Draft Review 2013 - Redo the 2013 AFL draft

Remove this Banner Ad

I like Merrett however he gets a lot of touches due to Hird's high-disposal, kick-it-around, fantasy-footy style game plan. Also puts up his disposal efficiency. Hurt-factor minimal IMO.

I like Merrett however he gets a lot of touches due to Hird's high-disposal, kick-it-around, fantasy-footy style game plan. Also puts up his disposal efficiency. Hurt-factor minimal IMO.

Yeah, nah.

His probably our most damaging player at the moment outside of Colyer's one or two moments a game.

Well now you're just blatantly showing the world just how biased you are.

I mean, is Cripps the best footballer who has ever walked this planet? He'd have to be based on your evaluation.

So, let's go through your list on how Cripps apparently shits all over Merrett in every facet bar kicking...

Size: Cripps is 10cm taller, now tell me how that has made him a better player than Merrett? How has it impacted anything? Does that make David Myers a better midfielder than Sam Mitchell?

Marking: Merrett averages 4.2 marks a game compared to Cripps' 2.7, wow, how much better is Cripps!

Tackling: Of all of your assertions, this is by far the most ludicrous. Merrett would damn well be the best tackler for his age and size I've ever seen. Easily the best tackler and chaser on Essendon's list and he's only in his second year. I could compile a video package of his tackling and it would make a fantastic montage for when he retires in 10 years, let alone midway through his second season. Even without that, Merrett averages 5.8 tackles per game compared to Cripps' 4.7. Absolutely laughable you would try and claim this.

Clearances: Cripps has shown more in the clearances so far, though as you say, Merrett has apparently spent more time up forward and has Watson, Heppell, Goddard etc taking up stoppages ahead of him.

1 per centers: Merrett averages 1.0 a game compared to Cripps' 0.9. Again, Cripps again so clearly better.

Handpassing: LOL, okay. Claim that if you want, I disagree but whatever.

Vision: Again, LOL. What a wank. What do you base that on? Again, I disagree but if you're going to pull s**t out of your arse, then how do I possibly argue with that?

Footy smarts: A very close second for most laughable behind your tackling assertion. Just, LOL.

******* hell, I knew you were a terrible, self-righteous poster already but claims about Cripps are borderline delusional.

I'd actually agree with you talent-wise about Billings being a slightly better prospect, but apparently even he's not even in the same stratosphere as your lovechild Cripps.

Merret has been playing consistenly for two seasons, Cripps is still practicallt in his first season, he only played about 3 games last year due to a broken leg. Merret has played 30 games and Cripps has played 11.

So stats are pretty useless comparison, i'm just talking about perceptions from watching football. Not reading stats. You say its a "wank" when you cant measure it in stats to show it in your favour, but there is things beyond stats that make you a better footballer. Vision, composure, workrate cant be measured.

And as for things like marks, i said Cripps was a better mark not that he averages more marks, Merret is an outside link up player, of course he's going to average more than Cripps as an inside ball winner, but Cripps could outmark Merret in a one on one easily.

As I said - Merret is a good footballer, but Cripps is better ;)

And as for the standard personal attack from you.
I wouldnt expect anything further from you Prosecutor. You say I am self righteous - yet when you deal with people like yourself who arent worth the time of day, you have to assert yourself, i mean for christs sake you think Essendon ARENT drug cheats, and you abuse people for comprehending a tv show more than you.

Disagree TLE. While Cripps might grow to be a better player (should and probably will grow to be a better player), Merrett has been excellent for Essendon while most of their other players have struggled. He's a gem.

Merret has been playing consistenly for two seasons, Cripps is still practicallt in his first season, he only played about 3 games last year due to a broken leg. Merret has played 30 games and Cripps has played 11.

So stats are pretty useless comparison, i'm just talking about perceptions from watching football. Not reading stats. You say its a "wank" when you cant measure it in stats to show it in your favour, but there is things beyond stats that make you a better footballer. Vision, composure, workrate cant be measured.

As I said - Merret is a good footballer, but Cripps is better ;)

No, I don't need stats to know who I think the better player is, let alone know that Merrett is not well behind Cripps. Are you seriously now trying to claim Cripps has a better workrate etc than Merrett now?

And as for the standard personal attack from you.
I wouldnt expect anything further from you Prosecutor. You say I am self righteous - yet when you deal with people like yourself who arent worth the time of day, you have to assert yourself, i mean for christs sake you think Essendon ARENT drug cheats, and you abuse people for comprehending a tv show more than you.

Ohh, tell me more about my thoughts on Essendon in this saga, what is my stance on it all. This ought to be good :)

And abusing you because you apparently comprehend a TV show better than me? Well, for starters, I hadn't even posted anything about how I comprehended or even you comprehended the show for starters, so you can shove that elitism right up your arse if you're head hasn't already taken up said space. My abuse was directed at you because people were trying to enjoy the show but you with your smug sense of superiority had the need to belittle people who had a different interpretation to you or asked for a reminder who a minor/supporting character was who had not received a lot of airtime over the series.

Oh, and said abuse and the perception of your arrogance seemed to be backed up with the feedback to said abuse to you.

b0b5740058.png

Disagree TLE. While Cripps might grow to be a better player (should and probably will grow to be a better player), Merrett has been excellent for Essendon while most of their other players have struggled. He's a gem.

He goes alright and I even had him in my revised top 10 but his stats aren't telling the whole story. He is not in the Billings, Bont, Kelly conversation. Cripps is a very different player but equally important as the others I mentioned. Merrett in the Lewie Taylor, Billy Hartung next group down.

He goes alright and I even had him in my revised top 10 but his stats aren't telling the whole story. He is not in the Billings, Bont, Kelly conversation. Cripps is a very different player but equally important as the others I mentioned. Merrett in the Lewie Taylor, Billy Hartung next group down.

He's really not, but whatever. Heppell would be doing very, very well if he has a better career than Merrett out of Essendon's young players.

Thread has completely jumped shark.

Merrett in Cripps' body though, that'd be something to behold, given Merrett's only deficiency is he's not the '190cm built like a tank' mid commentators fawn over

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ive seen plenty of Zach Merret, I constantly saw him outscore his brother last year in dream team when I had Jackson.

Merret is a good player. And he played well yesterday so I'm sure you're currently wet thighed with joy over the thought of him - but he's not better than Billings and to a lesser extent Dunstan. And he 100% is not better than Patrick Cripps. The fact that Cripps is a better player in every aspect of the game of AFL (bar outside run) Cripps is superior in;
Size, marking, tackling, clearances, 1%'s, handpass, vision, footy smarts.
Merret might have the better field kick slightly, and might kick more goals as he plays as a half forward but Cripps is the better footballer without question.

Merret is good though, I rate him.
1. Bont, 2. Cripps, 3. McCarthy, 4. Boyd, 5. Kelly, 6. Billings,

Dunstan probably just pips them, but its still early days in their careers - Merret or Kolo is definitely next cab off the rank after that. Quality top 10 player

I agree that people Cripps would go ahead of Merrett on redo of the draft based on his potential. But your comparison between the two players is way off the mark. I'd love to see evidence supporting Cripps' superiority in tackling, footy smarts and vision. Cripps kicking also isn't in the same ball park as Merrett's

This is pure fiction. In spite of Essendons game plan, Merrett is someone who really tries to take the game on. His kicking and decision making is excellent, and he is becoming one of our most damaging mids.

1. Bontempelli
2. Cripps
3. Boyd
4. Billings
5. Lewis Taylor
6. Langdon
7. Dunstan
8. KK
9. Kelly
10. Sheed

Cripps in my opinion (may be bias) is now the clear number 2/3 in terms of output and what he will produce in future.

Would it be wrong to say Cripps may even challenge Bont for that number 1 position in future? I mean he has only played 12 games. At the moment though Bont clear number 1

1. Bontempelli
2. Cripps
3. Boyd
4. Billings
5. Lewis Taylor
6. Langdon
7. Dunstan
8. KK
9. Kelly
10. Sheed

Cripps in my opinion (may be bias) is now the clear number 2/3 in terms of output and what he will produce in future.

Would it be wrong to say Cripps may even challenge Bont for that number 1 position in future? I mean he has only played 12 games. At the moment though Bont clear number 1

Cripps has had BETTER games than Bont however the sample size is much smaller. I wanna see Cripps maintain his form for the remainder of the season. Both vying for number 2 behind Jack Billings ;)

1. Bontempelli
2. Cripps
3. Boyd
4. Billings
5. Lewis Taylor
6. Langdon
7. Dunstan
8. KK
9. Kelly
10. Sheed

See if he can do it while being tagged like the Bont. That's the big test.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back