of it seems to add up to it being easier to get a midfield spot. Consider that Sam Mitchell didn't get an AA nomination till 2011 and you get the drift.

Pretty much. Treloar's career average of 24 disposals a game is higher than most elite midfielders in the game, let alone best and fairest winners.
Mate most the posters in this thread haven't included Treloar as they haven't used the pre listed players. I said it could be argued either way if they were included. I reckon Treloar is the best young mid in the comp practically. Wingard however is clearly the best on potential and on what he has accomplished in the actual drafted players of 2011 (not including the pre listed). So I can't see how people are overrating him.

Way too early to have any good idea of how this list will ultimately look in 12 years time once everything is said and done, but if the draft was re-done tomorrow I would rank as follows:

1. Wingard - Best performed; great athlete. People forget that he played his junior football through the midfield and sooner or later he will take his mercurial talents there. Remains to be seen what he can produce but worst case scenario is that it doesn't work and they plonk him back in the forward line and he kicks 50 goals a year.
2. Tomlinson - No doubt that this guy will be a high quality A-grade key position player in the years to come. High quality key-forwards hold a much higher worth due to their scarcity.
3. Patton - Still worth the risk even though he has done his knee twice and the odds are well and truly stacked against him of ever reaching anywhere near his ceiling. Had the potential to be an absolute powerhouse of the competition.
4. Devon Smith - Dynamic midfielder/ forward who is capable of kicking 40 goals a year and averaging over 20 touches a game.
5. Tyson - A reliable midfielder who will be the cornerstone of Melbourne's midfield for the next ten years.
6. Hill - Provides good run and carry and good ball use but is going to face a massive fork in the road once opposition clubs start to heavily tag him. Will he rise above it or will he go into his shell like his brother Stephen and take 3 years to learn to cope with it effectively?
7. Coniglio - Dynamic midfielder who is yet to properly establish himself but has a big toolbox.
8. Hoskin-Elliot - Massive ceiling but someone who I feel is going to be dogged by inconsistency. Will be quite hot and cold but is going to absolutely dine out on the days when he's really on.
9. Yeo - Can play all over the ground at 190cm and is an incredible athlete for his size.
10. Ellis - Stat whore that racks up uncontested possies.

Honourable mentions to Nick Haynes, Crozier, Neale, Greene, Tom Mitchell & Jack Crisp.
How is Tomlinson a high quality key forward? 15 goals from 45 games. He's played all over the ground but doesn't mean he's a high quality key forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is Tomlinson a high quality key forward? 15 goals from 45 games. He's played all over the ground but doesn't mean he's a high quality key forward.

I didn't say that he's a high quality key-forward yet. That's what he projects to be. His is a similar type of player to Pavlich who can play all over the ground but should find his home in attack.

Last edited:
Mate most the posters in this thread haven't included Treloar as they haven't used the pre listed players. I said it could be argued either way if they were included.

When he is included Wingard seems to still be the consensus No.1 . . . that's what I commented on.

Wingards so call "down year" gets played up a bit. He still kicked 43 goals. First half of the year was phenomenal. Second half he slowed up a bit

Ironically he is probably the most consistent player in the draft.

At the moment? He's recovering from a knee surgery right now.

Wingards had the hype, Treloar the substance, but WHE will be the best player from this draft imo, kid is Fyfe like, not as powerful, but a lot quicker across the ground.

The question , whether to include pre listed players or not is stupid. Thread is redo the 2011 draft. Doesnt say national draft only. Can include rookie draft or anyone drafted in 2011. Should have been defined better.

Using a combo of upside and proven performances:

(Cameron) - pretty obvious choice. Probably the best KPF at his age in my lifetime, and he could well be the difference between GWS being good and great.
1. Wingard - only AA out of the actual draft. Despite a down year last year still managed to kick 43 goals and just utterly reeks of class.
(Treloar) - best of the GWS mids IMO. Very good statisically and can't be too far away from being the considered one of the league's best players.
2. Tyson - utter stud. Looks set to overtake Jones as the lynchpin of the Melbourne midfield.
(Shiel) - has kinda underachieved so far in this career but you can see why he's so highly rated. Should explode soon.
3. Mitchell - possibly biased but when he got a fair go he was very good. Ideal skill set for a high-class midfielder, only question is how many games can he get at Sydney? Reckon if he defects he'll be proven as a star.
4. Neale - huge steal for #58. Showed last year how good he could be, and with more minutes in their midfield will prove to be one of the better players in the league.
5. Ellis - ball-winning machine, but he's somewhat outside and probably doesn't impact the game the way he could.
6. Patton - if he could get over his knee problems, he could be the perfect partner for Cameron. Showed quite a bit of potential last season that befitted his #1 selection before doing his knee again.
7. Smith - small but good. Dynamic and should be an ideal example of midfielders/forwards for years to come.
8. Conigilo - highly skilled, has an ideal balance to make it as a top-class mid. Injuries could be a concern though....
9. Hoskin-Elliott - loads of talent. Hasn't quite put it together yet, but will be a gun on his day.
10. Hill - a tad over-rated. Great start to his career so far but still rather outside and I'll be interested to see how he goes once the A-graders from Hawthorn move on and he starts getting hard tags.
11. Tomlinson - lots of X-factor. Not 100% sure his future lies as a genuine spearhead key forward but will be a class act.
12. Haynes - a bit of a tweener height but is very very good. Injuries have held him back but was looking like he was gonna break out big time last season.
13. Docherty - very handy player wherever he plays. Clean skills, plays taller than he is and capable of taking big marks.
14. Witts - the big guys take time to develop, and he should be a gun ruckmen in the future. Only problem is whether he can rest up forward well given Collingwood also have Grundy.
15. Clarke - showed some very good signs as a KPD, and should continue to improve. Will probably be somewhat under-rated in the footballing community due to the club he plays for.
16. Newnes - classy HBF/midfielder who should be a valuable outside player for years to come.
17. Greene - knows how to accumulate, but his disposal is suspect and right now is just a little too outside to get away with it.
18. Yeo - good size for a modern day midfielder, but needs to produce more.
(Hombsch) - maybe not the sort of player you'd bid high for but offers a lot in his role.
19. Adams - like Greene, seems a tad limited. Will be a good player but other players have more upside.
20. Kersten - not done a lot so far in his career, but knows how to kick goals at the lower level and could be a very good #2/3 tall.
21. Ellis-Yolmen - could be a very exciting player for Adelaide if his NAB Challenge form can be converted to proper AFL footy. Right sort of body to be the prototype of a modern inside mid.
22. Sutcliffe - another strong pick-up by the Dockers, in their best 22 and is developing nicely.
23. Jong - exciting athleticism, and his football IQ seems to be developing nicely. Should be a handy player.
24. Crozier - looks a potentially attractive player. Still very young and has a fair bit of X-factor about him.
25. Crisp - risky but looked a really valuable player at the end of 2014. Good size and offers a lot of versatility.
26. Williams - won't play a very fashionable role, but has done a good job and could develop further with time.

Hard draft to sort. Plenty of quality - there's quite a few decent players that missed out here - but perhaps lacking many truly elite talents.

A few big calls, but they have promise IMO.

Mitchell above Hill. One's a two time premiership wingman, the other's played reserves for the best part of the last two years.

And if you think Hill isn't already getting hard tags, then you've not been paying attention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back