Draft Review 2013 - Redo the 2013 AFL draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Cripps is going to make a lot posters look very silly. He will be a gun around the clearances.
What other weapons does he have besides extraction? If extraction alone makes a player rated at the top then players like Greene and Priddis should be rated higher around here then they are

What other weapons does he have besides extraction? If extraction alone makes a player rated at the top then players like Greene and Priddis should be rated higher around here then they are
What weapons does Cam McCarthy have other than he is an talented forward who can mark and kick like Jesse White and Jack Watts?

Stupid comparison and point that could be applied to selectively criticise anyone who was selected in the 2013 draft.

Cripps' decision making and awareness would be his strength after he held onto the ball and spun to flip it over the top after spotting Tutt running past. Harder to tackle a giant mid who can keep their arms free and stand up in a tackle. Big boy who go forward and use his height given he's approximately as tall as McCarthy and Bontempelli.

Link
"One thing Juddy said to me when I first got drafted is your strength as an under-18 footballer is going to be your strength down the track," Cripps said.

At 193 centimetres - a tad taller than North Melbourne bull Jack Ziebell - Cripps, yet to kick a goal in the seniors, hopes another strength becomes his ability to be a third marking target inside 50. As he says, versatility is one of the keys to being an efficient modern footballer.

"He is a big boy," Laidley said. "He can actually mark the footy. He actually reminds me a little of Jack Ziebell, but just a little bit taller.
Link

Wow. Defensive.

Was a genuine question as I don't watch Carlton games and as far as I have heard he is a pure extractor but doesn't hurt on the spread

Its too early, but keep an eye on Darcy Lang.

16 could look a little late by years end.

Go Catters

His very good around the stoppages has a great ability to get his arm free in the tackle and has a deft touch with hand ball.
In a VFL game last year I watched Cripps tear a game apart. 30 touches 17 contested and 3 goals playing as an inside mid who went forward.
That's where I see the club developing him as an inside mid who can go forward and use his height which is said to be anywhere between 192-194 depending on who you ask.
Tall goal kicking inside mids are all the rage ATM.
Think Mundy Kennedy Wines.
Cripps himself said as draftee he models his game on Ollie Wines. He is in that mould of players.

Last edited:
1. Marcus Bontempelli
2. Tom Boyd
3. Josh Kelly
4. Jack Billings
5. James Aish
6. Kade Kolodjashnij
7. Luke Dunstan
8. Luke McDonald (F/S)
9. Zach Merrett
10. Lewis Taylor
11. Tom Langdon
12. Matt Scharenberg
13. Christian Salem
14. Jarman Impey
15. Zak Jones
16. Ben Lennon
17. Sean Lemmens
18. Billy Hartung
19. Dom Sheed
20. Darcy Gardiner
That's how id have it instead but id have McDonald between K.K and Dunstan

There's some good players from this draft. I look forward to many of them nominating Hawthorn as their preferred destination in coming years. A late first round draft pick should get it done.
That just shows why some people cant stand Hawthorn supporters, when these players are in their prime Hawthorn will not be the chosen destination, will be Gold coast imo and maybe the giants and Melbourne.

Paddy Cripps top 5 from his draft class without a shadow of a doubt by the end of this season.
Mick and Carlton have developed him nicely :)

I'm really happy with how Salem is developing. Will need another preseason to get an AFL tank, but has shown already this preseason that for 2/3rds of a game can be a real ball winning weapon off half back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For an under-developed kid who wasn't supposed to play any senior footy in 14' I am happy with Billings' progress and still would take him at 3. Watching him have 25 touches at 100% disposal efficiency against the Eagles was mouth watering.

Looking like a great draft early on. Can see at least 15 footballers from this batch playing 200+ already.

I think it's way too early too rank players on output. But I can say that North fans are incredibly happy with this draft and 5 years from now I think we'll be even happier. McDonald, Turner and Brown have all shown they can do it at AFL level, Tippett has shown a bit as a key defender and will get more opportunities this year and finally Dumont played incredibly well in his first year in the VFL and will get senior opportunities this season

I'm going early on this but I get the feeling this draft may join 2001 and 2008 as the best drafts in recent history.

I Think 2010 was a super draft too.

Parker, Heppell, Libba, Swallow, Bennell, Lynch, Prestia, B.Smith, I.Smith, Darling, Howe, Wallis, T.Mcdonald, Caddy, Polec, just to name a few is a super batch of names.

Premature thread is premature.
Most statements on big footy are premature and thoughts and suspicions, if we were all going to laugh at peoples suggestions and assumptions without hind sight, then this place would be the called comedy central not Big footy.

Very early I know but here's my take on the top 20 if I could redo it

1. Tom Boyd
2. Marcus Bontempelli
3. James Aish
4. Josh Kelly
5. KK
6. Jack Billings
7. Lewis Taylor
8. Luke Mcdonald (FS)
9. Luke Dunstan
10. Zach Merrett
11. Tom Langdon
12. Jarman Impey
13. Christian Salem
14. Dom Sheed
15. Sean Lemmens
16. Matt Crouch
17. Billy Hartung
18. Ben Lennon
19. Matt Scharenburg
20. Daniel Mcstay

My top 10 right now

1 The Bont
2 Luke McDonald
3 Lewis Taylor
4 Josh Kelly
5 Cam McCarthy
6 Patrick Cripps
7 Jack Billings
8 Tom Langdon
9 Zach Merrett
10 Tom Boyd

Of course, I'll probably change my mind within a month, such a brilliant draft, so much depth, and several gems plucked outside the top 20 :)

My top 10 right now

1 The Bont
2 Luke McDonald
3 Lewis Taylor
4 Josh Kelly
5 Cam McCarthy
6 Patrick Cripps
7 Jack Billings
8 Tom Langdon
9 Zach Merrett
10 Tom Boyd

Of course, I'll probably change my mind within a month, such a brilliant draft, so much depth, and several gems plucked outside the top 20 :)
Lewis Taylor a bit high for me.

Surely you have boyd higher than 10. Not trying to be bias or anything but seriously ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back