Play Nice Referendum - Indigenous Voice in Parliament - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link to the proposed Referendum, from the Referendum Working Group:
(Edited 6 April 2023)

These are the words that will be put to the Australian people in the upcoming referendum as agreed by the Referendum Working Group (made up of representatives of First Nations communities from around Australia):

"A Proposed Law: to alter the Constitution to recognise the First Peoples of Australia by establishing an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice. Do you approve this proposed alteration?"

As well as that, it will be put to Australians that the constitution be amended to include a new chapter titled "Recognition of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples".

The details would be:

View attachment 1636890

The Prime Minister has committed to the government introducing legislation with this wording to parliament on 30 March 2023 and to establishing a joint parliamentary committee to consider it and receive submissions on the wording, providing ALL members of Parliament with the opportunity to consider and debate the full details of the proposal.

Parliament will then vote on the wording in June in the lead up to a National Referendum.

The ANU has issued a paper responding to common public concerns expressed in relation to the proposed Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Voice here:

Summary details of the key points from this paper may be found in Chief post here:
The Uluru Statement from the Heart:
Not specifically No. In any case it does not form part of the Referendum proposal.

View attachment 1769742
Seeing as things have gotten a bit toxic in here, let's try to return things to a more civil tone.

The following will result in warnings to begin with, and if said behaviour continues will be escalated:
  • referring to another poster as racist without direct provocation.
  • dismissing or deriding another poster's lived experience.
  • personal attacks or one line posts designed solely to insult or deride.

You might notice that the final rule is from the board rules. Thought we should probably remember that this is against the rules in case it's been forgotten.

Let's play nicely from here, people.

We should never forget that Australia is the one and only English-speaking country that enforces compulsory voting. I support it. But I think compulsory voting means that the large portion of people who don't follow politics are prone to parroting political talking points. The binary yes/no question has highlighted that very well.

It seems to be why three-word slogans work. People repeat them in conversation and become free, sometimes unwitting volunteers for the campaign. When you throw the seeds of catchy slogans into the soil of a compulsory voter base, they grow into votes and spread.
As usual the rusted on voters are a constant.
The vote will be decided by thinking voters.

Resentment.

Messages are flowing thick and fast in my circles, mostly negative. I reckon I could summarise them all as resentful that some one or some group is getting something that is not for me.

As far as I can tell this is the whole no case. Why should I find out, there is nothing in it for me. Why should I take the risk, there is nothing in it for me. Why should I give something, anything to anyone else when there is nothing in it for me.

It is pure resentment and frankly it is sad.

Resentment.

Messages are flowing thick and fast in my circles, mostly negative. I reckon I could summarise them all as resentful that some one or some group is getting something that is not for me.

As far as I can tell this is the whole no case. Why should I find out, there is nothing in it for me. Why should I take the risk, there is nothing in it for me. Why should I give something, anything to anyone else when there is nothing in it for me.

i call that entitlement and i'm seeing it more in society now than 20 years ago.

Resentment.

Albo refused to answer Duttons questions - the vote has gone South from there. Own it,

There is no place for a racial divide in Australian citizenship.

Albo refused to answer Duttons questions - the vote has gone South from there. Own it,

you know our constitution already allows for race based laws so the division is already there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That level of delusion is actually hilarious

“If you don’t know, vote no” are now the thinking voters 🤷‍♂️

Slogans are a reality in Australian politics in this era of talking points.

Preaching to the rusted on is a waste of time.

Denigrate people for not agreeing with you? This slogan is that powerful, nonsense. You really need to get out & talk to people who decide their vote on what they consider the issues, NOT what you consider the issues should be.

i call that entitlement and i'm seeing it more in society now than 20 years ago.
I agree about the entitlement bit and it probably was not so bad 20 years ago.

But, Howard knew this 30 years ago. He knew there was more ground to be made by fattening up the middle than solving the problems of the marginalised. That is what middle class welfare was and that is why Howard went all in on it.

And that has entrenched an attitude in Australia that the marginilsed are responsible for their own plight. When Morrison says "if you have a go, you'll get a go" this is precisely what he is reinforcing - don't expect a free ride (despite the fact the middle class are permanently on the teat) - it is up to you to get to us.

Dutton made it ok for people to say no. If there was bipartisan support and every major corporation, celebrity, sports star and authority in the country was on board Australia would have fallen into line. That is what Australia does.

But once Dutton made it ok to say no, the other thing Australia does kicked in - they asked well what is in it for me?

Slogans are a reality in Australian politics in this era of talking points.

Preaching to the rusted on is a waste of time.

Denigrate people for not agreeing with you? This slogan is that powerful, nonsense. You really need to get out & talk to people who decide their vote on what they consider the issues, NOT what you consider the issues should be.
I go eavesdropping at the supermarket all the time ;)

Can you please support your claim that The Indigenous Voice to Parliament would create a racial divide in Australian citizenship, or please delete that claim.

Or at the very least, walk it back.
Your claim is not true, so you cannot support it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back